Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
Might I add a letter D: Those who don't get a handmade card. They get whatever oddball/premade card I might have on hand. These are generally people who have said "you have too much time on your hands" or belittled your crafting abilities.
The crafting-belittling D-list gets oddball cards?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that they got a box of dog poop. . . .

and when they say 'Hey, why'd you send me a box of dog poop?', you say 'Oh no--I must have gotten the package labels mixed up and sent the really really really delicious cookies I made for you to Olga the Organic Gardener! Man is she going to be ticked that the chocolate chips weren't vegan. . . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Even though I grouse about not getting notification if people receive my cards, I have a very good friend who keeps all of my cards and keeps them out on display all the time. When I see her about twice a year, I realize that there are some people who really do appreciate a hand-made card.

Merry Christmas stampers.

Wanda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I also wanted to add, that even if you don't get a verbal thanks or feel appreciated - you never know...I was at my SIL's house in September and she still had the card I sent her last year on display. She'd never said anything, but I guess that meant she liked it. And I saw another of my cards from last year still out in someone else's house in October. Same thing - they never said thanks, but obviously both liked and appreciated the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

My story is ... I sent out my cards this year and one to my Aunt and Uncle .. my Aunt called my mom and said that the ladies in her area only get a dollar for their cards when they sell them at craft sales ... well I was a little put off I guess ... because when I recieved her card I did not automatically place a dollar value on it ... ' oh you must have bought these last year on boxing day' I guess my feelings were kinda hurt too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I don't expect a thank you from recipients, but receive enough appreciative comments here & there that I'm fine with it. I had a few extra christmas cards this year so I stuck a couple in my basket of cards for sale at work. A co-worker bought one to put a gift card in for her dreaded MIL (lol), and she just told me yesterday that her MIL commented on what a lovely card it was! Made my day!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy_38View Post
My story is ... I sent out my cards this year and one to my Aunt and Uncle .. my Aunt called my mom and said that the ladies in her area only get a dollar for their cards when they sell them at craft sales ... well I was a little put off I guess ... because when I recieved her card I did not automatically place a dollar value on it ... ' oh you must have bought these last year on boxing day' I guess my feelings were kinda hurt too.
Ouch. I know what you mean about not putting a price on a card or gift - I know in northern England there is a saying "There's nowt so queer as folk" - maybe it applies in this case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks for handmade cards

I am a new card-marker. This was my first Christmas sending out hand-made cards. I don't expect to get acknowledgement for the cards (other than a reciprocal card). I was mostly concerned that they would think they were tacky.

I did recently send a hand-made sympathy card to a co-worker who lost her grandmother right before Christmas. I received an email from her yesterday thanking me for the thoughts and prayers as well as the "beautiful" card. I have to admit - it made my day that she noticed the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

I'm with some of you, for every person who contacts you back and recognizes your work there are a dozen more who do appreciate the card but just don't say anything.

I send my DS cards that he keeps displayed on a shelf over his computer. One of his fiance's girlfriends asked where he got them and then explained to everyone who was at the party how much time they take and how good these were. DS said he laughed cuz he knew their value and now his friends all do as well.

Nice compliment from the 20 somethings!

Someone once said something negative or stereotypical about making cards and I just said they were theraputic like underwater basket weaving and kept me from strangling people. giggle giggle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Maybe it's an age thing but when I send/give someone a card, I do it because I want them to feel good. It's about my wish to make them feel good knowing that I care about them. I don't do it to get praise or receive anything in return. I may spend a good deal of time making a special card that I think they will enjoy and my "good feelings" come from thinking of the person and having fun doing my hobby making the card. I appreciate any compliments or acknowledgements I receive, but I don't expect any and I'm not upset or hurt if I don't hear a response or it is not complimentary enough.

People who don't do this type of craft have no idea what is involved to make a card. I've had people ask me about a card I've given them and they were shocked about how much of the card is not just puchased pieces glued together.

I have no idea how much work goes into doing a lot of other peoples hobbies. My brother-in-law ties flies for fishing. I hope he doesn't get frustrated and upset because I don't praise him sufficiently about his flies! But I do really enjoy (and thank him for) the fried fish!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #49  
Crimping Master

I completely agree with flwrldy3...

When I make a card for someone I don't expect anything in return. I'm doing it to make them feel good and that makes me feel good.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when someone gushes about my cards but I've learned through almost 6 years of therapy that a gift is just that and once the recipinet has it it is out of your control what happens so you just have to be happy in the giving.

I made 140 Christmas cards for a nursing home and won't get a single thank you for them other but that's OK with me. I just hope that the folks that got them feel like there is someone out there who cares about them and thought of them at Christmas.

For mass mailed cards like Christmas cards I suppose I know the people on my list who appreciate them the most and I give them the cards that are the nicest or that take the most work and other people who don't care as much get the quicker ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I agree with you! But when I give them out, I usually don't expect any response. I finally stopped making handmade cards for christmas. It's way to much work and I find my family could care less. So, for about 2/3 of the family, they get cheap store bought cards (not even nice storebought cards).

Here's a real kicker--one year I did do handmade cards for the whole family. While at my grandmother's house--I actually saw a card I had made IN THE TRASHCAN. UGH. that was it. now they all get dollar store cards at christmas.

Holley
A new card posted everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolleyTXView Post
I agree with you! But when I give them out, I usually don't expect any response. I finally stopped making handmade cards for christmas. It's way to much work and I find my family could care less. So, for about 2/3 of the family, they get cheap store bought cards (not even nice storebought cards).

Here's a real kicker--one year I did do handmade cards for the whole family. While at my grandmother's house--I actually saw a card I had made IN THE TRASHCAN. UGH. that was it. now they all get dollar store cards at christmas.

Holley
A new card posted everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
LOL - I'm more of the kill them with kindness approach - the pettiness of others says more about them than me. If I make everyone a card to the best of my ability at the time then I have treated them with kindness whatever their feelings of my abilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

We had a neighbour from across the road over for coffee and cake at the weekend.
She not only said thank you for her lovely card - but also said she still had her card from the previous year and put it out again this Christmas too .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

You never know what people are going to do with our stamped cards. Some will toss them and some will save them.

I used to send my brother one of my birthday cards with some cash. He always called me to thank me for the birthday money. He never mentioned anything about the card but I didn't expect him to. He passed away 2 1/2 years ago and my niece said when they cleaned out his desk they found that he had saved all of my cards. It really touched my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think anyone who receives a handmade card, is delighted to recieve one.
But in general, some peopla have gotten really lax in their gratitude.
Do people recieve as many thank yous for gifts received? It really ticks me off
when people can't send thank you for a gift received, and then we go through all
the work to make them homemade cards with the gift and they can't even send
a thank you. As you can see I think people have become to lax in gratitude.
I have to just drop my feelings also, as I gave someone a shower gift of a
folding chair and another folding chair for a wedding gift; an never received a
thank you.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.....Yes, I would think people would ackowledge a gift given or sent to them, as I feel most do. But NO, I would not expect someone to acknowledge a card even if handmade. After all, it is a card and not the main event of the gift.

I make all the cards I give to people for what ever reason. Very, very seldom do I have anyone say thank-you for the card. I certainly don't expect it. They will thank me for a gift if there was gift involved.

I make all my cards with quality materials, though not as highly embellished as many other people do, that's just not my style. What people do with the cards I give them is their business or how they feel about them is up to them. I don't care. I got the pleasure out of making the card and customizing it to them. So I got my enjoyment out of it. That's what counts to me.

We do have to remember, that we make cards which is just that......a card, which is embellished in the way we choose to do it.

I don't need to be thanked for each card I send/give to someone. I also don't expect it.

This year '09 I handmade and sent out Christmas cards that included a very nice photograph of my Service Dog puppy inside. The outside of the card was customized and embellished with die cuts, rubber stamping and heat embossing. I did get a few of my neighbors that acknowledged the picture of my dog which they kept, but nothing was said about the handmade card. I was still flattered!

I did receive a handmade card this past Christmas. I did e-mail the sender to ask how she did a particular part of the card. No, I didn't actually say thank-you for the card. She was flattered that I asked about the technique she used though.

I received another store made photograph card from another crafter friend. I was disappointed that someone who says they are a crafter didn't handmake her cards but just had a store put a photograph of her family on a postcard to send out. The family's names were not even handwritten. I didn't e-mail a thank-you.

I don't give gifts other than the handmade cards I give. I get the pleasure out of making them and to me that's all that counts! My friends, neighbors and family know I am a crafter and handmake all my cards.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I received another store made photograph card from another crafter friend. I was disappointed that someone who says they are a crafter didn't handmake her cards but just had a store put a photograph of her family on a postcard to send out. The family's names were not even handwritten. I didn't e-mail a thank-you.

I don't give gifts other than the handmade cards I give. I get the pleasure out of making them and to me that's all that counts! My friends, neighbors and family know I am a crafter and handmake all my cards.

Patti
I admit that I have resorted to printing our names on my hand made cards. Apparently my cursive is too flowery for my DH's extended family to read and you would be amazed at the variety of names they think we have named the children! :lol:

I do autograph it though AND I don't have to worry about how clear the signature is ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Reading this thread with great interest as most of us have just sent out lots of hand-made cards and gifts. I admit, I get the warmest feeling when anyone notices a card I've made, but I tell myself it's icing on the cake. I get to create, relieve stress and connect with some wonderful friends when I stamp with a group. That in itself is a blessing to me. Being a crafty person most of my life, I have learned that for the non-crafters out there, they just don't realize the time and effort that goes into hand-crafted items. I now simplify some of my gifts to those people, but knock myself out for the acknowledgers. The biggest thing I wanted to share is that the reason we are at this site is to be able to acknowledge others work and have them notice ours. So, if I get a lot of comments here but nothing from the recipient, I can deal with it. I love to receive comments on my cards and send as many as time allows to others.

I said to my sister that I was surprised that my Mom didn't have much to say about the cards I had been sending to her. She looked surprised and told me that she had them posted all around her house- I felt so much better. People appreciate in different ways. Thanks for the good conversation, ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

I got the biggest acknowledgment for my cards last year. For christmas our offices in the hospital send out cards to each department. Our CEO came in to our department head and wanted to know where we got the cards because it was so pretty. Made me feel pretty good.
Reply With Quote Likes