Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile Options for photos...

I recently went through and organized my photos again, and it was overwhelming!!! I literally have thousands of photos, and haven't put many in an album, because I wanted to see which I'd scrapbook first. Due to illness, I'm not able to scrapbook like I wanted, so it takes me a long time to get any done. So I am considering what to do for future photos? Do I burn them to cd on my computer (will it play on my dvd?) or do I get a cd made from the photo company (and will it show up on my dvd or computer, and can I make copies if I wanted?) OR do I just pick out the best and get a photo book made for the entire year? I think the most economical choice would be to burn them to cd on my computer, and make a flash drive for a back up... What do you do with your photos when you have so many?
Any experience with the other options?
Any ideas???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine in a spirial album using photo corners. Then as I needed to I would go and do an album from it. I f I put them on CD or in my computer they would never been seen again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

That may be true for me too, but I am running out of room to put stuff. I wondered if I put it on dvd or cd, I might could look at them on dvd player or computer. I think I have movie maker on the computer; might be fun to make a slideshow with music.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Well, so much for not getting any pictures made. My furbabies were adorable yesterday, all sitting together, so I have to get those pics made!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have literally thousands of photos, as I am the person that family on all sides of the family, give photos to. I have three large boxes of photos and old , old albums. I have always intended to do heritage albums, or albums for my adult kids showing them their history of grands, greats, etc. but even retired, can't keep up with on going yearly albums. So, don't know what I will do. DH says just toss them. What!!! It seems like it would be pretty expensive to scan them all. So I will be interested in what others are doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Why would it cost anything to scan them---except for time, of course?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of Photos

I have tons of photos, too, and I am the family repository for any no one else wants to deal with. I have more than 12 large boxes of them - going back into the 1800's. Before digital cameras, I would choose a few to get several copies of, to distribute to family members who were interested. I wanted to be sure that some of the photos would survive if anything happened to mine. But I am pretty much the only one who is really interested in preserving them, and they take up lots of storage space. I guess when I'm gone they will just be discarded - which is really a shame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Why would it cost anything to scan them---except for time, of course?
I would pay some one to do it. Electronic stuff is beyond me? I guess I would want them scanned to a disk or something. I was told about this process by someone who spoke to a club about downsizing and decluttering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

In that case, it probably would be expensive. It takes time, and you would be paying a bundle for labor. Have you thought about a junior high kid that would certainly know how to do it, and would be willing to take lots less than a professional? I have somewhat the same dilemma about some of my photos, but lucky enough that my eldest son is interested in genealogy and has taken over all the precious really old photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I actually have three of those large storage bins full!! Yikes! It is my moms, and her family, old, old old, WWI pphotos even! My real father and all theirs, my step dads and all his. My D.h and all theirs! No one else seems to want them! It is very overwhelming, Before paying anyone to scan them, I need to go through and pick and choose. Right now, I am just trying to scrap my kids when they were little, and keep up with the years going forward. That is a job all by itself, I think I am to 1986 with our family , and then behind a year, at 2016. Haven't even started with 2017. . So that is my predicament. Everyone in our families always gives me their photos, and the Bible's, too. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Heart

I had worried about getting things in order and labeling (who IS this?), etc. Then I updated one album. My kids really weren't that interested. My nephew said his mom always does the albums but they sit on the shelf. I suddenly realized someone else's photos are not my responsibility. I can choose to make albums of any pictures that I want, in any way or order that I want and only need to do so if it makes me happy! If no one after me is interested, I don't have any resposibility to preserve them. Freedom! Indecision, fear of judgement-- gone! Weight lifted! Now I can use some photographs to make cards (my brother's granddaughters LOVED the one I made for his birthday from his school pictures) or other projects or even donate or throw them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Wow! Sounds like I'm not the only one who has lots of pics. I guess it really doesn't hurt anything to just keep them stored away in boxes until I get to it one day. It's not like anyone but me will probably look at them anyway!I think I just need to cut down on the picture taking. (Good one, huh?) :rolleyes:I just have this mental picture of one day after we're gone, our nieces and nephews going through and tossing stuff, and saying, Why did she take so many cat pictures? lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Wow! Sounds like I'm not the only one who has lots of pics. I guess it really doesn't hurt anything to just keep them stored away in boxes until I get to it one day. It's not like anyone but me will probably look at them anyway!I think I just need to cut down on the picture taking. (Good one, huh?) :rolleyes:I just have this mental picture of one day after we're gone, our nieces and nephews going through and tossing stuff, and saying, Why did she take so many cat pictures? lol...
People will say the same thing about all my sunset and sunrise pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Glad I'm not the only one! lol...:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I may have posted something like this a while ago but here's what's worked for me. When my first niece had a baby 11 years ago, I started out digitally scrapping all her pics. I did 8 x 8 pages cuz that's what my printer would print. But I was printing 4 copies of every page, one for mom, grandmom etc. That got old and expensive real quick. A friend of mine turned me on to slideshows using a program called ProShow, found here Photodex - Create photo and video slideshows with ProShow You can download either version free to try. I started with the gold and moved up to Producer. Well 6 great nieces/nephews later year I get all their photos out of their cameras, phones, etc. on a usb stick and load them up and produce a slideshow of the previous year for each family. The slideshows are really nice and everyone gets to enjoy them as you can show the dvd on a full size tv. I give each niece a slideshow as a Christmas present every year. Then on Christmas night we all sit and watch them. You can add whatever music you want and apply various "transitions" between each pic, like page turning, fading etc. It's really easy to use as it has a wizard were you just load all your pics, pick some music and voila. You can customize as much or as little as you like. The girls also send copies to their bio-dads who live in different cities who don't get to see the little ones all the time. I also now have in the works pics of me, sis and bro growing up (60+ years worth). I've scanned them all and am now working on putting all them together. I'm in no way affiliated with this mfg just really like their product and how well it works for me. Any questions, email me at [email protected] .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Smile

I do have a program on my computer called "Movie Maker". Maybe I should look on youtube to see if they have any tutorials on how to use it. Thanks for the wonderful idea! I think a slideshow with music would be so cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing all your ideas. I too have lots of pictures to deal with in some manner. I like the idea of movie. Just need to find time.
Reply With Quote Likes