Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Need some tough mommy vibes...

Hi all,

My baby is starting Kindergarten in the morning, and I've done pretty good at holding it together so far. Yet tonight, he and my DD who is going into 2nd grade both have nervous butterfly tummies so bad, they've been in the bathroom a few times, if you know what I mean. I feel so bad for them! I know they are going to have fun. DD cried all the way to the car on the last day of school 6 weeks ago, cuz she didn't want it to be over. I know the only thing bothering her is that her best bud is in a different class this year. We all saw that coming.

Anyway, sorry...long story short... I need to beef up a little so I don't act sad until I've left the parking lot at school tomorrow! So send me some tough mommy vibes.. PLEASE!

My plan is to come back home and stamp while watching Anne of Green Gables in the computer! Just need to get thru the morning. You know, that time we spend all those toddler years wishing for? And now that it's here tomorrow, I feel like someone is ripping my arms off. Dang kids, can't live with em, can't live without em.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh I am so sorry for your baby leaving the cradle. I went through it the first time pregnant with the 2nd girl, I stayed on the playground then in the classroom for awhile That was way bad then I cried and cried in the parking lot, rubbing my belly told her she cant leave me. Then of course 3 years ago she went to Kgarten, I was the last parent to leave the room, I went to the car, started crying again, called my hubby and he was, what is wrong, what happened, I said or tried to say Miiiiikkkkaaaiilllaaa is in kkkkiinndderrgarrten. He said hha that's all, dont cry, you knew this was coming you will be okay. I said I know but I didnt think It would be like this. Uhhh then I called another friend left a message. Somehow I made it home, came back early to hang in the classroom. I sat at home walking in circles trying to figure out what to do, I was bored as he** 2nd day same thing. I had a rough first week, all I did was walk around and play on computer. I couldnt do anything else. I have ISSUES. hehe. Anyway my kids are 6m and 6w. apart so my emotions were different since the previous. Well I hope you make it through your day, put a smile on and cry when you rutn the corner dont look back.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhroady View Post
Hi all,

My baby is starting Kindergarten in the morning, and I've done pretty good at holding it together so far. Yet tonight, he and my DD who is going into 2nd grade both have nervous butterfly tummies so bad, they've been in the bathroom a few times, if you know what I mean. I feel so bad for them! I know they are going to have fun. DD cried all the way to the car on the last day of school 6 weeks ago, cuz she didn't want it to be over. I know the only thing bothering her is that her best bud is in a different class this year. We all saw that coming.

Anyway, sorry...long story short... I need to beef up a little so I don't act sad until I've left the parking lot at school tomorrow! So send me some tough mommy vibes.. PLEASE!

My plan is to come back home and stamp while watching Anne of Green Gables in the computer! Just need to get thru the morning. You know, that time we spend all those toddler years wishing for? And now that it's here tomorrow, I feel like someone is ripping my arms off. Dang kids, can't live with em, can't live without em.
THIS IS EXACTLY how I feel sometimes!! I mope around the house wishing someone would call and offer to take my kids to the park, and when they do, like my Mom or a friend, I worry about them every minute and watch by the window till they are home!!! SILLY!!

My littlest is only 8 months, so I haven't actually been in your shoes yet.......my day will come tho!!

How about call a friend tonight and set up a coffee date. That way you'll have something to look forward to!!

Good luck!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Kookie Creator

I hear ya! Just went thru it with my baby! I had a double whammy in that the first day of school was also my due date for a little girl that I lost at 18 weeks pregnant. The whole day I just wanted to fast forward thru! I went on an 18 mile bike ride with a neighbor (her first and only started K too) then we went out to lunch. The bus was here before I knew it and they were arguing and all was back to normal!
Hang in there!
Noddy
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

My eldest is starting K this year (but not for another 5+ weeks) and I'm in tears just thinking about it. Sending tough mommy vibes to you! I'll be right there in your shoes soon enough.

Penny
Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
blaBBermouth

When my DD started Kindergarten the school held something they called Readyfest. It helped prepare the kids and the parents! I knew her teacher personally and am very familiar with the school, so that helped. I still sat by the phone waiting for someone to call me and tell me she was too upset to make it through the day. No such luck, though. She loved it!

I think I'm too late to send the vibes, but I'll send them anyway...maybe you'll need them through the day! Let us know how they(and you) do on their first day. Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

((hugs)) It will be FINE. And really, you don't want a 25 year old who can't read!! LOL No, seriously, this is one of those mom moments and all your feelings are so spot on.

I'm already freaking out at the idea of my son leaving for college in 15 months (while simultaneously doing the happy dance...)
Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Forum Fanatic

Hugs for Heather!!!

I distinctly remember when my twins went to kindergarten....it was a mixture of glee, giddiness and guilt that I felt that way.

And I feel that same way today as they start fifth grade.

Let us know how it went this morning!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

I have my 2 entering 2nd grade and my baby going into K but not until Sept. So please let me know how it goes. I've been a SAHM since my oldest was born so this will be a huge transition. Our K is all day every day too... Sending you a great big (((HUG)))!!! I hope they love their day and that you stay busy. I'm thinking I'll need at least a PT job.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Default NO TEARS! :)

Well, we made it there and back with NO TEARS. He was sure nervous as we got into the car, but after he was in the classroom and there was a fresh box of crayons and a coloring page, it was all good. Got a sweet hug and an "I love you"...and the day is off. On the bonus, DH and I are going to meet for lunch without children today. Thanks for all the well wishes. It was just the encouragement I needed!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Forum Fanatic

Glad to hear it went so well!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhroady View Post
Well, we made it there and back with NO TEARS. He was sure nervous as we got into the car, but after he was in the classroom and there was a fresh box of crayons and a coloring page, it was all good. Got a sweet hug and an "I love you"...and the day is off. On the bonus, DH and I are going to meet for lunch without children today. Thanks for all the well wishes. It was just the encouragement I needed!
LUNCH with DH?? And I have a feeling no HAPPY MEALS, spilled milk on your lap, or wet wipes are going to be included here!! ahahahahh OOOhhh......dreaming for the day I can have lunch w/ DH......GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Glad to hear it went okay for all of you!

I am one of those terrible mothers who was jumping up and down for joy by the time the last one was in school.

They told me at Christmas break that she already knew everything they would teach for the rest of the year and I could keep her home if I wanted to.

NO THANK YOU....LOL....You have her now....Keep her.

My first one made me cry because she jumped out of the car and told me...."Mommy,I know the way,you don't have to get out and go with me".
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
My first one made me cry because she jumped out of the car and told me...."Mommy,I know the way,you don't have to get out and go with me".
Oh, poor Granny! My guy was also ready to rock & roll way before I was ready to let go, only it happened in pre-school!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Mad Swapper

Happy to hear it went well, just one question.....school started in JULY?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Yeah, we are in a cycle school system. They started July 17 and will go for 9 weeks and then be off for 3 weeks. It cycles that way untill May/June, and they get a 6 week summer break. It's really great, cuz we take vacations while everyone else is at school. I only wish they would continue it through middle school and high school, but because of sports and such, they do not. But we're enjoying it while we can.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
Pearl-ExPert

Default AARRGGHH!

So, the first half of this week, he did fine. Now as the week has gone on, he hasn't. He has cried and had to be pulled off of DH the last 2 mornings. I know he's fine, once he's there, but golly, this is NOT fun. My DD, who is two years older was a champ. She's a social butterfly, so even though I knew it would be different for him, I never dreamed that it would be so hard.

Thankfully, our school guidance counselor is the sweetest, most wonderful lady, who happens to think that my DD walks around with a halo on her head (if she ONLY knew)....so she is going to visit with DS today and just befriend him and put out the feelers for me. That way I can know he's fine. And I KNOW that with time, he will adjust. But, man, it's a bummer in the mean time. I just want to go kidnap him and bring him home.

If your Kindergartner had trouble adjusting, did you try anything that worked to make it easier on them?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know if this helps......but my girlfirends little guy did GREAT in kindergarten.....not a tear, no crying, nothing.......THEN...BOOM....1st grade he cried EVERYDAY!! EVERYday she had to leave him........I think it got down to 2-3 days a week that he really cried, but it lasted almost the whole school year. Then......2nd grade...NOT A SINGLE TEAR!! weird!! Phases?? Emotions?? Brain development?? Who knows!!! She really had to bear thro 1st grade!!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Mad Swapper

I'm not sure. Mine just wanted to sometimes be walked in, especially if we'd missed the 1st bell and went through school instead of the K entrance.

1st grade, he was fine in school, the 1st day "how was it?" "Sweet!". The 2nd day "another sweet day?" "Mom, I Can't Talk About it Right Now I Can't Think! " then ran into the house, fell on the sofa and SOBBED. Shuddering, tears pouring out sobbing. All I could do was hold him. Came to find out that 4! of his friends had done the same! (not all from same schools either). We pretty much had major moodiness for the 1st 6 weeks or so of school. I figured it was the adjustment to full days. Is your kindergartner in full days? If it's a change in schedule from preschool, i'd bet there could be some major adjustment involved.

(Turned out that DS also grew an inch between 1 week before school started and the 6th week of school! poor baby, everything all at once...)
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Default good day, once there

His teacher and his guidance counselor both assured me that DS had a great day and even raised his hand to answer questions and stuff. I think part of it is sheer exhaustion and part of it is seeing how soft mommy will be. Stinker!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

Before you know it, they will be off to college (hopefully) and you will reclaim your life!! Day by day it is so long and dragged out, but boy when you look back, it goes SO FAST. We took pictures of DS waiting for the bus on the first day of school for many years - fun to see the progression. Good luck, Moms, I cried too.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #22
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

It's usually tougher on the parents than the kids. Taught K and 1st for 15 years. Only a few kid criers all that time. Each year there is anticipation and some anxiety. Now i teach 6th and I still get the parents who stand outside the door or peek through the window.

We had a family tradition of taking the kids pics at home on the first day of school. Did it with all three kids---even on the first day of their senior year of high school.---Now 2 are through college and 1 just finished his first year.

Just enjoy each day----it goes by in a blink----

Susie