Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Notice SU cardstock seems thin?

Just opened my new cardstock and some colours are thin, I mean too thin for a good card base. Has anyone else noticed this? Not all the colours but some of them. The browns for sure. Not sure what the colour names are as I am not that familiar with the colour names and didn't sort them with names.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that their Whisper White is really thin. I haven't used their paper in a long time so I don't know about any other colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I just got cherry cobbler and marina mist and both seem as thick as usual. I'd definitely talk to your demo about this!

Sophie, the Whisper white and very vanilla SU cardstocks are thin on purpose. SU wants customers to buy colored cs for bases, and use the white and vanilla for layering. I also don't buy the SU white or vanilla anymore, but that's because I use white for most of my card bases and prefer PTI's, which has some tooth to it and is super thick for bases. The colored SU cs is (usually!) nice and heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh...Whisper White is thin on PURPOSE?? I don't understand!! The SU! customer service representative denied this point blank!! <exasperated look> Why would they make paper thin on purpose?? We can still layer THICK paper!!

Okay I only noticed because maybe a year or two ago, a friend of mine showed up at my house very upset because she had just opened her package of Whisper White and the paper was soooooo thin, but our demo said she couldn't return it because the package had already been opened. I called the 1-800 Stampin' Up! number for my friend 'cause I couldn't believe it (I thought surely there is some mistake; it would be easy to re-wrap, and none of the sheets were used. Also, it was just a neat slit across the top; it wasn't as if the plastic was torn completely off). But the customer service lady I talked to confirmed what our demo had said (it wasn't returnable) and also she continuously insisted that the Whisper White was JUST AS THICK as all the other SU! colours!

My friend became a PTI convert (for white paper at least) that day 'cause I consoled her by giving her a bunch of my PTI Select White.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Seems like you'd want the white thick as the most-used base, and the colors a tad thinner for layering...but what do I, the amateur, know? :-)
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the paper weight is supposed to be the same between the white and the colors, but it is the ultrasmooth quality that makes it "thinner".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I am finding lots of companies who are handling just as good if not better paper than SU. Mark's Finest Papers for one, and I love PTI too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

How odd, Sophie! My first demo, years ago, explained that the white and vanilla were thin and smooth for layering and crisp stamping, while the colored cardstock was thick and heavy for bases. That made perfect sense, given the SU card style model, but my own style veered away from that model years ago. Besides, real red ink never ever dries on WW or VV.

For a customer service representative to argue that WW was just as thick clearly indicates a failure in his/her training...as well as unfamiliarity with the product. Nutty.

And also not what I'm used to from SU. In my experience, Customer Service has been hugely helpful in the few instances I've had to deal with them over the years. I find the colored CS to be fairly comparable to PTI, and I love them both equally. But PTI has all my business for white and cream!

Isn't it great that we have so many choices!?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazylizardView Post
I am finding lots of companies who are handling just as good if not better paper than SU. Mark's Finest Papers for one, and I love PTI too.
Oh, yes! I can't wait to get my hands on the new stuff at Mark's Finest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I got some cs from the clearance rack and the textured seemed thin to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought I heard somewhere it had something to do with the dye used in the colored making it feel thicker. Or am I crazy and "hearing" things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

another weird (??) paper thing. My paper is getting thinner! Apparently the humidity sucks the life out of even my thickest cardstock, regardless of brand. No more stocking up for those of us living in a swamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Queen Bee.....Yes, most definately the dye used in coloring the paper can and does make a difference in the texture/feel of the paper.

The Stampin' Up white and off white/cream color paper are a totally different texture and feel than their other color cardstock. Yes, they are supposed to be the 80# they claim, but to the feel they are very different.

This difference holds true in other materials that are dyed. For example, embroidery floss has a difference between some colors. I'm sure there are other things, but I'm not familiar with those.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll take a couple of sample when I go to club next week. I might be ordering from Gina K as PTI's shipping is way too expensive to ship to Canada, unless I can find a good Canadian supplier. I was in a club, last one next week. So I got I set of each of the new colours sets and I have 1 package of the old colours (which ever set has Rich Razzelberry). I haven't checked the retired colours I ordered on sale. I will make do, but won't be buying much more of SU. I think I find better stuff or more my style of stuff else where. I had a hard time finding things to order since the new catty came out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Remember this too...

WEIGHT of paper is the number of pounds that 500 full size sheets of paper. All of SU paper is 80 pound paper.

THICKNESS (or caliper) of paper, if the basis weights are the same, has to do with the TYPE OF FINISH. Bristol, card, text, index, cover, etc are all different thicknesses and/or stiffnesses because of the way the paper is compressed, rolled, and finished. In order to get the ultrasmooth finish on SU white and vanilla, it needs to be rolled to a much tighter pack (higher density) and then finished to make the smooth surface. A stack of 20 sheets of SU white or vanilla will be thinner than 20 sheets of one of the colors because of the way it is rolled and finished.

Thickness does not necessarily translate into quality.

For card bases, STIFFNESS is what we look for and sometimes a lighter weight, less dense cardstock is just as STIFF as a heavier weight, more dense cardstock.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

For card bases, STIFFNESS is what we look for and sometimes a lighter weight, less dense cardstock is just as STIFF as a heavier weight, more dense cardstock.
Then I chose the wrong word, STIFFNESS, is what is missing in a number of the colours I tried, again it was the browns and possibly a white or light colour. Again I am terrible with the names. It was one package I bought before the colour change and one after of the mutli colour cardstock. Made it rather hard to do what I really wanted for the card last night. Not happy with the way it turned out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Thank you so very much for this explanation.
Personally I have been using Neenah 110 for my card bases. I can purchase a reem from the distributor for about 30$ (driving distance for me), and I get 250 sheets. I also use it for stamping and coloring. The plus is I have no problem using it w/ my copics. JM2�
Quote:

Remember this too...

WEIGHT of paper is the number of pounds that 500 full size sheets of paper. All of SU paper is 80 pound paper.

THICKNESS (or caliper) of paper, if the basis weights are the same, has to do with the TYPE OF FINISH. Bristol, card, text, index, cover, etc are all different thicknesses and/or stiffnesses because of the way the paper is compressed, rolled, and finished. In order to get the ultrasmooth finish on SU white and vanilla, it needs to be rolled to a much tighter pack (higher density) and then finished to make the smooth surface. A stack of 20 sheets of SU white or vanilla will be thinner than 20 sheets of one of the colors because of the way it is rolled and finished.

Thickness does not necessarily translate into quality.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

What is PTI ? I have buying the SU paper would like to try some others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Someone did some measurements and they are on a thread floating around here somewhere. They used some kind of really sensitive scale to weigh a bunch of colors, dark and light. If I remember right, they were all right around where they should be as far as weight. There was a very slight difference in some but I don't think it would have been enough to be "statistically significant" :-) Take THAT stats teacher, haha!

I have noticed in a different "feel" of the paper, well not of all but of some as of late. I think that they changed they manufacturer, maybe the new formula is a bit different. I haven't found it to be a problem in my own stamping though but I do notice the feel for sure. Maybe it has something to do with light versus dark like someone else mentioned. SU uses a lot more recycled fibers in the dark colors...maybe that is what makes them feel so sturdy???

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

I've used the cherry cobbler and expresso and both seem the same thickness as the other, older colors I have. I don't use SU's white or vanilla.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

PTI- papertreyink.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by marjona2View Post
Personally I have been using Neenah 110 for my card bases. I can purchase a reem from the distributor for about 30$ (driving distance for me), and I get 250 sheets. I also use it for stamping and coloring. The plus is I have no problem using it w/ my copics. JM2�
A ream is 500 sheets, you're getting ripped off!

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemurView Post
Marjona2 is correct... Neenah Classic paper comes in reams of 250 sheets -I think that's because it is cardstock. But yes... typically a ream of regular paper is 500 sheets of paper.

I don't think Marjona is getting ripped off. It's much cheaper to buy paper in full reams even though the ream is only 250 sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Default 80 lb. Really?

[QUOTE=fionna51;17385104]Remember this too...

What is a full sized sheet of paper? I have a hard time believing that 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper would weigh 80 lb.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

WOW! That is a GREAT deal!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemurView Post
A ream of heavier, thicker cover weight is 250 sheets. 500 would be almost 5 inches thick!

Quote:

I buy the 110 pound paper too, but Wausau discontinued their 110 pound astropaque that I loved. I'll have to check out the Neenah 110 pound. Thanks!
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 10-01-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

[quote=jutta;17386423]
Quote:

Remember this too...

What is a full sized sheet of paper? I have a hard time believing that 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper would weigh 80 lb.

Jutta
full sheets are about 22 x 28 inches or 24 x 30 and sometimes 26 x 36 inches. Thus the 80 pounds would be for about 4500 sheets of 8.5 x 11 (plus some scrap).
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 10-01-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=fionna51;17386549]A ream of heavier, thicker cover weight is 250 sheets. 500 would be almost 5 inches thick!

No, the actual definition of a ream of paper is 500 sheets no matter what thickness. I don't really mean to make a big deal of it - just sayin'.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, ladies I am dorkin' out here...just did some research on reams. A ream of standard paper is 500 sheets. However, a ream of cardstock is just 250 sheets. Hope that helps somebody!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked up paper ream and cardstock ream and got both answers in different places. 250 and 500.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its interesting to read all of this, especially as Im currently always hunting for CS that is close to SU. As SU in Australia is double the cost than it is in the US!

I do have one question though... I know that SU paper is 80lbs but in Australia we work in GSM. Does anyone know the conversion between the two? I have googled but cant figure it out! Thankyou girls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #32  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
Marjona2 is correct... Neenah Classic paper comes in reams of 250 sheets -I think that's because it is cardstock. But yes... typically a ream of regular paper is 500 sheets of paper.

I don't think Marjona is getting ripped off. It's much cheaper to buy paper in full reams even though the ream is only 250 sheets.
I also buy Neenah in reams of 250. LOVE that stuff!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Can you buy Neenah paper at any office supply store, or is it only available online?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a SU die hard where their cardstock is concerned because I love that everything is color coordinated. However, I may try some of the white cardstock from PTI.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is my understanding that paper weight is determined by a square measure using height, length and width. So a cardstock ream = a paper ream in size but not weight.

this was a good webbie and below is the wiki chart.

Interesting discussion here!

Paper Weight Conversion Chart - Grams to Lbs

Writing paper measurements

25 sheets = 1 quire
500 sheets = 20 quires = 1 ream
1,000 sheets = 40 quires = 2 reams = 1 bundle
5,000 sheets = 200 quires = 10 reams = 5 bundles = 1 bale

'Short' paper measurements

24 sheets = 1 'short' quire
480 sheets = 20 'short' quires = 1 'short' ream
960 sheets = 40 'short' quires = 2 'short' reams = 1 'short' bundle
4,800 sheets = 200 'short' quires = 10 'short' reams = 5 'short' bundles = 1 'short' bale

Posters and printing measurements

516 sheets (= 21� 'short' quires) = 1 printer's ream
1,032 sheets = 2 printer's reams = 1 printer's bundle
5,070 sheets = 5 printer's bundles = 1 printer's bale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Elisha, I'm not sure what 80lbs is in GSM, BUT, for the PTI paper or the 110 lbs one it's about 290-270. I have 290 here and PTI paper and they seem pretty close, maybe a touch thicker.

Here's a link with a nice chart I think: Paper Weight Conversion Chart - Grams to Lbs

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
Just opened my new cardstock and some colours are thin, I mean too thin for a good card base. Has anyone else noticed this? Not all the colours but some of them. The browns for sure. Not sure what the colour names are as I am not that familiar with the colour names and didn't sort them with names.
I noticed this also; last week I was using one of the darker cardstocks to make a card base and noticed it was so thin that I could not use it for a base. Then I have noticed other colors that are thicker than some of the others. Very weird!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Is their textured cardstock thinner than the smooth? I was sent a package of textured cardstock last spring and I used a piece as a card base the other night and it really seemed thin. I was just wondering if this is normal or not, because I've never used their textured cardstock before.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by putriView Post
Elisha, I'm not sure what 80lbs is in GSM, BUT, for the PTI paper or the 110 lbs one it's about 290-270. I have 290 here and PTI paper and they seem pretty close, maybe a touch thicker.

Here's a link with a nice chart I think: Paper Weight Conversion Chart - Grams to Lbs
Thankyou for that I dont know how right the chart is as I use 200gsm card for bases and the SU 90lbs ones is much thicker.... I think ill be aiming to find something around the 250-290 mark. I love the sound of PTI but shipping is a KILLER!!!

I just checked out your site LOVE IT !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by itwrx4meView Post
Can you buy Neenah paper at any office supply store, or is it only available online?
Xpedx stores stock it, if you have one in your area.
Reply With Quote Likes