Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP! What is the best DCWV size for cards?

I recently read on a post that the smaller sized packs, i.e. 8x8 or 4.5x6.5, are better for card making because the designs are printed on a smaller scale, and therefore are more appropriate for cards. I am looking at the price difference between the 12x12 DCWV packs and the smaller sizes, and I am having a really hard time deciding which to get. For square inches, the 12x12 is a much better value. So, I am hoping that some of you card making veterans can lend me your experience and opinions to convince me that going with the smaller sizes is really the best. And then, which smaller size is preferable, 8x8 or 4.5x6.5?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it really depends on what size cards you like to make. If you make anything 5x5 or bigger you would definately want the 8x8. I always get the 8x8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,057 Likes on 815 Posts

Any that I've seen here, the smaller size has only been cardstock whereas the 8x8 and 12x12 are paper. Is that the same for you? Even if it's not, I'd agree with Michelle that the 8x8 is what I'd go for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the mat stacks (4.5x6.5) for cards just because the pattern is smaller AND there is very little waste. I find often that I don't use the scraps from larger pieces of patterned papers for my cards. I just don't want to have another card that looks the same as one I already made unless I'm making a set or doing a whole bunch up for a craft sale. However, having said that, I really don't have any explanation why I have a whole shelf of 12x12 papers. I don't scrapbook that much to explain it. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Michelle and Sabrina! I just realized that maybe I should clarify something I didn't think about in my original post. I am referring to patterned paper. DCWV patterned paper stacks have such beautiful patterns in such a wide variety. For buying solid colored cardstock, since there is no pattern scale to worry about, the decision will hinge on whether 12x12 is a better value or is storage easier for 8.5x11. For the DCWV pattern packs, I am leaning toward 8x8 because it seems like the pattern scale is smaller than 12x12, and it looks like 4.5x6.5 is the same scale as 8x8 but it is cropped a bit. For instance, the beautiful large ornate circle design in the Taj Mahal pack is a full circle in the 8x8, but is not a full circle in the 4.5x6.5. I welcome anyone else's advice or opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
However, having said that, I really don't have any explanation why I have a whole shelf of 12x12 papers. I don't scrapbook that much to explain it. :oops:
Same here. I have several 12x12 packs. I never got into scrapbooking, but I still felt compelled to buy the beautiful paper. I recently discovered that I do have a passion for stamping and card making, so I guess I was destined for papercrafting all along. Now I just have to alter my paper buying selections to better suite card making, and try to use as much of the 12x12 paper that lends itself to cards as I can. The rest will get made into envelopes, or used for other crafts. My son is now 4, so it won't be much longer before I have to set aside some paper for him to play around with. I'm hoping that he will be as interested in crafting as I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I'm a DCWV junkie lol... so here's what I do. I buy the 12x12 BUT I'm a scrapbooker too. When I want one of there stacks just for cards like hippie chic I use the mat stack size. Its the perfect size that leaves little waste when just doing cards. I have so many stacks I had to put myself on a buying freeze till I use half.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy the 12 x 12 almost exclusively. I do not scrapbook but I can get lots of cards out of one piece depending on how I cut it. I make so many cards that this is a great option for me. I do have lots and lots of the smaller size pads but I dont use them.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm not really a scrapper, so as far as DCWV is concerned, the Mat Stack size is my go-to, especially when I can find them on sale. From the videos i've seen on their new releases (specifically Love Immortal and the Botanicals one), alot of the 12 x 12 paper is a huge scene or something with a large focal point in a corner... i'm not creative enough to chop that up and make it usable in a card scale >.<

So, i stick to the Patterned paper mat stacks... although i'd be amenable to an 8x8 if its a collection I just HAVE to have (of which there are quite a few, I assure you ;-)

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes