Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you use the bone folder for?

I've always been a crafter, did folk art painting for years, now scrapbooking and cardmaking are what take up hours of my time! Anyways I've seen these bone folders for years and wondered what they're for. They're certainly not cheap and I have no clue what to do with them. Recently I read somewhere that someone worked the edges of their cardstock with it (to give it that worn look). Anything you can tell me about this tool would be appreciated! If it's worth it, well then I should have it - right?? ;)

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought that too, and now I absolutely can't live without it. I have THREE!!! Id do use the potato peeler style of distressing the edges of cardstock, but I also use it for the suede technique, and of course it's most everyday use for making perfect, flat folds in cardstock. I'd say it is a must with SU's lovely, heavy cardstock. If you use cheapo CS you probably can do just as well with your finger, but for the heavier-weight stuff a bone folder is awesome.
Let's see, I also use it to score stuff, to dip embossing powder and glitter out of the containers, and to hold back my hair when I'm stamping : ) HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

PS--I would get the SU bone folder, BTW.... the ones that are sold in some craft stores are actually so thin they are flexible, which is NOT a good quality in a bone folder. Sometimes they're not even bone. SU's are solid actual cow bone and are nice and thick. I don't know why it works, but it does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I got my bone folder at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 and it's VERY sturdy and hard - you can feel the items through the cellophane to tell if it's decent or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #5  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
PS--I would get the SU bone folder, BTW.... the ones that are sold in some craft stores are actually so thin they are flexible, which is NOT a good quality in a bone folder. Sometimes they're not even bone. SU's are solid actual cow bone and are nice and thick. I don't know why it works, but it does!
I also like the SU size. Occasionally I use someone else's and it is so long it is cumbersome.

I use mine to also create a line if I am going to tear and I want a little help to get it to go in the direction I want. I score first and then rip.

I do not have a scoring blade on my cutter, so I use the wheel guide and the bone folder to create scored edges for projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I used to think I didn't need one either. I finally bought one (had a wild hair or something) and found out I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT! I misplaced it and went on ahead and ordered another right away b/c I missed it so much.
I mostly use it instead of a scoring blade - it doesn't cut the paper like my scoring blade used to and slides right down inside the track nice and straight.

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

i never had one and started to use and loved it. a few days later i must have throw the bonefolder by accident i the garbage with the scrappaper. i went the very next day and got an other one. there are differences in quality my first one was michaels and liked it better was expensiver as the one from joanns i have right now.

i use mine to score paper.

we learned how to make this
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
at a workshop. you use the bonefolder to mark the lines where to fold and than to give the paper a crisp fold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks ladies for all your helpful suggestions.... now I have another question - what is the potatoe peeler distressing method?? You got my attention with that one!

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I also use mine when I use background stamps. Ink up your background and lay your cardstock on top of the stamp and then take the bone folder and rub over the cardstock to get go image.
Reply With Quote Likes