Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What are your favorite types of challenges?
Sketch 68 66.67%
Inspiration Picture 27 26.47%
Theme 18 17.65%
Recipe/Supply 11 10.78%
Technique 33 32.35%
Color 44 43.14%
Other (please comment on what type of other) 4 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does or doesn't Challenge you?

I love participating in challenges for lots of reasons. Since they're growing in popularity all over tarnation - I thought I might write an article about them. Best practices for challenge sites, pros and cons of participating . . .

What I need to know from you folks, is:

If you don't participate in challenges, why not?

If you do participate in them, what challenges do you participate in and why? What is it about a challenge that makes you want to participate?

I'll prime the pump. I participate for about every reason under the sun:

- It helps prime my mojo. I just can't seem to start a project without some suggestion, like a sketch.
- Prizes are cool if I win.
- It drives more traffic and comments to my blog.

Your feedback will help me write my article but also help me with the blog challenge I run, the Catered Crop Recipe Challenge.

So . . . what's your deterrent or motivation? Inquiring minds want to know.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I participate in challenges for a variety of different reasons, there are also some challenges that I stay away from.. Here are my reasons:

I participate in challenges:
- at SCS. I like most of the challenges here because they are organized, easy to find, and there's a good variety.
- if I own stamps from the company hosting the challenge. If I like and patronize the company often and they have a blog with challenges, I will play along because it challenges me to use my stamps!
- for some DT reasons. A couple of my DT have requirements to participate in challenges here at SCS and I am happy to do it. Again, it challenges me to use my new stamps in new an interesting ways, and it's publicity/advertising for the companies.

I DON'T participate in challenges that:
- are hosted by stamp companies that I have not purchased from.
- are hard to find. (Like Two peas... Their challenges are mixed up amongst the general chat forums and they're hard to find, and kind of unorganized. I would participate more if they had a challenge forum!)
- are run by smaller companies/kit clubs.

I don't have time to do a lot of challenges, so I am somewhat scrutinizing. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I participate in challenges here at SplitCoast, at Moxie Fab World (sporadically), and some challenge blogs.

I really like sketch challenges (and create the sketches for Bombshell Stamps). Sketches are templates that make the design work much easier. Plus, they're fun to adapt to suit.

I also love supply challenges because they force me to use up my stash, especially the stuff that I "had to have", but don't use often (buttons, eyelets, metals, etc.)

Technique challenges can be fun if the challenge causes you to try a technique new to you or revisit an old one.

Color challenges are great to make you try different color combinations.

Themed challenges can be fun too!

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to make two "Challenge Jars". One jar will contain strips of papers with the names of stamp companies in my collection. The other jar will contain strips of papers with techniques that I want to try or revisit, color combos, supplies to use, etc. When I'm lacking mojo, I will choose a strip from each jar and have at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't participate in a lot of challenges. I have my own on my blog (a challenge I share on alternating weeks with Jennifer Styles) and I try to do the CAS challenge here (I helped get it started with Miss Boo). One of my crafting resolutions is to do more challenges, including the Speedy the Cat challenge at Mark's Finest (I'm on their DT right now).

Challenges are great because they sort of force you to stretch your creative wings and do things outside your comfort zone. Some of the best cards I've made would never have happened except for a challenge.

But I have crafter's ADD...too many challenges would overwhelm me. I am in awe of those who do all the weekly challenges here at SCS and other places too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Oh wow. This is great, great feedback, and reasons for participating or not participating that I hadn't thought of.

I'm with you - I don't participate in challenges who require you to use their stamps if I don't have their stamps. I don't need a reason to add to my stash.

I have a confession - Most of the time when I do theme challenges, it's because I already have a card in mind and my card fits their theme. Same with the recipe challenges, although I might add an extra ingredient or two just to make my card comply with the challenge. It's the challenges with sketches and inspiration pictures that really help me with my design.

So, do you make your card specifically for a challenge or two, or do you participate in the challenge because your card already complies or can be easily adapted to comply. Confession time. ;) (And, by the way, for my challenge. I don't care, I'm just happy to see the entries.)

Jazzytobi and KathiR, I checked out your blogs and your art is freakin' amazing. Love the idea of the two jars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Right now I only participate in two different challenges and that's because I'm on the DT for the stamp companies that sponsor them. I am going to try to participate in more challenges this year here on SCS. I'm going to start off with theme & sketch challenges to see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I like color and sketch challenges, but I don't do techniques, and inspiration challenges are not my cup of tea.
I am also more likely to complete a challenge if it does not have a weekly deadline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,097 Likes on 840 Posts

Can I stick my neck out and say what I don't like.
I know we're all short of time, but when I see a card entered for more than three or four challenges I can't help feeling that they didn't really make it for that challenge, they just found a challenge that the card fitted. Caardvarks used to ask that you not have your card submitted for more than something like 3 challenges and to me that's fair enough. But I've seen cards with a list saying this card has been entered for a whole shopping list of challenges - not quite from a-z, but certainly from a-m. I suppose that's a partial reply to your question in post 5.
Me personally, I make my cards specifically for one or two challenges. I might combine one of the SCS daily ones with something else off site, and anything Christmassy goes towards my CCC11 goal.
Again in response to post #5, I wouldn't enter a card that I'd already made, although I might tweak one that was currently in progress on my desk. Even if it fits all the criteria, if I didn't make it for the challenge, then I didn't make it for the challenge. That's just me . It's the same with the photo challenge - I could easily pull something from my archives, but the point of the challenges is to get you creating / out taking pictures.
What I like, but I understand it's not practical - winning something by public vote or at least selection and not just random.org. Random.org you just feel lucky and happy, voting and you really feel you've achieved something and it gives you a whole extra dimension of warm fuzzies. But I know that's not often practical.
Why do I participate - on SCS just for the fun of being part of the challenge community and to keep me stimulated and challenged. Company blog challenges - I love the chance of winning something, but I'll only participate if it's actually something I'd like to win. And I don't like making a card or project that is no use to me, so I'll be passing on all the Valentine themes around for the next while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep saying every year, that I'll try the Tim Holtz Christmas tags challenge...I will make 1, but I never get any farther than that. I do love the looks, so I would probably be better off working on them in the off season, when I'm not so busy during the actual Christmas season!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Sketch challenges are #1, it is my spring board to create. I usually do the sketch challenge here at SCS. I like challenges that are easy to find, So my top sites are SCS, Stamp TV, ODB, & Speedy's Friends.
I agree with Sabrina about people doing one card for one challenge and they entered for more than three or four challenges. which I am guilty of myself. If I do embossing and see challenges for embossing I just add those to my challenge. There is only so many hours in the day so I am selective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Can I stick my neck out and say what I don't like.
I know we're all short of time, but when I see a card entered for more than three or four challenges I can't help feeling that they didn't really make it for that challenge, they just found a challenge that the card fitted. Caardvarks used to ask that you not have your card submitted for more than something like 3 challenges and to me that's fair enough. But I've seen cards with a list saying this card has been entered for a whole shopping list of challenges - not quite from a-z, but certainly from a-m. I suppose that's a partial reply to your question in post 5.
Boy, I know what you mean. I do apply for several challenges at a time, but I've seen some that list like a dozen. When I was on a design team that had to comment on challenge entries, honestly, I kind of resented having to comment on those.

That said, there's actually a challenge for how many challenges you can enter. I know, crazy, right? But, it's fun, and as someone who has a challenge site now, I appreciate their efforts to support the challenges. It's called Pile It On. Here's what they say: "The theory behind Pile It On! is to create cards, scrapbook pages or even altered items using MORE THAN ONE challenge! We have found it to be a challenge to see how many challenges we could get into one project."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I'm loving! all this great feedback. Keep it coming. I added a poll so you can tell us what your favorite type of challenge is. Who knew there were so many types! Did I leave any out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Well, I voted technique and recipe.
It's one thing to do the Pile it On challenge, but I've seen cards submitted for challenges for which they were ineligible, if the poster had actually read the challenge guidelines ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Ditto on what Sabrina said about the multi-challenge-one-card thing ... turns me a little off ...

now about challenges : I participate in what I want, when I want, where I want. No specific challenges as regular week-in-week-out ones. I like to play with SCS's sketch and colour challenges as well as a myriad of other places. I'm on three different challenge DT's and I LOVE each one of them especially the freedom to use whatever I feel like using and generally its SU!

Here's the other challenges I play with most frequently:
DT member for Creative Crew (here on SCS)
DT member for ColourQ
DT member for Inkspirations
2 Sketches 4 You
Moxie Fab/Tuesday Trigger
SCS Sketch
Just Add Ink

here's a few I play with occasionally:
SCS Colour
Follow the Recipe (thanks for the heads up on your challenge, Linda!)
Mojo Monday
Mercy's Sketches (it's too bad she isn't doing them anymore :( )

The challenge has to grab me before I play ... and time has to be available too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I like all kinds of different challenges.
I think my least favorite are inspiration pictures and very general themes.

I love combining challenges like a sketch with a color combination and stuff like that because it takes a lot of the thinking out of it if some elements are already decided.

I like participating in challenges because they do often challenge me to try things I wouldn't otherwise (a wierd looking sketch, colors I don't like, new techniques, etc). Often, when pushed to try these things, my creativity grows and I find something new that I like!

I also like seeing what other people create for a challenge - to see the different ideas people have that all came from the same starting point. It's a great way to get ideas!

Part of my reason for participating in challenges is also because more people tend to look at your card if its in a specific category and you get more comments on it.

Over the years I have really found that challenges have REALLY helped me to grow as a crafter!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I always make a card FROM SCRATCH for a challenge or challenges. If I have 3 challenges listed it's because I consciously created the card with three challenges in mind. I like combining them because sometimes you can surprise yourself with what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I've found that participating in challenges has also helped me grow as a crafter. It has pushed me to try new techniques, dust off some supplies in my stash, and produce gift items.

I generally try to combine challenges when I can. Whatever I make, I try to directly tie it into each of the challenge requirements. I think the most I've managed to combine is 4.

I also lack the time to look up all of the challenges that are out there. For example, this week, a LOT of challenges center around using something new or something new + something old. I just don't have the time to find them, post the entry, and then remember all of the sites to go back and check the results.

Personally, I really like sketch challenges the best. I generally like inspiration photos, but sometimes, the photo just is not at all inspiring to me whether it's the colors or the actual objects in the picture, or by the time I've figured out what I'd do with it, I don't have time to meet the deadline. I also enter challenges sponsored by specific companies when I have their stamps to use.

One thing that I've noticed is that sometimes the entry deadline time posted in an online challenge (not SCS) is not corresponding to the linky tools. For example, I had a challenge entry ready to upload with what I thought should have been 90 minutes to spare, and the link had already closed (yes, I did check the time zone difference, and the linky tool was early in closing). So I've learned the hard way to post as early as possible.

I also appreciate the comments that I get from my challenge entries. I've met some great people as a result! :p

Just my two cents!

I enjoyed reading what the rest of you have shared, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly haven't participated in many challenges. I don't like challenges with a small window of time to complete, like 2 hours. I don't do most challenges because I'm not that confident in my own creating-case in point-I've uploaded exactly two cards in the gallery where one card got 2 comments, the other card I posted the comment myself to explain something. LOL! I can scraplift others work pretty well even when I don't have the same exact ingredients, but ideas out of my own head...hahaha!I do like a sketch challenge-that's probably my favorite kind of challenge. I generally use sketches for my creating 90% of the time anyway, but I do tweak it to fit my style or what I have on hand. Color challenges are fun too. I'm not stimulated much by techniques because most of the time I scrap clean and simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 609 Likes on 249 Posts

I try to do the Color Challenge every week and I look forward to Virtual Scrappin' challenges (some of those have REALLY challenged me!). Challenges are a great way to get out some stuff and be creative.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

i have 2 part time jobs. when i have the time i love to do the challenges here on scs. during the summer when i have only one job, i was proud of myself when i did the challenges for the whole week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before I make a card I usually check out sketch challenge blogs, they usually give me an idea how to get started. Since most of the cards I made are for the challenge blogs I design for (digital tuesday and stamp something mostly), I follow that theme along with the sketch that I liked, I also check out other challenges on by blog's sidebar and see what else I can combine into my card.

My favorite challenges are sketch (but only play if I like the sketch), followed by recipe and theme challenges. Oh, and I used to really enjoy the technique lovers challenge on mondays, somehow I quit doing it, maybe I should start again...

I don't really like color challenges because I only use the colors that I like and I have lost track of all of the new colors that SU has now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to add, I am also guilty sometimes (if I like the prize) of entering my newly made card to other challenges that it fits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #23  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My name is Holly and I am a challenge junkie. No seriously... when I first started stamping and was introduced to SCS, I found the challenges because of those funny letter/number combos in everyone's gallery posts. I think I played every challenge for like three years. I then started chatting with a group who called themselves the Challenge Chasers.... mostly because the challenges back then were posted in the AM and we would drink coffee and chat while we waited for them to be posted.

Now I host the Technique Lovers Challenge here. But, in the spirit of true honesty, I had to vote for Inspiration. I love all the challenges, but the inspiration pieces speak to me and they give me the freedom to interpret the piece however I want or feel at the time.

I occasionally play challenges off site, but not very often. I am probably a SCS snob..lol. I love this site and will support it always.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #24  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Before I make a card I usually check out sketch challenge blogs, they usually give me an idea how to get started. Since most of the cards I made are for the challenge blogs I design for (digital tuesday and stamp something mostly), I follow that theme along with the sketch that I liked, I also check out other challenges on by blog's sidebar and see what else I can combine into my card.

My favorite challenges are sketch (but only play if I like the sketch), followed by recipe and theme challenges. Oh, and I used to really enjoy the technique lovers challenge on mondays, somehow I quit doing it, maybe I should start again...

I don't really like color challenges because I only use the colors that I like and I have lost track of all of the new colors that SU has now.
Yes, yes you should ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I participate in challenges, though not as often as I'd like. The reason I am not participating as much as I'd like is my own fault - I follow too darned many blogs and I can't keep up!

I love challenges because it gives me a place to start in making a card. Also, posting cards and layouts I've made in response to challenges brings traffic to my blog, and I am all about that right now. I am in LOVE with blogging. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I do.

When I don't participate it's due to either a lack of time or a lack of inspiration. Some challenges - be it certain techniques or an inspiration challenge or a colour challenge - just don't capture my interest. I don't want to invest hours pondering, say, what stamp set fits with the challenge. If an idea doesn't come to me within 15 mins or so, I'm moving on.

I tend to participate in sketch challenges ro themed challenges. For example, I participated in a challenge that was to 'do a project that represents a New Year's Resolution." Easy... I want to start my Christmas cards early. So I made a few and posted them. Inspiration challenges, for me, have to be broad enough, and concrete enough, that I can think of something - for example, 'Colours of the Season.'

I do not do challenges just for the sake of doing them. If there is a St. Patrick's Day themed card challenge, for example, I won't be doing it. I don't celebrate it. Now, if the theme were broad enough that I could tie it into a birthday card - say, a card for my friend's dd whose birthday is actually Canada Day - I would do that. But I'm not doing a 'Happy Canada Day' card, because it would be a waste of time and supplies.

I am not one for time consuming techniques, either. I am compiling a list of past technique challenges, and there are some I just skip because they're too much work for me.

OP, I love the Catered Crop Recipe Challenge. Haven't participated yet due to lack of time, and a bit of confusion re: what we are to do... like, if you use Basic Grey pp on a card, to follow the recipe do I need to use Basic Grey (albeit maybe a different BG line) to be able to include that item, or is it just 'patterned paper?'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

When I need to jump-start my creativity a good inspiration challenge--based a fab photo, fun theme, or an interesting card--is sure to get me motivated to create something of my own. Something in them sparks for me and I start sketching immediately. For that same reason, I rarely play along with sketch challenges. Unless they're incredibly simple, I waste precious creative energy trying to make a complex or unbalanced sketch work for my style. Fastest way to kill a crafting buzz ever.

When I'm in a groove, I reach for color inspiration, techniques, and limited supply challenges. And the rare simple sketch. I play along with these kinds of challenges a little less frequently because I'm not always ready for them. I would love to be "on" all the time, but with the modern lives we lead, that's difficult to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely feel like a lone voice in the wilderness here - but you said you wanted feedback from those who DON'T participate in challenges, too.

You've made me think about why I've never participated in a challenge, and why they don't appeal to me. I probably have a case of arrested development, even though I'm now a grandmother. Part of me must still be a rebellious toddler, saying no, no, no! I want to do it my way!

Kind of kidding, but I am not drawn to structured activities of any kind. I much prefer to learn things on my own, at my own pace, than to attend a class. When I first started papercrafting, I went to a class at a local LSS, and quickly decided classes in paper were not my cup of tea.

I much prefer to come here, click on topics that interest me, and then expand my knowledge from there.

And also, probably a factor is that I am basically not a competitive personality. Never have been. As a child, I didn't care for competitive games, sports or otherwise. I could enjoy the process, but I didn't relate to all the hoopla about "winning or losing." It always seemed that people got so serious about it that it was not fun anymore.

So to the OP, thanks for challenging me today to do some thinking about why I don't participate in challenges. It's always so interesting to me that this hobby can spark these kinds of discussions about human nature in general.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I am pretty sporadic in my challenge participation. Probably the ones I participate in the most are the Copic challenges because I color and it challenges me to try new things (techniques or colors I don't always use). I also participate in specific companies like Flourishes, Bombshell Stamps, etc... because of the images. I will participate in an SCS challenge here occasionally, and I did a VSN once which was really fun.

Of the ones here, I usually don't do the new technique one, although I have done a couple that appealed. Typically, if I do one... I will do one of the CAS ones, or a sketch challenge. I RARELY do the things like inspiration challenges. The color ones on SCS I have a really hard time with because they use names of paper that I have NO CLUE sometimes what the actual color is (I use Bazzill, not SU). I might tend to do some if there was a color swatch attached. Ways to Use it are ones I occasionally do as well.

Basically it comes down to the challenge. If I look at it and say to myself "Hmmmmm that sounds interesting" then I might do it. If I look at it and shrug and think "eh, whatever" then I don't do it. If I am struggling with a theme or a card or a sketch, then I don't worry about it. I work out of the house, have daughters with activities, and their own stress, and don't need to stress myself out on something that is supposed to be part of my relaxation time.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I definitely feel like a lone voice in the wilderness here - but you said you wanted feedback from those who DON'T participate in challenges, too.
Buggainok - Love your signature - that's one of my favorite quotes, too. I love, love your perspective. One thing you can count on for Splitcoast is a variety of opinions and perspectives. I'm glad I offered you a soul searching opportunity. ;) and your valid points gave me a few, too. I am definitely competitive, which i don't necessarily consider a virtue, so I have to work to keep it in check. Thanks for participating in the conversation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Great thread!

I enter different types of Challenges so it keeps my mojo sparked. Sketch Challenges are probably the most difficult for me to do if there are lots of layers that are sitting at different angles (I'm not good with putting things at an angle - I like things to look square IYKWIM). If it is a simple sketch, I LOVE it!!

I love themed challenges eg: using scallops, which makes me think of how many different ways I can use scallops on my card. I love Occasion Themes, eg: Valentines, Male Birthday, because you get to see so many different types of cards that other people make = tons of inspiration.
I like to do Challenges for some of my favourite stamp companies because, again, I get so much inspiration from seeing what other people create from that company's stamps.

When I enter a Challenge outside of SCS, I prefer that the prizes are offered to a "random" entrant so that everyone has an equal chance whether they are just making their first card or a seasoned cardmaker.

I really enjoy the CAS Challenges here on SCS which really make me get back to the basics. These challenges have been teaching me all about balance and symmetry - but I do struggle when it's a CAS Sketch. I guess that's why it's called a "Challenge" LOL! I do try and see if I can do it but often it just doesn't seem to work for me for the most part :confused:!! I have no idea why not.

Inspiration challengs are difficult for me too - not really my thing unless it is a simple picture of a white jug with a red heart. A complicated picture seems to overwhelm my brain and I usually can't think of a single "inspirational" idea of what I could possibly do for a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
My name is Holly and I am a challenge junkie. No seriously... when I first started stamping and was introduced to SCS, I found the challenges because of those funny letter/number combos in everyone's gallery posts. I think I played every challenge for like three years. I then started chatting with a group who called themselves the Challenge Chasers.... mostly because the challenges back then were posted in the AM and we would drink coffee and chat while we waited for them to be posted.

Now I host the Technique Lovers Challenge here. But, in the spirit of true honesty, I had to vote for Inspiration. I love all the challenges, but the inspiration pieces speak to me and they give me the freedom to interpret the piece however I want or feel at the time.

I occasionally play challenges off site, but not very often. I am probably a SCS snob..lol. I love this site and will support it always.
Oh....... the good old days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Gosh, this is an interesting topic! I LOVE challenges. I am a relatively new blogger and participating in challenges gets me traffic and followers. It also works the other way around: I love looking at the entries and visiting participant's blogs.

My votes are for sketches,but only if I like it: I love symmetry, and some sketches just don't look right to me. I won't use it and will pass on it that week.

My next vote is for themes/occasions..I can combine these with sketches.

The next is inspiration: Sometimes I'll look at a picture and SNAP! I know what I'm going to do: If not, I don't participate

I do like Supply/recipe challenges. There aren't enough out there.

I don't usually do technique challenges unless I have the supplies.

I don't participate in challenges where you have to use a certain stamp or supply unless I have it on hand: I WILL NOT buy a brand of stamps or supplies just to do a challenge.

The least favorite is the color challenges UNLESS it is 3 colors or less. It's just too hard to find papers that match the challenges.

Any challenge that I find too difficult or have to jump through hoops I skip.

I like to combine challenges, however I think the most I have managed is 6. Some cards just coincidentally match up with a challenge I may not have created the card for.Some challenges may have the same theme or anything goes, May as well enter them and try to win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I voted for Technique and Inspiration pieces...
do i play in all the challenges (no) the reason is simple,
a lot of the time the things i create just to fit a challenge end up being my most disliked pieces... ( so it amuses me these get so many comments)

It's much more fun to just go play.
I do look at the challenges here and at stamp tv when i have free time but, my brain usually twist's what i read or seen before i get around to it so sometimes when i do attempt a challenge it was more of an inspiration then an follow the rules piece when its done.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #34  

I voted for Inspiration Picture and Theme. I do, on occasion participate in sketch or colour challenges, but I find that I'm trying to work my card to fit the challenge, rather than creating for the joy of it. I love challenges based on pictures or themes because it's more about the inspiration behind it than tweaking the card. I can really let me creativity flow. I find I do my best work with those.

I too get really annoyed when I see someone has entered a single card into 12-15 challenges, especially when they win the prize for the challenge I entered! I try to keep it to two or three challenges per card, if I'm going to enter more than one challenge at a time.

I enter challenges for a few reasons. I, of course, want traffic for my blog. It's new, and not well known and since I'd like to get on a Design Team someday, I'll need some more traffic. But I enter the challenges more because I like what it does to my creative process. I really challenge myself and feel like I really create my best work when it's for a challenge.

The types of challenges I enter are usually ones from the online stores I buy from. They often have a prize (though I've never won) which is always fun to shoot for! I'm just starting to get into the challenges here at SCS.
Digital Scrapbooking Challenges are back! Digi Scrapping Challenge Team

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working." Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Forgot to add, I am also guilty sometimes (if I like the prize) of entering my newly made card to other challenges that it fits.
Hee Hee . . . so I'm not alone. I also don't do a lot of color challenges because I don't keep up with the SU colors any more, but I will grab colors from an inspiration picture and use those. Love, love the Cupcake Inspiration challenge for the yummy pictures and colors ('cept they make me hungry).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #36  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'm back again ;D.
I agree with post #32, there aren't as many supply /recipe challenges as others, and I like them.
Bugga's post was interesting reading. I certainly don't find the on-site challenges competitive, more a case of provoking me to move outside my comfort zone, often.
After thinking again during the wakeful hours over two nights about the multiple entries, and wondering whether to post here or PM you, I can't help feeling that a card entered for 50 challenges or more actually devalues the challenges - speaking for myself if nobody else. I was evidently severely underestimating when I said challenges a-m in an earlier post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
I voted for Inspiration Picture and Theme. I do, on occasion participate in sketch or colour challenges, but I find that I'm trying to work my card to fit the challenge, rather than creating for the joy of it. I love challenges based on pictures or themes because it's more about the inspiration behind it than tweaking the card. I can really let me creativity flow. I find I do my best work with those.

Yes, This. If I feel like the sketch is holding me back, I quit and won't do it. I'm finding more and more that the cards I come up with out of pure inspiration are the ones I'm more satisfied with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

What an interesting thread. I have never participated in a challenge for a couple of reasons. I'm not all that competitive and there is so much greater talent out there that I feel anything I could make would never even come close. Second, I don't scrapbook and I make cards only when I have to. Now, if there 3D challenges, I'd be all over them like a fat kid on a smartie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #39  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

My favorite SCS challenge is Saturday's Inspiration Challenge -- it makes you think a little outside the box. I don't often combine challenges, although I may use the sketch challenge (my second favorite) as the starting point for another one. As I work full-time, I don't do every challenge during the week -- though I would like to do so.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
....I enter challenges for a few reasons. I, of course, want traffic for my blog. It's new, and not well known and since I'd like to get on a Design Team someday, I'll need some more traffic. But I enter the challenges more because I like what it does to my creative process. I really challenge myself and feel like I really create my best work when it's for a challenge......
I also enter Challenges to get traffic for my Blog which I started during last year. I have gained some new Followers and discovered lots of other Blogs from the process. But I only usually enter at the most 3 challenges - usually less - at a time - and then not for every card I make. It takes up too much time to check around to see what all the Challenge Blogs "themes" etc. are when I could be using that time to make a card!!
Reply With Quote Likes