Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To be or not to be a SU demo?

That is the question. I'm second guessing myself, I think. I have been in contact with a great gal that is willing to be my upline and she seems really wonderful and very helpful. I guess I'm just wondering, how hard is it to sell $300 worth every 3 months? We are building a house and baby #3 is due in 7 weeks. I say this so you will understand that I probably won't be able to hold any workshops anytime soon. I know this is a great time to sign up though. I just think dh would have a fit if I have to buy $300 worth of stamps every 3 months for me. So, what would you do???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappindixieView Post
That is the question. I'm second guessing myself, I think. I have been in contact with a great gal that is willing to be my upline and she seems really wonderful and very helpful. I guess I'm just wondering, how hard is it to sell $300 worth every 3 months? We are building a house and baby #3 is due in 7 weeks. I say this so you will understand that I probably won't be able to hold any workshops anytime soon. I know this is a great time to sign up though. I just think dh would have a fit if I have to buy $300 worth of stamps every 3 months for me. So, what would you do???
I was kinda in the same boat when I signed up. Well not exactally the same boat;), but I knew I couldn't afford to make my minimums myself. The way I looked at it, is the starter kit is a great value, you get 30% off your first order and I signed up last year when the kit was discounted. So if worse came to worse and I couldn't meet my minimums, I'd be dropped. Big deal-I still got a lot of stuff for a really great price (and in your case you'll also get a any price stamp set free), KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Well first, congratuations on your baby and new house. With that said, it doesn't sound like it's a good time for you to become an SU! demo. I was a demo for 2 years, and working full-time, etc. I found it was difficult to put as much work that is needed into SU! Also, unless you know alot of people that are going to support you and order frequently, you probably will end up being your own best customer - as I was, and it was NOT good for my wallet. However, I found it was such a huge relief when I quit, and I could concentrate more on stamping and scrapbooking and not worrying about whether I was going to meet my quota, and actually spending my money on things I really wanted.

I hope this helps a little. I know you probably really want to join SU! right now, but you have to decide whether the timing is right. Remember also, if you do join and then realize you can't do it right now, to join again you will have to pay that start up cost all over again.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well....I'm signing up knowing that I will be my only customer. I quit being a demo over a year ago when the timing really wasn't right for me.

If I couldn't meet the minimums and was building a house and having a third child, I have to be honest -- I think I'd stay a customer until the time was right, KWIM?

Plus, there is the teeny issue of your husband...hmm..might want to be on the same page with him!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I am going to sign up, simply because I have spent over $300 the last 2 quarters, so I might as well get a discount for myself. I started to sign up in Sept. when they had the family of pads free, but I had only been stamping for a few months, and wasn't sure how much I would continue to spend. After looking at the new catty and seeing my wish list, I decided to go ahead and sign up. My mom will also order from me to help me make my minimums. And if I don't want to spend that much on stamps in the future, then I can just drop out. However, I am single, have no children, and nothing to spend my money on besides rent, bills, and stamps, so my situation is totally different than yours. Guess that doesn't really help your decision does it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

What some people aren't mentioning is the fact that if you sign up in January, you won't have to meet your quarterly minimum until April, May, June. So you have a while to get your name out there and get people to book workshops if you wanted them to or to have a couple catalog parties or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I haven't checked the demo manual lately, but when I signed up last January, they were allowing new demos 6 months to meet the $300 minimum. After that it went to $300 for the quarter. You do get a great deal when you get the kit, you do get the free set, you do get the extra discount/instant income on the first order you place as long as it's w/in the first 45 days of becomming a demo. All of which is great...

But, here's the flip side - it's extremely easy to get carried away when you have no accountability of a demo who will see just how much you are spending, when all you have to do is get on the internet and click a few buttons and then the nice UPS man shows up with a fantastic box of new stuff. It's also always easy to talk your self into going ahead and spending more b/c you want to qualify for the hostess benefits and you are only 'x' amount away from it. And most new demos go through this for about a year from what I've read - I'm just now coming up on my year and the newness of it all is wearing off. Don't get me wrong, I still order - placed a big one today in fact, but it was Christmas money that I knew I'd be using for this specific purpose. I still prefer Stampin' UP over anything else - but I'm also blessed in the fact that I now have a group who want to do a club so I can remain active at least the next 6 months w/o having to feel that I have to buy to meet minimums, etc (not that being above mins has been a problem thusfar - but I have WAY too much stuff now - oops).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

If you don't have the money to spend to meet the minimums and you don't have any prospective customers, now might not be the right time for you. Do you have anyone who may be a customer who could help you meet the minimums? The great thing is that you have plenty of time to think about it and talk it over with your husband. The opportunity will always be there when it's right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I am a sahm to 2 wonderful little girls, (one being a newborn) I just have to keep my self organized and it seems to be fine for me. What will really help you is to get a customer base, even if they only order from you once a quarter that way your not meeting the minimums yourself. You did mention not being able to do workshops right now, that is the best way to get a customer base, but if you know a few ladies who are interested maybe you could start a club, it only meets once a month, you can have it at your house so it's easier for you (once it's built) and then you know your minimums are being met. Hopefully that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I am a single working mom, and have been a demo for over two years. I have never had a problem meeting the $300 sales. I put enough money in an account to keep me going for one year when I started thinking that if I was the only one who wanted it, I would get out after a year. At the end of the year I still had that amount of money, and had bought tons of stuff myself. I live in a small town, 6000, and am still getting new customers. A few have come and gone, but most keep ordering a few things every few months. Some hostesses have parties every year cause they know the benefits are wonderful. Sometimes the fun wears off and it is an actual job. I am not in it for the money, but for the relationships I make and the products. Definetely check with dh to see if it is right for you at this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Here's another issue to consider. TAX TIME - need I say more? I don't even remember how that works, but what I do remember that alot of my stuff ended up being a write-off. But if you're having parties, etc., you will have to deal with this. I'm sure there are alot of others out there who are active and know more about this, who can fill you in. I really don't know what "hobby demo's" do about taxes, but I would like to know in case I ever want to rejoin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I think a huge question is, can you afford the minimums by yourself? With a new baby and a new house, you really need to take that into consideration unless you already have a pool of people who will be your customers and order regularly. It will take at least 6 months to get rolling. I give myself a year of being my best customer. I am either signing in February or March, I have a couple of auctions on ebay and if they sell, I will sign in February. Also, if you are signing and are sure of it, you may want to wait until April to sign so you have until the end of September for your first qualifying order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a SAHM of 2 little boys (soon to be 5 yrs old and 3 yrs old) and will be a demo for 2 years in June, 2008. I love it! Balancing the workshops have been a little crazy, but it has been worth it. I currently have a hostess club of 12 ladies and a Japanese stampin' group.

When I first started out, I formed a hostess club right away. They helped me meet my minimums. It was a simple Tips and Techniques Hostess Club. They made 2 cards and a project. This time, the ladies wanted more so I formed a "Coupons and Cards Club" where they receive a discount "coupon" every month and 5-6 cards to make and take. It's a lot of work, but these ladies are worth it.

I open up my home every first Sunday and Monday of the month to these ladies (except for this month). A few ladies come from 1-3p (while my youngest naps) on Sunday and a few more come from 7-9p (after the boys go to bed) that evening. Then a few more come over from 9:30a - 11:30a (while my oldest is in preschool) on Monday morning and then the last group comes over that evening from 7-9p (after the boys are in bed). It's great!

I have made good friends with a couple of other demonstrators in the area who are just great support and full of inspiration and information. Best of all, they are now my dearest friends.

I never mentioned why I became a demonstrator.
I had really bad post-partum with my second child. My doctor suggested finding something I could focus on and be passionate about. A friend of mine decided to stop being a demo and said that it was okay with her if I became a demo and took over for her (we ran in the same group of friends). So that's how Whoopsie Daisy started.

When I became a demonstrator, I went into thinking if this doesn't work out, it's not that big a deal. I get a great deal on the starter kit and an extra quarter to work things out. Things happen for a reason. A lot of wonderful things have happened for me just because of a small step I took with an "Oh well" and I am really glad I did it!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Congratulations with the new home and baby #3!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a SAHM of 2 boys (4 1/2 and 2). I've been a Demo for a little over a year and love it. I have never had to meet the minimums by myself and I usually meet it in the first week or so of a quarter. It is nice that my Mom and sister are huge stampers so they buy a lot and share their loot with me!

I started to do SU! because I wanted to do something for me. I hated just being the Mom or the wife. I've had a blast and I've never looked back and regretted it.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I think it depends on where you live as to whether you will have to meet the minimums yourself or not. Really there are consultants who have resigned because they had no customers. I live in the same town with my demo/future upline. She already has all the customers wrapped up here. I work for IBM and home school my son, so really I am not so sure where I will get customers from. I am going to hit up my sister upstate because she and her friends scrapbook but I know I will have to do minimums by myself for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I am a SAHM to one preschooler. I signed up in September and had no idea how it was going to work out. I figured I could make my first minimum in four months, but I didn't think there was anyway I could reach that first Stampin' Start goal. ($1800 in sales in the first full three months). I did. Now granted I got a little carried away with my first 30% off order but I hear what other people spend and I am no where near that either (of course I'm not making money yet either to reinvest.)

All it really takes is one "golden" customer to meet your minimums. If you find that one customer who wants to purchase once a month or so and can introduce you to others who want to purchase occasionally, they will make your minimums for you. Actually, I would love to find another one!

Only you know whether you can make it work. But you'll never know if you don't try and it's not like some of the other DSA companies where you have to hold so many events in so much time to stay qualified.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I've hummmed and hawwwed about becomming an SU demo. Ultimately, I'd decided that I am not going ot do it. I appreciate that there are lots of great reasons to become an SU demo, however, it is just not going to work for me.

Here are my reasons why - I cannot seem to limit myself to just use SU products!! I love them but I love other lines too much to just stick to SU!! I cannot spend enough money to have to buy new stamps every time a new catelog comes out!! I love all my stamps and I would never be able to not use them on cards for classes just because they have retired. Finally, I just love to create and I would worry that the "business" side of being an SU demo would get in my way of just being able to be creative!! That all being said...don't get me wrong....I LOVE Stampin' UP!!! It is an excellent company with great products (love their color families) it is just that being a demo is not right for me :-)

Good luck making a decision!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Hello. Congrats on just thinking about it The way I look at it is "You have nothing to lose". As far as a business venture goes, you can't get anymore 'low risk' than this and you will never start another business on $199. If it works out for you.. great! If not, your starter kit is well worth more than you spent.

With that being said, I am a SAHM with 5 children. My youngest is 3 months old. I have been a demo. for almost 9 years now, so have gone through pregnancies, newborns, toddlers and more through the years. My business has ebbed and flowed to meet the changing needs of my family. What other 'job' can you say that about? I also homeschool and it all just works very well together.

In all the almost 9 years, I have only had one quarter where I needed to put in my own money to reach minimums. Stampin' Up! has come a long way since I first started, good and not so good, and I can't imagine ever giving it up.

Hope you make a decision that works for your family. Congrats on your new little one about to arrive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Wiggydl

a slight highjack for wiggydl.....I noticed your blog, 'wiggy's world'. My maiden name was Wigfield and I was the youngest in my family. My siblings' friends always called me 'little wiggy'. Just struck me funny when I saw your blog name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

If you can afford the minimums, and you are already spending the money I'd say go ahead and sign up because it is a fantastic deal. If it would be a hardship to commit to the minimums and your dh is not totally on board with you on this, then perhaps not.. I always try to remember this. There is always going to be another deal around the corner. SU will be there when the time is right for you, but only you can decide when that time is.. Best of luck with your new baby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

If you sign up this quarter, your first minimum isn't due until the end of June. You didn't say when your baby is due (so I don't know if this is feasible), but if you really want to sign up, you might consider signing up this month. Yep, I know you would miss out on the free set, but...you could set a date now to host your own event during Sale-a-Bration. That event alone (you have to invite everyone you know and follow up with a phone call) could meet your minimum without a problem. You might even get enough people to start a club--that would definitely keep your minimums met and you would have a group of stamping friends!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm a SAHM to four with the fifth on the way and I've been a demo for 1-1/2 years. I did start a hostess club right away because I knew that I could not afford to meet the minimums by myself. With that being said, it was not hard to find a group of people interested! My business has grown from there. I don't do a whole heck of a lot. I keep it to one or two classes per month as well as my stamp club. That's about all I have time for and all I want to do with my business.

Basically, you have to look at what you would like from this adventure. Do you spend that much already? Then the added benefit of a discount is perfect, not to mention the other benefits that your potential upline can tell you about. Talk to your hubby, be clear and honest about what you want and what he expects from you as well! It is not a good thing to create any financial stress in a marriage because of stamps!!
Reply With Quote Likes