Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Anyone else frustrated by new catalog?

First of all, I LOVE Stampin' Up. I have only been a demonstrator for a year. I joined last year when the new catalog came out. My frustration is in all the new stuff coming out and the MONEY I am going to have to spend to demo it! Maybe I am just too unorganized or something, but it seems I am spending alot on catalogs, mini catalogs, and products. Right now my business is pretty low key. I have 1-2 workshops a month which is all I have time for due to 2 active kids. Any suggestions anyone??
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't feel like you need to buy a lot of stuff. Your demo kit had most of what you need. Just buy a few extras, and then wait until you earn enough to buy more. Just get 1 or 2 packs of minis to show at workshops. Give them out to good customers.

I know the temptation to buy a lot is there, but you really don't need to - for example, you don't need all the new papers or ribbons. You don't even need all of the new colors. Demo something similar to what is in the catty.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Could you possibly hostess a "new catalog kick off" and then offer a small discount so you can get enough orders to earn free hostess sets? Then you wouldn't need to buy anything but you'd have some stuff to show. There were plenty of smaller sets that were really cute and you could spend your hostess dollars on one of those. And if you only give free s/h away, you'd still be making some money off of your customers.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

This was my first full year and quite frankly when I had workshops I demoed only 2 stamp sets and one wheel - I used the same stamp sets (Loads of Love and Shapes and Shadows because both than be used for a variety of themes and occassions)...so you don't need a whole bunch of stuff to demo with...I always brought along a selection of my stamp sets that represented different aspects (like an alphabet, a background,etc...) so people could see them...

I did invest in a nice cardstock ring so people could see what each of the colors look like in real life (as opposed to the catalog) - you could also invest in a ribbon ring if that is your thing - I would bring along snippets of our ribbon so customers could feel them...

As far as mini sets - I usually buy 1 or 2 sets out of each mini and participate in a swap so I have examples of cards with each stamp set...

Mini catalogs...I have given up buying a pack of mini catties as I only have about 8 or so customers - this last go round I did the customer selector and had 1 sent to each of my customers - I also added myself, my hubbie and my 2 kids as customers and had one sent to each of us so I would have a few extra on hand...it is a little more expensive but a lot less time consuming on my part (i.e. I don't have to get them in the hands of my customers - the mail does that for me)

You should join the demo side here at SCS tons of information...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Have you joined the demo only forums here on SCS? There are TONS of tips and ideas to get your business boosted, make the most of limited supplies, etc. To join, go to the home page, and on the left is an article entitled "join a user group". Click on that, and you will have several options to choose from. It's free to join, and well with the minimal effort to apply for membership...

HTH
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree that you don't have to buy a ton of stuff. But, it is Oh So Fun to buy it! lol

You can do a very good workshop with what you got in your starter kit. Also, if you want to show samples of other sets, there are some great swaps you can join here and on the demo side of SCS. It's a great way to show the versatility of one set or to show great samples from other people. There are some great techniques used on swap cards. Swaps are really great resources!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I was VERY impressed by the level one hostess set "Warmest Regards." If I were a demo, I'd try to get that set and then use it in every workshop all year. It is extremely versatile, and that set plus one image set plus a little ink and paper are all you *need* to be able to stamp a HUGE number of cards. That might make stamping seem more possible for your customers, and the fact that they're using a hostess set will make them want to host a show (or they could buy Sincere Salutations). Using two sets over and over, even if you do have repeat customers, will impress upon them how versatile and valuable their stamps are! Plus, you don't bankrupt yourself every month.
Buy what you love, and the customers will feel free to do the same.

Kate

P.S. That said, I'm an accessory junkie, and this catalog is SO not going to help me be good!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I have used several demos over the years. The more new things they can introduce me too, the more I buy. This includes accessories. Maybe go more wheels and more techniques that require purchases of items that you, yourself can get LOTS of mileage out of. Choose sets with wide appeal to your customers. One of my demos is amazing at mixing parts of 3-4 sets to make gorgeous cards. There are several sets that she uses at least a part of at almost every demo.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

"introduce me to"---sorry
Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

My husband has the same frustration and thinks it's all a conspiracy! Take a deep breath and remember that your starter kit has almost ALL you need to host many workshops, add slowly if you need to. Especially since you are low key. I've also realized that it takes money to make money. The first couple of years are hard, hang in there. You'll get to the point where you won't have to *have* everything. (though I haven't seen hide nor hair of the new catalog so I may bee eating those words!)
Something else to think about, have in-home workshops where YOU are the hostess. Then you get the benefits. Good luck!
Mandi