Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone doing Steampunk? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/anyone-doing-steampunk-519871/)

Stampo 02-08-2011 08:58 PM

Anyone doing Steampunk?

Steampunk is my latest obsession and I love everything Steampunk I see or stamp... anyone else share this... would love to see anything Steampunk you've done...

shirleydh 02-08-2011 10:02 PM

I love the steampunk stuff. It reminds me of an old series I used to watch with my dad, The Wild, Wild West. I am getting ready to place an order from the graphic 45 and 7 gypsies lines. I've found some great stuff with them. At least, it's what I consider steampunk!! Anyway, it all fits right up the vintage alley, and that's my favorite look!!

iamvics 02-08-2011 11:15 PM

Love it! Here's a little quilt I made: ...

It's this week's theme over at Sunday Postcard Art: Sunday Postcard Art

Vic

Cook22 02-09-2011 12:28 AM

There's a bit in the gallery, especially in the ATC selection. Here's what comes up when you do a search for it - steampunk - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

SuG 02-09-2011 03:43 AM

so funny you just posted this. I just went to B&N to find a book on steampunk paper craft. Nothing, some jewelry books. They also had an endcap display of steampunk novels.

I just found a box (fills the large SU stamp clamshell) with watch parts in my dad's workshop. And another skippy peanut butter jar filled with old key's. He has been dead since 2001 and had Alzheimers for a few years previous, so you know he had them for a long time.
I need inspiration because i love the look, but it is so far off my style.

Lucky me :)

Moosekrazy 02-09-2011 04:17 AM

Love the Steampunk!! Now I know why I've saved all those old keys, watches and other bits all these years! Dh just thought I was a packrat!!!

SuG 02-09-2011 04:49 AM

I have always told my dh packrat is a good thing. you know as soon as you throw it away it becomes needed/fashionable.

geogymnast82 02-09-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuG (Post 17933571)
I have always told my dh packrat is a good thing. you know as soon as you throw it away it becomes needed/fashionable.

I tell my dh the same thing - but he doesn't buy it, unless he's applying it to himself. When I want to apply it to me, he's always telling me that I need to get rid of all that "junk".

I haven't had time to take pictures of my steampunk projects, but I get most of my inspiration from non-SCS sites because there's just not that much posted here. Since this site is still so SU heavy, I go elsewhere for my inspiration for a lot of styles. Hopefully, alternative styles like Steampunk will pick up here now that it's showing up more and more in the entertainment industry and in crafting. I was surprised to see awhile back that the singing duo Sugarland's latest tour has a steampunk feel. There latest music cd is all steampunked out - great design.

SuG 02-09-2011 05:13 AM

would you mind sharing a site or two? I will google but you may have a site more dedicated to paper steampunk than jewelery.

HeatherHolbrook 02-09-2011 06:03 AM

Here's a couple of collage soldered pendants I've done:
P is for Paper � Blog Archive � It’s Getting Steamy in Here

scrappychica 02-09-2011 06:37 AM

oh snap. I never knew what "steampunk" was but I LOVE it, all those trinkets make fantastic shadow boxes..thinking tim holtz here

Valli 02-09-2011 09:06 AM

So funny -- I almost posted the exact same question last night! I spent the time searching the forums and gallery for steamy things!

I've been a fan since before steampunk had a name -- love the literature, movies, and now art! I made a notebook a few weeks ago, have fiiled up a steampunk trunk with stamps and embellishments and all kinds of goodies to craft with.

Some companies that have cool steamy stuff are Oxford Impressions, Golden Acorn (at Bonanza.com), Tattered Angels, 7 Gypsies, Maya Road, and anything Tim Holtz.

One of the best forum sites I found is Brass Goggles:The lighter side of Steampunk .

Most of my art so far is steampunk "lite" -- no top hats with birdcages yet. How do you feel about the phantasmagorical side? Can a piece be considered steampunk if it is more science than fantasy?

Can't wait to see what you all have to say!

Phantom 02-09-2011 03:21 PM

I love Steampunk but haven't had a lot of time to play around with it lately. It's fun to see all of the links shared here though! Some sites I hadn't seen before!

I hope the lack of 'alternative' styles here on SCS will just inspire all of you and others who like their art a little more 'out there,' or even just like to experiment, to upload here so there is more diversity. I'd love to see SCS break away a bit more and that can happen in the galleries.

Lainy67 02-09-2011 03:23 PM

LOL... I JUST posted a card I did a few weeks ago literally a few minutes ago.

It is here:Steampunk Birthday

It was a card for my Sister-in-Law that never arrived... so I am just now posting it.

JBgreendawn 02-09-2011 03:44 PM

well... I clicked on your thread because the steampunk word... someone had mentioned it when i posted this card... but, after looking at some of the other links you've received it does not look the same to me. but, I have tons of gear and parts and lumps and bumps, haven't played with those things i a while. was just thinking about that recently too.

kphorse 02-09-2011 04:28 PM

I have some papers and stamps that are for Steam Punk, but I have not done anything with them yet...

herekitty 02-09-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuG (Post 17933349)
so funny you just posted this. I just went to B&N to find a book on steampunk paper craft. Nothing, some jewelry books. They also had an endcap display of steampunk novels.
:)

Scrap 'n Art is doing a special Steampunk edition in March. :)

katroush 02-09-2011 05:10 PM

If you like steampunk you should go to urban threads. they have great designs for embroudery, but could easily be used for papercrafts

iamvics 02-09-2011 07:25 PM

Here's my mini quilt: Steampunk Mini Quilt by iamvics - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Vic

Moosekrazy 02-10-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuG (Post 17933571)

That is why I'm no good at the purge thing! I always need it after I get rid of it!

geogymnast82 02-10-2011 04:47 AM

I get a lot of inspiration in general from wedding related sites whether it be for wedding photography, wedding planners, invitations, etc. because they have a wide variety of color combinations, layouts choices, design styles. So, I usually do a lot of poking around on searches like "steampunk wedding invitations" and it'll bring all types of takes on the steampunk style. People's idea of steampunk can range from just a little "stuff" to really dark, mechanical with lots of "stuff". By poking around on the various sites brought up by the searches, you can get a better feel for what your version is. I personally don't like tons of "stuff" but go more for the cleaner look (yes, that is possible with steampunk). Just look around and you'd be amazed at the different versions/levels of intensity of steampunk you can find.

I like looking at this site for invitations:
Royal Steamline { gothic / retro / steampunk / vintage wedding invitations } | for non-traditional brides & grooms

SassyStamptress 02-10-2011 01:17 PM

Steampunk

Is my new found craze!!!!

Hello everyone I'm new around here ..........

Heh Wayne ....

Vina82 02-10-2011 02:59 PM

I've seen crafty Steampunk in the past but never took a second look until I started following Tim Holtz's blog & seeing his creations. I'm a new admirer of Steampunk!
You can find a ton of Steampunk related crafts, mini albums, charm tutorials on YouTube.com.

SassyStamptress 02-10-2011 03:20 PM

nice

Wow ... Very Nice Work!!!

[QUOTE=HeatherHolbrook;17933825]Here's a couple of collage soldered pendants I've done:

Valli 02-10-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassyStamptress (Post 17939760)
Is my new found craze!!!!

Hello everyone I'm new around here ..........

Heh Wayne ....

Welcome to SCS, Jessica! You are among (zany, wonderful, super) friends here!

SassyStamptress 02-10-2011 05:10 PM

Thank you Valli!! ..... :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valli (Post 17940550)
Welcome to SCS, Jessica! You are among (zany, wonderful, super) friends here!

Tizzy 02-10-2011 05:14 PM

I've loved Steampunk for ages & ages but never had the courage to translate it onto card...or any of my crafts tbh, i also renovate and decorate dolls houses and it's a dream of mine to do a steampunk house, sounds mad i know but think it would be fun to do.

Welcome to SCS Land Jessica you'll love it here!
*Hugs*

SassyStamptress 02-11-2011 12:49 PM

Hmmmm Strange!! ... Does anyone know why my
post was deleted??? I'm a newbie so not 100% schooled
on all the pros/cons ....

geogymnast82 02-11-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassyStamptress (Post 17944298)
Hmmmm Strange!! ... Does anyone know why my
post was deleted??? I'm a newbie so not 100% schooled
on all the pros/cons ....

I didn't see your post but if you had a link to an offsite gallery (not a blog but a photo site), mods have been deleting those without leaving any type of comment as to why they did what they did. If they would put a comment in like "link deleted by moderator because..." then everyone would learn.

SassyStamptress 02-11-2011 01:39 PM

Thank you .. and Ditto ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82 (Post 17944418)
I didn't see your post but if you had a link to an offsite gallery (not a blog but a photo site), mods have been deleting those without leaving any type of comment as to why they did what they did. If they would put a comment in like "link deleted by moderator because..." then everyone would learn.

Andy Skinner 04-24-2011 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just completed a Steampunk time machine, had such a good time playing with this! nearly everything used is old junk or made from cardboard.

Here it is the gallery

Phantom 04-24-2011 07:26 AM

Okay, this is fabulous. Pure genius!!!! Thanks for sharing -- love it.

SassyStamptress 04-24-2011 09:57 AM

Andy .... LOVE IT!!

cat_woman 04-24-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Skinner (Post 18240169)
Just completed a Steampunk time machine, had such a good time playing with this! nearly everything used is old junk or made from cardboard.

Here it is the gallery

This is gorgeous! I'm hosting a steampunk ATC swap on Stampin' Canada right now and its going to be really fun. I haven't done anything steampunk yet, so I've got all these wild ideas running around in my head.

SuG 04-24-2011 10:40 AM

ok this is just weird, I came on to my subscriptions to see if I could find this old thread and it was the top one in my subscriptions!
I made my 1st attempt at steampunk today. It is minimal but it is a start!
uncle David's bday card by SuG by SuG - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

SuG 04-24-2011 10:41 AM

ok now I looked at Andy's and realize I have a long way to goLOL!!
that is fantastic!!!!

Andy Skinner 04-24-2011 01:01 PM

Its just cardboard and a dry brush and a little boyish imagination! I was always happy as a child with a cardboard box...much more fun than the presents!! lol

kphorse 04-24-2011 01:11 PM

Check out Graphic 45 Steam-punk line and the Hampton Art cling stamps to go along with it...

Andy Skinner 04-24-2011 01:18 PM

Don't understand the last post....i don't want anything to go with it? :rolleyes:
Now i'm in trouble!

CraftyCardShark 04-24-2011 01:28 PM

Not sure if examples are still of interest, but here is my take on Steampunk from my SCS Gallery. :). My League Of Extraordinary Gentleman. by CraftyCardShark - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers