Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBTC34 - September 8, 2006

SBTC34 - September 8, 2006

{Self } Centered - Scrapbooking about YOU!
This is the name of a book by Pinecone Press Books and it focuses on the importance of completing pages about yourself. I havenít read it or even flipped through it, but it certainly caught my eye and gave me a bit of a guilt trip about my lack of pages about me. I do believe that the particulars and specifics and the personal recollections of YOUR world are very important. Really getting to know you and your thoughts and dreams - these are intimate and special and I think it could be the most precious thing you could give to your family.

~ SO ~ Here is a challenge to scrap a self centered page-
scrapbook something about your neighborhood or house when you were growing up.
You may or may not have a picture of your house or neighborhood, but maybe you have a picture of something or a stamp or background paper that reminds you of your neighborhood. Here are some questions to trigger your memory: Was your neighborhood rural or suburban, green or concrete? What did it look like first thing on a summer morning? What did it sound like at night? Do you remember a new family moving into your neighborhood? Did you ever go door-to-door selling things to your neighbors or set up a lemonade stand? Did you move from your neighborhood? How did that feel? Would you like to have raised your kids in a neighborhood like the one you grew up in? Who was your best friend in your neighborhood? Did you play at your house, or mostly in the streets and playgrounds and fields? What do you remember about your friendís house? About your friendís family? Did you have a secret path you used to take to go to meet your friend? What sidewalk games did you play? If you jumped rope, do you remember any rhymes? How was your neighborhood lit - street lamps, porch lights?

And finally, I challenge you to work on a Self Centered Album. I started one this week of myself and DH. And itís HARD! Itís much easier for me to focus on my family and scrapbook about them, but I am challenging myself to share my thoughts and feelings and dreams and memories and those of my DH, and slowly but surely I WILL fill the page protectors of this album!
So get yourself started creating pages to record more than just the Christmas party or soccer team; scrapbook your everyday thoughts and the funny, little quirky things that make you who you are.

After you upload your pages into your gallery, be sure to include a link in this thread. Remember to observe No Upload Sunday and include your page size and SBTC34 in your keywords, separated by commas. If you have any questions, please post to this thread as well.

I canít wait to see your {Self} Centered pages!

Guest hostess this week, Mary R

Last edited by MaryR; 09-07-2006 at 08:22 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #2  
Preggo Brain

Location: Trying to spend as much time as possible watching Xander and Xavier grow and learn!

You go girl! Posting early and everything! hehehe!

Great theme and challenge! I need to add this to my to do list!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great theme Mary. This could go a million ways - can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

Wonderful idea Mary!! I couldn't agree more!! It is a challenge for most people to scrap themselves and I think it's the best gift I can pass onto my family! I've got a few pages in my gallery...I thought I could share them with you?
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=210569&cat=5822

and this one is more recent:
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=344707&cat=500&ppuser=17825

I think this challenge comes from a different perspective though and things from my childhood would be appropriate for this challenge! Great idea Mary! I'll see if I can't work on something this week for this!! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Vicki - thank you so much for sharing your pages - It really is a great treasure that you are giving to your family when you scrapbook yourself!

I don't like to do it and have always avoided it because I'm not comfortable focusing on myself. But I was really inspired last week after talking to a friend whose mother died of breast cancer when my friend was around 20 years old. She does have some pictures of her mom and they are here most prized possession. (Seriously, there was a fire near their storage shed and she was just grateful that her mom's pictures were with her, not in storage - the rest of it wasn't a big deal and could be replaced) And I know that she cherishes anything that her mom has written or letters that share personal details about her mom.

So, there's my bit on the soap box. I know it's not an easy thing to do, but it really is important to your family. And frankly, none of is immortal, so we just never know - ya know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

Oh how sad!! I'm so sorry to hear about that, but yes, I agree you're getting your point across VERY well!! I am so sad every time I go to scrapbook my kids' albums because I have one or two pics of grandma and that was simply because she didn't like her picture taken! She' dead, but what I wouldn't give for more pics of her!! So PLEASE let people take your picture!! I'm not proud of my looks by ANY means, but I keep thinking that my boys will love a book about their mom!! If anything ever happens to me, I know they'll at least know a little something about me from the pages I complete and who knows me better than myself?!

I can relate that the FIRST thing I would ever grab...and I've coached my family on this as well about grabbing scrapbook and boxes of pics BEFORE ANYTHING else!! All else is replaceable, but the pictures aren't!! Ok...crying now....I'm off my soap box!!! Love your theme Mary!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the awesome theme challenge Mary! I'm very excited about this because I just bought a beautiful linen/embroidered album which I'm going to designate for ME... I already have 2 pages in it, and am anxious to fill it up, so I love this idea!

Here's my 2 pages that I've already done:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=81047

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=81047

I'm going to start digging out my old pictures... this theme is actually great timing because my parents are coming to visit this weekend (and let me tell you, it's a rare occurence lately!)... so they can help me with the memories!!

Bonita

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember these pages, Bonita - loved them! I love your detailed journaling. Truly this is an important gift.
I chatted with my friend and told her that I was challenging her to do this album with me and that she had inspired me to get off my tush and get it started. She is excited about it and is looking for an album for it and is looking for her notes she had made about bits and pieces of remembering about growing up.

Here also is what she said "I wish I knew more about my Mom. It's just so sad because we were really close and I want to know more about her. Thankfully I've taken the time to get to know her parents better!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

What a great theme Mary! I have felt guilty about not starting an album for myself...now you are getting me off my tush and I'll start tonight!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

great challenge Mary! I'll have to give this some thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

So Mary, when do we get to see your pages, samples???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favorite Grandma
Yeah Mary...where are your pages?? We need your inspiration!!

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonitaKat
do I hear a chant.....................
we want Mary
we want Mary
we want Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

LOL - I was wondering (hoping/praying) when and who would bring that up! I just committed to this 'project' this week after that heartfelt conversation with my friend. it is SOOO hard for me to have any focus on me. (yeah, yeah, blah blah blah, I know) But I did start a page, a couple actually, but I'm not getting them FINISHED!! hmmm, there in lies another challenge! lol I will do A page on this theme this week, but I may be like Vicki was with hers and upload it at the END of the week! The pictures part makes it tough huh?!

I was hoping that if I threw it out there all you talented girls would make some pages and I would just CASE yours!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryR
LOL - I was wondering (hoping/praying) when and who would bring that up! I just committed to this 'project' this week after that heartfelt conversation with my friend. it is SOOO hard for me to have any focus on me. (yeah, yeah, blah blah blah, I know) But I did start a page, a couple actually, but I'm not getting them FINISHED!! hmmm, there in lies another challenge! lol I will do A page on this theme this week, but I may be like Vicki was with hers and upload it at the END of the week! The pictures part makes it tough huh?!
I was hoping that if I threw it out there all you talented girls would make some pages and I would just CASE yours!!
hey we are not letting you off that easy! and you probably guessed it would be me .
I doubt I will get this one done this week, as I am trying to get the layouts I really want to have done before my Mom comes next week! then there is a little 2 year old that take a ton of attention! But I will be hoping to see your sample on here when I am able to get back to see what is going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

hey we are not letting you off that easy! and you probably guessed it would be me .
I doubt I will get this one done this week, as I am trying to get the layouts I really want to have done before my Mom comes next week! then there is a little 2 year old that take a ton of attention! But I will be hoping to see your sample on here when I am able to get back to see what is going on.
Oh pullease! You're begging off easy with THOSE excuses?! oh I am so funny! Can't wait to see some pages about YOU, Peggy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #17  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

AWESOME challenge Mary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salster
AWESOME challenge Mary!
Are you gonna show us what you got Sally baby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh pullease! You're begging off easy with THOSE excuses?! oh I am so funny! Can't wait to see some pages about YOU, Peggy!
http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZSYYYYYYYYUS
Mary, geesh you are one tough cookie!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Mary, geesh you are one tough cookie!!!
That's what my kids say!! teehee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I did it. Don't care for it - well it's okay, but it's hard for me to do this. But I WILL continue to do it and the pages will get easier and the journaling will get easier as well. But for right now, I am making myself do it!

Better done imperfectly than not done at all!

So here is my Neighborhood page, using Darcy's first sketch. Now I need to get DH to write something as well and do 'his' neighborhood page!

In My Neighborhood

And yes, I was very impressed that I was able to spell neighborhood correctly the first time!! I just found the other day a stamped title with a mispelling in it. and yes, it is in my gallery. and no, I haven't fixed it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

nice page Mary! I don't know that I have any pictures from my growing up years and if I do, do I really want to scrap them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

nice page Mary! I don't know that I have any pictures from my growing up years and if I do, do I really want to scrap them?
I didn't really want to scrap mine either and had some conflicting emotions doing my journaling and chose these photos as more 'generic' ones. I, like you, grew up very poor and when I saw that I had a couple of photos of our house, I didn't want them on the page. Also I did the neighborhood angle more for the journaling instead of focusing on my home. So this will be a growing and learning thing for me as I get more comfortable putting some of those things into writing I guess.

For the challenge, you don't have to have photos of your house/neighborhood. Maybe you have a photo or could take one of a certain tree or something else fairly generic that does remind you of something in your old neighborhood. The journaling is the most important piece in a {Self} Centered Album, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, since Mary did get her's done, and I was giving her a hard time, I figured I could at least give this a shot. I took the easiest route I could find! I have wonderful, fun, happy memories of times at our Church. Except the grave is just the cemetary down the road a bit, the grave is of the original Church pastor, just wanted to include it here. Maybe I'll tackle some of the harder stuff at another time, but at least I got this one done.

Katie gave me the sticker package for my birthday, so had to remember to use them!

I will never forget Templeton
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hurray for Peggy for tackling this challenge! whoot whoot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

Mary, I've got a question....Sad to say, didn't realize this either, that I don't have pics of say old houses, land, etc. that I lived during childhood. Although I do have a couple of pics of myself INSIDE a home we used to live in and there are some items in the BG that certainly remind me of my childhood! I'm in it..not that long ago of course!! But is this acceptable for this challenge? Just wondered before I go ahead and do this. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by basement stamper
Mary, I've got a question....Sad to say, didn't realize this either, that I don't have pics of say old houses, land, etc. that I lived during childhood. Although I do have a couple of pics of myself INSIDE a home we used to live in and there are some items in the BG that certainly remind me of my childhood! I'm in it..not that long ago of course!! But is this acceptable for this challenge? Just wondered before I go ahead and do this. THANKS!
ABSOLUTELY lady! The challenge really is to get you to thinking and remembering and WRITING down those memories about your house or neighborhood where you grew up. You go girl! Can't wait to see them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

OK Mary!! I've got mine done!! I hope that you like it! I did alot of journaling about my time when we lived on the farm. I pretty much grew up on the farm, but I don't have many pictures of it!! So these are basically pics from when I was a little older on Christmas. I think that the journaling will help explain to my kids about my time on the farm. Great theme! THANKS!!

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=363919&cat=3592

Oh...by the way, I've decided to make a self-centered album and decorate it!! I've got a start on a few pages..so I think it's a great idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Vicki - you ROCK! Great job girl on your journaling AND starting an album dedicated to pages about YOU! Your kids will absolutely treasure this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

SO.......where are your pages Bonita?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Well... (here come the excuses...) my parents have been visiting for a week so I haven't had any time to scrapp... and I just realized now that I'm officially addicted, because I think I'm actually shaking from the withdrawl!! LOL!! And in 2 hours I will have 2 more guests for the weekend!

Anyways... I did look through some of my old photos but couldn't find a great pic of my house, so when my parents get home they will send me a few. If I have a few minutes this weekend I will put something together and leave space for the house picture...we'll see! But I am thinking about what I'm going to journal though, so that's something!

Good enough excuses??

Quote:

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well... (here come the excuses...) my parents have been visiting for a week so I haven't had any time to scrapp... and I just realized now that I'm officially addicted, because I think I'm actually shaking from the withdrawl!! LOL!! And in 2 hours I will have 2 more guests for the weekend!

Anyways... I did look through some of my old photos but couldn't find a great pic of my house, so when my parents get home they will send me a few. If I have a few minutes this weekend I will put something together and leave space for the house picture...we'll see! But I am thinking about what I'm going to journal though, so that's something!

Good enough excuses??
LOL - you know I was teasing you, but that sounds awesome - I love that you are planning it and I really thought the journaling was the hardest. I was talking to another friend today about the whole album thing and how hard it is for me. But I'm doing it and it will happen, just SLOWLY. And I need to keep reminding myself that DONE is better than PERFECT! So that's me. But it sounds like you are in the frame of mind to get these done - enjoy your company!

And totally know what you mean about SCS withdrawals. I am the same way and when I'm not able to, you know, 'check in' I get all cranky!!teehee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Whew... I finally got this challenge done... "challenge" being the key word!! But I'm excited to have it done and now have 3 pages in my "ME" album!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...69280&cat=3592

Quote:

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Whew... I finally got this challenge done... "challenge" being the key word!! But I'm excited to have it done and now have 3 pages in my "ME" album!

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=369280&cat=3592
Bonita, incredible page and journaling - hurray to you for working on this important album about YOU!

Reply With Quote Likes