Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
blaBBermouth

Default Who cuts your child's hair?

I have been taking my children to get their hair cut at the same place I always do. Its reasonable and she's very good with the kids. Well, my son came down with a nasty stomach virus around hair cut time and then time just got away from me. So, he got a little shaggy. On Sunday my DH sat my son on a barstool in the kitchen with a bath towel draped over him and cut his hair with beard trimmers. I was ready to kill him! He had the nerve to tell me DS#2 was next. Fat chance.

Anyway, my husband is insisting that I should just buy a set of clippers and cut the boys hair myself. He thinks I'm wasting time and money taking them to get a haircut. I'm just not sure how good I would be at doing the job. I don't want them having a buzz cut. I like a clean cut little boy cut.

Does anyone cut their child's hair? How do you do? How does it look?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

My child keeps cutting her own bangs when we keep trying to get them to grow . . . she is sneaky as all get out getting hold of scissors. Last time she gave herself a ragged edged, random cut I told her if she does that again she'll get a marine-style buzz . . .

I'm not serious, but she doesn't need to know that.

Otherwise, I take her to the hair cuttery or some cheaper place to get it evened out.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

We pretty much cut our 3 boys hair....we always have, at least, until recently....the oldest is 16 and we're trying to get him to care about his appearance so we take him to my hair place to get it cut (plus, poor kid was blessed with rotten hair so he can use the extra help)...the 13 year old occasionally goes to a Great Clips, but generally I cut his and the 6 year old mostly has his cut by me or hubby....I even cut hubbys hair most of the time.....It's just an added expense we don't need.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I have 2 girls and I trim their bangs (until this weekend when my 6 year old cut the 3 year old bangs and now has a "special" type of hair cut) but if we are doing something different with the length or style- I take them where I go.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I cut their hair. Logan has a buzz, his choice (and MUCH easier to take care of imo), the girls each have lil bobs. I HATE cutting their hair, mostly because they (especially Brooklyn) don't like to sit still. But I'm sorry I refuse to pay $20+ for a childs hair cut. I cut Ryan's hair too, but again, he likes it buzzed (he hates his natural curl).
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

my kids go to a barber in the mall - both 3 yr ds and 2 yr dd. She's fairly cheap and does a good job.

I had bought a set of clippers and did my sons but he said that they pinched and pulled at his hair so I'm not continuing that.

Mom to Tristan (Nov/04) and Adele (July 9 /06)

The pic is son Tristan helping to dismantle his crib.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._North View Post
I cut their hair. Logan has a buzz, his choice (and MUCH easier to take care of imo), the girls each have lil bobs. I HATE cutting their hair, mostly because they (especially Brooklyn) don't like to sit still. But I'm sorry I refuse to pay $20+ for a childs hair cut. I cut Ryan's hair too, but again, he likes it buzzed (he hates his natural curl).
I wouldn't pay $20 for a small child either, but we can get one for $8.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

a small child's HAIRCUT, not a small child . . . okay, you all KWIM. , .
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
blaBBermouth

DDs hair is not up for negotiation with DH. She will continue to get it cut by a professional. I'm only considering my son's hair. Neither of my boys could pull off a buzz cut without looking silly. Maybe its the shape of their face, not sure. DS did tell my husband that the beard trimmers were pinching him. Hmm, I just don't want to waste my money on a set of clippers.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Clippers are cheap, and it's pretty easy to cut boys' hair. You can use the guards to adjust the length.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I've only got the one son who is now six and when he was younger he would play up so badly with a hairdresser (woman) and one day I took him to the barber (man ... BIG man) who took no crap from any kid. LOL I'm not sure if it was fear or respect that made him sit still but at that stage I didn't really care, anything to get a good cut was fine. We still go back there and both my son and the barber are really happy to see each other - quite cute really AND it's about half the cost of taking him to the hairdresser!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Mad Swapper

We go to an old fashioned barber shop. The cuts are only 8$. Of course, we have to stop at the local bakery down the street for donuts but it's worth it. DS really talks alot on haircut days....
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

I absolutely detest spending $ on a darn haircut....for myself, anyway.

However, for DS it is absolutely a necessity.
He absolutely cannot sit still enough for most people. Every time we took him to Great Clips or Hair Cuttery, the stylist would jump back 3 feet every time he moved and firmly suggest that it wasn't the best day for a haircut.

DS is on the autism spectrum, so he definitely is more difficult to convince to sit still.
So...we take him to the way expensive kids place. He chooses a cool chair to sit in (spaceship, race car, ect) and picks out a movie to watch.
The clincher is that he always gets to pick out a toy at the end, and then play video games for a few minutes. It usually ends up costing me about $22 including the haircut, tip, and toy---but it is so worth it!

His hair is really shaggy now, so I guess it's time to make another appt!! He goes about every 2 months.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

My kids have gone to the same place for the last 7 years ~ same place I go.

For $9 a piece, I'm willing to pay the price for a decent, professional hair cut. I can swing the $20 every 8 weeks for a nice-looking haircut.

Having a boy who looks neat and respectful with short hair is important to me.

'Course, he just got it buzzed off for the summer, so it may be a while until we need another haircut! LOL
Old 06-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #15
8 Cow Woman

I taught myself to cut my husband and boys hair. The girls I just trim the ends. The clippers come with an instructional DVD that is really helpful. We have a portable DVD player, so I just set that up on the table and let the kids pick a movie to watch while I cut their hair. The boys have to sit still while I do each part of their hair (start with top, then use biggest clippers on sides/back, then use smaller clippers on side/back, then trim) but I make sure they have wiggle/scratch time after each step.

It helps.

We have 4 kids, I am not paying for them to get their hair cut. Just not happening. Besides, I know how I like their hair and I do a good job.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #16
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
My kids have gone to the same place for the last 7 years ~ same place I go.

For $9 a piece, I'm willing to pay the price for a decent, professional hair cut. I can swing the $20 every 8 weeks for a nice-looking haircut.

Having a boy who looks neat and respectful with short hair is important to me.

'Course, he just got it buzzed off for the summer, so it may be a while until we need another haircut! LOL
Its very important to me too. That's why thus far I have saved him the humiliation of a haircut a la Mom. I'm just not sure I can do it!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
blaBBermouth

OK. I'm attempting to attach a picture of the beard trimmer haircut. Please ignore my messy house in the background.

Last edited by stampinbb; 06-04-2009 at 07:15 AM..
Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
OK. I'm attempting to attach a picture of the beard trimmer haircut. Please ignore my messy house in the background.
He looks soooo cute!
The trimmer is not bad for a first try- I would say though the clippers will hurt less as the trimmer is designed for a different type and length of hair.

A friend of mine has 4 boys, she uses clippers, and they don't look buzzed but as if they have proper hair cuts, neat respectful etc. The clippers are the price of a hair cut these days so maybe give them a go??
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

DH cuts DS's hair.

I pay to get DD's haircut. She has the cutest "A" line bob. I love it. She wakes up looking like this so it's so easy to do. I think it's worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails
danielles-haircut.jpg  
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
blaBBermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuelo View Post
DH cuts DS's hair.

I pay to get DD's haircut. She has the cutest "A" line bob. I love it. She wakes up looking like this so it's so easy to do. I think it's worth the money.
I love her hair. So cute. I got a similar cut in the winter, but mine did not lay as nicely as hers. And I sure couldn't wake up with it looking like that. Lucky Duck!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

I take my 4 year old son to a professional. He's biracial and I asked around and was referred to two different women, one who was biracial herself and another who had a biracial child. They butchered his poor curls. I finally found this guy who adores him and does a great job!
My 13 year old goes to the same guy, but rarely as he wants his hair long.
http://oolalasparkle.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

DH is military and often takes DS with him to get it cut on base - $8. DS likes the military cuts - not buzzed like a Marine, but short and tapered. He sort sticks out here as a lot of kids have really long surfer style hair - imagine that, in Hawaii. DD goes to the local Paul Mitchell school where for $15 she gets a full-service treatment - shampoo, cut, style. The students are slow, but are very well supervised by instructor and DD loves that is like going to a "real" salon. I will admit that I am willing to splurge on myself for haircuts. I have fine wavy hair and have found that normally the more I pay, the better the cut.

I did cut DS's hair once. Two years ago he wanted to shave his head - is aid at school had shaved his for the summer. It was late in the day, so I cut it back with some scissors and then shaved it with my razor. He looked good, but we had to be careful to put on sunscreen everyday for a while!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #23
Watercolor Wizard

I used to cut my DS's hair with clippers when he was a bit younger and had no opinions of his own!! haha I would always buzz it. He's HORRIBLE for letting me wash his hair (even at 6 1/2 he screams like someone is torturing him) so rather than go through the hassle I'd buzz it as short as I could without leaving him totally bald and then scrub his scalp good with a wet facecloth and a bit of soap. Worked great. NOW THOUGH I do pay to get his hair cut because he's getting a bit more opinionated as to how it looks....likes it a bit longer on top and then really really short everywhere else. And his hair is so coarse that if I do it and make even a tiny error, it shows. It's WAY easier on all of us to pay the $8 every two months for his hair cut.

For my DD I take her to the hair dresser but only once every 6 months or so. THey still only charge about $12 for her so it's okay. She has GORGEOUS THICK RED hair that curls a bit and that she wears long. In between visits I trim her bangs for her or we let them grow out a bit (depending on what she feels like doing with them).

I figure for now this is way easier than me trying to do it myself. And since I work fulltime it's a time saver too....the barber takes 10 minutes to do my son (whereas it always used to take me at least 20 - 30 minutes) and the hairdresser does my daughter's in about 30 minutes. I use her time as a Mommy/Daughter bonding time and she loves it. So all in all it's worth it to me!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
down and digi

DD gets her hair trimmed 1-2 times a year and it costs $8, since it's just along the bottom.

DS is $13 every 6 weeks.

My DH will not let me touch their hair with scissors or clippers. He says that since it is only $8/month for DS, it is not justifiable to cut that corner. He says that there are far better corners to cut than that one. Just go to the barber!

Anyway, I go to the kids' haircut place if I'm taking him, but DH usually takes him to the barber with him (and then it's $10 every 6 weeks).

It doesn't help that DS has a triple crown on the back of his head and a couple cowlicks in the front. There is nothing I could do with it if I tried.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

I will pay ANY amount of money to have someone cut my boys' hair. I cannot cut hair for the life of me.

DH's hair is about 1/2 inch long (in the spots where he HAS hair) and he cuts it himself with the clippers and a guard, then I trim the back and behind his ears with the smaller trimmer.

But the boys - no way! That is one area where I splurge. I swear to you - the thing that scared me the most about having boys was their hair. Even though my oldest is 5, I still have a hard time telling the stylist what to do. He has a couple of different textures in his hair, two cowlicks, and a funky swirl at the crown. And I HATE the look of little boys with buzz cuts (sorry - I mean no offense!) - it just has negative connotations that it would take me awhile to explain.

I have taken my sons to a few different places, but our favorite by far is the one where they get to watch a video while their hair is cut. With tip, it's $20/kid, but money well spent, in my book.

Penny
Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
Pearl-ExPert

I am fortunate enough to have a license to cut hair, so I cut everyone's hair in my house, and then I don't feel at all guilty about going to get pampered for my own haircut (which is a steal at $20 for cut/blow dry). And even get a bigger steal for a full foil w/cut for only $40, cuz I make her a stack of 10-12 cards.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

I cut DHs hair, but I do not cut my boys' hair. There is something about the big chair and change in environment that makes them sit still. They don't sit still for me, they would rather look at the scissors. As they get older, I may try again, but at 3 yo and 18 months, it's pointless.

I also cut dd's hair because it is just straight and long. I paid to have hers done once and when I watched what they did for $12, I about flipped out and decided that I could do it. She's only 4, so she doesn't have a "style." Most days I put her hair in various styles of rubber bands or in a clip to the side. When she's old enough to need a real style, I'll take her some place.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblair38 View Post
I will pay ANY amount of money to have someone cut my boys' hair. I cannot cut hair for the life of me.

DH's hair is about 1/2 inch long (in the spots where he HAS hair) and he cuts it himself with the clippers and a guard, then I trim the back and behind his ears with the smaller trimmer.

But the boys - no way! That is one area where I splurge. I swear to you - the thing that scared me the most about having boys was their hair. Even though my oldest is 5, I still have a hard time telling the stylist what to do. He has a couple of different textures in his hair, two cowlicks, and a funky swirl at the crown. And I HATE the look of little boys with buzz cuts (sorry - I mean no offense!) - it just has negative connotations that it would take me awhile to explain.

I have taken my sons to a few different places, but our favorite by far is the one where they get to watch a video while their hair is cut. With tip, it's $20/kid, but money well spent, in my book.

Penny
No offense taken, Penny.

And when I say buzz cut, I don't mean a military style...just a much shorter style than he normally has for the summer.

My son also has a cowlick right in the front of his hair, so we've had to work with that. LOL
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #29
Insane Embellisher

me, I am getting better!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #30
Glitter Guru

Quote:
No offense taken, Penny.

And when I say buzz cut, I don't mean a military style...just a much shorter style than he normally has for the summer.
Gotcha. And since I'm thinking about it, I will try to explain the way I feel about those military-style buzz-cuts. I grew up in small East TX town. I would venture to say that without fail, the little boys who had the buzz-cuts were the ones whose dads "ruled the roost", so to speak. They had their wives under their thumbs, they made all the decisions, did the grocery shopping, had total control of the money, the house, the social life, the kids, the discipline, etc. And none of this in a good way.

I know that there are lots of little boys in the world who have buzz-cuts whose lives are not like that, but seeing a small boy with a military-style buzz-cut just always takes me back to my hometown "neighbors" and kind of gives me the creeps.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Penny
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #31
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

I know that I can't cut hair so that's not an option. If it is just a bangs trim, my stepmother will do it. But when it comes time to cut the dead ends of the curls, she goes to one of those "cheap" salons. Great Clips or Fantastic Sams. They usually charge less than $10.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblair38 View Post
Gotcha. And since I'm thinking about it, I will try to explain the way I feel about those military-style buzz-cuts. I grew up in small East TX town. I would venture to say that without fail, the little boys who had the buzz-cuts were the ones whose dads "ruled the roost", so to speak. They had their wives under their thumbs, they made all the decisions, did the grocery shopping, had total control of the money, the house, the social life, the kids, the discipline, etc. And none of this in a good way.

I know that there are lots of little boys in the world who have buzz-cuts whose lives are not like that, but seeing a small boy with a military-style buzz-cut just always takes me back to my hometown "neighbors" and kind of gives me the creeps.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Penny
I understand.

But I think you know me well enough to know that my DH doesn't rule this particular roost.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #33
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I understand.

But I think you know me well enough to know that my DH doesn't rule this particular roost.
Well, yeah!! LOL!

Sometimes you (general you) just cannot get away from those connotations you have stored away in your mind, though.

Penny
Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #34
Die Cut Diva

Location: I now live in Flin Flon, MB Waaaaaaaaaaaaay up north.
Send a message via Skype™ to mustardseed

Me- and my son is very handsome. Most popular kid at school.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #35
blaBBermouth

Penny, I understand the buzz cut thing. I have a similar problem with it. Every kid I went to school with who had a buzz cut was a total punk. Since then, I've disliked them for no other reason. I just can't get away from it...even though I'd like to. The buzz cut is so much simpler! And my children have problem hair too. My poor DD has two cowlicks in the front of her head. Poor child, can never have bangs. DS only has one, but his hair doesn't lay great. Who knows what the baby is going to do!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #36
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuelo View Post
DH cuts DS's hair.

LOVE her style!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #37
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

Could someone please explain

Bangs
Buzz-cut

*is a Brit*
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #38
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole4312 View Post
Could someone please explain

Bangs
Buzz-cut

*is a Brit*

Bangs = fringe, I think you would say

Buzz-cut is a very short cut, where usually the hair is the same length all over the head - done with an electric clipper and is very low maintenance. My DH has a "buzz cut", I suppose - his hair is about 1/2" long, all over his head. He keeps it that way because he is balding on top and it's just easier to deal with.

Penny

Penny
Old 06-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #39
Stampin' Fool

I have cut my son's hair since he was tiny - he had tons of hair when he was born so he first hair cut was at 4 months, lol.

I occasionally took him in when I didn't have time but I primarily cut his to save money. Like others, my DS is 16 and has cared less about his appearance for years to I beg and beg and then offer to pay, I don't even care at this point! Just get a haircut, geez. lol
Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #40
Embossing Fanatic

my kids both get their hair cut where I go My son is about $ 12.00 and my dd is about $ 95.00 she gets her cut, and highlighted. and her eyebrows arched. but she is 13. I know she is expensive