Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Any suggestions for this? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/any-suggestions-478165/)

scoutpup 01-28-2010 02:08 PM

Any suggestions for this?

I was hoping you all could help me find a way to make my own swiss dot embossed background without the plate.

I am interning at a residential community for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and am wanting to make all 48 residents a valentines card. However one resident is blind so I would like to case this card http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...2411?&si=donut but with a valentines theme because it has lots of different textures. I have the ribbon, the punches, the charm, everything but the ability to dry emboss the swiss dots. So I was hoping someone had a suggestion of a way to make it on my own.

Thanks for the help everyone!

sewsplendidstamper 01-28-2010 02:12 PM

Do you have the ability to score a grid pattern instead? Using a paper cutter and score blade?

Or you could stickle random dots as that adds texture.

You could also lay the paper on a mouse pad and emboss with a pen tip or something not quite sharp but it would be tough to have a uniform layout.

Good luck.

CardLadyToo 01-28-2010 02:22 PM

I would be happy to emboss a couple cards or card fronts for you .....pm me with mailing info!

scoutpup 01-28-2010 02:33 PM

Thanks Margaret! I sent you a PM just now.

In case anyone is curious, here is a link to the organization www.bishopgradyvillas.org and another link to a video about the place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5VYOcIeE78 This is truly a beautiful place with beautiful people. I love being there!

SkyNacho 01-28-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper (Post 16003114)
Do you have the ability to score a grid pattern instead? Using a paper cutter and score blade?

Or you could stickle random dots as that adds texture.

You could also lay the paper on a mouse pad and emboss with a pen tip or something not quite sharp but it would be tough to have a uniform layout.

Good luck.

If you had a piece of plastic canvas, and an embossing stylus, and a mouse pad, you could do it. Flip your card front over. Tape it down on the edges/corners. Secure the canvas over it. Use the stylus to emboss (I think you'd have to push or rub in small circles), using the canvas to guide your dot placement. if your stylus is JUST slightly smaller than the sqaures, you should be able to keep them uniform.

cat_woman 01-28-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNacho (Post 16003361)
If you had a piece of plastic canvas, and an embossing stylus, and a mouse pad, you could do it. Flip your card front over. Tape it down on the edges/corners. Secure the canvas over it. Use the stylus to emboss (I think you'd have to push or rub in small circles), using the canvas to guide your dot placement. if your stylus is JUST slightly smaller than the sqaures, you should be able to keep them uniform.

Thats what I would suggest. It would also work similarily to the equipment they use to "write" in braille.

scoutpup 01-28-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks for the plastic canvas idea. I have a stylus so maybe for the future I can try the canvas. I am going to have to invest in some plates for my big shot. I just haven't ventured into that yet. LOL Thanks everyone! I just love SCS! You all are right there when I need ya!

roseolson 01-28-2010 08:02 PM

FYI...The new dots folder from SU for the Big Shot is what gives you those really deep dots. They are really not expensive and much better than the texture plates.

Tenakee 01-28-2010 08:59 PM

Scoutpup, I checked out your links above. I have to say that I'm truly inspired by the time and love that you give back in your community. I have some things that I would truly love to share with you for you to use in your intern program. If you will PM me with your address, I'll get them on their way to you...

You are a beautiful person. I wish that I could do what you do. But maybe I can help in some other small way...

scoutpup 01-29-2010 05:17 AM

Thanks, Valerie. Your kind words are really nice to hear. My life has truly been blessed by my involvment with the special needs community but I continue to be blessed by the people here on SCS too. When you lift up people, like you have me, YOU, too, are giving to your community. Never discount that either! I believe that we all have different ways of giving and all those ways contribute to the greater good. I feel that different people have different gifts and you have shared one of your gifts today with me. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenakee (Post 16005650)
Scoutpup, I checked out your links above. I have to say that I'm truly inspired by the time and love that you give back in your community. I have some things that I would truly love to share with you for you to use in your intern program. If you will PM me with your address, I'll get them on their way to you...

You are a beautiful person. I wish that I could do what you do. But maybe I can help in some other small way...