Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Advice por favor...

Yeah I probably didn't even spell that right...shows how I did in high school!

Well I have been reading all these threads on unmounting stamps and putting them on Ez-Mount and Graffix and things like that...and it looks like something that I would like to do considering that I have limited space for my stamping things at this point.

I totally dig the wood blocks too though...I don't have a problem with them at all aside from the occasional crooked image (I need a flipping Stamp-a-ma0jig)...so I know all the points and good things and I really haven't heard any bad things about unmounting...

But I guess what I am wary about is...when using the unmounted...do they really cling to the acrylic blocks that well? I think my hesitation lies in the taking the stamp on and off of the block...and then stamping and cleaning and all that.

What do you all think??? I'm hesitant and any advice would be awesome.
Faerey Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

This is my personal take on the whole unmounted - I have lots of wood mounted sets and I have a fair amount of TAC unmounted sets...

I like the grab and go convience of having my stamps mounted...I can grab a stamp and stamp - throw it back into it's box...with unmounted you have to get your acrylic block - get your stamp - slap it on the block and then stamp...if you are using a bunch of unmounted stamps and have a limited # of blocks then you might have to keep peeling them off and slapping another one on...

Now...I do love my TAC images...but I usually buy images from them that are more speciality images (hunting , golf, etc...) that I don't use on a consistant basis...

I can't image having some of my sets I use alot unmounted but for sets you might only use once in a blue moon or for specific occassions - if you have space issues unmounting some might be the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

That's what I was thinking...unmounting all of my individual stamps (Inky Antics, House Mouse, etc...) to see how I liked it. I really don't have alot of space...I tell you...my stamping takes up the whole of my living room floor when I stamp...
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, here's my take on it for what it's worth.

Generally, if I buy a stamp mounted, I leave it mounted unless it has elements that I know I'll want to use separately. I don't have so many stamps (yet) that space is an option - I'm much more addicted to the embellishments and paper and coloring supplies.

However, there are a lot of sets out there that are way cheap that are mounted only on foam blocks, and I unmount all of those (usually use tack-it-over-and-over directly on the rubber with these; no cushion.) I also have a number of sets from TAC that came with EZ-Mount and some plain rubber from Eureka and conventions and such. The plain rubber I usually try without cushion and only use the EZ Mount if it needs it for an even impression. I also have a couple of new SU stamps that I used the Grafix cling vinyl on. I have no sets where the stamps themselves are clear acrylic, though.

I don't notice any difference with the stamp moving around on the acrylic mount when stamping with any of the unmounted methods. However, I have noticed that the stamps don't seem to want to cling as well if the block has any kind of oily residue on it (from cleaners, or inks, or even hand lotion.) Also, if you get wet cleaning solution on the acrylic block that it can seep under the stamp while you're cleaning it, it will start sliding around on the mount. If you use a stampin' scrub, this shouldn't be a problem; I've noticed it with the cleaners that come in the dauber-top bottles.

Taking the stamps on and off the blocks and the cd cases or storage pages doesn't seem to lessen the cling at all. With the Grafix and the EZ Mount, if you do start having a problem, it just means the cling part (or the mount) needs to be cleaned. The tack-it glue can pick up dust and hair that will make it lose its cling; you just need to apply another layer if that happens.

I also haven't found it to be any great hassle to pull the stamps on and off the acrylic blocks, but that's because if I don't have enough blocks for the stamps that I'm using for a given project, I improvise blocks. I've used Jenga blocks with packing tape on them, the bottom of a drinking glass, tic-tac box - anything rigid enough to keep the stamp level and big enough that the stamp fits on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have SU images that I have not mounted on the wood blocks and use cling mount, and I have the CTMH stamps (obviously). Storage is so much easier, and it is at a premium. I hardly ever think about mounting and unmounting my stamps anymore, its just second nature at this point.

Be sure you have enough blocks to use, that certaintly helps

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Ker-bumppity bump bump bump.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the ez cling stuff! Does not slip at all when stamping, then I run it under water to clean it, peel it off and let it dry around my sink. Space savings is incredible. It works fine with a stamp scrubber...unless you have a tiny alphabet piece...that wants to slide then. But, it really cleans under water fine (use a finger nail brush if you used pigment ink...or something the really sticks like gold ink!)

I think most people may take a few stamping sessions to "adjust" to the acrylic mounts but once you do, you will even mount your SU stamps on cling like I do. (Unless you are a demo and obviously can't then...) And, as mentioned, it helps to have a few blocks handy.

Try it, you'll like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I am in the process now of unmounting some of my sets onto Grafix. I'm leaving the background stamps wood mounted. I have mostly SU and am starting to acquire CTMH sets and I don't have a problem with mounting and unmounting. Like someone already said...just make sure you have enough blocks and you won't have a problem having to switch all the time. I haven't decided if I want to unmount my wood mounted stamps from other companies (like my A Muse stamps, for example). I may only unmount some of them like the Art Impressions ones because they can be large and take up a lot of space. I was able to find a perfectly sized storage unit at Storables that has 5 drawers that are the perfect height of wood mounted stamps. I can store a bunch of stamps on each shelf, plus organize them the way I want to. It's working great for me. It's the SU stamps, mostly, that are taking over my space. It was hard to take the plunge but now that I've started, seeing the empty space left behind just gets me more motiviated to keep going! I've cleaned the wood blocks really well so if I ever trade or sell the set, the next person can have it either way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Not to uhm...threadjack my own thread () but what is CTMH????
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jessica - CTMH is Close To My Heart - another company much like Stampin' Up! or TAC, except their stamps are all the clear acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Alright....*takes a deep breath* I'll order the 'stuff' and start unmounting my individual stamps...and see how I like it. But I'll likely keep the blocks in case I do trade or sell....I need the space in my 'stamping box' desperately....

Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Jessica, I think when you try it out you will like it. I was very opposed to unmounted stamps for years because there was no convenient way to use them. TIO&O was a nightmare with pet hair and EP and glitter and everything else sticking to it. Velcro stuff was popular for awhile, but somewhat expensive. Then EZ Mount came along and I love it! It's so easy and the space saving is monumental.

I suggest you buy a couple duplicates of acrylic blocks. The majority of stamps fit on a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 blocks. They are cheap enough that having 2 or 3 on hand is nice.

I'm gonna go stamp now.
Reply With Quote Likes