Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Glitter Guru

Exclamation tonsils...

does anyone have any suggestions for me...
my little guy is having his tonsils and adnoids removed and I have no clue what it will be like for him afterwards...good thing too! poor little soul!!
Are there any of you out there whose kids have gone through this and are there any special suggestions to help eleviate fear and to make them more comfy afterwards?
(I have posted this also in the rak forum hoping to get some cards for him as he is QUITE upset about all of this if you wish to send him one could you pm me for his address? We would really appreciate all the help we can get at this point.)

Last edited by racey; 03-03-2006 at 12:32 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Glitter Guru

bumping for my little boy.....
Old 03-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

My son had his tonsils/adnoids out a couple days after his 3rd birthday...he sailed through with no problems whatsoever...it was much harder on Mom and Dad!! lol He wasn't supposed to talk, but try telling that to a 3 year old!! He was talking pretty much as soon as he woke up.

We were checked into the hospital room early in the morning and then we just stayed there while he had the surgery and for a few hours after...we went home later that afternoon. The only thing that bothered him a little was when they put the IV in...he didn't really care to have that thing sticking in his arm and was very glad when they took it out.

How old is your son? His age makes a huge difference in how much they understand and how freaked out they could potentially become. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Glitter Guru

my son is 6 years old, thanks for sharing your expierence, I am very nervous for him, are there any willing people who would like to send him a card? He loves to look at cards I have made and have recieved so I thought perhaps someone would like to do this for him.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

He will be just fine! I'm sure you have told him that he can eat al the jello, ice cream, etc. that he wants after. And because he is little, he will recover quicker and better. Chin up, this is just one of lifes little "speedbumps"
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

My son had his tonsils and adnoids removed just after he turned 4. He did really well leading up to the surgery. Mom and Dad were a wreck...but he was taking it all in stride. It might have helped that he had his surgery at our Children's Hospital here and the night before they have a class for kids to explain what will happen and they bring out the surgical hats, masks, and different medical items for the kids to practice with on stuffed animals. He LOVED that. They got to take some of the stuff home with them.

They did give him some medicine to help make him relaxed and sleepy before they took him to the operating room. But, as he was being wheeled down the hallway he was sitting up in the bed asking a bazillion questions. When the doctor came out after surgery she said they had quite the conversation in the O.R. He wanted to know all about it...was very curious..so they took time and talked to him about it. LOL It made us feel so much better that he was handling it so well BEFORE.

After...well that is a WHOLE other story. We had NO idea how rough the next few days would get. He did end up sick to his stomach from the meds they gave him (we think it was either the anesthesia or antibiotics), and he became dehydrated,then he started to refuse to drink, because he was afraid of throwing up again...it was a vicious cycle. They left him hooked up to the IV until right before we went home. We stayed overnight in the hospital. (Children's Hospital keeps kids 3 and under overnight...since he had JUST turned 4 they kept him.) We went home the next day and he was still not drinking much and still sick to his stomach. He told us he wanted to go back to the hospital because it was fun there!!! We were back in the E.R. twice that weekend. The first time, because he spiked a high fever (we later learned he picked up a virus...probably from the hospital!!) The second time he was so dehydrated that they had to give him fluids. He had to be poked so many times before they could get the IV started. It was hard to watch...but I think it was a turning point for him. He was being SO stubborn about drinking and we knew why, but we also knew he HAD to get fluid in him. Once he had been poked over and over and got some fluids into him...he was MUCH better about drinking for us. He did NOT want to go back to the hospital for shots it wasn't near as "cool" of a place anymore. We also took him off the antibiotics because they were just tearing his tummy up.

Within a day or two of going to the ER for fluids he was MUCH better and back to being a typical 4 year old.

I hope this doesn't scare you. That wasn't my intention. I wish someone had told us that this does happen...we only learned that it is fairly common when we were in the ER. I only tell you all this so that you can prepare yourself and your son. It is SO IMPORTANT to drink...even if it hurts. Or eat jello, etc...but get the fluids in him. Hopefully because he is older he won't have to stay overnight and won't pick up any "germs" while at the hospital. And hopefully he isn't as stubborn as our son was.

Good luck to you and your son....let us know how it all goes for him. Praying for a speedy, non-complicated recovery for him and for calm nerves for you. Hang in there.

Amy
Old 03-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Glitter Guru

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words!
Racey
Old 03-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

My DD had her tonsils and adenoids out at 2 years, 10 months. She yapped and yapped about her surgury to anyone who would listen for a couple weeks before, then YEARS after! She still once in a while will pop out with a "remember when" of her tolsilectomy-- and she's 8 now!!!

We simply told her that she was going to have a special surgury to take out her tonsils and adenoids (and it was so cut that she learned to pronounce those words!) so that she would be all better and not sick anymore. She had sleep apnea, which caused her to be severely underweight. We told her that one of the doctors would give her a special medicine to make her sleep, and that she wouldn't feel anything, and she might hurt some when she woke up, but she could have medicine when she hurt, and of course all the ice cream, yogurt, jello, pudding, etc. she wanted. It was just a matter-of-fact thing, and we didn't make a big deal of it.

Anyway, she had her favorite doll with her before, during, and after the surgury. The anesthesiologist and ENT both came in to the prep room to talk to her while I was there so she could see that mommy thought they were good people. She did very well, didn't even cry when they wheeled her out.

She did very well for quite a while after the surgury, but after about 6 hours and a pint of ice cream, she had a bloody nose, then started throwing up blood. Our ENT had given us his cell phone number, because DD was so young and he knew she might have problems. They found that some of the cuts hadn't fully cauterized, so they took her back into surgury. By the time they had her in, though, everything had sealed up on its own. (My husband, btw, had the same problem when he had sinus surgury a couple years before, so it may have been a hereditary thing.)

Anyway, after that night DD was fine. She was on Tylonol with codeine for about a week, which made her very sleepy, but that was a good thing so that she wouldn't be running around all over the place. Her ENT put her on anti-biotics after the surgury also just to be safe-- especially with her loss of blood (if she'd been older, they'd have given her a transfusion) he didn't want her getting an infection from anything.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Glitter Guru

Yikes.........I hope it goes okay with my son!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Glitter Guru

bump
Old 03-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

I think part of the reason they keep the younger kids overnight at our Children's Hospital is because they are more likely to experience the bleeding issues. At least that is what we were told. I would think since your son is a little older that it will be less likely that he will have those problems.

I really didn't want to make you worry more...I know we moms worry enough as it is. I am sorry if I caused you more stress. I really just wanted you to go into it armed with knowledge so hopefully you wouldn't be as stressed IF your son hit some "bumps" in the road to recovery. Luckily, since they are young they bounce back A LOT quicker than an adult. It really is amazing how fast they recover even when they hit "bumps".

When is your son having surgery?

Hang in there and do LOTS of deep breathing and know we are thinking of you and praying for both your son and you.

Amy
Old 03-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Glitter Guru

oh that is okay, I am a worrywart on a good day! and I do appreciate all the feedback I am getting, not to worry!
I just would like it to be done and over with, we are waiting for the hospital to call with our surgery date, it will be within the month they told us.
Thanks for your kind words!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #13
Glitter Queen

My "strong-willed" 6 y/o has his out last Thursday, (he had apnea too- no more snoring!!!)... he's doing fine now. We were only in the hospital for about 5 hours.

Other than him trying to escape from the OR by using the bathroom excuse (he didn't realize the nurse was going to follow him) ...the only problem we have had so far is a temp. of 102.2, diarrhea and nausea for a few hours on Monday. He didn't like any of the 3 prescriptions. We stopped the meds after the fever and went to tylenol for the pain. The ENT wanted to make sure there wasn't a secondary reaction from the meds. I've had to take the video games away a few time to get him to keep drinking. He says it only hurts now when he yawns.

He'll go back to school on Monday but can't take PE until the 20th. I hope they have better luck keeping him calm at school. I'm just waiting to see how different his voice will be. The Dr. said that most of the swelling was gone last Tues., but he still sounds funny.

Good luck with yours. Mikey and I will keep you in our prayers. Keep us posted.

Sarah
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher

I had my tonsils and adnoids taken out when I was 12. I don't really remember too much, but it was sooo nice to have my own pillow and blanket with me at the hospital. It definitely helped with my nerves. My mom let me eat all the popcicles I wanted afterward. Also, gatorade really made my throat feel better, too. I remember being really tired and wiped out for a few days.

I hope he gets through it ok!!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:30 AM   #15
Kookie Creator

My dd had her's out in Nov. 05' at age 6.

Leading up to the surgery she was fine....we were the wreck's. Afterwards, expect your child to be VERY groggy and sore. My dd slept all day the first day and wouldn't drink a thing, not even water or popcicles. She took in enough not to be readmitted, but was borderline. She lost 5 pounds. Also, some kids' voice change while they're recouping, which according to our ENT, is very normal. It's like they're talking through their nose. Very nasally. That should go away in about three weeks.

Overall we were all happy she had the surgery.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:13 AM   #16
Kookie Creator

Default recovery room nurse

Hi! I am actually a recovery room nurse and primarily deal with little ones who get there tonsils out. My 1st suggestion is, don't tell him it won't hurt. This is a problem we generally have. It will hurt---medicine will make it better but the best thing he/she can do is drink, drink, drink. Cold fluids are the best along with popscicles. We recommend not giving ANY regular dairy for at least 3 days. This procedure stirs up a lot of mucous---mixed with the fat in dairy---it is coming right back at you. Most of the time kids get sick right after because they have blood in their stomachs. If you get home, and he throws up and can't stop---back to the ER you go.
My second suggestion is be tough. Too many times we get parents who want the nurses to be the bad guy--make the child drink, wake them up, etc. Unfortunately, we aren't going home with these children and at some point, like it or not, mom and dad have to be in charge. So, start out this way---yes he'll be sad, crying, etc. But just be firm in the fact that he must drink. It is truly okay if all he wants to do is drink the first day. The eating will come. My suggestion is---have him drink everytime he is awake. Keep a water bottle with him at all times. If he feels like eating, great--if not, he will.
My 3rd suggestion---wherever you are having the surgery---make sure he will be asleep before they put the IV in--and know that in most cases, it will not come out until he shows sufficient signs of being able to keep fluids down. Also be prepared for personality changes right after. Drugs do funny things to big people---imaging what they do to little ones. He could be calm or crying/screaming the whole time. Just remember, it is the drugs.
Hope all this helps, you can certainly pm me if you have any more questions. Stacey
Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 AM   #17
Glitter Guru

thanks so much to all of you it really helps to know others care!!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #18
Mad Swapper

My son had his adenoids out at about 2yrs 10 mos old....and coincidentally I'm bringing him to the ENT this Monday to see if he needs his tonsils out (he's now 4 years old). He snores like an adult--he's so loud! And I do think he has sleep apnea.

I think it's probably harder on the parents to deal with putting their child to sleep and having an operation. I tried to be really calm and then cried while I waited for him to come out of the operation. The waking up out of the anesthesia was a bit emotional. They don't understand where they are, why they feel the way they do, what all the tubes are, etc. It's very confusing, plus as Stacey said, they are still drugged.

At my hospital, we had to have him drink some sugar water and then wait about 1-2 hours to see if he would throw up. Nothing happened so we went home.

One thing I had read is that the mucous just pours out of their nose. I don't know why this happens, but it's true! Their breath is stinky and gunk is coming out.

Since your son is 6 years old, his surgery will probably be as early as they can do it in the morning after the babies and toddlers. I kept my son in his pajamas so he was comfortable. The nurses gave me videos for him to watch while we waited.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes! I may be headed down this road soon enough!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #19
Gallery Gazer

My 3yo had his tonsils out on Nov. 7th of last year (adnoids we taken when he was 18 months old). He was such a brave little man going off with the nurse to the operating room. That was much harder on mom and dad than him. After surgery, which took less than 30 minutes, he was crying, but as soon as we left the outpatient surgery center he stopped. We got home and and he ate a few popsicles then went back to playing. Later that afternoon he ate french fries believe it or not....I was freaking out thinking that he would hurt his throat but it was fine. I am amazed at how little ones bounce back so quickly. The four stitches he needed in his foot the very next day were much more traumatic for both of us.

Now, I have also experienced the other side. My now 11 yo DS had his tonsils and adnoids out when he was 5. Experienced an asthma attack in recovery and spent the night in the hospital. We were about to be admitted back into the hospital for dehydration when I finally "bribed" him into drinking and eating with some baseball cards.

I think it is just going to depend on your kiddo. The most important thing is to keep them hydrated afterwards. I was dreading my 3yo's surgery after what we exprienced with my oldest, but eight hours after surgery you couldn't tell except for the nasaly (sp?) sounding voice that he had even had anything done.

Best of luck to you guys and let us know how things go. Also, if you will pm me your address and your little guys name, I will get a card out to him.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
Glitter Guru

bumping for our little guy!!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

I had my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 30! They say it's harder on adults but it wasn't that bad. Just a really bad sore throat and hard to talk but popsicles and ice chips made it feel sooooo good. The worst part was the IV beforehand...ugh!

My stepson had his removed when he was about 10. The doc removed his epiglottis (hangy down part!) because it was so long and they were worried about swelling and blocking his airway. I had never heard of that before!?!?!? He recovered quickly with no complications.

Best wishes for both your little guy and you!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #22
Matboard Maniac

Hi Racey,

I don't have any experience with having tonsils removed but my 7 year old son just had dental surgery a couple of weeks ago. It is true what they say -it is usually harder on the parents than the child! We were a complete and total mess and he totally knocked my socks off! Not only was he strong, brave, and easy to get along with, he barely had any pain at all afterwards and sailed right through. I was so afraid of having him under general anaesthesia but now that it's done, I feel like I have had 50 pounds lifted off my shoulders! He'll do great, you'll hang in there (!), and before you know it, everything will be normal again! I'd love to send the little guy a card - maybe you can PM me your address? I'm in Ontario too so it should just take a couple of days - when is the surgery? Take care!