Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #1
Gabfest Goddess

Default Stamp and Scrap Expo 2019

I have been going to the expo for several years, to shop and take a class or two. This year's Denver show did not have as many vendors as some of the other shows around the country but some big names were there and there was still plenty to buy. My rant is about the same-ness of it all. Dies, die cuts, pre-made pages over and over. Not enough "hardware" like cutting mats, accessories for die cutting machines, stamps and albums. I will probably go again next year because I have extreme FOMO but my spending may be $0.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Crimping Master

I'm planning to attend the one in Sacramento in November. This will be my first time. I'm just glad they moved it from Downtown (which was terrible for parking and VERY unsafe) to CalExpo (which is the main fairgrounds here and much easier to navigate).

Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

I've been going to the one in Marlborough, MA since the first one (only been about 5 years). I also go to the CKC one in New Hampshire -- been going to that one for over a decade! I feel the same way and have stopped taking classes. I just browse and do some shopping. As it turns out, I couldn't go the Marlborough one this year and I was, at first, a bit upset. I thought I'd have serious withdrawal. I was wrong -- I didn't miss it at all! Will I go back next year -- of course!! I've noticed that my spending has been less and less each year -- that could be because I have LOTS of stuff and am also a SU demo. My purchases have become much less impulsive -- but I still love going and collecting my pins!
pepperann likes this post.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

I've never gone to one but was thinking about going to the one in Sacramento in November.

Featured Stamper 637
Phillippians 1:6
pepperann likes this post.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

Since those things never come to my city or even my state I haven't got experience with them but I do have the same feeling about the sameness of so much of what's out there for purchase. I'm becoming bored seeing the same things. It boils down to not seeing anything that makes you want to purchase anymore. Tim Holtz does a lot of original work but it doesn't match my personality. And apparently rubber has become expensive because the cost of stamps keeps going up.
Scrapjanny and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperann View Post
I'm planning to attend the one in Sacramento in November. This will be my first time. I'm just glad they moved it from Downtown (which was terrible for parking and VERY unsafe) to CalExpo (which is the main fairgrounds here and much easier to navigate).
My advice for a newbie is to avoid the early-bird rush and start shopping after 11 a.m. Very long lines to check out frustrate me so I end up skipping some booths entirely until later in the day. Also, I avoid the areas that look like garage sales full of paper and embellishments, way too much time to find maybe one treasure. Most booths have a vendor rep on hand to help you find stuff and answer questions. The make-n-takes are great ways to try new products and techniques. Have fun and bring a water bottle.
Mary Beth
pepperann and cdimick like this post.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the tips!

Featured Stamper 637
Phillippians 1:6
Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Glitter Guru

I’ve gone to the one in Virginia for four years to take a couple of classes and find something to explore. Reading class descriptions beforehand, looking up vendors and making a list of classes I might want to take or vendors to visit helps. (Classes often fill before the show.)

So far there’s always been at least one booth where there’s a demonstration that makes it worthwhile. This year I spent a couple of hours over two days at the Stamplistic booth watching a gilding polish and gilding wax demo to make backgrounds. (Can also use for stenciling and stamping. And it's water-based so easier clean-up.) The demo-er let us pick colors to show us unexpected and gorgeous results that work for clean & simple or more embellished, traditional cards and I asked 50,000 questions. Shopping was done there.

They also have a neat make-n-take using crystals and stacked layering images, when I want to sit down for 15-20 minutes.

In a class, dies were used as stencils - tracing through negative or positive die-cut leaves, doodling and then water coloring on an album cover.

For techniques, Nichole Petersen classes can be excellent. Most Expo classes are only an hour, but she packs in the info, provides detailed handouts and nicely packed give-away kits.

Looking up class reviews on the Expo website can be useful too. They’re somewhat hidden but if you email the Expo staff they’re terrific about responding and providing links to reviews or answering questions.

There are so many booths, at the Virginia show, anyway, that doing some homework beforehand can help unearth some gems - though just quick wandering through the showroom floor is how I found the gilding polish guru (and it’s easy).

Just my take; YMMV.
Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 10-04-2019 at 10:18 AM..
pepperann and cdimick like this post.