Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help getting published.....

I was wondering if anyone has tips for getting published. How do you keep organized for your supplies, what do you do when you are preparing to send in a card? do you photograph or send in the original? how do you keep track of Design paper that you may not know the manufacturer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Whether you send the original piece or a photograph will depend on the magazine - some take e-mail submissions with digital pictures and make their decision based on that (and typically ask you to send the project for in-house photography if they accept it) and others only take submissions of the actual project. Just check out guidelines for the publications you're interested in submitting to for info on which way they handle it. Same applies to what you do when preparing to submit - check the guidelines and make sure you're doing what they ask you to do.

If you make something you plan on submitting, it might help to note down the supplies you use as you go along on a Post-It that you can stick to the project itself as a memory aid when you come to submitting it. If you are submitting the project itself, you'll normally have to make some kind of label to stick to it with all that info before you send it but doing it as you go along means you don't forget stuff.

If you don't keep things in their original packaging, make a habit of labelling whatever you move it in to or keep yourself an inventory sheet of some kind so you can identify manufacturers for whatever you have.

If you don't know the maker of a piece of DP, my advice would be not to use it on a project for submission! The mags want not only identifiable goodies but also recent ones so if you've had a piece of paper in your stash long enough that you no longer remember where it came from then chances are it's an older release in any case.

HTH, good luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Whether you send the original piece or a photograph will depend on the magazine - some take e-mail submissions with digital pictures and make their decision based on that (and typically ask you to send the project for in-house photography if they accept it) and others only take submissions of the actual project. Just check out guidelines for the publications you're interested in submitting to for info on which way they handle it. Same applies to what you do when preparing to submit - check the guidelines and make sure you're doing what they ask you to do.

If you make something you plan on submitting, it might help to note down the supplies you use as you go along on a Post-It that you can stick to the project itself as a memory aid when you come to submitting it. If you are submitting the project itself, you'll normally have to make some kind of label to stick to it with all that info before you send it but doing it as you go along means you don't forget stuff.

If you don't keep things in their original packaging, make a habit of labelling whatever you move it in to or keep yourself an inventory sheet of some kind so you can identify manufacturers for whatever you have.

If you don't know the maker of a piece of DP, my advice would be not to use it on a project for submission! The mags want not only identifiable goodies but also recent ones so if you've had a piece of paper in your stash long enough that you no longer remember where it came from then chances are it's an older release in any case.

HTH, good luck!
This is extremely good advice. I usually place my Designer paper into folders arranged by Manufacturer. I try to keep all collections together inside the plastic they came in, too. It takes alittle longer to keep things organized but its helpful for submissions.

I know that certain magazine expect the latest and greatest new stuff. Alot of us don't have access to that so I just use what I know is still available.

Most magazines want submissions over the internet email. I will submit my project with supplies/instructions and then print out that list. Then I will file the card and supply/instructions list in a folder marked with magazine and month submitted.

It does help to be organized. It just makes things easier. There is more to being published than just making the card, unfortunately. The paperwork is what I hate the most!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
This is extremely good advice. I usually place my Designer paper into folders arranged by Manufacturer. I try to keep all collections together inside the plastic they came in, too. It takes alittle longer to keep things organized but its helpful for submissions.

I know that certain magazine expect the latest and greatest new stuff. Alot of us don't have access to that so I just use what I know is still available.

Most magazines want submissions over the internet email. I will submit my project with supplies/instructions and then print out that list. Then I will file the card and supply/instructions list in a folder marked with magazine and month submitted.

It does help to be organized. It just makes things easier. There is more to being published than just making the card, unfortunately. The paperwork is what I hate the most!:rolleyes:
Debbie, you rock the publishing world!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a surpisingly limited collection. All my colored inks are Vivid, my black I have a few of... I'm starting to get papers from three companies now so I need to keep up with that.

Basicly I make a ton of cards then every few months write up directions. It's actually not the smartest move because if I can't remember who made something or how I did something I just can't send off that card.

Good luck to you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Debbie, you rock the publishing world!
Thanks, Gina :oops::-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I have a surpisingly limited collection. All my colored inks are Vivid, my black I have a few of... I'm starting to get papers from three companies now so I need to keep up with that.

Basicly I make a ton of cards then every few months write up directions. It's actually not the smartest move because if I can't remember who made something or how I did something I just can't send off that card.

Good luck to you!!!
Erin, I see you in every magazine out there. How do you keep it all straight that way! LOL! Superwoman.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

thanks so much for the advice......I am starting to get more and more "stuff" and it is harder getting organized but I want to start getting serious about publishing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

And one more suggestion to add to the above awesome points:
Do not be dismayed. Keep trying! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Erin, I see you in every magazine out there. How do you keep it all straight that way! LOL! Superwoman.
Thank you! that's high praise, expecially coming from you!

I don't reccomend my system. That is my lack of a system.

I just make hundreds of cards. I am TERRIBLE at sending cards to friends and family. I think I've not sent a single card in 6 months. *YIKES* So they stack up and then I send whatever I can remember instructions to.

Cardmaking is about the process to me. I don't have much attachment to the finished projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wanted to clarify. Apparently, judging from a PM I got I came off as only caring about being published?

that's not the case. My point was that MAKING the cards is the fun part for me. I like creating something fun, mixing colors, coloring, cutting, playing with paper etc. My thing is once I'm done I don't really care so much what happens to the card. I MOST like it when I actually mail it to someone who can appreciate it, but I'm bad at keeping up with that. So because I have all these cards sitting around I mail them to magazines. I DO take pleasure in seeing them in magazines. Who wouldn't?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #12  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmts1981View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tips for getting published. How do you keep organized for your supplies, what do you do when you are preparing to send in a card? do you photograph or send in the original? how do you keep track of Design paper that you may not know the manufacturer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
are we supposed to be organized when we craft???
i am sooooooo not!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
are we supposed to be organized when we craft???
i am sooooooo not!!!
Lol! Me either AJ!

But I do advise (esp for those of us who are not organized!) to definitely write the supplies you used for a card on a post it on the back BEFORE you put the supplies away. And do it RIGHT AWAY before you add a bunch of other stuff to your desk and get all confused that you have no idea if you even made that card anymore! :confused:

You will be so grateful you did if you ever want to submit that card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I've only been published a few times, but I definitely agree to writing down the supplies used right away! Usually, I just make a card for whatever occasion I'm needing, and if I decide it's "good enough", then I make it a second time, jotting down supplies and instructions as I go. When I'm finished, I take card and post-it note to computer and type the instructions. When I send a card in, I put it in a clear envelope with the instructions for that card just as extra protection in case the mailing envelope gets wet or something. Check the websites of the publications you want to submit to, as they usually have an editorial calendar and their directions for submitting, or they will have an e-mail that you can request that information from. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've sent in a couple cards but so far no luck... :(
My question is when I send in cards for publication should they NOT be posted to my gallery or blog?

Thanks for your advise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmGee458View Post
I've sent in a couple cards but so far no luck... :(
My question is when I send in cards for publication should they NOT be posted to my gallery or blog?
Thanks for your advise!
You can check the individual submission guidelines, but some of them state that the items must not have been published anywhere. I've interpreted that as meaning that posting something in an online gallery or on a blog qualifies as "publishing" it to the Web.

In some cases, a "Removed for Publication" notice that you might see on a designer's blog is there because an editor has seen something already on that blog and has specifically requested it.

Good luck with your submissions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

>>I wanted to clarify. Apparently, judging from a PM I got I came off as only caring about being published?

i didn't get that impression. I thought you were being helpful. And this thread is ABOUT being published, so it is okay that you offered the advice on what you do (or LOL what NOT to do) when you are submitting for publication.
i agree that MAKING the card is the fun part... but PUBLISHING it leads to major bragging rights... so a combination of joy and boasting is great.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

i have never been published, but my advice is-
1) establish your style... do you like antique? bright? bold designs? lots of glitter? circles? Stripes? etc etc. And work on what you are comfortable with and enjoy
2) try different things... i have seen a million cards, and what makes me take notice is a different subject- like Pet Sympathy, Happy Mother's Day To My Step-Mother, Congratulations On Being A Big Sister etc. Also, don't discount other altered goods, like gift sets/ boxes/ mint tins etc. Lots of Paper crafting magazines have ideas in them for more than just cards.
3) don't get frustrated... let me repeat that LOL Don't Get Frustrated... even if a particular card doesn't get published, you can send it to a friend (or sell it LOL).
Remember- if you get rejected, it is not because you aren't good enough... the magazine may be looking for something in particular, and even if your card is ten times better than what they publish, if its not that month's 'theme' your card may not be accepted.
Good luck!
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmGee458View Post
Lots of places are fine with it if you have, they'll just ask you to remove it if they accept for publication. Each mag is different though so check their guidelines. Personally, I just find it too difficult to keep track of everywhere I might have uploaded so if I'm submitting then I don't put it online anywhere. If it gets accepted - great, I don't have to do anything else. If it doesn't get accepted, I can upload and share then (and because I have the supplies list to hand, it's easy to do the description!).

Don't despair about not getting picked up after a couple of submissions. Many of the people who get published a lot will tell you that they also submit a lot that doesn't get picked up. You just have to keep trying if it's a goal you really want to achieve and don't take it personally - often it's less to do with whether your project is publishable and more to do with whether it fits the particular requirements of that magazine for that issue. They're going for overall balance in content - maybe they got 50 baby cards that were all good enough to publish but the issue only has room for six, see what I mean?

Good luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all of your comments! I can just imagine how many cards get sumbitted to a particular magazine for each issue...it's just disheartening when I see cards published that aren't even done well...I submitted 2 Christmas cards to Stamp & Scrap Arts magazine for their Christmas in July issue- which turned out to be a Christmas card CONTEST and they only published 3 cards...that wasn't how it was listed in the submission details...oh, well. Maybe I'll have a chance of them getting into the new Just Holidays magazine.

I was just selected to the design team for Sherrod Studio Stamps, so my next goal is to be published...I'll just keep trying!

Any suggestions as to which magazines to submit to?? I know of Stamper's Sampler and Take Ten and then Stamp & Scrap Arts and Just Cards (and now the new Just Holidays). Any other good ones? I've heard about online magazines. Anyone have a link??

Thanks, again, for all your support!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'd browse along the craft mags at your local Barnes and Noble (or wherever you have that has a good selection) and see what catches your eye. There are so many! Don't forget that lots of mags may consider stamped projects even if they don't concentrate solely on stamping or even on papercrafts (for example, my first ever acceptance was in Crafts n Things and was a fabric project - stamped lavender sachets). You're probably best to focus on publications where your style might fit and you'll be able to make a better judgement on that if you look at the mag in question (or even its web site).

Congrats on making the DT! Maybe some of your fellow DT members might have experience to share with you on getting published and maybe suggestions for publications to target?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

awesome advice! Thank you so much. I am now putting post its next to me when I am stamping to make life easier on me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #23  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Lol! Me either AJ!

But I do advise (esp for those of us who are not organized!) to definitely write the supplies you used for a card on a post it on the back BEFORE you put the supplies away. And do it RIGHT AWAY before you add a bunch of other stuff to your desk and get all confused that you have no idea if you even made that card anymore! :confused:

You will be so grateful you did if you ever want to submit that card.
yep!! trying to match supplies later is a big ol' pain the rear!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

So much great info has been posted here! Just a few things to add.....try and match your submission to the style of the magazine - some are more "artsy" than others, etc.
Also - your work must be meticulous! No crooked edges (unless that was your intent), make sure your stamping and coloring is clean and without smudes, etc. The camera will pick up all the flaws and magazines will want cards that photograph well.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Just an observation....I seem to notice that Just Cards magazine seems to publish cards made by many of the same people in each issue. I did a comparison from the current issue and the last one. Many, many are the same people submitting in both issues.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:56 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Just an observation....I seem to notice that Just Cards magazine seems to publish cards made by many of the same people in each issue. I did a comparison from the current issue and the last one. Many, many are the same people submitting in both issues.

Patti
I think your observation backs up Nancy's point in the previous post, Patti - those people are most likely getting published multiple times in the same magazine because they are submitting work that "fits" what the publication is looking for. It's not an easy thing to judge but if you can do it then you probably make your submission life easier!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the blog, Maxie Fab World (papercrafts) recently addressed what they look for in submissions. the author made the point that they are looking for trendy items. I believe she mentioned things like sewing on cards, trees, birds, etc. as current trends.

And, if you look through magazines, you'll note that many of the items have a similar feel, and yes many magazines use the same stampers more than once.

Also, don't forget that if you post your work on line, you are already "published." That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
the blog, Maxie Fab World (papercrafts) recently addressed what they look for in submissions. the author made the point that they are looking for trendy items. I believe she mentioned things like sewing on cards, trees, birds, etc. as current trends.

And, if you look through magazines, you'll note that many of the items have a similar feel, and yes many magazines use the same stampers more than once.

Also, don't forget that if you post your work on line, you are already "published." That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I like your way of thinking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Ladies, because of this post I recently submitted twenty cards Thank you for putting out all the info! Now, it's the waiting... How long does it take to get a reply after the deadline?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffguamView Post
Ladies, because of this post I recently submitted twenty cards Thank you for putting out all the info! Now, it's the waiting... How long does it take to get a reply after the deadline?
You won't hear anything from most magazines unless your art has been accepted. Some publications (Take Ten is one) you won't know until it appears in the magazine.

Most send out acceptances 1-3 weeks after the call deadline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #31  

Jeanne, thank you, you're always so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
You won't hear anything from most magazines unless your art has been accepted. Some publications (Take Ten is one) you won't know until it appears in the magazine.

Most send out acceptances 1-3 weeks after the call deadline.
And sometimes you will never know until someone happens to tell you they saw it LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tami MayberryView Post
And sometimes you will never know until someone happens to tell you they saw it LOL
Yep! And then someone has to send you pictures because you don't always get a comp magazine...... hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffguamView Post
Jeanne, thank you, you're always so helpful!
You are very welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Yep! And then someone has to send you pictures because you don't always get a comp magazine...... hehe
LOL That has happened to me 3 times!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
LOL That has happened to me 3 times!!
Not sure I'll be submitting there again.
Reply With Quote Likes