Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #81  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownee
Paula..here is what I did last year for Ava's teacher. I am not sure yet what I will do this year. She *may* have the same teacher as the teacher moved up to 2nd grade. If she doesn't then something similar is in order, but if she has the same teacher I am going to have to come up with something different..LOL...I love the idea of the stamped note cards or scratch paper-that is awesome!

Teacher Gift 2005-2006
Keva, those are super cute!

My creative therapy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxieStamps
I am not about to go spending more money then I already do. The school year starts and they are begging for supplies, so I fork out $ and buy them a ton of supplies. They are constantly asking for something and I get tired of it. Not to mention all the parties and other crap. Sorry to sound so harsh but that is their job, I don't get gifts for coming to work.
yes, teaching is our job and we shell out more for our classrooms that you'll ever know. I go to Wal-Mart and Target each July/August and buy extra glue, crayons, notebooks, rulers, etc., because I don't want anybody in my classroom to go without. Sometimes you have NO CLUE what kind of home environment they live in. I had a student last year that didn't have supplies and I had plenty to give her (family couldn't afford anything at that time). The little girl cried when I gave them to her--no one had done that before. Sure made her feel good and me, too.
We don't expect BTS gifts but it's nice when a child/parent shows some sort of appreciation unexpectedly.
I personally am making altered clipboards for my fellow 4th grade teachers (got the idea here!). I'm the "team leader" and I want to show my appreciation to them for all they do make my "job" a little easier..

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof5boys1girl
I can not believe how rude some folks are.... It's NOT a privilege to teach our children. Believe me I have 5 in school this year and you want to talk about expensive.... book fees $1600 monthly tuition $720.... The least I can do is take a few minutes to make a card and give them a small gift. Something little like a beaded pen for the girl teacher and a nice pen from WalMart for the guy teachers. Or a "teacher survival kit" with goodies. It doesn't have to cost a lot. It's the thought.
I'm sure the teachers appreciate it too...you are absolutely right--it's the thought.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #84  
Crimping Master

We have a store that the teachers buy supplies at, a gift card there is ALWAYS appreciated. I usually just ask on meet the teachers night, is there anything you could use for the class room. If they are okay, then I get extra hand sanitizers, clorox wipes, kleenex, etc.

I am just amazed at how NEGATIVE some people can be towards someone trying to be generous. I have 3 kids 4th, 2nd and pre-school. We are not exactly rolling in money, but I still like to help out the people who help educate my children. Yes it is their JOB, but I know for a fact that I could not deal with 30+ kids like they do for as little money as they get. A small token of any kind even a extra box of kleenex means that is one less thing that comes out of their pocket to benefit my child.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #85  
Gallery Gazer

That's a really good question. I do a beginning of the year gift. Sometimes a gift card for Office Max or Staples, plus something I've stamped, and some goodies. I also do a gift for EVERY Holiday and also a big end of the year gift. Teachers work hard with OUR kids and are very underpaid. I'm surprised that most of you don't do this already.

Robyn

My Gallery
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #86  
Stampin' Fool

A big thank you to all of you that are thinking of back to school gifts. I am entering my 10th yr. in a middle school classroom. I avg. 130-160 students a year and I appreciate any and all gifts that I may receive. Once a child reaches middle school and has many teachers, the gifts are fewer and far between. I too am stocking up on school supplies with my own money. I buy them now while they are cheaper. My son is starting preschool this year and I bought extra supplies for his classroom as well. I spend a ton of my own money each year to fund my science labs, for posters, for treats for my students etc. I hold bimonthly lotto drawings for my students to win prizes. Those come out of my pocket.
I will be making back to school gifts too. For my new team and new dept. (I moved up a grade level for this school year) and for my son's teachers. I am still thinking of ideas (the ones on this thread are fantastic).

Jeanette
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

[quote=tc82742]my DD's teacher had a treasure chest in her room filled with cheap oriental trading trinket/stuff.. and the kids LOVED it.
for every donation they brought in, they got to visit the treasure chest..
FANTASTIC idea!! I have a wooden treasure chest in my classroom, and it is packed with stuff from oriental trading..I think I will take your donation idea and put it to use!!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #88  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizlady
I found several ideas for bus driver survival kits & poems:

Bus Driver
Bus Driver Kit

Tootsie roll - so you can "roll" down the highway
Sponge - to soak up the rain, so you don't have to drive in it
Mounds - for the mounds of miles that you drive
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost
Gem - to remind you that you are carrying precious cargo
Aspirin - take two every day
Cotton Ball - to cushion those rough roads
Rubberbands - for when your patience is stretched
Tums - for all the nervous stomachs
Mirror - to remind you how important you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bus Driver Kit

A stick of gum - To remind you to stick with it!
A paper clip - To help keep things together.
A pencil - For the next time somebody says "get the lead out"
An eraser - To erase any mistakes or misunderstandings.
Crayons - To "color" your days bright and sunny
A tissue - To wipe away a tear-- your own or someone else's.
A poem - To share the beauty of words.
A penny - So you have enough "cents" to realize what a good job you are doing
A piece of string - For when you reach the end of your rope - this will keep you going a bit longer
A band aid - For healing hurt feelings, yours and someone else's.
A candle - To find your way to the bus on those dark mornings.
A rubber band - A reminder to stay flexible
A cotton ball - For the rough roads, seek the cushioned support of your family and friends.
A recipe - To make when you have all that extra time in the summer!
A joke - Laughter is the best medicine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bus Driver Poem
Special Person Author:Carolyn Henry

She is a special person, I'm sure you'll all agree
She's the kind of person, I wanted her to be

She is very responsible, in caring for your child
She won't let them be rowdy, and they can't be wild

She drives the bus they ride on, each and every day
she makes sure they are careful, on the bus when they play

She does your job for you, when you send them out the door
They are hers to care for, Until they are home once more.

Do you ever think about her, and the job she does for you
Do you ever say Thank you, for watching all this crew

She's not in it for the pay, there's not enough for that,
She wants to take care of them, and that is where its at

Do you put yourself in her place, as you send them out the door
Do you know she worries, until they're home once more

That is your most precious possession, she is holding in her hand
She knows this and wishes, someone would understand

She is your School Bus Driver but don't you sell her short
She is caring for your children, and she's doing it from her heart.

Poem for bus drivers

Heroes
There are heroes in our land today that never receive any recognition
Some of these are a child's first acquaintance of education.
Now a teacher might be the first one who comes to your mind,
But I speak of the bus driver for which the kids wait in line.

For a moment, put your self in the bus driver's shoes,
And I'm sure you will find that it's a job you might not want to choose.
Just think what it would be like to baby sit for sixty kids or better,
And remember you must chauffeur this bus load of kids regardless of the weather.

I must admit, to be in front of a classroom with 20-30 kids wouldn't be a picnic,
But to drive 60 kids over icy roads would set my nerves on edge and make my stomach sick.
A school bus driver is like the postman and must go regardless of rain, snow, gloom, and darkest of night,
But no postman ever had to have 60 kids, clean up their mess, or break up a fight.

A child can have a bad day at school without any warning,
But can be forgotten when a bus driver says, " Have a good evening, I'll see you in the morning".
Ask any student, what heroes of theirs never received any fame,
And I'll bet a bus driver will be among those that they name.

Author: Dave Arnold

These fun kits are made simply by adding all of the "ingredients", printing the list of items and their meaning and putting it all in a jar with a nice decorative jar topper. These are inexpensive kits, especially if you can recycle the jar from your kitchen (keep your eye open for nice jelly and relish jars at the store.

Return to index
That is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes!! Your children are my number one priority every monring and afternoon!! It is an extreme amount of responsibilty! Think how distracted you can get with 2 kids in the car now add 66 to that!! I drive around 180 children to and from school each day..when it is freezing cold at 6am and sweltering hot at 3pm...BUT your children are the main reason. They are so sweet and always have smiles on their faces! I pay for decorations on my bus and even get parent permission to hand out little candies through the year. I LOVE my job (yes even when cleaning up "accidents" LOL) and I wouldnt dream of giving it up!! I think this is how a lot of teachers feel too! They are not in it for the money but the satisfaction of seeing a smile on a childs face when they learn how to read or write and can add 2+2!! OK anyways thanks for the poems--I am going to print one of them off and put them in our office-brighten all the drivers day!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #89  
Crimping Master

Something that my teachers like is, believe it or not, but happy meal type things, to add to their pile of goodie bag that the kids get to pick from for being good, turning in something early, whatever she rewards them for. I gladly hand those over, my kids will fight over an identical item. Then a day later no one wants it. One less item for me to trip over (at least until it comes back then the next fight is on )
Old 08-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #90  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by love scrappin
That is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes!! Your children are my number one priority every monring and afternoon!! It is an extreme amount of responsibilty! Think how distracted you can get with 2 kids in the car now add 66 to that!! I drive around 180 children to and from school each day..when it is freezing cold at 6am and sweltering hot at 3pm...BUT your children are the main reason. They are so sweet and always have smiles on their faces! I pay for decorations on my bus and even get parent permission to hand out little candies through the year. I LOVE my job (yes even when cleaning up "accidents" LOL) and I wouldnt dream of giving it up!! I think this is how a lot of teachers feel too! They are not in it for the money but the satisfaction of seeing a smile on a childs face when they learn how to read or write and can add 2+2!! OK anyways thanks for the poems--I am going to print one of them off and put them in our office-brighten all the drivers day!

Thank you for all you do!! We love our bus driver and have had him for 2 years. He brings cupcakes for ALL the kids birthdays and all the kids get them. He takes end of the year pictures of all the kids and sends them home. He also gives them ornaments every year for our tree. He is also on my list of people that I give gifts to. I also like to give something little to the lady who opens my car door when I dropped off my Kindergartener in the afternoon. She only took the bus home. She was the sweetest lady to us after that. Kindness always brings a smile to people's face.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Our school distrct does it for all the staff. The student council collects donation or products through out the school year for the following year. I find that having
the student council members make the bags it makes them appreciate the teachers and supporting staff. IMO.

Suzi
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

I think this is a very sweet idea, but I would be more likely to send something of a practical nature. One of my son's teachers had been teaching for a long time and had received a lifetime of little perfumes, lotions, and other do-dahs, so she suggested that parents buy a gift for the classroom instead. I thought that was a pretty nice idea. A special book, game, or a CD would probably be really appreciated and you could inscribe your child's name on it as the giver.

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #93  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinmomof3
C'mon ladies.... you mean you don't give little "serceis" to welcome the school year back?! I'm shocked! I've done this for goin' on 6 years! it's nothing huge like Christmas or end of school gifts but a little "something" to say... I'm looking forward to a great year! I just need something I haven't done yet & thought some of you would share... the post it's sound great!
At the school my child attends it is customary to send in "Welcome back to class" Teacher gifts.

This will be the first year my daughter will be changing classes so I am not sure if the same "customs" apply but I am making a paper bag purse type thing with four stamped cards w/envies inside, stamped on the outside and blank on the inside. The little purse bag will be stamped and have decorative paper on it as well. I figure teachers are always sending notes so it would be cute and useful. The gym teacher is going to have basketballs, soccer and other sporting goods on it, Music teacher will have musical notes wheeled on it like the wheel on page 93 of the Stampin up! catalog. I have not decided on the rest, she will have homeroom, math, science and art tecahers as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentil
I think this is a very sweet idea, but I would be more likely to send something of a practical nature. One of my son's teachers had been teaching for a long time and had received a lifetime of little perfumes, lotions, and other do-dahs, so she suggested that parents buy a gift for the classroom instead. I thought that was a pretty nice idea. A special book, game, or a CD would probably be really appreciated and you could inscribe your child's name on it as the giver.
we did that last year too.
during book fair, we bought books for the classroom, and another time, they were asking for the large books, like big 2foot books to be donated. so my DD donated a book in her brothers memory..
there are tons of ways to help out, and they dont have to break the bank.. the large book was like.. 9.00 maybe from scholastic.
the book fair books are like 4.00 a piece.
they benefit your child!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #95  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistoffoleese
Something that my teachers like is, believe it or not, but happy meal type things, to add to their pile of goodie bag that the kids get to pick from for being good, turning in something early, whatever she rewards them for. I gladly hand those over, my kids will fight over an identical item. Then a day later no one wants it. One less item for me to trip over (at least until it comes back then the next fight is on )
Yes! Our full-day kindy teacher has a "caught being good" treasure box. I have kept her treasure box filled the last 3 years. Kids nowadays get innundated with little toys of all sorts; in happy meals, in b-day bags, in fundraiser "prizes", even in store packaging like batteries. I keep a box in the basement and all the little balls and other items that we either have too many of OR just hold no interest for the kids go into the box. I hand off the box to her the beginning of each school year. I know these cheapie toys will eventually get thrown away...but I like the recycling/positive reinforcement use before that happens. Frankly, though, I am shocked at how many of these toys are handed out...last year I had a good sized box nearly filled to hand off!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 08-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #96  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

DH was a high school teacher but now is college, so we went from a large proportion of Christmas and End of Year gifts (no one around here does Back to School) to almost none. The ONLY gifts we missed were the handwritten notes, (well ok, and the grocery store gift cards!)
The gifts we did NOT miss receiving were endless plates of Christmas cookies, large quantities of mediocre chocolate, and cutsie teddy bear teacher mugs (I mean, come on, what does a 30 year old MALE teacher need with eighty teddy bear mugs?????).
So many times you could tell the gifts were mass produced, without even the teacher's name on the cards.... often the cookies aren;t even homemade, but were put on a plate with a bow. That really tells the teacher that you appreciate him! I don't mean to diss anyone if that's what you have resorted to, but really, the teacher would rather not get anything at all if you are that stressed out by the holidays.
Whatever you do, if you choose to do it, make it PERSONAL. Have your child write the note or at least sign it. Take your kid with you to pick it out or let them help you make it.
A heartfelt card is plenty, if you're short on cash or don't have time to shop. Really, a card during the middle of the year is much more likely to be appreciated than a form letter and a fruitcake at Christmas.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #97  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is what I am making them. One for my son's preschool teachers (there will be 2 teachers and possibly 2 aides). http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...99&limit=last1

Then for my daughter's 3rd grade teacher - http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...33802&cat=5663

I like to make things and what's the point of making it if I'm not going to give it to someone?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistoffoleese

This is a GREAT idea...I was just wondering what to do with HM toys other than THROW THEM OUT!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

I am a middle school teacher, and I must say, this is the first school where students have given me BTS gifts, but I think it's really thoughtful. Most have brought me things like pens/pencils, lotion (good idea!), post-it notes, CD's (I'm a music teacher), and knowing I'm a tea drinker they've brought herbal teas.
Maybe think of like a small bag of nice teas with some pens/pencils. I'm tellin' ya', pens and pencils walk away all the time, we can never have too many!

When words fail, Music speaks.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #100  
Crimping Master

Slightly off topic -- did you see the cute explosion boxes that disneygirl made for the parents of her kindergarten students? http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...oto=335214What a cute idea.

There are so many hard-working underappreciated teachers that a back to school gift for them is a great idea. And here is a teacher doing something sweet for the parents of her class.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #101  
Crimping Master

Sorry. Here is the link. It blended with my next sentence.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...p?photo=335214
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #102  
Stampin' Fool

I have never heard of a "back to school" gift for teachers, but it is a sweet idea. (I homeschool my kids, so I don't have to get teacher gifts ever.) I think the idea of a big chocolate bar with a stamped wrapper would be cute - or perhaps a small packet of bath stuff for an "after the first day" unwinding?

And for everyone who is complaining about what they pay for supplies, those of us who homeschool need to buy supplies and pay for curriculum. Not complaining, just pointing out that back to school time is tight for everyone. I'm sure the teachers have dug into their pockets to get things ready for their classroom as well. Even something small, like a hand-stamped card saying welcome back and I'm looking forward to this year would be very appreciated.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #103  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlalei
I can't believe some of this feedback. But then again, if you don't appreciate your child's teacher than you're right, you shouldn't give them a gift. After all, a gift is something to create goodwill and if you feel that much resentment towards your child's teacher, it would be inappropriate to give them a gift. Personally, and let me preface by saying my child is pre-school age so I have no personal experience other than having friends who are teachers...but I feel like anyone who makes the sacrifice to teach our young, and with what they get paid, it IS a sacrifice, they deserve to be recognized in a non-monetary way. With some of the parents they must deal with, is it any wonder that our teachers burn out so quickly???
I agree with what you said, I think the gesture of a gift is wonderful!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #104  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
... Really, a card during the middle of the year is much more likely to be appreciated than a form letter and a fruitcake at Christmas.
Just a slight hijack here....Did you know that fruitcake is a delicacy in New Zealand? We lived there for several years and were shocked that everyone LOVED it. It is even the PREFERRED cake at weddings. We did share that in America you only sent fruit cakes to those people who you didn't like. They that it was hilarious! So, now, everytime I see fruitcake mentioned, I just giggle.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #105  
Rubber Obsessor

In Russia, the first day of school is a huge event... for all age children. The children wear their best clothes and carry flowers to their teachers. There is always pictures taken of the children holding the flowers and dressed in suits and frilly dresses.

My son starts school this year, and I have every intention of sending him to school with a gift for his teacher. I love all the fun ideas shared here!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndie
yes, teaching is our job and we shell out more for our classrooms that you'll ever know. I go to Wal-Mart and Target each July/August and buy extra glue, crayons, notebooks, rulers, etc., because I don't want anybody in my classroom to go without.

THANK YOU!!! Apparently the poster you responded to doesn't understand a few things:

1) Many families cannot or choose not to buy all of the supplies on the list. I went ot Target last week and spent $80 on markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue stix, etc. because I KNOW some kids won't have them. Not to mention, they will be lost, taken home, whatever by Thanksgiving, and God forbid I ask for more supplies then!

2) Let's be honest... do the math. Your child's teacher spends more time with your child than you do in a day -- sleeping doesn't count!

3) There is no other job I can think of where the employee goes to college, gets a degree, then has to continue their education on their own dime in order to get pay raises, pay for a license, AND buy their own work supplies! And this is seen as completely normal and acceptable! I spend at least $400 per year on your kids... between supplies, books, rewards... and this is not abnormal expenses for teachers.

A gift is NOT required, but it is VERY appreciated. A card/note/simple email of a sincere thank you is the best gift you can offer. But I get the feeling here that some are not appreciative, and I think that's sad.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #107  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Smile

I'm very sorry that there isn't a special day set aside to honnor people in every profession but you can always make your own special day at your own job. Honestly it does seems a bit sad when you think about it that we have to have actual holidays to be reminded ourselves to say thanks to others for what they do. To bad it doesn't just come naturally and more often. If no one thanks you for what you do at your job and makes you feel great sometimes, take the step and start by making others around you feel special. Get the ball rolling all by yourself! There have been times I didn't feel very appreciated as a teacher and those are usually the times I stop thinking about myself and go make something nice for my co-workers. I don't know about everyone else but I feel happy when I'm able to make someone else's day better. There is nothing wrong with giving a gift or saying a well meant thank you to someone.

I usually get at least one back to school note or gift each year.
As a preschool and kinder. teacher for the past 10 years some of the very best gifts were the thank you card. I may have regifted a box of chocolates or a candle, but I have the hardest time putting a sweet thank you card into the trash.

Packs of thank yous are great gifts. And you may not think of it get well cards are good too. You always hope for a healthy year but it seems there are always several children that miss a week of school b/c they're sick and 1 or 2 children that get so sick they end up in the hospital at some point in the year. Little baskets/boxes of colored pens, markers, stickers... are great staple items that most teachers I know love. Whatever you do little or big, the fact that you did it is what is certainly appreciated!

And just a side note: While its totally the thought that counts, a teacher only has SOOO much desk space for all those $1 store nic-nacs!!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #108  
Die Cut Diva

Ok, here's just a little thought, but I think that including a book of stamps with your cards would be great. Even if the teacher doesn't send out your cards via mail, almost everyone I know has to mail something every once & awhile...

I'm wondering which supply store most teachers would like ~ an office supply store or a general store (like Target) ~ best?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #109  
Mad Swapper

I really like the idea of a back to school gift. What better way to start the year off?
I agree with the tequila...I actually gave my DD's teacher a nice bottle of wine on her last day of school. I figured she could definitely use it by then!
Ronda
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #110  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizlady
I found several ideas for bus driver survival kits & poems:

Bus Driver
Bus Driver Kit

Tootsie roll - so you can "roll" down the highway
Sponge - to soak up the rain, so you don't have to drive in it
Mounds - for the mounds of miles that you drive
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost
Gem - to remind you that you are carrying precious cargo
Aspirin - take two every day
Cotton Ball - to cushion those rough roads
Rubberbands - for when your patience is stretched
Tums - for all the nervous stomachs
Mirror - to remind you how important you are.

Bus Driver Kit

A stick of gum - To remind you to stick with it!
A paper clip - To help keep things together.
A pencil - For the next time somebody says "get the lead out"
An eraser - To erase any mistakes or misunderstandings.
Crayons - To "color" your days bright and sunny
A tissue - To wipe away a tear-- your own or someone else's.
A poem - To share the beauty of words.
A penny - So you have enough "cents" to realize what a good job you are doing
A piece of string - For when you reach the end of your rope - this will keep you going a bit longer
A band aid - For healing hurt feelings, yours and someone else's.
A candle - To find your way to the bus on those dark mornings.
A rubber band - A reminder to stay flexible
A cotton ball - For the rough roads, seek the cushioned support of your family and friends.
A recipe - To make when you have all that extra time in the summer!
A joke - Laughter is the best medicine.

Bus Driver Poem
Special Person Author:Carolyn Henry

She is a special person, I'm sure you'll all agree
She's the kind of person, I wanted her to be

She is very responsible, in caring for your child
She won't let them be rowdy, and they can't be wild

She drives the bus they ride on, each and every day
she makes sure they are careful, on the bus when they play

She does your job for you, when you send them out the door
They are hers to care for, Until they are home once more.

Do you ever think about her, and the job she does for you
Do you ever say Thank you, for watching all this crew

She's not in it for the pay, there's not enough for that,
She wants to take care of them, and that is where its at

Do you put yourself in her place, as you send them out the door
Do you know she worries, until they're home once more

That is your most precious possession, she is holding in her hand
She knows this and wishes, someone would understand

She is your School Bus Driver but don't you sell her short
She is caring for your children, and she's doing it from her heart.

Poem for bus drivers

Heroes
There are heroes in our land today that never receive any recognition
Some of these are a child's first acquaintance of education.
Now a teacher might be the first one who comes to your mind,
But I speak of the bus driver for which the kids wait in line.

For a moment, put your self in the bus driver's shoes,
And I'm sure you will find that it's a job you might not want to choose.
Just think what it would be like to baby sit for sixty kids or better,
And remember you must chauffeur this bus load of kids regardless of the weather.

I must admit, to be in front of a classroom with 20-30 kids wouldn't be a picnic,
But to drive 60 kids over icy roads would set my nerves on edge and make my stomach sick.
A school bus driver is like the postman and must go regardless of rain, snow, gloom, and darkest of night,
But no postman ever had to have 60 kids, clean up their mess, or break up a fight.

A child can have a bad day at school without any warning,
But can be forgotten when a bus driver says, " Have a good evening, I'll see you in the morning".
Ask any student, what heroes of theirs never received any fame,
And I'll bet a bus driver will be among those that they name.

Author: Dave Arnold

These fun kits are made simply by adding all of the "ingredients", printing the list of items and their meaning and putting it all in a jar with a nice decorative jar topper. These are inexpensive kits, especially if you can recycle the jar from your kitchen (keep your eye open for nice jelly and relish jars at the store.

Return to index

I would even include a bull horn.. LoL for all the old people who cant see the big yellow banana in front of them ( sorry I live in neighborhood with a lot of older people, and one of our bus drivers drives for the summer camp during the summer, and had an old man plow right into the bus, and said he didnt see her. Thank goodness she saw him and slowed down so it was worse....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2
Ok, here's just a little thought, but I think that including a book of stamps with your cards would be great. Even if the teacher doesn't send out your cards via mail, almost everyone I know has to mail something every once & awhile...

I'm wondering which supply store most teachers would like ~ an office supply store or a general store (like Target) ~ best?
I know my friend who is a 2nd grade teacher, loves office depot... she has a teacher card ( it's like a club ) with a number that she can pass out to her friends and family, as well as use her self. Basically you buy something, give the number, and she earns points towards free stuff for her classroom
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #112  
Glitter Queen

As a teacher I love getting handwritten notes (those always get put into my scrapbook). Thank you notes and Birthday cards for me to use through the year are a great idea! I usually forget to get those. (I didn't send out as many this past year because I never had any and always forgot to get some .)I even had a parent give me a roll of stamps (she worked at the post office). I do have my share of gifts for my personal use (and they do usually get put in a box and saved for later. Not because I didn't appreciate the gifts or the thoughts, but when you have 20 children and they bring you those things several times a year, it can be overwhelming). However, if it was something I could use in my classroom like the cards those were my favorite kinds of things to get.

My DH always teases me that I spend twice as much as my salary on stuff for my classroom. I worked at a private school the last 2 years that provided me nothing except the curriculum. All the toys, books, games, paper, craft stuff was bought by me. The school provided me NOTHING because they didn't have the money to purchase those kinds of things. And like someone has already mentioned, private school teachers make WAY less than public school teachers.

Heres a thought though...we had teacher appreciation week the last week of school. I got some nice things from parents that I really appreciated. However, the school sent out a note to all teachers that said if we received gift cards or classroom supplies (like games or toys etc) they belonged to the school so those of us not returning the next year were not allowed to keep them. I was a little upset that I was not allowed to keep what the parents gave ME for teaching their children for the year.

I love my job whether I get gifts or not. The funny things children do crack me up and make each day worth going to school for.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeifer
Heres a thought though...we had teacher appreciation week the last week of school. I got some nice things from parents that I really appreciated. However, the school sent out a note to all teachers that said if we received gift cards or classroom supplies (like games or toys etc) they belonged to the school so those of us not returning the next year were not allowed to keep them. I was a little upset that I was not allowed to keep what the parents gave ME for teaching their children for the year.
I gave $10, $25, $30, and $35 gift cards at the end of the year. If I found out that the school kept them instead of the teachers, I would be in that office demanding they be returned to me (to mail to the teachers myself). Not sure what the school could have gotten from Kohl's anyway, but it is the principle.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #114  
Kookie Creator

What a great idea - I never even thought of sending a back to school gift, but now I will. I really like the idea of the 3x3 thank you notes. OK -off to stamp some teacher gifts...

Lisa
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #115  
Stampin' Fool

I was thinking about this as I was sitting typing up some stuff for our new teachers. I don't have to go back "officially" until next Wed., but we are already working with our new teachers.

What would I love to get? gift cards to: Target, Office Max (we have discount cards there, so we could get even more stuff), restaurants, bookstores, teacher supply store, Kohl's (gotta love that store), handstamped items, any school supply type items, orientaltrading prizes for my students, CD's, science related books for my classroom library.

Again, you guys rock for thinking of teachers. I still have to come up with something. My son drew a picture today for his teacher (his first year, so he hasn't even met her yet) and I will include it with whatever gift I send. I was thinking of a name frame (once I find out her name), some notecards, and some supplies. I also plan to send little "suprise" gifts throughout the year. I know those special things would make me smile and she is going to need something to smile about after a day with my son. Love him, but he is a 3 1/2 yr. old with way too much energy.

Jeanette
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #116  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeifer
I thought you said that it was teacher appreciation week, not supply the school week. How tacky. I could understand if they requested that you might donate an item or two if you were leaving, but that they belonged to the school....NOOO. If I was a parent and I found that out I would be all over that school like my stamps on my ink pads. No one would be left unstained after I left . Sorry, not trying to rant, but I cannot believe the nerve of that school.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #117  
Rubber Obsessor

I see no reason to give a gift as the year starts...seems a little like "brown nosing" to me. I would rather parents wait until later in the year and see what we need in the classroom and help then. I have taught for over 20 years and have many lovely gifts I treasure from families of students. I have gotten sets of white boards, big packages of batteries, and books from the school book sale that were favorites. The best were always something for the classroom. just my opinion, not meaning to step on any toes.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #118  
Glitter Queen

hehe I know I was upset like I said and so were the other teachers and a couple of the parents it got leaked out to. They even had the parents turn all gifts in to the office and they bagged everything and gave them to us so the parents didn't actually get to give the gifts to us. I wondered if it wasn't so they could do an "inventory" sort of thing. Little things like this is part of why I don't work there anymore. I think that was part of it came from them watching me pack up my entire room and realized everything was mine including the bookshelves and cubbies. The new teacher taking my place has nothing to start out with (but neither did I when I started.)

I added this to my post just as something to consider when giving things for classroom use. (At that school all the teachers preferred consumable gifts for this reason.)
Old 08-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #119  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedazzledbylife
I see no reason to give a gift as the year starts...seems a little like "brown nosing" to me. I would rather parents wait until later in the year and see what we need in the classroom and help then. I have taught for over 20 years and have many lovely gifts I treasure from families of students. I have gotten sets of white boards, big packages of batteries, and books from the school book sale that were favorites. The best were always something for the classroom. just my opinion, not meaning to step on any toes.
Well said. This is exactly what my DH said. We don't know our teachers when we begin the year.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #120  
Crimping Master

That is too bad for that school that they are so narrow minded. (it almost sounds greedy). I am gald that you are no longer in that type of work environment, it is hard to be a good teacher when you are looking over your shoulder to see if someone is doing an inventory on you. I just am at a loss for words (more so than it probably seems) at how a school that is supposed to teach and nurture children are caught up in kid like behavior of mine...mine....mine. Sad really.