Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   $66.00 for one rubber stamp on E-Bay (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/%2466-00-one-rubber-stamp-e-bay-98499/)

ninatar 11-08-2005 12:26 PM

$66.00 for one rubber stamp on E-Bay

Well, it is a nice stamp that is hard to get - but last bid (so far) in this one stamp is $66.00. Ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Haiku-Bunny-Rubb...QQcmdZViewItem

luv too stamp 11-08-2005 12:28 PM

stamp set

Yikes, which stamp is that?

Cathy H 11-08-2005 12:35 PM

Damn, that's a lot of money for one stamp. Am I allowed to use that word?
Actually, it is a beautiful stamp - I have it. I was told by my local store that it is the one stamp that is most asked for. Hero Arts made it, it is currently discontinued.

Julia S 11-08-2005 12:35 PM

I just don't get it!!!! What is so special about this stamp?

Julia S 11-08-2005 12:37 PM

How much was it originally?

Rubbernecker 11-08-2005 12:42 PM

The seller seems to be using a lot of misleading words in her title so it comes up on searches. It could be misconstrued that she is selling a "huge" "lot" of "mixed" stamps from Hero Arts. :confused:

CaliGal 11-08-2005 12:50 PM

I saw that too - would be really leery to bid on this one. (Then again, there is no way I would pay that much $$$ for A single stamp)

mishy 11-08-2005 12:52 PM

I agree when you read the title it seems like you'll be getting alot of stamps with your purchase. The first bidder bid 20.00. I dont think you would bid 20.00 on one stamp right away.

Cathy H 11-08-2005 12:57 PM

I paid $8 for mine at a retail store in Fairfield, Ca.

jeanstamping2 11-08-2005 01:13 PM

Seller

I think the term is called Key word Spamming.
This way the person can get more buyers to look at their auctions.

According to Ebay..this not allow!

And I don't think I would pay THAT much for one stamp!!!

My pocketbook is screaming @ me....NO! NO! NO!......lol

StampinHappyInCT 11-08-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia S
I just don't get it!!!! What is so special about this stamp?

I agree ... YUCK! :eek:

jdmeeks 11-08-2005 02:40 PM

Wow - I really like this stamp and have been looking for it myself; but $66.00 is way too rich for my blood!!!

Jovi 11-08-2005 02:45 PM

WOW ~ that's one special bunny! ;)

Taishea 11-08-2005 02:47 PM

Well, I am not too impressed with this single huge lot of mixed STAMP! How does one report such a thing through ebay? hmmmmm... Taishea

Rox71 11-08-2005 03:25 PM

Hey, I'm high bidder on that stamp so watch what you're saying here! LOL!

I have never cared for this stamp and when I can get things for as low as 1.00 for about this size stamp at a resale, NO WAY would I pay that kind of money. Someone needs their brain examined! I wouldn�t pay that for a set much less one stamp.

crazycatstamper 11-08-2005 03:31 PM

Good Heavens!!! I used to have this stamp.... sold it at a used stamp sale for $1 Guess I should have held onto it, huh??? LOL!

Julia S 11-08-2005 03:56 PM

Does anyone know of a card posted using this stamp...maybe it looks better once made into a card?

CardFanatic 11-08-2005 04:15 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know of a card posted using this stamp...maybe it looks better once made into a card?

Maybe that's it because it doesn't look like anything special standing alone.

kingmontmom 11-08-2005 04:58 PM

As soon as I saw "haiku bunny" on the title, I knew which stamp this was. I saw a very beautiful card on the hero arts website a while back that used this stamp, but even then it was discontinued. The card was great but $66, I don't think so!!!

mickeyfanatic 11-08-2005 05:24 PM

That is a very cute stamp but, not for that price. YIKES!

avonlea 11-08-2005 07:28 PM

How to report a bad listing to eBay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taishea
Well, I am not too impressed with this single huge lot of mixed STAMP! How does one report such a thing through ebay? hmmmmm... Taishea

Good question! Here's how to report a listing which violates eBay's policy (or policies):
  1. At the top of the eBay, click on Help.
  2. Click on Rules and Policies from the list of topics.
  3. Continue to narrow down the topics until you get to the policy you think is being violated. Example: Rules for Sellers.
  4. Click on the next sub-topic. Example: Keyword Spam.
    Then,
  5. Click on Report. It's at the bottom of the page which describes the policy, ie. Report listing violations or problems with another eBay member.
  6. Then you'll click on several topics (each one gets narrowed down) and you can then report up to 10 listings. mac OS X users: I used to be able to do it in Safari, now I need to do it through Firefox. Weird.
It's a start! :)

Go ahead and report that listing; I'll do the same.

Oh, and, since we're on the topic of CRAZY eBay bidders with tooooo much $$$$$.... (I posted this a while ago in another thread.)

I thought I'd seen the craziest final bid price when I came across these; 2 House Mouse� stamps for US$67.04. :confused:

But *then* I came across a thread on twopeasinabucket regarding this *outrageous* final bid. Are you sitting down????
*gulp*

ONE PSX Hibiscus Flower Stamp - Retired/Unused/NEW = ...... US$280.00
:confused:
*shocked*

Um...pardon me???? If you think it's a typo, follow the link. Now there MUST be something fishy going on there, right? Eep!

MSBetsyZ 11-08-2005 07:35 PM

I'd sell mine for $65 right now, lol! Heck, I'd even throw in postage! Sheesh!

StampinOma 11-08-2005 08:07 PM

Look at the bid history. The original bidder kept upping her own bid (out of 10 bids, 9 are from one bidder) and then only once another bidder bid against her. I think someone is bidding to help the seller get the bid amount up. Can't remember the term for it, but it is mighty fishy. And there is still 5 days til the auction ends.

doxiejan 11-08-2005 08:54 PM

OMG!! That is unreal!! Cant imagine paying $66 for ONE stamp. Someone is going to get scammed. Hope no one bites!!

xiunyuki 11-08-2005 09:34 PM

i agree with this being very fishy...as the bidder keeps rasing his bid so soon...probably to help the seller. This happened to me once as i was bidding on a lot of 3 Michael's $1 foam stamps (since we don't have Michael's here in HI.) i put in my max bid which was for $8.00 and before me was this other bidder who bid the starting bid $.99. Of course i was outbid by the original bidder by $8.50 a day before it ends. The next day i waited to bid on it at the last minute....as i putting in my bid at $10, the original bidder kept out bidding me until my last bid was $12 (i know, how crazy!!! for $1 stamp??) that bidder got it for $12.50. Soon after the auction ended, i received an email from the seller telling me i have a second chance at the item. She's willingly re-list the stamps as a Buy-It-Now item for $12.00. i thought wow...how fishy!! Maybe she was the other bidder just wanting to see how much i would go for. Naturally, I didn't budge at the offer.

stamps&cars 11-08-2005 09:45 PM

Hey, I've got that stamp. Maybe I should ask the second to highest bidder if they want it for $30! Half the price and I'd even pay the postage. I'd go for that. I've used it only once and it was a cute card but I haven't used it since.

As for the bidding, the first bidder had a proxy bid of $65.00. That was not the amount of their first bid. The repeat bidder just kept bidding until she overcame the proxy bid of the original bidder........just look at the bidding dates.

This is almost as bad as the lady that paid over $150 for haute couture not too long ago. I wish she was my best friend....hee hee hee!

GarnetJ 11-08-2005 10:32 PM

It's called PROXY bidding....

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
.... The original bidder kept upping her own bid (out of 10 bids, 9 are from one bidder) and then only once another bidder bid against her. ....... Can't remember the term for it, but it is mighty fishy. .......

The person with the long list of bids did NOT ACTUALLY place one bid after another. What he/she did was to bid a rather large maximum -- in this case it was at least $65. But ebay does not reveal your maximum bid unless someone else has topped that amount. Bidder #2, not knowing what the first bidder had offered, kept trying to come up with an amount larger than the first. It was the SECOND BIDDER who placed 7 bids in a row, each one for $5 or $10 more than the previous one. BUT, when bidder #2 placed a bid she/he would always get a message saying "You have already been outbid." The "Bid History" shows that the first bidder's amount was automatically bumped up by the Proxy, reflecting the amount that the second bidder had placed.
Hope this is clear. If not, look for more info on eBay

tnd151 11-08-2005 11:00 PM

I'm not sure about fishy; but that's sure one expensive stamp!

vdub_fan 11-09-2005 12:24 AM

wow! that's dedication boy..."A" single stamp...paying $66.00 and i thought i was an addict. lol

Laura7712 11-09-2005 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdub_fan
wow! that's dedication boy..."A" single stamp...paying $66.00 and i thought i was an addict. lol

And there is still 5 days to go!!!! Some people have more money than sense!!! I an constantly amazed at what people will pay for things!

Julia S 11-09-2005 05:28 AM

Someone please keep us up to date on the latest total....just in case we want to bid.;)

Rox71 11-09-2005 05:34 AM

Quote:

Someone please keep us up to date on the latest total....just in case we want to bid.;)

Julia, don't forget if it's that much in US dollars you're paying even more from Canada!

miss missy 11-09-2005 06:00 AM

in regards to it saying huge mixed lot, in the questions section now someone asked if there is more than one stamp and the seller says that they just put that so that it would come up when someone searches for those words...doesn't seem right to me

AshleyAnne 11-09-2005 06:07 AM

Shill Bidding

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
Look at the bid history. The original bidder kept upping her own bid (out of 10 bids, 9 are from one bidder) and then only once another bidder bid against her. I think someone is bidding to help the seller get the bid amount up. Can't remember the term for it, but it is mighty fishy. And there is still 5 days til the auction ends.

It's called SHILL bidding and it is not just against eBay policy it is illegal. The State of New York just prosecuted a bunch of people for doing this on eBay selling used cars and they're in jail right now.

Jenica 11-09-2005 07:29 AM

Some people have entirely too much money!! There isn't a single stamp, I would pay that for!! Wow!!

miss missy 11-09-2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyAnne
It's called SHILL bidding and it is not just against eBay policy it is illegal. The State of New York just prosecuted a bunch of people for doing this on eBay selling used cars and they're in jail right now.

I think this is just a case of the original bidder putting a very high bid in to begin with so when someone bids against them it just ups their bid...they still could have put a high bid in to help the original seller though, it all seems weird to me

row4d 11-09-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss missy
in regards to it saying huge mixed lot, in the questions section now someone asked if there is more than one stamp and the seller says that they just put that so that it would come up when someone searches for those words...doesn't seem right to me

It's not -- it's called keyword spamming and is a direct violation of eBay policy.

jeanstamping2 11-09-2005 09:29 AM

Seller's other listings

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninatar
Well, it is a nice stamp that is hard to get - but last bid (so far) in this one stamp is $66.00. Ouch!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Haiku-Bunny-Rubb...QQcmdZViewItem

Take a look at the other stuff this seller is selling. she has another stamp going for $25.00 for ONE stamp.

Farmwife 11-09-2005 09:38 AM

Doesn't look like any stamp that I would want!

GarnetJ 11-09-2005 12:12 PM

I totally agree.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura7712
..... Some people have more money than sense!!!

It seems that they have $$$$$ where their brains ought to be. But in fact, this price is not the highest auction price that I've seen mentioned here on Splitcoast. Awhile back there was a Halloween set going for over $200. A few months ago the SU Fashion Statements also sold for about $200.
I have a friend who sells (mostly t-shirts and board games) on ebay. He actually makes a living for the family, with four kids -- but says he is still waiting for some "crazy person" to buy an item at outlandish prices.