Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Off? - Suggestions?

Ok, so I'm a newbie to all of this, but have a spouse who is really into crafting - All things...

I've looked on, watched her make things, and it always turns out nice. We have an entire craft room filled with more supplies than I could count - And I'm envious she has so much fun with it all.

So I've been trying my hand at making things, even creating a custom art journal with metal embossing and some stamping.

But in the end, though everything looks "ok" - It's all disappointing to me when I see all these amazing layered stamps, ATC's and tags, etc. on Pinterest.

And I think the trouble is that I have no technique. I don't know what colors go well together, I don't know how to pick one background over another, or how to blend properly, focal points... None of that.

I've watched Youtube videos and tutorials, but to be honest, it's a bit difficult to really learn when everyone has their own opinions or ways of doing things, so I've decided I need to find a good course that teaches me the fundamentals and tools I'll need to get better at all of this.

I love the Tim Holtz vintage and distressed styles. I enjoy making pages, gifts, explosion boxes for my wife. So with all that in mind, any recommendations on where to begin training? Tired of my stuff looking "meh". lol

Thanks in advance. And yes, I did ask my wife about some techniques etc. But unfortunately, she said she's more of a "I just know when something will look right" type person. She has a more innate sense of colors, co-ordinations, etc. So that wasn't too helpful.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

First off - WELCOME!!! This is a great place to get information, direction, encouragement, etc. AND - everyone is kind and helpful and non-judgemental, so no worries there, either.

I think it's amazingly wonderful that you want to participate in something that your wife is obviously into - good for you! I don't have any personal experience with the classes at the link I'm going to provide you, but I've heard A LOT of good things about them, so it might be worthwhile to look at the site and see if there are classes that would be what you're looking for: Home - Online Card Classes

Good luck, have fun, and don't worry if you don't "get it" right away - there's a learning curve for ALL of us, and it's perfectly okay to do things in your own time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Echoing Sues welcome to the forum! I think I'd also suggest maybe 'case'ing some of the things you like on Pinterest? Then you can analyse what exactly is about it that caught you eye, and why it speaks to you. If it's colours, then put together some stuff in your journal using those colours- it doesn't have to be a completed piece- maybe make tags or ATC sized pieces.
Even in classes you will find that everyone has slightly differing ways of doing things, and thats ok, it's all about discovery.
There are 'rules' about inks, layouts etc, but they are all able to be bent or broken- I'd really say play with stuff in your journal- put together a few colours- if it works, great, if not, make notes about why you think it's wrong.
Look at cards in gift shops- what makes it work for you- whats the layout like?
Heres another search avenue- Card Sketches. Loads of them all over the net & Pinterest. That will help you with layout & focal point.
Download a colour wheel/ buy one- it will guide you in how colours work together.
If you do a Pinterest search for 'colour blends' you will find a mass of colour combos that people have put together- another great place to start.
And when it comes to blending, the best way is to start softly. You can add colour if it's too pale, but you can't take it away.
You will eventually find that you can see what will work together and what will clash. What's just right and what's too much. And remember, even those of us who have been crafting for many years still make mistakes, and are still learning new techniques all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Hello, welcome!

Sue and Shaz have some good advice already. I'd also say that you shouldn't be too hard on "beginner" efforts. Don't forget that most of the things you're seeing online are likely to be made by people with oodles of experience and they may well not be first attempts, either! Someone like Tim Holtz has years of experience and I'd be willing to bet that even he makes things that he doesn't share with his many fans!

Give yourself permission just to play without the expectation that you'll produce something amazing. Experiment with the tools and materials you have and be conscious of what's worked and what hasn't. If you make something that you feel is "meh" but you can't put your finger on what you could have done differently, ask for feedback. If your wife feels unable to criticise, you could try asking here, making clear you want constructive criticism rather than just a pat on the back. People here are kind and have a variety of styles so you'd most likely get some ideas you could work with.

I've done one of Andy Skinner's online classes in the past and found it well put together. Although the one I did focused on making a particular object, the techniques are usable across a load of projects. It looks like his current offerings are listed here (I did the book of secrets one and blogged the result here if you're interested in seeing what somebody who's generally a "less is more" and definitely not grunge oriented was guided into. I used the same techniques to make something completely different here).

Maybe finding one or two classes based around a particular object that appeals to you would be a good way to focus your efforts?

Let us know how you get on!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

you know Tim Holtz has some classes in the Onlinecardclasses site. ( but, they are technical which products are meant to do this or that type of a thing more than a design course) I have taken a few and bought a few more that I have to finish some time but here is a link
Home - Online Card Classes

one thing I will tell you is, no matter what you like or she likes or what ever, the only real way you are going to learn what you love and how to do it, is to just get in there and play with your supplies. and it won't matter that I think this green in that brand goes so great with this blue in that other brand. you will have to actually play with yours to decide what you love. ( and this takes time but, it is something you will feel more comfortable with over time if you allow yourself to play)
(and tell yourself it's not life and death, so if you toss that paper after oh well, that's why they sell it by the reams) :lol:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Firstly, let me say... We've all been there. We've all been in that position of just starting out and being both overwhelmed with all the greatness that's out there and underwhelmed by our own creations. And this is absolutely normal - and, actually, is a good thing.

I want to share a quote from Ira Glass, because he summarizes it so, so well:
Quote:

Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it�s just not that good. It�s trying to be good, it has potential, but it�s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn�t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I�ve ever met. It�s gonna take awhile. It�s normal to take awhile. You�ve just gotta fight your way through.
The first thing to do is to stop comparing your beginner work to some one else's middle or end-of-road work. They've had a lot more time to practice and master their skills, and they've also had a lot more time to find their niche. As you continue to practice and find confidence in your own work, it will happen for you too.

The second thing is to do lots and lots and lots of practice. Don't try a new techique just once - try it a hundred times. Start projects that you intend to throw away at the end (and if supply cost is a concern, stock up on essentials in bulk or during a clearance/sale or buy second-hand). If you give yourself some freedom to just play instead of having a perfect project goal in mind, you might find yourself a lot more creative.

The last thing is to remember that you don't have to do everything yourself. It's ok to take short-cuts. It's ok to use watercolor patterned paper because your coloring skills aren't up to par. It's ok to use paint palettes to pick your colors. And it's most definitely ok to ask for help - whether it's how to do a technique or to get feedback on your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I love the quote Elle posted! So true. I tell people who are comparing their own kids to other people's kids, or their own life to someone else's, "Don't compare your insides to their outsides." Don't compare what you try out for the first time with what you see online. You have no idea how many attempts they made before getting one they liked!!

In order to find the styles/techniques that fit your personality, try copying something you like. You may like the look of something that someone made, but you hate the process of making it. That's how I discovered that I wasn't making what I loved to make, instead of making what everyone else was making.

And sometimes complicated techniques are not the best place to start.

If you like the vintage look of Tim Holtz, then stick with learning some of Tim's techniques. Don't try to watch every vintage video out there, hoping to find some magic secret. Watch one of Tim's videos and make a handful of whatever he taught in different colors and similar stamps. Maybe branch out with some variations on the theme. Then try another one of his videos and do the same thing. Experimentation is how you learn what works for you.

Learning what colors work well together is a trial and error process. And it's learned. Don't let anyone kid you otherwise. It's probably second nature to some people but they've been doing it a long time!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! Lots of great advice guys! Much appreciated! I just checked out the Onlinecardclasses, and I'm going to hop onto a few of them to get me started. Ha, last week I spent 10 minutes in the wife's craft room loading up bags of supplies to take to the kitchen table and just play with some of the stuff. It turned into an all-day thing just opening and trying some of the items.

I have to say my favorite supplies so far were the Inca Golds as I gilded a few of her charms and wire wrapped a key pendant for an upcoming B-Day. And the Ranger Distress Crayons seemed to have potential as well, but need a lot more practice and learning yet. The Infusion pigment powders with stain were pretty awesome as well. At least I'm getting down the names of everything now. haha

So I enjoyed the process, but the end results left me really hungry to learn how to put this stuff to good use. Now one thing I got the hang of right away was her Cameo, and enjoyed cutting out some interactive gift boxes.

Made her a "bag of friends" card with an acetate window. That was a lot of fun.

So hoping if I can learn some techniques, I can finally dress these little things up. I really appreciate the encouragement and advice! I'll definitely spend more time here reading up, and absorbing. Seems like a great community! In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away as recommended and paying attention as suggested. I have been paying attention to the things I seem to like most, and it appears to me that vintage, distressed, and even steampunk styles really grab me.

Lots of pastels, and chalk paint, or water-colors it seems. Yellows, pastel blues, and then a darker almost walnut or coffee stain color with a highlight of magenta from all the ATC samples I'm looking at. So off to see if I can make something with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Signed up for one of the Andy Skinner classes, as well as a Tim Holtz 101 class. Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Hello, welcome!

Sue and Shaz have some good advice already. I'd also say that you shouldn't be too hard on "beginner" efforts. Don't forget that most of the things you're seeing online are likely to be made by people with oodles of experience and they may well not be first attempts, either! Someone like Tim Holtz has years of experience and I'd be willing to bet that even he makes things that he doesn't share with his many fans!

Maybe finding one or two classes based around a particular object that appeals to you would be a good way to focus your efforts?

Let us know how you get on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Jennifer McQuire has lots of technique videos on her blog as well as being one of the cofounders of Online Card Classes. Also check the tutorials here on SCS. Just enjoy the process of getting to know all the crafty supply goodies that you have! Joggles.com has great mixed media/art journal technique videos, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not taken any Andy Skinner classes, so not sure if the same applies, but I do know that Tims class materials are available permanently once you sign up, so you can keep going back to them.
I'd like to reiterate something said above, although it took me a few years to embrace it. At the end of the day, it's only paper! It's ok to consign it to the bin.
I would spend so much time trying to retrieve something, and just end up with an even bigger mess, IMO. Then I'd hang on to it- 'just in case' I figured a way to save it!
And then, in a way, that brings in my comment earlier about breaking the rules! I found I COULD save some things, by looking at them differently. Can I use a PART of what I've made? This sort of goes down the Masterboard route.

This was made by punching out 'good bits' from failures- maybe the stamping smudged/didn't emboss evenly/ the rest looked 'meh'. So, yes, get yourself into the mindset of being able to discard what you don't like, without feeling like you've made one of your children homeless, , but don't be over critical either. Because we are all our own worst critic. Every person on here will tell you that. We see a 'fault' that no-one else would ever notice.
On that score, I have a friend who makes the most incredible, gorgeous Mixed Media canvas pieces. Yet it takes a group of us to strong arm her into putting any up for sale- when she does they sell in minutes- because she can't see what there is to love about them. She only sees what went wrong, what doesn't look like the picture in her head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

CutHere - IMHO (In my humble opinion) you are already ahead of a lot of beginners because you are not afraid to experiment. So many times I've seen questions about how to use something when sometimes you just need to make the leap and see what it will do. You also have an advantage in that your wife has some great supplies so you can "shop" at home. But beware, at some point she's going to make you pay for them LOL

I'm a lousy class student. I usually stay with a class long enough to get the basics of the product/technique and then I want to play. My suggestion is to limit your self to inexpensive classes and check out the product manufacturer's sites for information. They will teach you how to use the product and then you can work on your design.

A color wheel is a good idea but I never used mine but then I have a good eye for color. What I found is more helpful for me to take note of things I see that draw my attention in a pleasing way. Just because colors may coordinate on the wheel they may not be pleasing to me. Keep samples of the colors you like as those will be your go-to colors. I think a lot of have our favorites that we always use, I bet you'll be the same because it's much easier to create when you like the colors.

So glad you're will to try. It's a fun hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks again for the warm welcome! Already learning a lot just reading threads and tips.

Would anyone mind if I post some examples of what I am working on to get critiques and feedback? I definitely don't mind critques as it's the quickest way to learn. Just making sure everyone is cool with that before I start posting pics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

We love to see what people are making! You could start your own gallery too - it's a great way to keep track of your own stuff as well as sharing it with others.

There's a "critique" thread stickied near the top of this section of the forum although it might be a little too card oriented if you're doing other stuff - I guess you could just keep going here if that suits.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ms. Angelnorth has a great project on her blog. She uses foiling for a great vintage metallic piece. Ambrosia and Iron: Vintage tin?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Why, thank you kindly Martha! Raiding the kitchen for supplies always makes me happy since those feel like "freebies" when compared to things sold to crafters (which often seem to have a premium price tag!). You can do the same with any shape whether it's die cut, hand cut, punched or even something like a leaf (from your yard or even a skeleton one).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuthereView Post
Thanks again for the warm welcome! Already learning a lot just reading threads and tips.

Would anyone mind if I post some examples of what I am working on to get critiques and feedback? I definitely don't mind critques as it's the quickest way to learn. Just making sure everyone is cool with that before I start posting pics.

First I have to say I think you're much further ahead than you think you are. So give yourself some credit, okay?

There's a critique section on the board for exactly what you're asking, if you'd prefer to use that but this is your thread and posting here fits too, just imo. Go for it.

And about photos. Some people take great ones and some (me!) not. And that affects how projects are perceived. When you look at photos pros have taken, they often have good lighting, cameras and editing capabilities, and that card or box or decorated room or anything may look better than another that's just as good but the photo isn't the best. Be gentle with yourself.

Everyone has given you all the advice you need, but I think your choice of classes is great. I've taken a lot of classes in real life and virtually, and they sure have made a difference for me. And that includes learning that certain looks or techniques are not my style - just as valuable.

Enjoy!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes