Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to use SU stamps to make a Harry Potter-themed card?

I'm drawing a blank.

My son wants a Harry Potter-themed birthday party this year, and I'd love to be able to stamp his invitations and card, but I am not sure where to start.

Any ideas?

The one thing I MIGHT do is use the puzzles and stamp the invite on the puzzles. But I don't have to do that.

Anything would be a help at this point! I may end up buying (*gasp*) pre-printed cards!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I called my daughter up from downstairs to help. She is the resident HP walking encyclopedia.... These were her ideas... Must have an HP on the card somewhere. Then we were flipping through the catalog and came across all wrapped up and the accessories and thought what a cute way to make chocolate frogs and Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans (the bag is purple) with the jelly bean stamp in the cello bag stamp. The long stick stamp in the same set could be used as a wand. We also thought maybe a 5 sided card (she said the box is red) like the chocolate frog boxes with the frog kind of spring loaded on the inside to pop up when the card is opened might be fun too. She also said a lightening bolt is important. (maybe drawn on or use left over rubber from mounting stamps to make one?)
I hope we have somehow helped just a little.....
(Lizzie) and Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Our 10 DS is a die-hard HP fanatic, too! For his last birthday, I made his card using navy cs, then used a cloud stencil and white pigment ink with a sponge to make the clouds. I then stamped in gold and silver using the Stars and Swirls set--seems kinda wizard-y. On the inside, I stamped a background with tiny silver stars and printed "Have a magical birthday" on white and mounted it inside. I downloaded a free HP font to do the text. Check out these 2 links for free HP fonts... (I also stamped '10" on the front, as he was turning 10...)

http://www.mugglenet.com/downloads/fonts/
http://harry-potter.hellzworld.com/hp_fonts.html

I attached a pic of the card front--not sure the scan shows the detail... It's pretty cool!

HTH!

Did the same steps to make a plaque for his door-painted a wood plaque blue, then mixed a pearl medium with white paint for the clouds, then printed out the text (in outline format) using an HP font onto typing paper, traced it onto the plaque using carbon paper, then painted it in gold metallic paint. Stamped with Stars & Swirls in the silver and gold metallic pigment inks to fill in-- It rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to use SU stamps to make a Harry Potter-themed card?-jd-wizard-card-front.jpg  

Last edited by stampinboilermaker; 10-16-2005 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

One thing that I do when I need an image that I don't have is use clip art. I find the image and download it. Then I use Word to print it where I want it, or print a bunch and cut them out. I'll bet you could find the HP and lightning bolt to download. Or the Gryffindor crest would be good too. I might also suggest finding stickers at your local IParty or party store and using those. Love the other ideas about the Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and the Chocolate Frog boxes. Show us what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you so much ladies both for asking this and for posting the fonts!!!!

My DD is a HUGE HP fan and I am going to make her a card for the movie premiere next month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Oh my goodness, I knew you guys would come through for me!! What incredibly creative people we have here! Thank you SO much!

If anyone has more ideas, keep 'em coming because I still have the whole party to plan!!! (His birthday is really at the beginning of the month, but he has asked to postpone his birthday to correspond with the opening of the next movie!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you have Cold Play from the holiday mini? How about taking the scarf from that and using the markers to make it the colors of his favorite Hogwart's house?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Did a quick search for Chocolate Frogs and came up with this... http://www.chocolatevault.com/frogs.htm

Not sure what your budget is or how many kids you may be having, but it's a cute idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I did a Harry Potter themed birthday for my daughter this year and made her invitations using the set Magic and Wonder. It has an owl as well as a cool wizard that looks like Dumbledore.

I've spent about 20 minutes hunting for the invitation so I could scan it in but I can't find it. I used the owl on the front and printed "Emily has sent you an owl" above where I stamped the owl. When you opened it, the wizard was stamped on the inside and the invitation wording was printed in the center. They turned out really cool. Now I'm going to have to tear my stamp room apart...I need the invitation for her scrapbook and I know it's there somewhere!

For the party, we used a Halloween witches hat as the sorting hat and I had them pick a scroll from a bowl, touch the hat with the scroll (the sorting hat had laryngitis, I explained) and when they opened the scroll, it told them which house they were in. I found foam stamps with the different house crests at Party City and made house badges/name tags with gold notary seals with the crests stamped in Stazon. I printed the name tags, then when they drew their house, I put the crest on the name tag and they put the name tag on their robes. They were invited to wear "wizard attire" though it was not required...it was cute to see how many had Harry Potter robes and how many improvised.

We had pumpkin juice (ginger ale and Splash) in a plastic cauldron for drinks, Cheesy Hat Shaped Pastries (pizza), Professor Sprouts Greenhouse Goodies (veggies & dip) and a beautiful cake I had a friend make with the Hogwarts crest on it.

They made wands (dowels and wooden spools), stamped a mini composition book, and played games: broom races - they had to ride a broom with a spoon balancing a bouncy ball and get them into a bowl at the end of the course...the team who finished getting all their balls in the bowl won, and hunt the snitch (I hit a gold ball with wings stuck in the sides in the parish hall where we had the party), plus a pinata.

It was a fun party and the one mom that stayed to help thought I should do children's parties for a sideline!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

We just had our second Hogwart's party in a row. I printed out invitations to look like the letter that Harry got in book one that invited him to attend Hogwarts. Everyone loved them! I bought yellow looking parchment (resume) paper, printed it with green ink, and then ripped up the edges to make it look more like parchment. I made a wax seal on the outside by melting a purple crayon and stamping an "H" in the wax. I'll try to attach the document I used if you are interested in it.

I found some foam stamps for the four houses and when each child came in, they drew a house name from a witch's hat (the sorting hat). I read the name of the house out in a big booming voice like in the movies. Then, the child got a stamp of their house on their hand. We later played a Potter trivia game and the kids sorted into groups according to their house. Of course, each kid got prizes that we had picked out to represent some of the classes taught at hogwarts--bubbles for Potions class, stretchy frogs for Care of Magical Creatures, little magic eight balls for Divination, water guns for Defense Against the Dark Arts (okay, this wasn't the best, but I couldn't find anything better), etc. See what you can find in the party favors aisle.

The favorite part of the party was that the kids all got to drink butterbeer. I bought glass bottles of root beer and cream soda. The kids LOVED this. I have no idea why they found this so amusing. I also filled a cauldron with a potion--actually it was sherbert punch, but it foamed like a potion! The kids all got plastic goblets that I found on clearance at the end of the summer. They were really cool. They broke open a pinata shaped like a dragon (Norwegian Ridgeback perhaps?), and the cake was shaped like a Hogwart's castle. We used the Wilton cake pan that shaped like a castle. Since we were having lots of people, we had the bakery place the shaped cake on a sheet cake. The sheetcake was decorated to look like the grounds at Hogwarts (complete with the whomping willow), and the castle was decorated to look like Hogwart's itself with stone gray walls. It was fantastic! My daughter said that was the best birthday party ever. And I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I couldn't figure out how to attach a document, so here is the text of my dd's party invites. I used fancy fonts for the letterhead portions of the invite, but it doesn't show here:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Jones,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been invited to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for a birthday celebration for ****.
The celebration begins at 6:00 p.m., Friday, September 2 and ends at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, September 3. Immediately following the celebration, a sleepover will be held in the girls’ dormitory. Please bring your pajamas, pillow, and sleeping bag.
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is located at #1 **** Drive, ****** subdivision. We await your response by owl no later than August 29. If you do not have an owl, you may use a telephone (555-1234).

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have a set of Harry Potter stamps! They are foam stamps, and I got them YEARS ago...back when book 1 was getting big. I use them all the time to send stuff to my Mom. She teaches 4th grade and is a HP FREAK! Put it this way...teachers at her school paint the wall in front of their classrooms. My mom had my brother (a fabulous artist) paint Hogwarts and the grounds, including the lake, Hagrid's hut, and a stopped train dropping off students. Hedwig is also there holding a parchment that has her name, grade, and room number. Yep...FREAK!

Good luck on your cards!

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

If you like the idea of the chocolate frogs (above) but it will cut too far into your budget, you may be able to find a candy mold with frog shapes (a few dollars). Then just buy some of the chocolate pieces & the little cello bags - you can make as many as you need. Could even stamp a topper for the bag that plays into the party theme.
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default HP Fan

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyStampFrog
Thank you so much ladies both for asking this and for posting the fonts!!!!

My DD is a HUGE HP fan and I am going to make her a card for the movie premiere next month.
Hi Deseree' just foolin around on this web site
haven'tfigured it all out yet. But I know if I keep playing w it eventually I'll get to where I intend to go.
Did you find any Harry Potter stamps yet?
what is a DD?
Luv Aunt Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Rice
Hi Deseree' just foolin around on this web site
haven'tfigured it all out yet. But I know if I keep playing w it eventually I'll get to where I intend to go.
Did you find any Harry Potter stamps yet?
what is a DD?
Luv Aunt Marie

Hi, Auntie Marie!!!

DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son
DH = Dear Husband
DW = Dear Wife (altho, you don't see that acronym around here that much cuz most of us are of the female persuasion --'cept, of course, Daven, the owner of SCS. )

If you CLICK HERE , it will take you to a post where all these acronyms are discussed--very good stuff to know! LOL (Laughing Out Loud)!!!

Hugs, and welcome to SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Print Pattern would work really well as a background on the invitation. Its on the inside covers of the books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 04:00 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

PrairieStamper - we'd love to see what you came up with!
Reply With Quote Likes