Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Am I the only DORK here? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/am-i-only-dork-here-270661/)

malissa32 07-20-2007 01:02 PM

Am I the only DORK here?

Okay, I need to vent! I had the whole day to stamp and I have made ONE card! Am I the only one who obsesses over the right paper, ribbon, stamps and never gets anything completed? I have started 5 different things and decided there was something I didn't like. Then I came to the computer 8 million times (not an exaggeration!) just to see what other people did with that certain stamp set, etc. Am I the only one? Please tell me no!

Malissa

LidaB 07-20-2007 01:03 PM

Oh, no.... You're not the only one. Trust me on this!

halfcrazywth3 07-20-2007 01:07 PM

no your not. I have been obsessing about the same page since 11am this morning. It is now 4pm.

SeeJaneStamp 07-20-2007 01:39 PM

You are definitely not alone.

Ireland 07-20-2007 01:42 PM

How about having set aside a whole day to stamp and never actually stamping???

Spent the whole day (and so many others) just organizing - or worse yet online buying more stuff!! :rolleyes:

It's a sickness....

angelanne21 07-20-2007 01:43 PM

No, you're not alone! It's the reason my gallery is so small!

cbet 07-20-2007 02:07 PM

Oh yeah. Even worse, I don't spend my time organizing - I spend it planning HOW to organize. Lists and lists and diagrams - and everything is still a jumble and the only cards I get done are the ones I have to - for specific occasions or shoebox gatherings.

music1 07-20-2007 02:35 PM

you're NOT the only one!

It frustrates me too! I want everything to be exactly right. I also can't pre-make many cards because I want the card I make to fit the reciever's personality and likes. I'm a perfectionist (and I wish I could change some of that). I also like details and all must coordinate PERFECTLY. So, no-you're not the only one. Sometimes I wonder the same thing!

lynnewithane 07-20-2007 02:50 PM

Count me in too. I obsess. I keep trying to get things perfect, so I look and look and look before I do anything. Now I'm thinking that I should just start. I can always make another one!!!!!

look-inkgood 07-20-2007 03:12 PM

I'm in recovery! I admitted myself into rehab - I forced myself to make odd and mismatched cards until I could relax...LOL!

But I have relaxed a lot. At first, I was worried about wasting paper, etc...
Now I just try lots of stuff. Doing challenges helps me be less uptight. The more cards you make, the less you'll obcess.

cjf&cjfsmommy 07-20-2007 03:45 PM

I'm a dork too! I actually uploaded two cards today (small victory!) but it's because one I started about 3 weeks ago and never finished! I over think the card, spend too much time trying to match my paper & embellies and then go read about a zillion blogs for inspiration!

NancyK. 07-20-2007 03:48 PM

You are only one of a MUCH larger group here that does the same thing!!

Donnarie 07-20-2007 04:11 PM

Hello. My name is Donna, and I am a Dork.

malissa32 07-20-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnarie (Post 6582554)
Hello. My name is Donna, and I am a Dork.

Hi Donne, welcome to the group!!!!!!!!! :-D

Dione 07-20-2007 04:20 PM

Oh I take FOREVER to plan out my ATCs...I fiddle and practice over and over...and maybe a week later I will have a set done! I just put a ton of thought and effort into what I do...and you do the same.

So if that makes us dorks...so be it:)

Barbie 50 07-20-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland (Post 6581100)

Spent the whole day (and so many others) just organizing - or worse yet online buying more stuff!! :rolleyes:

It's a sickness....

Thank goodness Im not the only one this happens to.
I have bought over $300 worth of stuff these past 2 months and I have not even used any of it.

I keep reading posts and getting more stuff.

Since joining SCS I have been a very bad girl! But in a good way :rolleyes:

buggainok 07-20-2007 04:53 PM

You Are The Only One...........NOT!:mrgreen:

FiStevens 07-20-2007 05:05 PM

Please please can I join this club too - I search and search for ideas, get so engrossed in all the beautiful work here, get freaked out, because I can never make anything as nice and spend hours and hours and produce nothing.

grammatroll 07-20-2007 05:16 PM

I wish you were the only one.

lezzels 07-20-2007 05:29 PM

hello lezzels here and I too am a dork !!

lesliespringer 07-20-2007 06:45 PM

Been there....Still there!

pam5 07-20-2007 06:52 PM

I did 2 complete A-Z recipe swaps today and got 3/4 of a third one done. But, now it is crunch time and I have to get them all turned in.
Other than that I made one card a week ago and before that I really can't remember!! But, I did spend $70 on stamp stuff Tuesday!:)

mof118 07-20-2007 06:53 PM

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.....many times!!! :) Do NOT feel alone...

mof118 07-20-2007 06:54 PM

Oh, and I bought more stamps today, too!! LOL

Lyndie 07-20-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland (Post 6581100)

It's a sickness....

I could not agree more!! And--I do it all the time....:rolleyes:

1flourish 07-20-2007 07:01 PM

Details, and Obsessing

A True Confession: I have been a stamper for eight--yes 8 years and still obsess over detail. And, still I get really upset when I plan, thinks it out, do it and find fault ----we are artist and we create...I wonder if Monet felt the same way...what did he see when he look at what we love today. Keep stamping you are part of a great community of obsess-ors.

okstamper 07-20-2007 07:20 PM

OMG! You are not alone on this..It only takes me about 2 hours to a card, sometimes if that..Its so frustrating because I know I can be creative just as I am with my quilting..I do have tons of stuff and ideas, but getting it down on paper is the problem. I do have the whole upstairs to myself to make things with all the collections of stuff I have...I can be up there all day, and still look like I havent done anything..because I keep coming back to the SCS.

keep working at it, and if you need any help..you will sure to find it here.

Bonnie

SouthernStorm 07-20-2007 07:58 PM

Holy Cow! I had no idea there were so many obsessive rubbah dorks!! I've giggled all the way through this thread! My heart goes out to all of you... cuz I'm in the very same boat! I guess that makes us all *Plank Owners*!! There's just way too much fabulous talent on SCS! How on earth can some stampers/scrappers crank out several cards/pages a day??? My DD's scrapbook pages are to die for. When we get together to scrap, I wind up spending most of the time just watching her in awe. She tells me to just get a layout and throw the page together... YEAH, RIGHT!
This afternoon, I made out a list of everything I could think of that could be added to a page other than the pictures. There is SO much! I think reading over it will help me decide what I want on the page rather than forgetting about this and that. My stuff is stuck here and there in two rooms. I'm hoping it'll help ground me when I get it all organized in my big utility room. Yeah, I know.. wishful thinking.. <long sigh> :(

sf9erfan 07-20-2007 09:33 PM

You are NOT alone! I have an entire shoebox full of half torn apart cards that I felt were not good enough. The thought is that I will one day get back to them and tinker again until I like it -yeah right. Sometimes I work on and obsess about a card just about all day only to HATE the results and off to the shoebox it goes! I am pretty good at recycling card parts, so all is not lost -thank heavens otherwise I'd be in the poor house!

This site is definitely a blessing, but one drawback is that we see AMAZING cards and feel like we can never do 1/2 as good. But, like my friend Shirley once told me, the person who you send your card has never seen the SCS galleries and thinks your card is the cat's meow!! LOL!

malissa32 07-21-2007 08:59 AM

Okay, dorks! here is the challenge: in the next 24 hours make a card that you don't overthink. JUST DO IT! Don't spend your time looking at the gallery, just make a card. Maybe it's a layout that you know works for you. Maybe it's a color combo that you go to all the time. But make it and link it here.

malissa32 07-21-2007 09:16 AM

http://iheart2stamp.com/2007/07/21/s...lenge-for-you/

Here is a sketch challenge on a blog I browse if you need a jump start.

jessica.rae.1982 07-21-2007 09:49 AM

Well, you are totally not alone on this one! I spend forever looking at different color combos, then spend forever and a day trying to pick out just the right accessories! It's the worst when I'm in a hurry and really need a card - then nothing looks good enough! My friends tell me I'm obsessive about stuff like that! So if that's what makes a dork, there are a lot more of them around than first thought! Happy Stamping! :)

JessicaLynnMould 07-21-2007 10:10 AM

Amen sister!! I will pull everything out.. and start making a card.. then stop and totally change What i was doing. Sometimes i will have 5-6 versions before i pick the final one!!

Jess

cjf&cjfsmommy 07-21-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malissa32 (Post 6588452)
Okay, dorks! here is the challenge: in the next 24 hours make a card that you don't overthink. JUST DO IT! Don't spend your time looking at the gallery, just make a card. Maybe it's a layout that you know works for you. Maybe it's a color combo that you go to all the time. But make it and link it here.

Fun! Fun! I'm game but I'm going to push the deadline a bit, off to a birthday party for my nephew and we are late! Of course I just made the card! Such is my life!:rolleyes:

Donnarie 07-21-2007 11:57 AM

Wow...I guess I'm first for the Dork challenge! I made this card in about 20 minutes AND I used up some scraps AND I used virgin rubber! Thanks for posting such a brilliant challenge, Malissa!

Amazing Love

greetingsbydebra 07-21-2007 02:08 PM

Count me in as a member of the dork club. I can agonize over a card for hours. Then I look at it and it *looks* like it took 15 minutes.

stampinupsunshine 07-21-2007 02:22 PM

Um no... You are not alone by any means.. I have serious ocd with stampin and card making if its off or not perfect here i go again!!! i run back and forth from the computer to my stamp room to especially when i get stampers block! lol! ;)

franb63 07-21-2007 03:40 PM

Ok Ok, I want to know will we have a President Dork? or do ALL of us members just be classified as stampy dorky's ??

Everyone who has done this can laugh now even harder knowing that we allllllll take the time to run back and forth to SCS with the :confused: look, at least a dozen times or more.. to agonize that it is not "perfect"... to toss aside what we consider "yucky" and wont feel silly any longer or even ashamed we spent 45 hours to make a 10 minute card.. LOL

I agree with all who said when you come on here you see this card.. that card.. and think OMG I could never turn out a card as fantabulous as that one.. then when we send our measely little card to an unknown of SCS and they oooh ahhhh over it and you are standing there thinking..:oops: thanks but well so and so did it better.... cuz you just cased it ;).. you just sort of smile and keep that teeny tiny little tidbit to yourself.. and look like the cat who just ate that canary!

malissa32 07-21-2007 04:09 PM

Soo funny! :) My mom was jaleous of my creations the other day and I had to tell her that I get all my ideas and inspiration off of SCS. Now to get her on the internet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63 (Post 6590629)
Ok Ok, I want to know will we have a President Dork? or do ALL of us members just be classified as stampy dorky's ??

Everyone who has done this can laugh now even harder knowing that we allllllll take the time to run back and forth to SCS with the :confused: look, at least a dozen times or more.. to agonize that it is not "perfect"... to toss aside what we consider "yucky" and wont feel silly any longer or even ashamed we spent 45 hours to make a 10 minute card.. LOL

I agree with all who said when you come on here you see this card.. that card.. and think OMG I could never turn out a card as fantabulous as that one.. then when we send our measely little card to an unknown of SCS and they oooh ahhhh over it and you are standing there thinking..:oops: thanks but well so and so did it better.... cuz you just cased it ;).. you just sort of smile and keep that teeny tiny little tidbit to yourself.. and look like the cat who just ate that canary!

malissa32 07-21-2007 05:13 PM

Okay, here is my non-obsessed over card. I kept repeating- it's only paper, it's only paper. I would cut something and force myself to glue it right then, not giving myself the chance to change it. I will admit that I did watch Val Stangle's bow tying video for the thousandth time to get my bow right. Baby steps! This was my first time using my brand new Cuttlebug. Love that textile folder!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=87938