Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone else not impressed? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/anyone-else-not-impressed-371227/)

NYstamper 08-08-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobi (Post 10848673)
i just got all the new in-colors and DP and can't wait to create with it!!! the preview sets did NOTHING for me.. i don't get the whole sock monkey thing.. but i'm looking forward to seeing the other new sets though.

I agree with the sock monkey thing, alot of people seem to love it, but it isn't something that appeals to me, even though I have seen some cute cards made with it. As far as the catalog, while I still think that there are areas they are missing out on, I really like a lot of the new stamps and can't wait to place my first order! I like that there are some cutesty stamps sets, but it doesn't feel to me like the whole catalog is cutesy. I think that there is a pretty good mix.

pjw2855 08-08-2008 02:28 PM

I got my new catalog on Monday from my Consultant. I am not interested in any of the stamps. The only single stamp I do like is the sock monkey, but that alone. Certainly don't want the others in that set. So no stamps for me.

I go more for the accessories anyway. There are some new items there, but not as many as I was hoping to see.

I don't need any paper or ink. I got enough of that last year. New colors are not much different than previous ones.

I like the box and tote, etc. samples in the new catalog. Those I can make after studying the pictures a bit. I like the ideas.

Patti

Phantom 08-08-2008 03:09 PM

I found a half dozen sets I love and a couple of backgrounds. I really LOVE the new DP ... Urban Garden, Haiku, and about 6 others!!

We got ripped on the "vintage" selection... Shelli promised vintage somewhere in the last few months and yeah... one set that's punny. Disappointed with that. And what's up with Putt-Putt? I realize it's supposed to look child-like but it just doesn't work. And the sentiments - how lame. SU is always helpful in that respect ~ I can eliminate sets from my wishlist by looking at the sentiments that make no sense. Kind thanks? Uh... no. And Upsy Daisy - nice flowers but "Birthday Celebrations" ??? Is this a new idea that you send one birthday card and it's good for every birthday after that? LOL!!

Yep there may be some sets that I really am looking forward to this time, but it's more about the DSP and some of the accessories. And I'll be saving some $$ for Papertrey, Crafty Secrets, Verve, etc.

Momofoneson 08-08-2008 03:19 PM

Just got the catalog and absolutely love tons of stuff in it.

twinwillowsfarm 08-08-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 10849913)
Where are all the beautiful ribbons this year?? Hate the wide stripe stuff, wanted some more in color style like last year?

That was my thought too! I bought some of the wide ribbon last year but I don't like it. *shrug* As I said, they can't make everyone happy all the time and this time around is not 'my' time. I will buy some of the new punches, however, because I just *need* punches!

twinwillowsfarm 08-08-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazylizard (Post 10851127)
I was so disappointed that there is only one vintage type stamp and they turned it into a pun set!!

I'm already thinking that if I buy that set, I'm cutting the words off and mounting them on the side... and they will probably NEVER be used with the images! Vintage and pun doesn't work for me either, but I do like those images.

GreenDragonLady 08-08-2008 03:37 PM

I love those vintage images as well. I can see them in a collage setting.

Shopping Diva 08-08-2008 03:58 PM

Many of the new sets look like a child drew them.

Exactly!

sv133 08-08-2008 04:21 PM

I just drove 75 minutes roundtrip to get my catty. I am very disappointed. It's the same old stamps only more expensive (the roses are beautiful but I can't spend $35++). There are so so many very exciting stamp lines out right now (Verve, PTI, Unity, Inque Boutique, Flourishes). They are creating new and different images and many are less expensive. I prefer to buy those stamps. Also, I agree about the thick ribbons. Why so many ribbons that are so thick? It's nice to have all the IN COLOR ribbons but again, at $10 a roll, I can't afford it. PTI makes gorgeous ribbon at a fraction of the cost. I love the IN COLORS but should I spend $45 for paper and ink that will be outdated in one year? I am disappointed that I can not put together a well rounded package at an affordable price. I hope that in the futute SU works to put together more affordable packages (ex. IN COLOR ink spots, all 6 for under $15, and IN Color ribbon packages).

muscadelfaces 08-08-2008 04:23 PM

So little that was new. What was new wasn't very innovative. I have purchased owl sets from 3 other place in the last 9 months, so another new owl set (which I would have liked before) just seems to me to be way behind with the trends. I found a few other sets about 6 months late for me to buy too. Other companies releasing monthly like PTI and MFT are taking the market because they are on the cutting edge instead of trailing. I cannot believe SU is STILL wood mounting and I think that will eventually just wipe them right out. 5 years ago I bought 100% wood. 3 years ago I was buying half wood and half UM rubber. Now I am buying 90% clear, 5% red UM, and 5% wood and then ripping it off the wood. I was just sure they were going to wake up by now, but they seem so entrenched in things, including in designs that are not new and fresh.

Shopping Diva 08-08-2008 04:32 PM

I have called and e-mailed SU! previously and told them that they should do some more "modern" stamp sets. For instance, maybe some "girlfriend" stamps, and more "artistic" stamps that can be colored. I even told them to check out places like "Rubber Romance", "Bella", and "Hannah". If I owned a company like that, I would be really researching the market to see what peoples needs are. Yes, I know you can't please everyone, but I really think that the flowers, butterflys, and child like art is really getting old. Thank God we have places like I mentioned above and the others like Papertrey and Unity, Gina K., etc.

lynnewithane 08-08-2008 04:43 PM

I really like the new catalog! There are a lot of stamp sets that I already have, but a lot of new ones that I want (or didn't get last time around). I must admit that I don't need any new stamps, but I'm sure I'll get some. I also love lots of the papers, as well as the scallop edge punch, the new carousel notes, and the new flower fusion. I could probably go on and on.
As far as researching other companies goes, I think it is spying if you get the scoop before the items come out. If you get the scoop after they come out, they are already yesterday's news.
I have thought of things that I would like to see in the past, and some of those have come to be. Others haven't, but I know that they can't satisfy everyone. For instance, I would love to see more than one Jewish set. But, I realize that the company is founded by someone of the Mormon faith, and that Jewish sets are not tops on their priority list. (I think that is why it took so long to get Cheers to You.) That's okay; I can buy Jewish sets elsewhere. All in all, I love an awful lot that SU has to offer, and I am glad that they are around.

Pipergirl 08-08-2008 04:48 PM

I haven't gotten my catty yet either but what I have seen on here in the previews so far nothing jumps out at me. I didn't really care for the "Sock Monkey" set either. Hope they will have some nice new things that will catch my eye. I'm sure I'll hem and haw over a few things like I ususally do and take forever to make a decision about anything. I do know that I'm definatley getting the scalloped border punch!

cvnhjw 08-08-2008 04:54 PM

I love SU paper. That is what I buy the most of thru SU. I haven't been thrilled with the stamp sets over the last couple of years and that is where I have branched out and gone to other companys. In the new catalog though, there are a few sets that are definately "must haves".

pantala40 08-08-2008 06:13 PM

i LOVe the chunky ribbon. I do have to say, that I find myself barely using skinny ribbon these days. So I was psyched to see the ribbon. Granted, it's like $8 per roll, however you get A LOT of ribbon in that one roll!!

The one thing I will agree with, is their prices. that new Roses set is GORGEOUS, however it's almost $40?? I can't believe it's that expensive? I understand that there are 14 pieces to it, but still - I feel like the prices are definitely going up...

craftingmama 08-08-2008 06:17 PM

no, i wasn't all that impressed. seems they are going toward a lot of the bold, just stamp it, no coloring or artwork needed stamps. I don't care for that look at all. i'll just focus on getting the old ones that i still want.

vensung1 08-08-2008 06:24 PM

I haven't had a chance to see the catalog yet but I'm pretty excited from the sneak peaks.... Plus I really like the In Colors this year along with the introduction of the Big Shot and the exclusive SU! dies.

I agree that there are many new and exciting companies out there competing for our stamping $$ I'm an equal opportunity shopper :rolleyes:

TJStamper 08-08-2008 06:38 PM

I'm insanely jealous of all of you ... I'm a DEMO and don't even have a catalog to look at!:mrgreen: I'm quite certain I'll find something that I have to have .... I always do!

DRStamper 08-08-2008 07:09 PM

Got my catalog and quite a few things in it I like ... punches, accessories, and some stamps. Best part of the stamp sets I like -- they are die cut, no cutting to mount.

lieselknalld 08-08-2008 07:38 PM

I like SU- since joining SCS I have clicked on some links to other companies and can honestly say I like SU and have no reason to buy else where (that's why I'm a demo) . I think the bottom line is that we all have different taste and it will be interesting to see where all these companies (SU included) are in 5 years....

stampingout 08-08-2008 08:30 PM

I am a demo, and am not going to invest in the Big Shot, since I already have a cuttlebug. I will buy the dies that fit into my CB, though. There are about 6 sets that I have to have. I am in love with some of the DSP.
My biggest gripe is ribbon! WHY do they not have satin ribbon? I LOVE the chocolate chip and pomegranate wide satin ribbon they had around the holidays last year, and my supply is dwindling! I so hoped for some more satin ribbon:(

jmcardmaker 08-08-2008 09:41 PM

I too am disappointed in the new catty. Not a single thing I want.

JM

stampwithdiane 08-08-2008 09:50 PM

I have to say I'm a little envious of you all, because my wishlist for this catalog is so long I definitely won't be able to get everything I want. But I guess the good news for those who do not care for any of the sets is that the Holiday mini will be released soon and then the next catalog will be just around the corner. :-)

prchvs 08-08-2008 10:11 PM

I've flipped through my catty once, not enough to get a good "feel" for it. There's some things I like, some things I don't. Really, SU can't please us all all of the time! What's that saying?
You can please some people all the time
You can please all the people some of the time
But you can't please all the people all of the time

I've really got to go through my catty a bit more before I can say whether is da bomb or the pits ... My first impression is that it's better than the last one (for me , anyway!!)!! I do know, too, that I can probably get a storm door for our deck, though ...

Lisa62 08-09-2008 03:32 AM

I amlooking for a new demo , since my is no longer doing it. Is there anyone who can send me a new catalog. I would love to see the new things.

annebarc 08-09-2008 03:32 AM

I was pretty "underwhelmed" myself by the stamp sets. Like others have said, there was nothing really different. I was surprised that Sassy Suzy wasn't included. That was different from the usual SU sentiments and actually funny. There are only so many occasions that I want to send a mushy card to someone and I prefer to send funny cards to friends on their birthdays. I'm not putting SU down - I love the stamp sets I have, but nothing in the catalog seems that different from what was in last year's catalog. Now, I have to say that maybe when I see some of the beautiful cards people will be making with some of the new sets, I will fall in love with them. But right now I am not really excited about any of them. I do love the new designer papers and will be ordering those and, of course, the in colors. I love the blue in colors. I am disappointed that they have changed the in color ribbon to a wider ribbon. I loved the stitched ribbons of the past. The scallop edge punch is great too and I will be ordering that. (Hope it isn't backordered. I'm sure it will be very popular.)
Well, that's my two cents for what it's worth.

stampingcaj 08-09-2008 03:41 AM

I rec'd my catty from my demo yesterday! I like the way it is layed out and there are a few sets I will be getting and definately the scallop punch. However I am very disappointed that there isn't a new cat or dog set seeing as how they discontinued the previous ones - what are they thinking???

Shopping Diva 08-09-2008 04:27 AM

[QUOTE=stampingcaj;10858269]I rec'd my catty from my demo yesterday! I like the way it is layed out and there are a few sets I will be getting and definately the scallop punch. However I am very disappointed that there isn't a new cat or dog set seeing as how they discontinued the previous ones - what are they thinking???[/QUOTE]

See, this is my point - I don't think SU! is really "thinking" about what we would like, and I don't think they are putting enough effort into their stamp sets. Please don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and the stamps themselves are high quality, I just feel like they put so much hype into their new catalogs coming out, and then when we get them, we see alot of sets in the previous mini's, and very little new, exciting stuff. It's discouraging because I wanted to re-sign as a demo, but how can I if I'm not going to be inspired or excited about what I'm demoing? On the flip side, at least there are 2 catalogs a year now, so maybe the next one will be better. Please remember, this is only my personal opinion, not meant to upset anyone.

LateBlossom 08-09-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazylizard (Post 10851127)
...but as a whole, I was so disappointed that there is only one vintage type stamp and they turned it into a pun set!! ....

Well, I haven't seen the full catty yet but this set was in the preview. I'm not a huge fan of punny, either, but I'd just mount them without the sayings. This set (even if it isn't exactly my style) needs to be mine because of the typewriter stamp. I must have it. But the puns will prolly not get mounted or get mounted on the side of the blocks. Or maybe with ezmount. Hmm. That's a thought.

Sorry to babble...:rolleyes:

LateBlossom 08-09-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftingmama (Post 10855098)
no, i wasn't all that impressed. seems they are going toward a lot of the bold, just stamp it, no coloring or artwork needed stamps. I don't care for that look at all. i'll just focus on getting the old ones that i still want.

Oh, I'm sorry you're disappointeed, but I'm in heaven! Or at least I think I WILL be when I get my catty later today. 'Cause I just love solid stamps! :D

JLP0806 08-09-2008 05:02 AM

I must say that I agree...none of the sets screamed "Buy Me!!!" but, as Gina K. mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes I have to see a set "in action" to fully appreciate it. However, I do see the purchase of about 10 packs of DP in my future! And I really like the new In Colors too!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!:D

austamper 08-09-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingout (Post 10856896)
I am a demo, and am not going to invest in the Big Shot, since I already have a cuttlebug. I will buy the dies that fit into my CB, though. There are about 6 sets that I have to have. I am in love with some of the DSP.
My biggest gripe is ribbon! WHY do they not have satin ribbon? I LOVE the chocolate chip and pomegranate wide satin ribbon they had around the holidays last year, and my supply is dwindling! I so hoped for some more satin ribbon:(

There is satin ribbon. It's only one color though. 3/8" Kiwi Kiss on one side and Very vanilla on the other. I hope they'll do more colors in the mini catalog.

JanTInk 08-09-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping Diva (Post 10858465)
See, this is my point - I don't think SU! is really "thinking" about what we would like, and I don't think they are putting enough effort into their stamp sets. Please don't get me wrong, I think they are a great company and the stamps themselves are high quality, I just feel like they put so much hype into their new catalogs coming out, and then when we get them, we see alot of sets in the previous mini's, and very little new, exciting stuff. It's discouraging because I wanted to re-sign as a demo, but how can I if I'm not going to be inspired or excited about what I'm demoing? On the flip side, at least there are 2 catalogs a year now, so maybe the next one will be better. Please remember, this is only my personal opinion, not meant to upset anyone.

Actually, SU! started doing market research about 3 years ago...before they were just guessing. That's what Shelli said at convention in 2006 and I was both amazed that they had not been doing market research before and thrilled that they were finally getting with the program. So what you are seeing in the catalog now is an attempt to react to what the market wants, NOT just someone's personal idea of what would be good in the catalog.

What that tells me is that the market research has shown that, for most people, vintage as a style is over. Yes, there will always be people who like it. But since SU! is a business, it has to think about how it will stay in business by producing things that the market wants. Yes, there will always be companies who produce vintage stamps, but in general they will probably be smaller companies who cater to a specific clientele. And that works for smaller companies who want a niche, but with a large company like SU!, they have to try to appeal to a broader population.

As far as sets from the minis, there are a lot fewer of them that make the catalog than there used to be. It used to be, 50 to 75 percent of mini sets seemed to end up in the catalog. Now, it's more like 25%.

As far as my opinion of this catalog, I was pleased, especially with the new silhouette stamps, the new Christmas and Halloween sets, and the new punches that coordinate with specific sets. I'm thrilled about the Big Shot...can't wait to get mine! Love all the new ribbon and the new hardware!

Gina K. Designs 08-09-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk (Post 10858926)
Actually, SU! started doing market research about 3 years ago...before they were just guessing. That's what Shelli said at convention in 2006 and I was both amazed that they had not been doing market research before and thrilled that they were finally getting with the program. So what you are seeing in the catalog now is an attempt to react to what the market wants, NOT just someone's personal idea of what would be good in the catalog.

What that tells me is that the market research has shown that, for most people, vintage as a style is over. Yes, there will always be people who like it. But since SU! is a business, it has to think about how it will stay in business by producing things that the market wants. Yes, there will always be companies who produce vintage stamps, but in general they will probably be smaller companies who cater to a specific clientele. And that works for smaller companies who want a niche, but with a large company like SU!, they have to try to appeal to a broader population.

As far as sets from the minis, there are a lot fewer of them that make the catalog than there used to be. It used to be, 50 to 75 percent of mini sets seemed to end up in the catalog. Now, it's more like 25%.

As far as my opinion of this catalog, I was pleased, especially with the new silhouette stamps, the new Christmas and Halloween sets, and the new punches that coordinate with specific sets. I'm thrilled about the Big Shot...can't wait to get mine! Love all the new ribbon and the new hardware!

I love new ribbon and new hardware!

Marthar 08-09-2008 06:08 AM

I'm not "thrilled", but I'm not completely "disappointed." I sat with my catalog and stack of sticky notes and didn't mark one page! That means I'll rely on my demo to inspire me. There are a lot of Halloween sets and since my children, nieces and nephews are older, I don't make Halloween items. The papers are pretty, hardware is fresh, ribbon is nice, and I like the new punches. I like the big color charts at the front of the catty. I think , now that we've experienced two catty's, I'd rather have the one catty per year with 3 minis. I need more time to decide what I'm doing next spring and summer! Sometiimes I love the catty and sometimes it's just ok. Not a big deal.

alicia79 08-09-2008 06:20 AM

I LOVE the new catalog!!! Woohoo! Cannot wait to put in my order.

Su cannot please everyone and even if they tried someone wold complain about something either way. I think now that there are 2 catty's a year they can also spread out sets and maybe what you are looking for will be in the next spring/summer?

CathyRose 08-09-2008 06:44 AM

I got my catty yesterday and spent the evening immersed in it. I think it has a very nice selection of stamps covering a lot of different tastes, and some great accessories. Sure, I had a few disappointments. I'm a little creeped out by that sock monkey, lol! I was sorry to see some things retire that I think went before their time, but I think there is something for every style in there. The only complaint I have is too much Halloween, not enough Thanksgiving. I like the themed stamps that other companies do, but it is easier to put out a catalog if the main characters are one or two. Trying to please a big customer base with varying tastes is much harder.

jdmeeks 08-09-2008 06:48 AM

By contrast, I thought this new catty was much better than others in recent releases! I've been stamping and purchasing SU since 1996. I love many (too many) of the new sets - especially those adorable cupcakes. I would have prefered to see some designer ribbons; but love that they are now offering lots of different ribbon options. Love the new brads and clips (I also really love the Build a Brad). The new scallop punch is a must-have. The new papers are better than any recent offerings - they are all stunning! I like that the new Simply Sent kits are being broken up so the set can be purchased separately if you did not want the whole thing.

Also, I really like the tips they are offering as the sections transition and the coordinating paper listing with the DP -very helpful!

I was disappointed in no pet sets for dogs or cats (SU used to have such cute ones, but the last several they came out with have been lacking IMO!) Hopefully, there will be a new one for Spring/Summer 2009

stampkinz 08-09-2008 06:55 AM

I don't like any of the new In-Colors; nothing unique there. I do like many of the new stamps and punches, though. Stampin' Up is finally catching up with the times.

amysings 08-09-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscadelfaces (Post 10853545)
So little that was new. What was new wasn't very innovative. I have purchased owl sets from 3 other place in the last 9 months, so another new owl set (which I would have liked before) just seems to me to be way behind with the trends. I found a few other sets about 6 months late for me to buy too. Other companies releasing monthly like PTI and MFT are taking the market because they are on the cutting edge instead of trailing. I cannot believe SU is STILL wood mounting and I think that will eventually just wipe them right out. 5 years ago I bought 100% wood. 3 years ago I was buying half wood and half UM rubber. Now I am buying 90% clear, 5% red UM, and 5% wood and then ripping it off the wood. I was just sure they were going to wake up by now, but they seem so entrenched in things, including in designs that are not new and fresh.

Hey, welcome to Splitcoast! Looks like you just joined in time for the new catalog! Hope you enjoy your experience here--there are so many great people who have been here a long time and make it feel like a stamper's home!