Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question masking problem

I made an oval mask w/ the Cozzule and then used a bkgrnd stamp to stamp the oval that was cut out. My stamped area was smaller than the oval mask. I thought it was because of the thickeness of the cardstock, so I cut another oval w/ typing paper. But I'm getting the same problem. The big problem is that after I stamp the bkgrnd stamp, I want to stamp something over it and then sponge the edges. Both of which I can't do because my stamped oval is smaller than the cut oval.
What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?
Thanks much!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #2  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmerView Post
I made an oval mask w/ the Cozzule and then used a bkgrnd stamp to stamp the oval that was cut out. My stamped area was smaller than the oval mask. I thought it was because of the thickeness of the cardstock, so I cut another oval w/ typing paper. But I'm getting the same problem. The big problem is that after I stamp the bkgrnd stamp, I want to stamp something over it and then sponge the edges. Both of which I can't do because my stamped oval is smaller than the cut oval.
What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?
Thanks much!!!
try using the background stamp on your table, with the inked image facing up. then, place your mask, your cardstock and put a piece of typing paper on top. use your fingers or a bone folder press over the entire area being careful not to move the stack... by pressing the paper into inked stamp, you should be able to get pretty close to the outline of your mask.

HTH
Old 10-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

It's called "halo-ing" and its easy to avoid by cutting the mask just a hair inside the line. Just a smidge, not a measurable amount. The mask will be slightly smaller than the image/area you are masking but it works out in the end.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Cat, I understand what you're saying and I'll try it in the morning when I'm not so tired.

lutheran, I'm not sure cuttting the mask a wee bit smaller will help. My problem is when I stamp the bckgrnd stamp. Also, how do I cut it a bit smaller on the Cozzule?

Thanks for your help ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

It always happens to me, no matter how thin the paper--your stamp just isn't going to go ALL the way to the edge of the mask. It will just have a wee bit of white. Most of the time it isn't really noticeable. My question is, if it's only a wee bit smaller than your oval mask, why can't you still stamp and sponge inside it? Is your image THAT close to the size of the mask?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure...

Is the oval mask a solid oval and the background stamp goes around it to produce a sort of frame, leaving the center white? Basic Masking

Or is your oval mask a hollow oval in the middle of a piece of paper and you are stamping in the center to produce a colored in oval? Reverse Masking

Whichever method you are using, you might need to trim the oval with a scissors. The spaces on a Coluzzle are more than "a smidge."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmerView Post
Cat, I understand what you're saying and I'll try it in the morning when I'm not so tired.

lutheran, I'm not sure cuttting the mask a wee bit smaller will help. My problem is when I stamp the bckgrnd stamp. Also, how do I cut it a bit smaller on the Cozzule?

Thanks for your help ladies!!
If you cut the mask a bit smaller, then the background stamp will go further up in (almost up to the mask), so it should turn out to be the size you actually want it to be.
You'd probably have to trim it by hand, though (since the Coluzzle does limit your sizes)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes