Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We lost our location AGAIN!! Any advice?

I have been hosting a crop for almost 4 years now. I started at my old church, then we decided our kids were bored, so switched to a more 'exciting' church. They had a great monthly crop, and we joined forces and kept growing, using the meetup.com website. Then the economy struck, and the church couldn't let us keep going without charging us HUGE fees. So, I talked to a lady at another church, and she invited us to her church to crop with her and a 'couple' of her friends. Besides all sorts of drama I wont' get into, they were rude, and loudly complained about a new member of our group who was just a bit too vocal-opinionated, constantly talking, etc. So we didn't go back there. (they did invite us, but it was SO obviously just an attempt to be polite. a very half hearted invite.)

So then somebody suggests a store, which is glad to let us schedule all day private crops. Twelve of us at a time, and she only charges us $2.50 a person (we would have gladly paid more!) When I schedule it on meetup, a friend of mine e-mails me her concerns about the location we have chosen. She wishes us luck, and explains that two of her friends had been cancelled/asked not to return for very bogus reasons. So, knowing that they may be a bit particular, I am sort of on 'alert.' I called after the 1st crop, and asked the owner how it went. She was pleased, and I scheduled another. After that one we scheduled two for the following month (sept.) She seemed happy we wanted to schedule two a month, but we would have totally dropped it back down to one if she had said anything.

Yesterday I got a call from the owner cancelling the crop in one week. When I asked why, she said that at this past Saturdays crop things went missing, which I found out later meant that they couldn't find two Cricut cartridges, both of which turned up. One was just being overlooked, and the other was in her office. And several my our group helped her look for them. (I wasn't there.) Then, somebody in the group argued with her about a discount on something. Crazy drama. This store is the closest place some of the members have, and they are worried that they personally will be banned from cropping there.

So, here we are again, a group without a home. There are 90 members of our meetup group, about 30 of whom are good, regular members. We have an average attendance of about 12+ per crop, and it's gone as high as 22. Back when we had so much room for that many.
We're currently in between churches, so can't do that. I've checked with the library, and it won't work. I promised my friend I wouldn't choose our favorite store because of our current track record...we'd hate to get booted out of there, too! I've called around to different churches, and they have all said that they offer up their rooms free to members. (a sore spot after the 2nd church above kicked us out for paying non-members.)

Anyway, any advice/support/other is appreciated! I was somewhat prepared after my friends' e-mail, but I'm still sort of stunned that I'm here again. Thanks for reading all of this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I was going to recommend the library, but I see you tried that. Contact your local school and ask them who to contact about finding out about renting space. My old SU demo did this once for a large gathering. The middle school rented out their cafeteria to her. The price was pretty reasonable. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you might also want to contact your local hotel/conference center. They should have rooms of various sizes to accomodate your guests and provide tables, chairs and sometimes, refreshments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you!! Those are both great ideas! I would never have thought about renting out the school cafeteria.
I'll let you know how that works out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Check if you have a local senior center. My painting groups gathers in one here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

How about the local park district? Most of them have decent size meeting rooms they rent for various functions.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

How about your local Elks Lodge, Knights of Columbus Hall, Grange or other small halls that are rented for showers and stuff - even if they charge $50 to $100 for the event - with 12 - 22 attending the cost would be minimal per person...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was going to suggest the Recreation/Parks department - VFW Hall? National Guard Hall? KC Hall?

I know loads of these halls have HUGE deposits - used to be we could rent the church hall for something like $25 now its over $500 and we have to do the set up and clean up. Good luck with finding something.

Do you have any Martial Arts or Dance Centers/Gymnastic near you? they may have nights/times they aren't open and be willing to work with you for a smaller fee.

Do you have a county fairground exhibition hall that would be suitable... I had a friend that had her baby's baptismal meal at one and there was loads of space.

Sorry just thinking off the top of my head.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 09-18-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Maybe a Grange Hall?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Our local parks dept. will rent out community rooms in the parks for $100 which you get back entirely if you follow rules and clean really well when you leave. I know a CM demo who used to rent an entire center for Saturday crops. It's worth a call, check the phone book (may be city run or county run in your area).
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Check both city and county, both may have meeting areas. Lions club, optimist club. Check to see if there are any community art centers. Also if any of your members live in apartments or condos, they may have a clubhouse you can use.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This one maybe a long shot but what about a day care, they (in my area) are very strapped for cash and most I have seen have one large room that you may be able to rent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Check your local fire halls too, in our area I know a couple that rent the space for baby/bridal showers. Also the Lion's Club is a good idea too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Call a local Catholic Church...our community has 2 or 3 different facilities which they use for their events, but often sit empty. The prices aren't that bad. And I don't know you would have to be members...one of our facilities has a banner up that is practically begging people to hold events there. Worth a shot.

Also check any vacant buildings in your downtown areas. Often, owners will loan you the space pretty inexpensively. Offer to clean the bathroom, run a vacuum, and you never know what you may be able to get...Best of luck..

I don't know if in this time of strapped cash for many, that you'll find many places for no charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissyleaView Post
Call a local Catholic Church...our community has 2 or 3 different facilities which they use for their events, but often sit empty. The prices aren't that bad. And I don't know you would have to be members...one of our facilities has a banner up that is practically begging people to hold events there. Worth a shot.

Also check any vacant buildings in your downtown areas. Often, owners will loan you the space pretty inexpensively. Offer to clean the bathroom, run a vacuum, and you never know what you may be able to get...Best of luck..

I don't know if in this time of strapped cash for many, that you'll find many places for no charge.
Psst - the halls I was referring to as used to be $25 and now over $500 are the Catholic ones in our area. One I can understand it is purpose built hall and lovely to use... the other is an old school cafeteria (no longer a school there) and looks it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Good news! At least for the time being, because our luck hasn't held the past few months...
One of the members got us the use of her church. Everything about it sounds perfect, except it's in kind of a scary part of town. She says it's more scary than dangerous. She's been attending there for 9 years, and even had Friday night crops there until she found our group. She actually stopped having them there because she loved our group, so now she has the double happiness of still keeping our group going, and being able to have the crops in the church she loves.
I hope that the scariness of the area doesn't keep people away, but I'm sure it will keep some away for sure. In the meantime, I'm very happy, and I trust my friend's opinion on the place.
Wish us luck, ok?? Maybe say a prayer or two if you would. We need it!
Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice. I'll refer to it if I'm ever in this position again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Psst - the halls I was referring to as used to be $25 and now over $500 are the Catholic ones in our area. One I can understand it is purpose built hall and lovely to use... the other is an old school cafeteria (no longer a school there) and looks it.
wow. sorry, I must have missed that detail...

That's crazy prices...I could see an increase to maybe 100-125 from 25.00, but 500 is just ridiculous...for any facility like those..
Reply With Quote Likes