Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Advice needed... ;) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/advice-needed-%3B-641069/)

fionna51 03-15-2022 11:17 AM

Advice needed... ;)

To make a long story short, I've done a big purge of stamp sets and gathered my separated sets back together. That would make another whole thread! haha. But I am now in a quandary about three "sets" that I have recently purchased.

First a little clarity.
...My stamp sets and stamp sets with dies are filed together and I can find them by company. (Yes, that is actually how I think when I look for what I need.)
...I have my stencils in small binders with page protectors to put them in. I really like them that way, compared to stuffing them in an envelope.

But this does not make it easy to store:
...a stamp set with 3 stencils
...a set of 3 stencils with a die
...a stamp set with dies and 5 stencils

Unfortunately the stencils are larger than my uniform stamp set storage envelopes. And I can't fit larger envelopes in my drawers.

How do you handle storage of such stencil/stamp/die combinations. I need to figure something out and NEED some input! Tell me what you do...or what you would do in my place.

TexasGrammy 03-15-2022 04:05 PM

Hmmmmm. I have no stamps with matching stencils.
However, I do keep stencils in 'page protectors' in a binder. I use skinny Avery labels to affix the stencil name & company abbreviation to the page protector/sleeve.
Perhaps consider a specific name label for each of your sets that include a stencil. Print/write 2 labels, using 1 for the stamp sleeve and 1 for the stencil sleeve.
Best wishes in your task. Good for you for acheiving the purge!

TeeGeeDee 03-15-2022 08:59 PM

Disclaimer: I am not organized (at all) but is it possible to keep those pesky items out on your work surface?

My thought process is that you might not otherwise find them because any other solution would not be the way you think when searching.

Another possibility is if you have anything stored by themes, fit the pesky stuff into a suitable theme.

Hope you come up with a good solution!

lutheran 03-16-2022 01:23 AM

Do you use paper holders for 12x12 papers? If you do, you can drop in the stencils and use a divider with a bright label so you remember they are in there and use them. I have ton of stencils, only a few that I use right now so that is where they go on my work table.
Mary Beth

Scrapjanny 03-16-2022 04:50 AM

If the stencil can be used by itself, I store it with the rest of my stencils. I put a sticker label on it to remind me that I have a matching stamp set/dies. I also put a label on the stamps & dies to remind me about the matching stencil. (Hope that makes sense.)

If it doesn't stand alone, I store it with the product that is dominant and that I think I will look for first. I also use Evernote to log all of my stamps, dies, and (soon) stencils, so I can find any of those in less than 30 seconds.

GypsyRoseStamper 03-16-2022 08:18 AM

I have lots of theme files and like to make cross references to related items in various media. It's easy when it comes to something like a sample of ribbon or washi tape, but, otherwise, I just keep a note mentioning the related paper, stamp, etc. Just a note is easy enough to store. If you want to take it further, keep a photo of the stencils with the stamps.

wavejumper 03-16-2022 09:22 AM

First, congrats on the purge and re-org! :)

I have some weird sets like that.

I don't store by company-I store by product and then category.

The ones with stencils that are 6 x 6, I put it in the same storage pocket for a 6 x 6 and they have their own box for mixed product sets.

If they don't fit in that facing forward,, they get a larger pocket and go sideways in the same box. (So far I dont have a lot of those odd sets) If I get more, then the regular sized pockets will switch to facing to the side instead of forward. I hope that makes sense. aka I have to pull the box out fully and turn it sideways to now be looking at the pockets full on. (I already have a few boxes like that for oversized sets like say the monthly Hero)

So they are in their own "weirdo" box lol.

Another choice...if you store by brand and not product, and you are in a box, and it is too big, you might be able to pop it on the side? I have some large stencils items like that. Like scrapjenny said, pick the item you remember the set for most for which box.

OR you could have a dedicated standard binder for the weirdos....and use full page pockets with a lightweight piece of cardboard with a piece of magnet to hold a die in place. Put the whole set in there.

Let us know what you decide on! Good luck! :)