Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paper storage help

I am tring to find something for my 12x12 scrapbooking paper. I seen these cube organizer stackable plastic storage shelves. Has any one used these for you paper storeage. I did not know if they could hold the weight of the paper. It looks like they have these round plastic circles that hold them togeather. I add a photo so you know what I am talking about. If you do use them. can you let me know what you think and if they can hold a lot on a shelf and if you use something diffent can you post a photo of what you use and inof on it. I just need something. thank you. 
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb1de6d27b76a8e7fda61e977e81bc31.jpg (56.2 KB, 35 views)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used those cube organizer stackable storage shelves for a number of years.  The only problem I have had with them is, I have had to use zip ties to keep the ends from popping out the round plastic circles.  Since I put the zip ties on, I haven't had any problems.  I put about 7 or 8 12 x 12 pads in one cube.  I try to keep the weight evenly distributed so the shelves do not bow.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (03-24-2023)
Old 08-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I was thinking about the zip ties. I was not sure if the round plastic circles would stay. I did not knwo if they could hold the paper. So I will for sure use the zip ites. Sounds like you have a lot of  paper on the shelves. Can you post a photo of one so I can see it? Thank you for letting me know you have them. Sounds like they work. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 02:17 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you’d like something sturdy, a 4-cube Ikea Kallax unit could work. I have the previous version (Expedit) in an 8-cube version, and found shelf dividers to split the cubes horizontally. 12x12 paper can be stored flat or vertically in paper holders. It’s not how I store paper any longer but works well. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have been looking at the Ikea ones. I am not sure if I have the room for the cube and not sure If I want to pay that much for one. That is a big reason I am trying to see what everyone has. I love the Ikea one don't get me wrong. I want to put it by color of paper and I think I have to get one paper holder for each color am I correct on that? I did look and I think the paper holder that fits in the cub is $50.00 each. If I need to get one for each color then that can add up. Let me know if I am way off on this lol. Thank you for letting me know about this one. I have been looking at them .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 03:43 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Paper holders can be horizontal or vertical, and cost depends on type and company - but if you’re thinking of the Ikea cube inserts, it’s up to you whether you separate every color. I don’t, and my 12x12 is stored differently than 8.5x11 so it depends on what works for you.

Totally Tiffany has cardboard boxes for vertical storage like these:

I used to use plastic boxes similar to those but found them awkward to pull out and go through. Eventually I went with a rolling cart so I can sit in front of it and flip through paper in 13x13 hanging files. But patterned paper isn’t my mainstay. 

You can find horizontal storage for Kallax not just on Ikea but on Etsy and other places by googling something like, “ikea paper inserts kallax” and a bunch will pop up. And maybe some older threads about paper storage can be linked for you. I can look later if others don’t chime in.And maybe others who have used the wire storage will weigh in. 

Organization can be an ongoing puzzle! :shock:
Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 09-01-2020 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: Edited to add about searching for threads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Yes it can be ongoing for sure. I will try and see what comes up for the other paper inserts. I will also look for the other threads. I just dont know what I want to do. I think that would help if I did lol. Thank you for all the info again. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by summerfunView Post
Yes it can be ongoing for sure. I will try and see what comes up for the other paper inserts. I will also look for the other threads. I just dont know what I want to do. I think that would help if I did lol. Thank you for all the info again. 

You can say that again (helping if we knew what we wanted)! The only thing I’d add is to visualize yourself using whatever system you’re considering. You’re a crafter so have a good imagination! Literally see yourself using the storage, where you’d sit, reaching for papers, etc. 

I first stored 12x12 patterned paper in an Ikea cube in plastic vertical holders similar to Totally Tiffany ones. But the papers didn’t face me, so flipping through them was awkward, or a holder was taken out of the cube and put on my computer desk, pushing things out of the way. But the holder sides were tall so I couldn’t see all of the pattern. Even if the papers were solid colors it would have felt awkward.

If I had made pretend I was using the holders before buying, I may have realized it wouldn’t be a good fit. Luckily I hadn’t spent lots of $$, and it helped me realize I wanted 12x12 vertical and facing me, so that eliminated many options. 

Since then for other storage I’ve gone through the exercise - pretending to use it mentally, sometimes physically.

It’s one thing to think a storage solution is neat or pretty or you admire someone who uses it. It’s a whole other ballgame if it will be the best fit. But you’ll get there!

Last edited by bjeans; 09-01-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Very True! 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use the Totally Tiffany Paper Handlers and Cropper Hopper paper holders.  They fit nicely on the cube storage from Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

The only problem with them is I don't have the space to put them on something or in. I need something that can be standing alone. Thank you I did take a look at them. I just don't have the room to put them. I would need a lot of them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 02:09 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

The only problem with them is I don't have the space to put them on something or in. I need something that can be standing alone. Thank you I did take a look at them. I just don't have the room to put them. I would need a lot of them.

They fit in the 4-cube Ikea Kallax.The Ctopper Hoppers were the ones I mentioned above - couldn’t remember the name. Dividers can be added to separate colors and types. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 04:08 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I would love the have the cube I just don't have the space to fit something like that. I wish I could I just don't have the room :(.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 04:10 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Ah - so the wire cubes take up less space, it sounds like. The 4-cube Kallax is about 30” wide. 

Last edited by bjeans; 09-03-2020 at 04:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 04:22 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Yes they do take up less space. I have a huge book self type thing. My mom gave it to me so I don't want to get rid of it. I do use it for my albums and some other things. It takes up a lot of space. I would love one of the cubes. I even thought of the Michaels paper storage. I just did not know how much paper you can fit in one. I think you can get move shelves I think if I am correct. I am guessing the weight would be no different than the wire cubes and I would think it would take up about the same space. I just have to look in the cost of both and see if I can some how get the cube to work some how and then the cost lol. It seems to always come down to cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 05:20 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Solid cubes weigh more than wire, but if wire or solid interior measurements were roughly 13x13” the amount of paper they’d hold would theoretically be the same, whether from Michaels, Walmart, Ikea, Target, Wayfair, etc. 

I’d want to see wire in person to check stability, push down to check bowing, like bjy1947 posted she was careful about, etc. Actually, I’d check the return policy, since I don’t go into stores yet!  

If your big book shelves can be adjusted to higher than 12”, the paper handlers would fit on them. You’ll figure it out. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I did not even think of the shelves I have. They can be adjusted. I might just have to look at that. I really like the Ikea paper holders. I wonder if you can get them cheeper than Ikea ones. I don't want to spend $300 dollars or more just for paper storage. I know what I will be doing today. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I did not even think of the shelves I have. They can be adjusted. I might just have to look at that. I really like the Ikea paper holders. I wonder if you can get them cheeper than Ikea ones. I don't want to spend $300 dollars or more just for paper storage. I know what I will be doing today. Thank you.

Do you have the URL/link or name of the Ikea paper holder? 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

No I would have to go on the site and look for it. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Okay - I just don’t see one, just some on Etsy and other sites. BTW, the 4-cube Kallax unit just went on sale for $34.99, not $50.00. But it sounds like with luck your current shelves will work. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I will take a look at the Kallax unit for that price. I am still looking around and seeing what will work in my space and the cost is one other thing I have to look at. I am going to look at the unit. Thanks for letting me know about the sale. What place did you see them on sale?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2023, 04:52 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 12x12

Buy the best storage you can find even if you spend more. Trust me when I say you are going to spend more then you think or want so buy something that's strong. Michael's furniture is okay if you don't have too much paper. I took one of their tidy towers, bought a pack of extra shelves to insert in every slot and turned it on its side so I would have vertical storage. It works but I am putting money aside for IKEA storage because it works better and holds a good amount of weight. If you store paper in iris cases you will have to go through it all the time and I hated looking for that one sheet or one set. And if you stack on top of each other then you have to dig out the one you want and it's almost always on the bottom. This is very time consuming and when you switch to something different....expensive. Go for what you know you will use even if it takes time to save up for. It's worth it in the end if you use it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by MarieKarsner:
bzzzeee (03-18-2023), Scrapjanny (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 11:23 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I find the wire cubes very strong. They are stacked and hold all my metal punches, which are very heavy. The extra wire grid shelves are zap strapped in place and hold well. I haven't had any of the plastic connectors pop off or break. For paper storage I would recommend putting a sheet of cardboard on the bottom of each shelf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0100.jpeg (78.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ikea & Container Store go well together

I have the older version of the Ikea Kallax Cube storage. (called Expedit) From what I understand, my older style is just a tiny bit smaller regarding the storage area in each cube. I heard the newer version being sold now (Kallax) is better for the 12x12 storage.

I'm keeping those shelves, because they suit my purpose. I store TWO of the Container Store MEDIUM Multi-purpose Bins, side by side in each of the Expedit cubes. These hold 12x12" paper, 6x6" paper, die sets that I put in zipper bags that are 4mil thick & 6x8" in size. I also store 8.5" x 11" card stock in these.

I like these bins because they have very sturdy handles to lift and carry. There's one on either side.
I usually buy them on sale, or if I have a gift card or coupon for them. I use these in my upright freezer as well as storage under my sinks. I've never had one break or crack on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multi-purpose bins smaller size..jpg (72.6 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2023, 06:36 AM   #25  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

For 12 x 12 dsp, I like to use the polypropylene sleeves made for LP albums. Each package of dsp, or each color of cs, is in a sleeve, then stored in 12 x 12 “boxes”, divided by themes or seasons, such as spring, fall, winter, Christmas, etc. The boxes are a clear plastic, designed for storing 12 x 12 papers.
The same can be done with 8.5 x 11 using sheet protectors. There are now some on the market made without the notebook holes, though I haven’t purchased any. I just recently finished using up some old ones I had saved from my years of public school service. For cardstock that comes in an assortment, this is especially helpful for sorting and labeling. My 8.5 x 11 cardstock is mostly in file folders, labeled, in filing cabinet drawers, each drawer holding a specific color range.
Reply With Quote Likes