Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Altering Painted items

I just found the cutest little hanging spice rack at the thrift store for a whopping 50 cents! I want to alter it and use it in my stamp room for bottles of embossing powder and/or reinkers - they fit perfectly. It's one of those wooden ones with a metal eagle as a decoration (the eagle is going to fly away). I'm either going to cover the front of the rack with paper and leave the sides painted or the other idea I had was to paint and then use chalk ink to stamp an image on it. My question is if I use chalk ink should I use flat paint and then after stamping cover it all with a clear finish? Do I need to use flat paint if I am going to stamp with chalk ink? Will the chalk ink stick to a glossy surface? Would it be better to just use paint to stamp with?

I'll take a before picture and post when I get a chance. I think this is going to be a fun little project.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I would think that the chalk ink would stick to about anything but I bet that it will take a longer time to dry on a glossy surface. Can you do a little test swatch to see? I would almost suggest stamping on matte paint and then using a glossy clearcoat to make it all shiney!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

good luck I painted some of these for my DD to use in their bathroom for nail polish! it was so cute I did one for me to! I even found one with tiny drawers underneath that they put misc things in! Post your creation when you are done, I may need to redo ours!
Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbech
good luck I painted some of these for my DD to use in their bathroom for nail polish! it was so cute I did one for me to! I even found one with tiny drawers underneath that they put misc things in! Post your creation when you are done, I may need to redo ours!
Did you happen to post pictures of yours? I would love to see them for inspiration. I'm not quite sure what route I want to take on this. I definitely will post pictures of before and after. Hope it looks better after I have my way with it - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I just painted the ones for us.......I never thought about altering them..........that is until now
Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
Reply With Quote Likes