Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Acrylic Blocks (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/acrylic-blocks-580175/)

HappyGirl 10-29-2013 06:17 AM

Acrylic Blocks

Are they all the same or does the brand matter? I've unmounted all my wood stamps and now realize I may need a few more acrylic blocks. How many do I really need and what sizes? Also, which brand is best? Thanks,

coffeegal85 10-29-2013 07:22 AM

Stampin Up! They have a clear block starter kit for $20, which includes the 3 most used sizes. I have this set, and have yet to encounter a stamp that didn't fit onto one of the three (but I'm still a newbie). If you have some bigger stamps, you could always add a clear block E or F to the starter kit.

I had the Fiskars Stamp Block set to start off with, and there really is no comparison between the two. Stampin' Up is heaver and easier to hold, thus producing clearer images IMO.

Crafter 4 Life 10-29-2013 09:49 AM

I have bought my acrylic blocks from Michael's/JoAnn and stamping stores. I like the ones with a grip-groove on the sides or the ones with scallop edges. I also like my blocks to be thick. Cling stamps should be able to be used with most acrylic blocks. I like SU products but if I can find similar products at places where I can use a coupon, I buy there. The sizes you buy depend on the size of your cling stamps.

I also have the Fiskars Stamp Press (?) and have been using it quite often recently. It's the acrylic plate with grid lines and 4 sponge feet.

DianneB1030 10-29-2013 10:17 AM

As much as I love Tim Holtz, one thing I really disliked were his acrylic blocks, very thin, more of an acrylic plate. I have and love the SU blocks. I gave away the Tim Holtz set.

cbet 10-29-2013 10:55 AM

The brand does matter - my first blocks were from Sunday International, and I thought they were just fine - until I ordered some called "The Clear Thing", which don't seem to be available anymore. Those were awesome! Thick, easy to hold, and no sharp edges. I don't have any of the SU blocks, but I've used them at my demo's house and they are just as nice. I also have some of the InkaDinkaDo blocks from Michael's (the ones with the scallop finger grips) and they're pretty good. And, I have a pretty extensive collection of some that are about 1-1/2" square that I acquired by purchasing some dollar spot stamps on clearance at Michael's for a quarter apiece. Those had the sharper edges, but I smoothed them down with a fingernail smoothing block and that fixed that problem.

ETA: as far as how many, my mantra seems to be "more is better" :) But unless you're a demo who does stamp camps, where you have 10 cards going at once, you really don't need that many. I do have multiples of the 2x3 ish size because it's not uncommon for me to need 2 of those for one card, but I also prefer to slap all my stamps on blocks and stamp, and not worry about removing and cleaning them until the end of the stamping session. (So, I'll have a stamp on a block that I'm not using that I could use the block for a different stamp - I just don't want to worry about removing the old stamp and cleaning it yet.)

And one more ETA: Remember, if you don't have a correct block handy, there are lots of household items that will substitute in a pinch. Dominos, the flat bottom of a drinking glass, an unwarped plate from your Big Shot . . .

Grumpygirl73 10-29-2013 11:07 AM

I like the thin blocks from Tim Holtz, but I realize they're not everyone's cup of tea. The thicker blocks that Lawn Fawn puts out look nicely grip-able and even ergonomic.

Alice in Md 10-29-2013 12:29 PM

I like thick blocks with a grippable edge and lines that are great for lining up words and some images. Stampin' Up! sells a set of grid decals which are helpful, and some small manufacturers actually grind fine gridlines into the blocks.

binkiemonstermom 10-29-2013 05:53 PM

I have said over and over that SU blocks are sssssssooooo worth it!!!!!

arlenevita 10-29-2013 06:29 PM

Stampin Up blocks hands down because they feel smooth, have the groove all the way around the block and keep your fingers out of the ink!!!! I have no brand loyalty and buy from many manufacturers but I LOVE SU! blocks! I have the whole set and plus multiples of C, D, and H.

lynkim 10-29-2013 07:02 PM

I also love the SU blocks, easy to grip. I own one Close To My Heart and some Martha Stewart, they aren't bad but I prefer SU

Misstreez 10-29-2013 08:36 PM

I personally like the 3/8" thick ones the best. I have a thick 3/4" CTMH one and it's the one I reach for the least coz it's so heavy for it's size. Love the ones with gridlines, but if they don't have it I use the gridlines from my Scorpal work mat to assist with that. Finger grips are nice, but I use the straight edge ones to scrape glues and paints off my glass mat. And I wouldn't be without my Mega Mount, which is curved with a handle.

NYstamper 10-30-2013 02:29 AM

Another vote for the SU blocks! I have tried several different kinds and ended up getting rid of them when I tried the SU ones.

stampinovice 10-30-2013 06:28 AM

I agree, more is better. The Inkadinkadoo blocks at Joann's and Michael's are great and you can use a coupon!! Never pay full price for basics. I also have the cricut stamp set that was sold as a 4pack. They are nice too and have the grids. Just saw them on clearance at my Michaels. Also a big fan of the Fiskars stamp press. Again use a coupon!!

SophieLaFontaine 10-30-2013 07:06 AM

I have all sizes available of the Inkadinkado blocks with the gridlines. I filled in remaining needed sizes with SU! blocks, but don't like them as much because of the lack of gridlines.