Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photo Editing Software

I am so frustrated with Photoshop Elements 11 right now. I've been using PSE for many years but it does this annoying thing periodically. All of a sudden I go to open a picture of a card (an ordinary jpg) and it won't open. This has happened to me twice before and the fix was always holding down Ctrl-Alt-Shift as you open the software and it fixes the issue. Well not tonight. I've done it at least four times and I still can't open the pic. It's so frustrating and I'm about ready to break up with PSE and find new photo editing software.

So I've got two questions: if you use PSE and have had this happen how did you fix it? And, what photo editing software do you use, and does it support adding a watermark?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

well, I have not had that happen to me but, I switched to Lightroom when I had PSE8... (because, you can do everything in lightroom that you would do in PSE but, add the watermark)
so, I have not updated PSE and I after export of the edited photo in Lightroom then open the photo in PSE to drop and drag the watermark on)

Lightroom does has the possibility of using just plain text in a few places to watermark on export but, I have not figured out a way to layer on the fancy ones I had made for me. I'd guess if it can be done there is probably a tutorial out there for it somewhere but, I am fairly lazy and since I "know" without thinking how to just drop and drag it in PSE I have been doing that and until I upgrade computers again I probably will just continue with that one. :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Just for card photos? I used Picasa, which is free and very user-friendly! And you can add your watermark easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picassa is good for doing cards in bulk too. You can do a whole collection of cards at the same time with watermark and/or resize your cards for the internet all at the same time. Its free and very easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use GIMP because it was free, I can easily use the automatic settings to make my photos look better without knowing "how" (LOL) and yes, you can add a watermark. Although, I have yet to figure out who to add mine on my Mac without typing it out every single time, ugh! But I could easily do it on my laptop!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

For those of you using Picasa and GIMP can you layer a watermark image over your card photo or are just adding text over your image?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #7  

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Here is a free photo editing software. I happen to know the developer;-) Easily Create, Paint and Edit Graphic Images with DrawPad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #8  

I used to be able to add the watermark over on my laptop. I can't seem to figure it out on my mac so I use text (annoying) but it WAS possible!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Here is a free photo editing software. I happen to know the developer;-) Easily Create, Paint and Edit Graphic Images with DrawPad
I am in love! I downloaded PhotoPad (as the website indicated it was for touching up photos) and I love it! It does everything that PSE does. Thank you so much for providing the link!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Pic Monkey - free (with optional premiums to buy), easy to use and fun. Lots of options and watermarking is easy breezy.

Just to crop and alter brightness, contrast, saturation, straighten photos, etc., I use Windows Live Photo Gallery editor. It comes up automatically with every photo I open on my laptop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know this info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #12  

You don't say how old the computer is . I have had versions of PSE as old as 2 without crashing issues until now. Finally upgraded to PSE 9and running smoothly with a few minor stall issues. Love this program. If I could recommend a phenomenal class that got me going it's ed.to.go.com by Beverly Schultz. A 10 year old could easily read and follow it. Thinking of taking it again as a refresher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

My computer is only a couple of years old. I'm running Windows 8 64-bit and upgraded to PSE 11 when I got it. I just find it frustrating when software has random performance issues. I go for months using it with everything working fine, then suddenly something like this happens. And since it's happened to me twice I figure it's time to move on. And I've got to say that I've been using PhotoPad for a couple of days now, and I'm just as happy with it as I was with PSE (when it was working, that is). The interface is very similar to PSE so the learning curve is practically non-existent.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a watermark that is already made up and I don't know how to get it on my card photo. Believe it or not, I did it yesterday but I can't for the life of me figure out how I did it. I know it was easy, but I have really bad chemo brain and just don't remember how to do it. Please help, if you can...Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes