Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you take to a crop?

So I am going to a 6-midnight crop tonight. I am bringing a box of paper, portable cassette tape case for ink pads and a crop in style XXL.

Seems like a lot!

How much do you haul to a crop?????????

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

i don't go to crops

But, when I go to retreats..I take everything

Also, I don't know your scrapbooking system, but what I do is sort the pictures you are going to scrap BEFORE you go, and ONLY bring them. It helps if you can go ahead and group them by page. It saves time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

yeah, I went through my picture box and got it ready. I only take one of the CM small sort boxes. It's just all the other "stuff" that I may need that would be perfect for the page, ya know?!?!

I still can't decide what to do about the ribbon issue. Mine is all on a rack....it's way fuller now, but here's the idea.

Last edited by emilymomto3boys; 11-09-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, That's why I only go to things that are weekenders...about once or twice a year. It's hard to "leave things behind"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually have to make two trips because I take so much stuff! I have a bag from Joanns and a smaller one for paper, my black shoulder su bag, and a huge blue bag I stuff everything else in. And tonight I need that much, if not more, because I'm working on 4 calendars for Christmas presents. Thank goodness I got the spots, or I'd have even more! HTH Most of the other ladies seem to have as much, if not more, than I do. If I had the xxl bag, I might not need as many. Hmm, might have to add it to my wish list....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't take everything b/c I have so much stuff. Seriously, I would need a truck. I can only be successful at crops if I make up kits beforehand so that I can be sure to have everything I want. If I feel like experimenting once I'm there, I'm stuck with whatever I've brought, so sometimes I'll only take new products, or only take certain sets, etc., just so I can experiment. Have fun!!
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

About the ribbon, grab a few spools that you know you are most likely to use. And for the others, you can add the ribbon when you get back home. If you have the basic layout started, adding some embellishments later should be pretty easy, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

UMMM everything I can fit!! I have theCreative Memories bags one of each they have had in the past 7 years and I usually take at least 4 of them with me when I go to crop....each has a purpose.....

As for the ribbon - a lot of times I end up doing a layout and embellishing with things like that that I did not bring with me when I return home....There is no way I could bring even 1/4 of all I own so I usually do all I can and add things like that later and also journal later depending on my time!

HAVE FUN EMILY!!! Wish I were going to a crop tonight!!!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't forget your stamps I usually take my Crop n Style Stamp n Store bag with all my punches, embellies and ribbon, my inks are in a seperate case, and I take my CM bag with my page kits and stamps. I do most of my scrapping at crops, so I tend to keep my stuff pretty portable.
Melanie in NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I've downsized - kinda. I take Stampin Spots, and for brads and eyelets, I use those tic tac holders from Walmart, that way I always have something. As far as ribbon, I have 1-2 yrds of ribbon wrapped around a floss holder, and then they are all put in a small container, that way I have all my ribbon and fibers. If I run out, I can finish at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is a hard one for me. I don't go to crops all that much, but when I have it seems I have to pack my large suitcase of all my stampin supplies my crop hopper with paper, and another small suitcase with all my other stuff like my embellishments and glue and tools and sizzix.

Thing is i go to a crop where there is nothing to use but what you bring and the ladies there love to use my supplies.

When I have gone to my lss to crop, I bring very little as I buy what I need.

But my problem is when there is a restriction on how much to bring I can't make up my mind. I have tried making kits in advance, but I change my mind so much about the project I am doing I wish I had brought something eles.

I need a crop guru to help me pack lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2005, 05:05 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm bad for bringing almost everything! I usually bring a over the shoulder bag and an iris cart on wheels. lol Depending on location you can wheel it right in!! If I were more organized I might try to work on a specific project. lol Who has time to be organized...I'm doing good if I have time to get out of the house!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

For crops I really try to focus on just one album. I have been doing my wedding album recently and I have focused on just a few colors throughout the album, that helps to get the stuff to crops and also give a consistent flow throughout the album. I know its harder with other albums though.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking OMGosh!! You don't even *want* to know...

The amount of *crap* that I haul to a crop is just *OBSCENE*!!!! Last time I went, I had my usual travel case - one of the giant Fiskars totes with the rip-stop nylon. Then on top - I have two of the CM 12-slot "photo-file" cases. Except in *my* case? Yeah - those hold *EMBELLISHMENTS* instead of photos!!!! I've got them organized by category (which I *highly* recommend doing - I just *love* what I did!! As soon as I figure out my new digicam, I'll photo and post it!! **IT JUST ARRIVED!!**) Then I have my ribbon file which has 3-yard lengths of my fave ribbons. Usually there is something thrown over my shoulder, too - that holds the stamps & pads I take.

Of course - none of that compares to all of the nonsense that's being left at home!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I've never been to a crop. The idea of having to pack everything I might need freaks me out. I think it would be lots of fun, and I'm envous of all the ladies I see in there scrapping and having fun, but it plain makes me shake to think about it. I guess I'll just stay a "SAHSB", a Stay-At-Home-Scrapbooker!

Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

My problem is my ink I take all my ink because I never know which I will use! I take my XXL and another bag and all my ink,too much I know but I try to down size! I won't even say how many stamp sets I take!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2005, 06:02 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I went to a weekend scrap retreat last month and the only ink I took was the two chalk pads that each have 8 colors in them plus a black stayzon. The colors in the chalk pads go with just about all 48 colors we have. They don't "match" but they do coordinate. I was very pleased. If you pre-plan your pages before you go it is a lifesaver and you'll have alot less to bring. I just put my photos, paper and embellishments for that spread all together in a page protector and assembled when I got there. The only other things I brought were the hardware kit, 1 pkg of each of the asst. 12x12 cardstock. basics like scissors, cutter, adhesive (lots) and things like eyelets and button, brads. This all fit in my cropper hopper xxl and then I had a SU bag with my alpha stamps and EFP sets in it. Any thing I was missing I just added when I got home and that was mostly some ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Keep in mind that the ink spots are extremely portable. I have them just for traveling. Just don't forget a black one. Or the marker set if you have it is not very space hoggy. Take only a few stamp sets and be creative with them. You'd be surprized how limited supplies force creativity. I also coordinate with other SU loving friends who brings what set.

Have Fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

When going to a crop I plan plan plan. I use those 12x12 plastic sleves and I put everything that I am going to use for a layout in it. I take the pics and go through my stuff and pick out things I think I will want to use and I always pick out several things that way when I get going on it I have a lot of choices to use. I put ribbon stamps what ever I think I might want to use on that layout in it. I usally try and have about 5 or 6 of these done to take to the crop. Then of course I pack up the ink and all the kind of stuff in my rollaway bag.This works great for card prodjects too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Default crops

I usually bring 2 shopping bags full. I refuse to bring more than I can carry in one load to the car.
I usually go every other week to a friend's house for the evening, 8-11pm. All of my photos are cropped and organized before I go. I bring maybe 2 dozen sheet of cardstock, a few stamp sets, a few ink pads, a little box with tools & adhesive, my paper cutter, and maybe a few sheets of stickers. And if the friend has asked me to bring anything specific obviously that too!
I'm going tonight, and I'm only planning on finishing 1-2 pages because I'm going to be cutting out a lot of stamped images to embellish with. Sometimes I will bring more stuff if I haven't planned which pages to do. But it's fun to try to complete a page using only a minimal array of materials. If I really can't finish a page without a "certain something", I'll just finish it the next day at home, no big deal. It's more about good company and swapping ideas and having your ego boosted after completing a cute layout.

- krista
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #21  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmargo
When going to a crop I plan plan plan. I use those 12x12 plastic sleves and I put everything that I am going to use for a layout in it. I take the pics and go through my stuff and pick out things I think I will want to use and I always pick out several things that way when I get going on it I have a lot of choices to use. I put ribbon stamps what ever I think I might want to use on that layout in it. I usally try and have about 5 or 6 of these done to take to the crop. Then of course I pack up the ink and all the kind of stuff in my rollaway bag.This works great for card prodjects too.
yup-me too

I precut my pics and do a mental layout.
My friend is one of those bring everything you can types, and I always get more done than she does b/c she spends half the time looking for stuff and spreads her crap out everywhere so I end up having to step around her cases to get up. I usually get 2 12x12 2-page layouts done with embellishments while she usually works on 1 page the whole time, but spends a lot of time sorting pics, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Wink I'm Pitiful!

I crop once a month (at least) with my mom, two daughters, and sometimes invited others. Being the one who "started all this mess" - as I'm FREQUENTLY reminded - I have the most "stuff". We try to coodinate with each other who is going to bring what, but it mainly falls to me. Now mind you, I don't care in the least! I love cropping with my friends and family, and I feel a great responsibilty to help all these people succeed! Scrapbooking is such an important part of my life right now, that if I have to make 100 trips to the car, or rent a U-Hall, I wouldn't care!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default going to crops

I usually go to 2 crops /month and find that if I am an organized it's easier to make a page. I can't think at crops so I need to get photos and paper matched up ahead of time. I take some fiber and brads and a few embellishments in page kits. If I am going to stamp, an old cassette holder works great for carrying ink pads. Rarely do I journalize at crops so I finish pages at home. I wish I had an organize way to take more ribbons and fiber. I have too many to transport and too many to leave out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep it as simple as possible, since I have way too much stuff. I bring a large amount of pictures, my CM cutting tools, my cm power sort box, sticky notes and a pen. I sort through my pics and decide which ones go an each page. I crop the pics and write notes on the stickies as to my ideas for the page. I stack them up in between the pages in my power sort box. Once I'm home I get out one page and my pics are already cropped and my ideas listed. Then I can finish the page with what ever paper, stamps and emblishments I need. This makes things go a lot quicker for me at home.

Visit My Gallery

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I bring everything I have! I have my memory mate filled (to the hilt), then my NaNavigator, my paper taker, acessory binder & perfect paper holder. I have everything organized so that it is easy to find and that noone has to be bothered by it. I usually am able to get 4 to 10 pages done (depending on my mood) in a 4 hour session and no I do scrapbook the CM way which is simple and traditional so I do not have all the embellishments and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with Krazy Kel. If I try to haul everything to the crop I don't get anything done. I do better if I just focus on layouts and paper choices. Then when I get home I put it all together and finish the page. But that is also because I go to a CM crop and don't want to draw attention to myself as a demonstrator. When I start my SU crops, I will be hauling the shop up there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

I wish I knew how to plan better! I am still a beginner, so I take my XXL Crop in Style bag with my PSB Binder full of stickers and embellishments (I am addicted to anything metal!) and another shoulder bag with my box of photos and paper carriers.

I haven't taken any stamps yet to a crop, but I am getting ready to go to my first weekend retreat and I just scanned all my stamps so I can look through them and decide what I need when I am there. I will try to take only the sets I think I'll need, but that is still so very hard for me. The scrapbooking B&B is near a SBS, so I can always run out for more paper if I need it --I have some much of everything else!

Someone early in the thread sadi they use an old cassette tape box to hold their ink pads--what a GREAT idea...i thin my DH still has a travel one that he refuses to throw away...if not, garage sale season is alsmost upon us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

The first crop I went to it was sickening how much I took. I was so overwhelmed that I barely got anything done, that was at a 12 hour crop. You name I took it. My navigator, my paper taker, my tray chic from crop in style. four large handle totes. Plus two sterilite contairs the shoebox size. 20 stamps sets, a really large paper cutter, and all of my SU ink pads, plus one more bag. I brought everything but the kitchen sink. The funny thing is I think I was the one who brought the least. One lady had five xxl totes with plus more. AHHHH!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #29  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

oh have fun emily!!! I havent been to a crop yet but i would try to take just what i needed and add the ribbon later! have a great time, NR
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I'm going to a 12 hour crop this weekend so I have been trying to get ready. I bought some 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags so I have been making up some packets to take. I placed my pictures, paper, embellishments and ribbon in the bags. This week I plan to set down and pick out a sketch to use with each set of pictures and try and type up my jounaling and get it printed out. I'm also going to decide on card projects to take in case I need a break from scrappin'. I don't want to take lots of stamps or ink pads so I plan to limit myself to a couple of sets and get some ideas from the gallery. Hopefully by doing all of this I can cut back on the amount of stuff I take. We will be close to an LSS so I will be able to go and buy stuff if I forget something and have to have it. My problem is I'm always worried I will run out of things to do. Which is total joke because I always bring way more than I can finish but I still worry I might need more to do so I do tend to over pack so far as pictures go.

All children are gifted...some just open their package sooner than others.
Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's my two cents - I usta attend CM crops quarterly - which was a lot for me. If I took it, it had to fit into one of those plastic plano tool chests on wheels (they sell for $34.99 and work great for crops!) The bottom part holds CS/Kits, three middle drawers for embellishments/stickers/markers, and the top holds all my tools. This was before I really got into the stamping. Now I am not sure it would be big enough but that was my "rule" the last time I did one in April 2005. Now that I have my own scrappn corner I feel selfish and want to stay home to work on my books! Hee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I take my XXL fully loaded. I scrap at friend's houses or at Local Scrap stores in my area. I like scrapping there because they have what I need if I forget something. I find that it's easier that way. I also load up just the stamps and pads I will be using. The stamps are what make my XXL super heavy. I keep all my ribbon in a Cropper Hopper on either the ribbon bobbins or the embroidery floss cards. At home, I keep my ribbon in clear ribbon holders by kind.
Reply With Quote Likes