Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat embossing causes staining

Hi there,

I'm new to heat embossing.
Im trying to do a glow in the dark emboss on a yellow card stock.
I'm using WOW embossing powder, clear watermark stamp pad.

I was hoping to do 2 rounds of embossing in order to have a stronger glow in the dark effect but it just makes my cardstock look awful. Its as if it soaked through.
It happens even if i do it once :(

How do i do it right ?
How long do YOU emboss for ? and how closely do you keep your heating tool ?

Attaching pictures of the BACK.
Front looks just fine!
First photo shows a card that was entirely embossed.
And the second one had only a small section embossed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 15.56.19.png (1.42 MB, 39 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 15.56.09.png (1.62 MB, 41 views)

Last edited by zapfit; 02-25-2021 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: clarification
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you trying to emboss the entire front of the card? It's unclear from your photos. Are you showing us the front of the embossed cardstock, or the back? I can't actually see any embossing, and the staining is definitely unusual.. How long are you holding the heat gun near your paper? It should only be a few seconds - only until you see the powder melt. Other questions: How thick is your paper? Thicker is better. How long are you warming up your heat tool?

Below is a link for a quick YouTube tutorial.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Definitely if you overheat it, it will melt into the cardstock. There's even a technical in our tutorials called Burned Batik where that look is intentional. You might find the photos in it helpful as they show the embossed and over-embossed stages: Burned Batik Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

How are you adding your second layer? Are you stamping again and adding more powder? In general I find that that when I'm heating more than once, if using a couple of different colours, that I need to be very careful or my first colour is likely to go over. But in that case I'm not trying to layer them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casa1View Post
Are you trying to emboss the entire front of the card? It's unclear from your photos. Are you showing us the front of the embossed cardstock, or the back? I can't actually see any embossing, and the staining is definitely unusual.. How long are you holding the heat gun near your paper? It should only be a few seconds - only until you see the powder melt. Other questions: How thick is your paper? Thicker is better. How long are you warming up your heat tool?
Photos show the back.
First photo shows a card that was entirely embossed.
And the second one had only a small section embossed.

I was embossing for maybe less than 3 min ?
I was trying to hold the gun as far as possible. Also tried low and high heat settings and same result.
Lower setting had a slightly better result

I warmed up my tool for maybe 10 seconds before embossing.

Cardstock im using is :

65 lb.
Premium cardstock from Darice
Smooth texture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Definitely if you overheat it, it will melt into the cardstock. There's even a technical in our tutorials called Burned Batik where that look is intentional. You might find the photos in it helpful as they show the embossed and over-embossed stages:

How are you adding your second layer? Are you stamping again and adding more powder? In general I find that that when I'm heating more than once, if using a couple of different colours, that I need to be very careful or my first colour is likely to go over. But in that case I'm not trying to layer them.
I need to clarify that my photo shows the BACK of the cardstock.
I tried doing 1 layer and 2 layers and both are bad looking.
Front looks great, but it soaks through my cardstock and the back looks awful...
I wanted to use it for the inside of a card that was cut in cricut and write something on it but its just looks UGLY!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never been very good at applying embossing powder. I tend to get little flecks of it stuck where I don't want it.

But I did learn early on to heat it carefully and quickly, just until it barely starts to melt. At first, I used too much heat and it would melt and turn into what looked like an oily stained halo around the embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

My gut feel is starting with thicker card stock. Any lower weight paper will get flimsy and “wilted” quickly.

Also, I learned at a class years ago to “rotate” the paper front to back as you are embossing (to prevent the wilting and give you a better finished product).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

If you love the front of your project, why not just attach it to a card blank or to another piece of yellow cardstock?

If you are holding the heat gun to your project for 3 minutes, that's way too long. In fact, I would reverse the 3 min for embossing and 10 seconds for preheating your tool. Allow a couple of minutes for your tool to heat up, but only use if for a few seconds. I don't know what tool you're using and I'm no expert, but embossing usually requires the higher heat setting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for the link, Cook22. I actually spent a few minutes searching for photos of over-heated embossing, because that's what I suspected was happening, but couldn't find any. And now I have a fun new project idea. I'm going to try it with colored embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

All heat guns are not created equal and some of the cheaper ones run too hot IMO. That could be your issue.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2021, 05:04 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I am going to agree with the cardstock weight. I would not go with less that 80 but I would prefer 110lb. And yes, try to go a bit from under also to prevent warp.

I love embossing but you definitely need to hit and run. Only as long as you have to. You can do more heat but you cant take it back. I go at an angle. I find it easier to see it cook. And I keep the gun moving slowly. Never stop still. Double embossing is trickier. I only do that when I want a bulkier look and I dont have a thick EP in that color. But not on like thin sentiments.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2021, 02:43 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love heat embossing; makes cards look so pretty. Go into youtube and type in "heat embossing" and several videos will pop up to choose from. You'll learn something. My craft room is next to a bathroom and that is where I set up my embossing station when doing it. I do tend to get some of the powder around.

I hold small items with a wooden clothes pin so as not to burn myself. I bought my heat tool and collection tray at J's with 50% off coupon. I prefer the heat tool that has the little metal stand on it. I use the Versamark clear watermark stamp pad most of the time with colored powder. It's 'juicy' enough for heat embossing. You don't need a tray; can just put excess on a piece of paper and fold to pour powder back into bottle.

It's fun and doesn't take long to master.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

If it's soaking through or staining the back of your cardstock, as it appears in your photos, I think your cardstock is too thin. You also might have heated it too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=zapfit;22056798]Hi there,
I'm new to heat embossing

Zapfit, the first thing you need to do is swipe the cardstock around where you are going to ink with an anti-static bag so when you point the heat at the stamped area you don't scatter embossing powder around where you don't want it. I never use cardstock under 85 lb. and mostly use 110 lb., by the way. Make sure you heat the embossing in such a way that you can SEE it melting and rightaway pull the heat gun away. I usually stand at a window or lamp because if you can't SEE it melting, you for sure will over-heat it and wreck it. I blow the heat on my hand until it starts to get hot so I don't blow away the embossing powder and so I can be sure it is hot enough. The actual melting happens in 2 or 3 seconds. Watch and pull the heat away inmediately when the melting FIRST happens. I seldom make a card that doesn't have embossing....I did more than my share of wrecking cards when I began this .adventure. Good luck!

Last edited by Bahb; 04-19-2021 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Trying to shorten the length.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Need suggestions for Happy Birthday die that WORKS

I'm hoping to find a very plain Happy Birthday die that can become my work-horse. Do you have a favorite? I must have a few hundred dies I don't have a bit of trouble with, but the 9 happy Birthday dies I have ALWAYS make me struggle. I HAD a favorite that disappeared, and can't remember the brand, darn it!

I finally found the perfect one in Impression Obsession. it;s the first die I've had that pops right out when you first take it out of the Big Shot. others I;ve had to dig out with a straight pin

Last edited by Bahb; 05-06-2021 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Add informartion
Reply With Quote Likes