Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Okay ladies!! I need some objective opinions!!

**A little long, sorry!

Okay, DH is graduating from college at the end of this month. I am soooo excited for him. He's been taking classes nonstop for the past 2 years and he is so ready to be done!! Poor thing is so disappointed because he got an A- in his last class which gives him a 3.73 instead of the 3.75 he was hoping for!

Anyway, I've wanted to get him a really special gift for graduating and I found this Air Combat school that I know he would just love. He's always wanted to get his pilot's license. He took ground school but we didn't have the money for him to take lessons. The man is always watching the military channel and anything he can find with airplanes.

Anyway, my understanding is that this air combat thing is where you can go and ride in the planes with fighter pilots and do simulated dog fights and stuff. So the price is close to $1000 which didn't bother me too much. I think he really deserves something special for all he does for us but I called the place today and it's only a 2.5-3 hour program. I thought it was going to be a couple of days or something. Now I'm not sure if I should spend that kind of money on something that's only 2-3 hours. But he does get a snazzy video of it that he can show off to his friends!

So do you all think this is too pricey? Our anniversary is 12/21 and his birthday is 1/5 so I was just going to kill 3-4 birds with one stone (sorry PETA). Do any of you know anyone that's done this?

Thanks for reading my long and rambling post!
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

If you have the money I'd do it. That experience will be a lifetime of memories for him.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

While it does seem pricey, I would do it. It would be an awesome thing for him to get to do. A great way to celebrate his achievements.

Of course, I would have to out of guilt. My hobbies are so much more expensive than his.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

well i know nothing of that kind of program
so what about a MADE UP g.c for the program
so he can check it out and decide if it looks completely fabulous and when he wants to go (or if he has a different treat in mind) (as to me that is a LOT Of money to spend if it is not the PERFECT gift )

Of course i caved and asked my mother IF somebody was buying you a presnet and it might be towels for your new bathroom would you prefer sage green , buttercup or kiwi.

Mom WHAT???
sage green YELLOW OR LIME GREEN oh or lavender i mean light purple

Mom LIght green will be nice as long as it is not "too loud" (they were already in my basket an d i will give them to her with the tags on in case she reverts to blue like the old towels

good luck and congrats to dh!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I know you want this to be a surprise, but dh and I made a pact to always discuss any purchases in the "high hundreds" before we spend that kind of money. The fact that you are questioning it in the first place is telling me that perhaps it's worth discussing. If I were in your situation I would tell my dh that I have a surprise for him but that it's a bit pricey and before I spend that kind of money I want to get his opinion... You don't necessarily need to tell him what it's for, just discuss how much you will be spending...

Just a thought!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Glitter Guru

If this guys loves anything about flight, I would do it. My DH is a pilot and wouldn't trade it for the world...he never grew up obsessing about flying and applied because he had the chance......but now he couldn't imagine his life any different.

If it something you question....make up a certificate to present the day of of the surprise (listing all that is included and the cost).....let his reaction make the final decision. You can then go and purchase it if he wants to do it and get a date nailed down that works for his schedule.
Personally I think it sounds like an awesome deal....even for $1000!

Mindy

Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I agree with the idea to make up a gift cert. for this. Maybe list some alternatives on the back. He might rather buy some cool gadgets from Circuit City or something that will be around for a while instead. Guys are so hard to shop for! (unless you just give them food )
Old 11-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies!!

Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking around and actually found one for a little cheaper in Denver (which is where one of his best friends from HS lives) and so I've decided to make it a weekend thing so we can see him too.

I asked DH today if he minded me spending so much on a gift for him and he said no. He said "If you're willing to spend that much on a gift for me, I'm not going to stop you." Because I'm a bit of a...how would you say it...tight wad with money! I knew he wouldn't have a problem, it's just me coughing up that much money at one time that's the hard part.

Again, thanks for all the replies and encouragement! I'll let you know what he thinks!
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.