Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   For all of you that are unmounting (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/all-you-unmounting-528660/)

franb63 05-20-2011 04:33 AM

For all of you that are unmounting

This morning I found this on youtube. I SO wish I had seen this before I unmounted everything.. I LOVE this technique

YouTube - ‪Convert Wood-Mounted Stamps to Clear-Mount‬‏

I hope this helps someone who is considering the unmount process. I unmounted mine, but they are all bare rubba .. Had I seen this tho, I would have gone this route FO SHO

kphorse 05-20-2011 05:52 AM

Very slick! Thanks for sharing...

NYTripletMommy 05-20-2011 07:57 AM

Love it!!

MSBetsyZ 05-20-2011 09:12 AM

This is what I've done for years, except for the added glue. I use a product called Tack 'n Peel to make my blocks sticky. That way I'm only doing that process once, not for every single stamp I unmount. The TnP is a clear, slightly padded repositionable adhesive film. The sticky is enough to hold stamps in place but not keep them stuck forever...

I know, I'm just lazy, lol...but I'm much happier not having to futz so much with preparing my stamps.

true-2-you 05-20-2011 09:28 AM

Thanks soooo much for sharing! I have been meaning to unmount mine for quite some time! Now I know the best way to do it! :)

Cartermrc 05-20-2011 11:50 AM

This is exactly how I do it too. You can also use Tombo glue on the sticker if you don't have the Alene's glue.
One thing I noticed with both glues is that my blocks can get a bit sticky so I occasionally need to wash them.

mommyto3 05-22-2011 04:50 PM

Thank you so much for sharing! I am so going to do this! I'm a new stamper (less than a year) but I have spent thousands on stampin' up products already :rolleyes: but I love the clear mount stamps soooo much more than the wooden block mounted. My demonstrator really pushes the wooden stamps, and since she has stamped for years and years I deferred to her recommendation. I have since found that I favor clear mount hands down. I would love to unmount the wooden stamps I have, and to know that I can do that AND have the picture remain in tact as well!! This is so great, it's like having all new stamps without spending a ton of money!

I just sent my paperwork in to become a demonstrator, and the first thing on my first order will be the dvd cases!

Thanks again!!

sewflake 05-22-2011 06:34 PM

This looks like what I could do with all of my sets that I have been wanting to unmount but did not want to spend the time adding the cling foam. I CAN paint!!! I am getting excited about this method and ready to start unmounting!!

sewflake 05-22-2011 06:35 PM

Oh and {{THANK YOU}} for finding this and sharing the link!!

klpt58 05-22-2011 07:31 PM

This is how I do mine. I love it. Easy to do and easy to use. Probably decreases the value of the stamps but I don't ever plan to sell. My DH would probably throw them away if something happen to me because he doesn't have a clue how much money is invested in them and I think I will keep it that way! LOL
Kathy T

FiStevens 05-23-2011 03:05 AM

Can anyone tell me what the voltage of the X-acto hot knife is? Most products sold in USA are 110v, but the rest of the world mainly has 240v. I would really like to get one of these, but can only use if is 110-240v. Thanks in advance for you help.

SJh2oski 05-23-2011 05:25 AM

This is how I have unmounted all of my sets except most are in CD cases unless the sets were too large to fit in a CD case. I prefer my sets be stored separately as I store them in alphabetical order & 2 to a case would throw that off! I love, love this method!

Harley Queen 05-23-2011 09:17 PM

Great video. That's pretty much how I've unmounted mine with a couple of minor modifications.
  • If there's not enough "stick" left after peeling the stam and the sticker, I use a bit of Aileens quick dry glue and add that. I just spread it with my finger to get the thinnest possible coat.
  • After unmounting the stamp and the TO&O adhesive is "dry" only tacky, I use it to pick up some lint off of my shirt or pants before sticking it to the plastic case. That stuff is really tacky and can peel off your sticker when trying to remove it from the case. So a little bit of lint, makes it no so tacky any more.
  • I also replicate the SU label and add that to my cases. It has miniature images on the spine and the full image on the front. I love having that reference image on the spine of the CD case.

sewflake 05-24-2011 01:11 PM

Do you hear that???

All my rubber being peeled of those wood mounts!!!! I have been wanting to do that for several years but just could not get my self started with the EZmount I found it too hard to cut (harder than originally cutting the SU stamps) and the vinyl cling, didn't!

I have started working on my sets and it works like a charm, easy to peal off thanks to the Florida humidity and easy to paint with TO&O.

turki 05-24-2011 05:53 PM

Thank you for sharing the video! I had been using cling foam, because I didn't think it was possible to remove the stamp and keep the foam intact, and then you'd have the sticky side to contend with. I had no idea that it was possible to remove the stickers!

I just picked up some new stamps at a LSS yard sale, and the ones that were mounted came apart great! Some are unmounted, but they are the old un-cut style.

A question for the unmounters -
At the same yard sale, I bought some SU stamps that had been unmounted, with th original foam intact, and they had a plastic cling film on them. Like the way Stampendous sells their cling stamps. I knew about cling foam, and TIO&O, and the stuff that you brush onto your blocks, but this cling plastic was different. Does anyone know what it is and where to get it?

rskbh00 05-25-2011 08:08 AM

Thank you for posting this link. I started unmounting mine over 2 years ago but got frustrated with the ezmount junk and stopped. Now I am going to finish using this method, seems so much easier.

larleigh1964 06-09-2011 02:55 PM

Thank you, thank you. Now the task doesn't seem so daunting.

SayStampsPlease 06-16-2011 06:18 AM

This is WONDERFUL!! Thank you soooooo MUCH for sharing the link :D

lbirus 06-16-2011 01:26 PM

I love it! That's what I do and I feel like I try to tell the world how great a method this is! There are so many benefits! The tacky part is just great and isn't too sticky, the sticker is the perfect fit, the image can be seen through the clear block, the cases coordinate with the clear cases that the new SU sets come in, and best of all, it's soooooo inexpensive (a three dollar bottle will last forever)!

elaine white 10-25-2011 03:41 PM

I have ALMOST finished unmounting my stamps.
Here's what I learned.
The microwave works fine for loosening the adhesive that holds the rubber to the wood.
Sometimes the cushioned backing tears and the rubber must be remounted with EZ Mount foam.
Stamp each image on a sheet of paper BEFORE unmounting, grouping images
according to topic: Oriental, Western, Flowers, Ocean, Flying Things, etc.
Then make a copy of the paper to use in a image binder.

I spent too much money on supplies to do this.
I used hinged plastic project cases from Office Max and Office Depot, which were about $5.00 (on sale) when I purchased them. (Isis Project Case)
I put the paper with the images inside each case of matching stamps. The image page faces out so I can easily see what each case contains. Then I will have a binder with all the stamped images as a reference with the number of the case or binder holding the relevant stamps. And a title / number on the outside of the case/binder.

I also bought some terrific binders from Zazzle, which were not cheap, and let me use the EZ Mount panels.

In retrospect, I think it would have been far easier and certainly less money if I had bought an inexpensive wheeled tool chest like guys use. I've seen them for about $200 and that's about what I've spent on storage supplies.
I could have put several square feet of stamps in the drawers; I could have left them mounted, making them easier to see & grab.
The tool chest would take up more floor space.
I'm keeping my tiny stamps as is; the Rubber Stamp Tapestry stamps, and other itty bitty sets.

kphorse 10-25-2011 05:42 PM

turki

Tack N' Peel can be found at JoAnn's, it usually hangs right about the Xyron products...

stamphappy1650 10-25-2011 06:55 PM

My preference is EZ mount but I found that I had just as good or better results using Tombow mono glue instead of TI&O. It only takes a little bit whereas I had a hard tiime getting the right amount of TI&O.

Cartermrc 10-26-2011 08:39 AM

This is what I've done too-never tried EZ Mount and prefer Tombo to TIO&O as well. I don't care about keeping sets separate, I go by theme, add in singles, etc.

But I'm still keeping a few on the blocks like Teeny Tiny Wishes and Trendy Trees. Next year, I'm getting more cases and unmounting a couple more holiday sets. I ALWAYS order the clear mounts now.

Lmn 10-29-2011 09:41 PM

Oh My

I took the plunge and started unmounting some sets tonight following this tutorial. For the unmounting part, this worked great! I only did 5 sets and they are sitting in their cases w/ the TO&O drying. I'm going to stamp with some of them tomorrow to make sure I like the results. ;)

I sure hope so as I just can't seem to part w/ any more of my stamp sets but I need the extra room on the shelves.

patti601 10-02-2014 11:08 AM

where can I find the template for the images of the stamp sets to copy and print for my cases I bought from SU?

I cant find them...please help

gregzgurl 10-02-2014 04:33 PM

Is this what you're looking for? //www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/templates-f143/su-dvd-case-inserts-t532916.html

mcbenjam 10-02-2014 06:46 PM

The video linked in Post #1 is no longer available. Any suggestions for another video and/or good instructions?

I switched several years ago to only buying photopolymer, and have been gradually selling off my wood SU stamps, but there are a few that I'd really like to keep, but not on wood.

Thanks,

Mary

shazsilverwolf 10-03-2014 03:27 AM

I also found the video is not available any more. However, I did unmount all my woodmounts last Christmas, just microwaved the difficult ones for a few seconds. Also, I have moved away from the EZ mount stuff. When I first started to buy unmounteds, I put them all on it. I am finding now, maybe 8-10 years on, many of them are now peeling away from the EZ mount. Its as though the glue bond has broken down. So now I am just bare rubber- it takes up less space too. All mine are on sheets in A4 ring binders, either by theme or manufacturer.

NikiE 10-05-2014 08:23 AM

If you took your ez mounted stamps off the foam, how did you remove the adhesive from the ez mount?

shazsilverwolf 10-05-2014 08:40 AM

That was actually how I knew the EZ mount was no good any longer- most of them just peeled off completely, leaving nothing behind. It was as though the glue part had dried away totally. Where it did leave any residue in patches, I just rubbed it with my thumb and it came off- you wouldn't want to do that it with a lot, or large area though! I would think any sticky stuff remover would also help.