Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercoloring w/Blender Pens?

Does anyone have experience with "watercoloring" with a blender pen? I'm thinking it would work better on WW or VV paper.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

If I'm using dye ink I prefer it over water brushes. It allows me to start heavy and lighten up as the pen runs out of the ink, I feel like I have way more control with the blender pens. But I always did it on water colour paper because it gives you the time you need to move the ink around. Regular CS absorbs the ink and doesn't move as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! I'm just trying to save myself some aggravation. I have 60 invitations to do for a baby shower and didn't want to waste time and cardstock. I am going to try the crayons as well as SU's pastels to see which might be quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

They work well for me with WC crayons and inks as well as pastels. I have used both papers. Water Color paper really works nicely (no pilling...) but the other will work well too. Have fun..That is some project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't had good experiences with regular cardstock...the paper gets too wet and starts to break down. Watercolor paper works nicely. I usually keep a paper towel on the desk top when watercoloring. I will tap my brush tip on it to keep it from getting too wet.

More often than not, I use the ink from the lid of an ink pad...you know, where you squeeze the pad top and bottom before you open it. That way you get a deposit of ink on the lid. What's great about watercoloring is that you can always add more color. I like to start light and fill in...but that's just me. I also will go over areas with watercolor pencils. Don't be afraid to mix it up. Do what works best for you. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that using the blender pen to watercolor works best if the image you're coloring isn't too big. For larger areas I feel the Aquapainter works better as it seems that it holds more color then the blender pen. I've used SU Whisper White & Very Vanilla with good results as long as you don't keep going over the same area a lot then it will pill. But if you're heavy handed the watercolor paper might be a good idea.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

60 invitations is a lot, why not use colored pencils?

BTW, if you're going to work with a blender pen (no matter what type of ink you use) get at least 140# cold press watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Why use a blender pen? Why not consider an Aquabrush - you get a true watercolor effect whereas a blender pen is more blended. If you try an AB get a good quality like those sold by SU - the cheaper versions clog and the brushes are not as good. Also with 60 invitations you will go through a couple of blender pens or may need to refill them.

Definately use watercolor paper - regular cardstock will pill and it doesn't give you enough time to blend the water color medium that you get with watercolor paper.

If you are not experienced watercolor in watercolor you might want to consider the Gamsol Magic technique. You get a watercolor effect with little practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

Recently I was discouraged using the watercolor pencils, but I tried using it with a prismacolor blending marker, and am much happier with that technique. I saw it on a website talking about using a copic blender marker with watercolor pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I use a blender pen with watercolor pencils on SU Whisper White quite often. I haven't had any problems unless I go over an area too often. Since you have to clean off the tip of the blender pen each time you move from one color to the next, you might want to "assembly line" the cards and do one color at a time so you're not cleaning the tip several times on each card.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartsongsView Post
Does anyone have experience with "watercoloring" with a blender pen? I'm thinking it would work better on WW or VV paper.
I often do watercolouring with a water pen and distress inks....refer to my gallery! It is quick and so easy. I just put some of the ink onto my acrylic block and use the water pen to pick up the colours. You can also scribble on you block with water based markers.
Just a few suggestions....I use a heavy weight paper and go over the area to be coloured first with a bit of water then apply the ink. Dab your pen onto a paper towel when you want to change colours.

I have used a blender pen with this tech. too but you have to watch you don't rub off the paper which it will do if it gets too wet. I also find I can get better colour variations when I use the water pen instead of the blender pen...just my experience...
you can really see the colour on my card here:
FS238, Casing Lydia by k dunbrook at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes