Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critique my layouts please

I've done two one page layouts. I'm not sure scrapbooking is my thing.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything right? Do you have any suggestions?

Note: I'm a more stampy scrapper than anything, and love stamping so plan to stay that way. I don't have access to a Cricut or die cutter, and don't want to buy one.

Here are my layouts (you can comment here or on them):

My very first page! by Skittl1321 at Splitcoaststampers Here I don't like the journaling block and feel the title letters seem to fade into the page. Should I have inked the edges?

Moving In by Skittl1321 at Splitcoaststampers I know you can't read the journaling- at this point, that's not my concern. I loved this page until I glued it down, now I'm not really feeling it. I off set the pictures because there wasn't enough room for a wide mat and I didn't want no mat at all. I wish I had some vanilla paper, but tried to disguise the white with the paint splatters.

Thanks so much for your comments!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I like both layouts. I think you are right that you could ink the edges of 'graduate' but it isn't necessary. I like that you only have 1 picture on the page.

I really like the paper you chose for the second layout-I haven't done our moving album yet (although we are in the house for 5 years:rolleyes: )but I think the pictures speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Ok,

You have great pages!

Graduation -- needs some constrast matting to make things pop -- matte the letters, photo and journal box. Black or dark burgundy (?) to match the paper.

As for the journaling that you can't really see on the moving page -- you can journal on computer/word program, print, cut and paste it over the handwritten! Or just handwrite it on cardstock and do the same -- paste it over.

Hope this helps and keep on scrapping!!!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for the ideas- I'll try to incorporate them into the next set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I tried more pages in the "moving" series but with better contrast mounting. I hate how you can barely see the patterned paper, but I think it looks so much better with the "real" mat rather than the offset one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinknbluemomView Post
Ok,

You have great pages!

Graduation -- needs some constrast matting to make things pop -- matte the letters, photo and journal box. Black or dark burgundy (?) to match the paper.

Susan
I agree with pinknbluemom about this page.

I also think for the painting page that the journaling should be written on light paper or in a light ink on the dark paper.

Embellishments would add a lot of interest to the pages, and could give a cohesive feel to all the elements on the page.

Your pages really are very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Nice job! I don't think you should give up just yet. I do agree that on the graduate layout, since you only used one photo, you should mat it with a solid color cardstock. To make the journaling stand out more, you could also mat the journaling on a solid piece of cardstock (in other words, double mat it). And for me, I love embellishments -- don't know if that's your style or not -- but I probably would have added a grouping of 3 of something, whether it's brads, eyelets, Prima flowers, buttons, etc. The flowers would look nice since there are flowers in the paper you used in the lettering.

For the moving layout, I agree that the pics should be matted with a "real" mats and you mentioned not being able to see the journaling, so you're aware of that issue. Like someone else suggested, you can either print or rewrite it onto white or some other light color and just glue it over the original journaling. I *love* how you did the letters on that page and added the glitter!

Another thing to keep in mind, particularly with the moving page, is color selection -- meaning look at the colors in the pictures and try to coordinate your paper with the pictures. That will make the pics stand out even more.

Hope I've helped a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michael's/Joann's/Hobby Lobby; depends on who has the best sales!!

I too am a struggling scrapbooker, I'm so afraid that there will be something that I like better in the future that I just don't scrapbook at all:confused:. That being said, I think I agree with everyone that has commented but wanted to throw something out to you regarding the moving in page; I think if you created a circle to "combine" the four pics it would tie everything together. Maybe create a Certificate of Occupancy and put the date you moved in??? HTH!! don't give up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't worry that you don't "love" every page you do. Sometimes I can see something in my head and when I get it done on paper I don't like it nearly as much. It's OK. I think you are doing great for your first two layouts. Just keep at it and you'll be fine. I think it's about the pictures anyway - I tend to be much simple in my layouts and not as "artsy" though I'm always jealous when I see great works of art from other scrappers. I'll get there someday - or maybe not. And that's OK. Just remember, there is no wrong way to scrap. Whatever you do to preserve the memories is what counts.

Keep it up - it will get easier. Also, remember things like dimensionals. They will make titles and embellishments POP. Sometimes jst adding a few eyelets or brads or a twist of ribbon gives things that perfect touch. Whatever you would do for card making can usually work just as well in scrapbooking - just do it on a larger scale. Keep at it - you will do fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

I was a scrapper first then a stamper- so scrappin is still my first love... I take pictures of my kids with the page layouts in mind! LOL
I look back at my first works and think- i could have done this and that...i wish i could re-do things alot- but that's part of the process....you learn as you go!
~Sara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

On the moving page what if you mounted the four pics on one piece of solid card stock? On the grad page I would mount the title on a piece of card stock, and also mount the photo.

I think you are off to a great start. Pic up a couple of s/b mags ans see what you like and copy it, it is a great way to learn.
Reply With Quote Likes