Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Art Impressions Clear Stamps by Hampton Arts

Bougt the sets from Michaels when they came out but just now trying to use them. I cannot get my memento inkpad to work on them to save myself. I have used an eraser to prep them, have tried cleaning them. Still nothing. Only thing I can get to work is my Versafine, but am concerned about that bleeding with my Copic markers.

Am reallly disappointed at this point. Anybody have ideas? Anyone else have problems working with these stamps?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a very light grit sandpaper to give them a bit of "tooth" and/or try inking them with versamark ink and then inking with your other ink on top of that.
Both these methods have helped me with some of those cheap $1 clear stamps that don't want to hold ink.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use Momento inks because I don't use Copics, but I have often had problems trying to get a decent image with the AI stamps. I use OMS & Prismacolor pencils and did finally find I could use Palette ink, but it took several different tries. I have stopped buying AI stamps as I have never gotten a good image on the first try and they just aren't worth the effort to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a nail buffer to get a bit of tooth on acrylic and/or photopolymer - even some rubber - stamps. It helps quite a bit, but the Versamark + ink works well, too. If you have a Stamp-a-ma-jig or MISTI, you can re-stamp until you get a clear image, as well.

I buy stamps with images/sentiments that I love (as opposed to just sort of like), so if I have to go through a bit of trouble to make them work properly, then I really don't mind.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have had this problem with a couple of house mouse stamps, but not my Art Impression stamps. I always use memento ink, because 9 out of ten times I use my copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same problem with some of my Fiskars stamps. I've sanded, buffed, huffed and fumed and tried a myriad of inks and they are still fuzzy. The only inks that work well are pigment inks. Like Sue said, if you love them enough you'll find a way to make them work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

will try the sanding to see how that helps - maybe with one of the ones in the set i'm not as fond of - just in case.

i have been happy with my AI rubber stamps -- decent quality. was disappointed with the quality of the ones co-branded with Hampton Arts. stamphappy1650 is right - it is like with the fiskars stamps - which i ended up pitching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol - I sanded (with actual sandpaper, very fine grit) my Fiskars stamps and they work just fine...

My issue with Hampton Art stamps is that I have to remember that they are "squishier" than most clear stamps, so I need to use a lighter hand...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just tried the Palette inkpad and it seems to be better than my Memento. Need to let it dry a bit before I try the Copics with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #10  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 277 Likes on 229 Posts

Here is some info that I was told by my local stamp shop that the clear stamps need to be "seasoned" or "primed". She said that you ink up the clear stamps with Ranger Archival Ink...Jet Black. It's permanent and waterproof. It will stain the image....but, since most of these are just outlines for coloring...it didn't matter to me. Plus, it makes it so the image showed up better! I inked up the stamps and let them sit and dry. I finally got back to using them the next day (wanted them good and dry plus, I got side tracked with something else! LOL). The image was really nice then!! I've made a point of doing that with all of those types of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do the same as Sue in that I just use a nail file to buff the entire surface of the polymer stamp. I've attached a photo of my scratch pad paper I used for my practice stamping (trying colors together, placement, etc), and you can see two of my hula penguins. First one drove me nuts that it was not a clear image. I then remembered I had to treat the surface. (I mainly use rubber mounted on wood stamps - don't have problems with this or with crispness of stamped image). See the second penguin? After treatment, it was fine. I also put the nail file I used in the pic so you can see. It's just a few slight back and forth rubbing motions all across the surface, and then you're ready to go.

FYI, this penguin was stamped in Memento since I had to use copics to color in her feet and her little nose/beak.
Attached Thumbnails
Art Impressions Clear Stamps by Hampton Arts-11541073_10153163715167670_151108893_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Update from AI

When AI announced their exclusive to Hobby Lobby stamps, I e-mailed and asked if they were co-branded with Hampton like the exclusive to Michaels ones. I related how unhappy I was with those sets and ended up getting rid of them.

Got a very nice note back - HL ones are NOT co-branded and are made in the USA. AI realized (too late) that the quality was not there so they took more ownership and control where the HL offerings were concerned. They also told me that MFT Hybrid Inks gave them the best results with the Michaels exclusive ones.

I just bought one of the HL sets this weekend and played around a bit on scrap c/s - MUCH better! Work great with my Memento inkpad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Debbie, so the Michaels AI ones are poor quality? I really need to check out HL soon. Really enjoy AI's images.
Reply With Quote Likes