Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with SU products, and the best thing they could have done was go back to 1 catty. We have a $25 club and we've been doing that for about 3 years now. I will admit though that I mostly buy paper, ink and ribbon from SU these days. Stamp sets haven't been that spectacular the past couple of cattys, but the new catty has some promise. Shipping.........it's just part of the cost. doesn't really bother me because we always have a minimum of at leat $150 in each of the club orders.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyG3View Post
I think all shipping costs are too high regardless of what company I purchase from but that is not the companies fault - it's what the shipping companies are charging these days. I do appreciate anytime a company I purchase from has a 'deal' on shipping. I would like to see SU do something like have some specials on shipping. For example, if you buy three stamps sets in one order the shipping is reduced by 50%, or if you buy 5 packs of paper you pay shipping for only 3, etc, etc.

I noticed many of you indicate that the products are better at other companies, particularly the online companies. Do you really think the quality of the product is better? Or do you just like the designs of the other stamps better? I personally don't think you can beat the quality of the SU products.

I also have a wonderful demo - Mary! She is so awesome. I think you have to take that into consideration when you compare SU prices to other companies. I know not all demos are providing added value for whatever reason. If that's the case with yours maybe it's time to check out a new one in your area. Just a thought.

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents. Have a great day!
Overall, I think Stampin' Up! has high quality products. There are a few exceptions though... one is their adhesive. It may work well elsewhere, but in my climate, everything falls apart with it. I prefer ATG 3M tape, or double-sided tape. My demo prefers double-sided tape too.

Another exception is their white cardstock. It is nice and glossy and perfect for brayer techniques, but it is kind of thin. For thick cardstock, I prefer Papertrey's Select White (I will also try Gina K's luxury cardstock soon).

Another exception is their black ink pad. My demo straight out told us that she doesn't like the Stampin' Up! black inkpad because it is purplish. She told us that she prefers the Black Staz-On.

Other things are simply personal preference. My absolute favourite kind of stamps are high-quality photopolymer, so in my mind, a photopolymer stamp is more valuable to me than a rubber stamp. My second favourite stamps are cling-mounted or unmounted rubber stamps, and wood-mounted stamps come in last.

For the designs I like Stampin' Up!'s designs as well as any other companies' designs. Only, when I look at stamps, like their alphabet stamps for example, I have to keep reminding myself that they are wood-mounted and it would be a teensy bit more troublesome for me to get the letters placed perfectly straight next to each other. I detest using the stamp-a-ma-jig (don't have one and won't ever have one!!) and so I really do prefer clear stamps for that. I also like a lot of their two-step stamping sets, but again - I have to keep reminding myself that these are wood-mounted designs. And any set that has flourishes - I love flourishes - but I want to SEE where they will end up while I'm placing it - and wood-mounted makes it harder for me to do that than a clear stamp. So, even without the higher prices coming into play, I manage to talk myself out of a lot of Stampin' Up! stamp sets that I would otherwise love. Instead, I am willing to wait years for a lot of these sets to maybe appear on Ebay for much cheaper prices.

IF wood-mounted were my favourite kind of stamp, I would be spending tons of money with Stampin' Up! 'cause their stamps ARE really great quality.

I have a nice demo too, but I would rather pay lower prices for no added (demonstrator) value than higher prices for personal attention that I don't need.

Now I would happily (and did) pay $$$ for the French language sets that they have FINALLY made available to us Americans!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #43  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
I ask you to take that large order of 200.00 or 500.00 and go to the post office and ask what the shipping would be for your expedited mail service. I am sure that you are looking at a large amount. In Canada the postal rates are ridiculous. Also there is tracking on the SU orders and so if something happens you will get a replacement order. If I place an order I receive it within 10 days. Now that is service. The post office (US and Canada) are hit and miss with delivery. Yes SU prices are high but they do have one of the best stamping rubbers. I am a wood mounted person with some unmounted. I have tried a few acrylic stamp companies and many of them are not a very good stamped image, or they were not at first (once burned twice as shy is my motto). I did recently purchase some flourish sets and they have an awesome acrylic stamped image.

I love SU for their matching CS, PP, inks and markers. Us Canadians pay through the nose for that type of product from PTI. If they ever get a supplier in Canada I would probably get more of that from them, but probably not the stamps.

Lorri

I have to disagree with you on your post as a fellow Canadian. I've just placed my second large order with PTI and they offer $10.00 off shipping costs for every $100.00 spent on PTI merchandise. It is expedited and tracked. My order via PTI arrives within a week or so.

With SU as you know , in Canada, shipping prices for SU are a minimum of $10.00 no matter what the size of your order. - And then it is 10 % of your order plus taxes.

With the Canadian dollar at 90 cents on the US dollar - PTI is cheaper.

Right now I can tell you I placed a PTI order on last Tuesday - it passed thru customs in Canada on Friday at 9:05 pm - and I expect at my door tommorow. I'll let you know if it arrives as it should! Now - that's service!

As far as I know - you cannot expedite SU purchases in Canada - only in the US - but maybe someone who is a demo in Canada can let me if I am correct or not.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post

When I saw the holiday mini I almost swallowed my tongue at the prices. Seriously, only 12 holiday sentiments for $45 after tax/shipping when I can get a set 3 times the size for $15 with no tax or shipping with PTI? I just cannot justify it. I have 2 kids in college.

wowzers! is that a wood mounted rubber stamp set?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow ladies looks like I have set some of you off in ways I didn't want to. I understand all your concerns and frustrations.
I love my Demo but she has recently moved from west coast to east coast so I no longer get he hands on feeling I only get free cats from her but I must say next time I place an order I will be cheeky enough to ask if there is any more discounts she can sort me out with.
I do love SU stamps it's more to the point I am saving for a house we are not sure what this economy is saying so facing SU cats and than facing the shipping and handling just scares me.
I cannot say I am dropping them just yet I think I really have to find another prduct I love as much as I so do SU and also I am a wood mounted gal. Although I recently unmounted my wheels and wow how much more am I now using them LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I have to disagree with you on your post as a fellow Canadian. I've just placed my second large order with PTI and they offer $10.00 off shipping costs for every $100.00 spent on PTI merchandise. It is expedited and tracked. My order via PTI arrives within a week or so.

With SU as you know , in Canada, shipping prices for SU are a minimum of $10.00 no matter what the size of your order. - And then it is 10 % of your order plus taxes.

With the Canadian dollar at 90 cents on the US dollar - PTI is cheaper.

Right now I can tell you I placed a PTI order on last Tuesday - it passed thru customs in Canada on Friday at 9:05 pm - and I expect at my door tommorow. I'll let you know if it arrives as it should! Now - that's service!

As far as I know - you cannot expedite SU purchases in Canada - only in the US - but maybe someone who is a demo in Canada can let me if I am correct or not.
No, you can not expedite, but it arrives to Vancouver, Canada within 5 business days so I don't need to expedite. PTI minimum shipping charge is $19.60 for Canada. To get $10 credit you have to order $100. To get $20 you have to order $200. With SU, when you order $200, you get $20 hostess benefits (so equal to PTI) plus a stamp set. I just had a 43 lbs order delivered for $110 shipping plus all the benefits (they were really high, $130 in free stuff plus stamp sets). I can't compare to PTI shipping charges as they do not list anything heavier than 30 lbs. I don't think I would get that deal, honestly. JMO.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #47  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
No, you can not expedite, but it arrives to Vancouver, Canada within 5 business days so I don't need to expedite. PTI minimum shipping charge is $19.60 for Canada. To get $10 credit you have to order $100. To get $20 you have to order $200. With SU, when you order $200, you get $20 hostess benefits (so equal to PTI) plus a stamp set. I just had a 43 lbs order delivered for $110 shipping plus all the benefits (they were really high, $130 in free stuff plus stamp sets). I can't compare to PTI shipping charges as they do not list anything heavier than 30 lbs. I don't think I would get that deal, honestly. JMO.
No disrepect intended, Happy Inker but I did mention in my post that with PTI that you get $10 off shipping for every $100 that you spend with PTI.

I am in Vancouver myself - and I find that when I place an order with my SU demo - it arrives usually in about 10 day to 2 weeks - and generally speaking my demo usually does not know the date it will arrive.

You are correct about the hostess benefits - but you have spend $200.00 to get that benefit.

With PTI I also don't pay the 14 % taxes on my order - plus I get my stuff at the going rate - so for me - I am happy to try out PTI for the second time. I will still purchase from SU - just a lot less than in past. There is not duty - and every now and then a order will be caught and I will pay PST and GST - but not last time I ordered over $100.00 from PTI! So - I feel I am doing well by ordering from PTI. JMHO!! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

Quote:

No disrepect intended, Happy Inker but I did mention in my post that with PTI that you get $10 off shipping for every $100 that you spend with PTI.

I am in Vancouver myself - and I find that when I place an order with my SU demo - it arrives usually in about 10 day to 2 weeks - and generally speaking my demo usually does not know the date it will arrive.

You are correct about the hostess benefits - but you have spend $200.00 to get that benefit.

With PTI I also don't pay the 14 % taxes on my order - plus I get my stuff at the going rate - so for me - I am happy to try out PTI for the second time. I will still purchase from SU - just a lot less than in past. There is not duty - and every now and then a order will be caught and I will pay PST and GST - but not last time I ordered over $100.00 from PTI! So - I feel I am doing well by ordering from PTI. JMHO!! ;)
Oh, I don't take offense at things like this - it is just an exchange of opinions, LOL. Those delivery times for your orders are strange, my SU orders are always here within a week once shipped (5 business days plus weekend, sometimes no weekend) unless held at the border for whatever reason. I don't understand why your demo doesn't know when an order is arriving, she gets a tracking number with a delivery date stated when tracked. But anyway, what I also like is that I never pay additional duty, I pretty much had to pay duty charges with all the other companies if the order is over $100. It might be my luck, but, oh, the money that I paid in duty...

I am not trying to stop you from buying PTI, I am just trying to say that in my mind SU has decent shipping charges.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #49  
Crimping Master

Quote:

By the way, nice gallery!! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #50  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
By the way, nice gallery!! ;)

Thanks! Got to check out yours! I really did like the soft centers set by SU!!! Fun stuff!!!:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #51  
Full of Malarky

Happy Inker - gorgeous gallery!! I left a couple of comments! Nice to meet you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Happy Inker - gorgeous gallery!! I left a couple of comments! Nice to meet you!
Likewise... I am still going through yours. Coffee one day?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #53  
Full of Malarky

Sure!:-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Try looking at the European and British prices for SU. They are seriously stupid and I only ever order stuff I absolutely have to have from my demo here. It also means that ordering just a pack of card or something small is out of the question and I don't have anyone else to share an order with. The catalogue is pretty naff too and only has a small percentage of what is contained in the US catty. My theory is that the French are really into scrapbooking, which I am not, and so a lot of the stamps are aimed at scrapbookers. The French pretty much don't send or make cards, so all the really nice, what I call 'feature' stamps aren't in the European catalogues. Don't get me started on the postage. It starts at 6 euros and is sent by [I]courrier[I] can you believe? What is wrong with the postal system (which is very good)? Yes, the courrier is quick but most of the other stuff I buy here is sent by post and isn't much slower and doesn't cost as much. Also, often other companies I use here give you free postage if you spend about 40 euros. As my demo lives hundreds of miles from me, I don't get any of the benefits that come from having a demo nearby either. As a final gripe, I seriously resent paying for wooden blocks that I don't want. Even Hero Arts has introduced unmounted rubber. When will SU ever catch up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
wowzers! is that a wood mounted rubber stamp set?!
No, PTI sells only high-quality photopolymer stamps.

But even if photopolymer stamps cost more than wood-mounted stamps, I would still buy the photopolymer ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I'd like to throw some info into the mix. I work full-time as a Mail Order/Online Sales manager for a company (and moonlight with SU! ;)) and here's something to remember about UPS: after a certain point they start basing shipping costs on DIMENSIONAL weight, not ACTUAL weight. So if the company has to ship in a box that has a dimensional weight of 20 pounds, that's what UPS charges, regardless if the box actually weighs that.

Everyday I have to ship out product that only weighs 5 pounds, but UPS charges for 30 pounds (they're going off the dimensions of the box), so I have to pass that charge onto the customer. Rather than figuring the shipping costs of each box individually, figures are calculated and spread out among all customers.

While my latest personal order from SU! was only $50 (and so I paid $6.95 for a small weight) my Big Shot came in a box and only cost around $8 to ship, even though it weighs quite a lot. It all evens out.

UPS may not be the cheapest form of shipping, but trust me, they're the BEST on the back-end. I'm on the phone with them almost every day and they really do stand behind their work. We've used other companies, and in the end, you really do get what you pay for with UPS.

Also keep in mind that (at least here in the US) the post office is cheaper, but if they leave your box of brand new stamps out on your porch in the rain, they're not gonna care one bit. UPS will pick up the box, return it, and pay the company back for shipping so they can ship you a replacement at no charge.

I'm not justifying SU! in any way (I have no idea about their pricing structures), but just giving an inside look at shipping with UPS.

All the best,
T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the shipping. On the one hand, I like to get free shipping and the fact is that SU ships a huge amount every day so they pay significantly less than what you or I would for shipping a box. On the other hand, I like SU quality and the little perks my demo offers to make me feel appreciated. It might be an extra hostess gift if I place a large order, or a little thank you here or there but I enjoy feeling pampered!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Just want to add: I'm feeling the pinch with EVERYTHING, not just shipping prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Just want to add: I'm feeling the pinch with EVERYTHING, not just shipping prices.

I hear you I guess that was more to of the point I was making, guess when people feel the pinch what do they give up first the hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShimaView Post
Quote:

Yeah, that does make things tough for us sellers of hobby supplies! Since I have folks who are buying a lot less product but still want to stamp and create, I've thought about offering more stamp-a-stacks, stamp camps and classes so that they can continue to enjoy their crafting hobby while they wait for things to turn around!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I cut my stamping teeth on SU too. In the past 5 or more years I've hardly ordered anything from them at all. Whenever you have a "middle man" you're ultimately paying more. I just don't think any of their stuff justifies the outragous prices and even more outrageuos shipping they charge. I think they would do better as a company if they switched to making clear stamps, and cut out the demos, and just sell through their website. It would cut prices drastically, and be easier for people to shop. I hate having to find a demo to order something, especially knowing I am paying extra to have them do what I can do for myself! It just doesn't make any sense. Times are changing, and so should SU. What worked 10 years ago is now considered old school. Who has time to go to a party or hunt down a demo?!
If they made clear stamps they'd lose a lot of demos! Me included!
Not everyone likes them and a lot of people don't think wood mounted stamps are Old School.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too am feeling the pinch in many areas. When it comes to my stamping supplies, I admit it - I think twice, sometimes three or four times before I place an order, especially if I have to pay shipping on it. When I do place an order, I make sure it is exactly what I want and that I absolutely love it and will use it lots. I can't afford for anything to sit and gather dust. I am glad that SU went back to one catalog per year. I don't feel like I gotta have it before the next catty comes out. KWIM? CTMH is three times a year, and honestly, I wish they'd go to one or two a year.

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm Feeling the Pinch...

In April, I was let go from a job I held for four years in the financial industry. Made great money. I was in an SU! stampers 10 group. I loved getting the hands on tutorials every month and buying various stamp sets. I didn't really limit myself to a budget. But now, I have to curb my stamping spending. I'm still in the stamp club but try to only spend about $25 per month on SU! I'm sure once I'm employed again I'll increase that amount. ;)

I've only ordered from one other online retailer, and she offered free shipping over $55 spent. I try to wait until there's plenty I want from that retailer and then place an order, because it does get pricey. I guess it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay in this current economy.

I appreciate the "UPS insider's" perspective on shipping costs. It's not always the retailer's fault for their shipping. I think sometimes our frustrations are based on the prices versus amount of what we are getting in relation to the quality and number of stamps in a set being purchased. I gasp when I look at a set I want and it's almost $40. I'm waiting for my turn as hostess to get that set and I have to wait until April.

To the OP I would completely understand that spending $500 on an order you'd expect the shipping to go down with the amount of the order. Yes I'd be scratching my head over that one too, but I understand UPS is part of the 'problem' so to speak. Best of luck with your dreams of purchasing a home.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
No, PTI sells only high-quality photopolymer stamps.

But even if photopolymer stamps cost more than wood-mounted stamps, I would still buy the photopolymer ones.
bummer... i'm a wood mounted rubber kind of girl... LOL

isn't it so funny how we all have our little quirks?!

thanks for your reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm almost 100% SU except Michael's $1.00 stamps. I love wood mounted and while I've looked at lots of other companies I would rather stay with SU. I've always thought this was an expensive hobby for me. I have a limited stamping budget and it's taken me four years to get a good supply to create what I want at any given moment. I just buy what I can. I know there are less expensive companies out there....but it's worth it for me to stay with SU....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I cut my stamping teeth on SU too. In the past 5 or more years I've hardly ordered anything from them at all. Whenever you have a "middle man" you're ultimately paying more. I just don't think any of their stuff justifies the outragous prices and even more outrageuos shipping they charge. I think they would do better as a company if they switched to making clear stamps, and cut out the demos, and just sell through their website. It would cut prices drastically, and be easier for people to shop. I hate having to find a demo to order something, especially knowing I am paying extra to have them do what I can do for myself! It just doesn't make any sense. Times are changing, and so should SU. What worked 10 years ago is now considered old school. Who has time to go to a party or hunt down a demo?!
When I get frustrated with the whole direct-sales approach, I just visit ebay (not just for SU! but also for TAC and CTMH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
If they made clear stamps they'd lose a lot of demos! Me included!
Not everyone likes them and a lot of people don't think wood mounted stamps are Old School.....
They might gain enough new demos to replace the ones they'd lose. They would be moving into CTMH's territory too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to nancy2043

I am about an hour from Lancaster and go there frequently. What's the shop's name/address/web site? so I can make a stop there next time. We love to have lunch at Lapp's while there too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Nope--I wanted a sentiment for a card that I was making. I needed it soon so I went the my LSS. It is about 40 minutes away. I paid $3.05 for gas and that took at least 2 gallons of gas, plus miles on my car and too much time for one stamp. I did find a stamp but it was $12.00 for one greeting. I can do much better with a set of stamps through SU and have more than one use. I figure I am getting a great deal. I love the wooden---my LSS sells almost all wooden too--but not for the value of SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

i am....(raising my hand high) i love there products but can't fathom spending absurd prices for it.. and shipping is stupid high too... i'm shopping more and more at my Local Scrap Store which is limited cause i'm in a small town then paying for S.U. or shopping online. I belong to a group that gets together every month to learn a new technique and buy S.U. goodies but i won't be buying very much this time around :( Oh well maybe S.U. will learn when their sales are down... it's a shame and i feel mostly for the demos!big box corps...GRR... well that's a different rant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #71  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
Nope--I wanted a sentiment for a card that I was making. I needed it soon so I went the my LSS. It is about 40 minutes away. I paid $3.05 for gas and that took at least 2 gallons of gas, plus miles on my car and too much time for one stamp. I did find a stamp but it was $12.00 for one greeting. I can do much better with a set of stamps through SU and have more than one use. I figure I am getting a great deal. I love the wooden---my LSS sells almost all wooden too--but not for the value of SU.
That's when I just make a sentiment on the computer, printed on cardstock and cut out, punch it, etc. for the card...especially if it's a one time thing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

They might gain enough new demos to replace the ones they'd lose. They would be moving into CTMH's territory too!!
I doubt that would happen....there are enough of us that much prefer the quality of the wood mounted stamps. There's tons of companies that supply clear stamps, shall I pressure them to make wood mounted stamps? ....it's the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

SU! would loose a lot of customers AS WELL as demos if they made the switch to clear stamps.

i think we are all lucky that there are so many companies to choose from with so much to offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
I doubt that would happen....there are enough of us that much prefer the quality of the wood mounted stamps. There's tons of companies that supply clear stamps, shall I pressure them to make wood mounted stamps? ....it's the same thing.
No no, I wasn't suggesting that anyone pressure SU! to go clear. Just pointing out that although they would lose demos (and customers), they would also gain some NEW demos (and new customers).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm one of the Canadians that have been hit with SU's incredible price hike. I just started buy some SU products just a few months ago, but with the price increases probably won't be buying anymore. The price increase also means that the cost to me for shipping goes up. And I actually prefer unmounted stamps (either rubber or photopolymer) so I don't like getting (and paying for) wood pieces I won't use. There are just so many other companies out there that have the same or better quality products for less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #76  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I made my first order with SU a month ago. I dropped close to $500 on my first order and paid a lot of shipping. Almost fainted, lol. I thought it would be cheaper if I ordered more. I want to make another order but I won't be dropping the same amount of money. I will be doing the $50 range. I am a little hesitant because of the shipping costs. I will still probably do it because the pro's outweigh the con's for me. The frugal girl in me still wants to faint, lol.

Yes but I am assuming with a $500 - you also received extra benefits above and beyond just your order...so on a $500 order S&H is $50 - but you also should have recieved 1 or more hostess sets + $60 in Free Merchandise

Is S&H expensive..yes and no - it is all in how you value something...there are many times I haven't bought $20 or $30 item on-line because there is an $8.95 shipping charge or I balk at buying a $15 item because shipping would cost me 40% of the total...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

No no, I wasn't suggesting that anyone pressure SU! to go clear. Just pointing out that although they would lose demos (and customers), they would also gain some NEW demos (and new customers).
Pretty well every thread has someone nagging SU to go unmounted...It drives me nuts! Su will gain enough new demos by keeping the quality product they supply.
There is so much SU Bashing on this general side it's unreal.....there are tons of companies that have unmounted clear stamps...the gallery is an example lately of the different styles of stamps...to each his own. I really hope SU never goes that way.....they don't need to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

price creepage is everywhere. just saw a lovely alphabet (unmounted on ezfoam for $50! Too steep for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree that SU shipping prices are high. I also don't like it that they add your order total and your shipping charges together and then charge sales on that amount. Give me a break! I always try to find anything that Stampin Up sells elsewhere first (like adhesive or some of their punches). I did break down and buy their choc chip ink pad because I couldn't find that dark of a brown anywhere else. I'll probably do the same with night of navy.

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawz94View Post
I agree that SU shipping prices are high. I also don't like it that they add your order total and your shipping charges together and then charge sales on that amount. Give me a break! I always try to find anything that Stampin Up sells elsewhere first (like adhesive or some of their punches). I did break down and buy their choc chip ink pad because I couldn't find that dark of a brown anywhere else. I'll probably do the same with night of navy.
the circumstances under which tax is charged (or not) on shipping is controlled by State laws, which differ.
Reply With Quote Likes