Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Question Need advice on front load washers

So my DH and I are thinking about buying a set of the new front load washer/dryer. I have heard really good things about them, but still have some reservation. My questions are, what kind do you have, what are your pros and cons, and is there anything you would have wanted to know before you bought them? I would appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstamper
So my DH and I are thinking about buying a set of the new front load washer/dryer. I have heard really good things about them, but still have some reservation. My questions are, what kind do you have, what are your pros and cons, and is there anything you would have wanted to know before you bought them? I would appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks!!!
If you are talking about the Calypso (tub rocks back and forth, swirls around, etc.), or the Neptune, they save tons of water--according to my dh. Since he is an appliance repair technician, he should know.

Rainsong
Old 04-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Gabfest Goddess

I don't have them unfortunately, but my sister has a front-loading Bosch washer and dryer. She loves them.

I've also heard they get clothes cleaner than a top-loader.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Kookie Creator

We have the Kenmore Elite HE 3T series - from Sears - with the drawer stand for each so they are much higher up and I hardly have to bend.

LOVE THEM!!

We got a very nice energy credit when we bought these almost two years ago because they are so energy efficient and they do save tons of water.

The only con I have is sometimes the little girls socks get sucked under the rubber tube going around the basin and I have to pull it back to get them out. Not a very big con... but I do have to remember to look.

I don't use the special HE detergent, we use Costco's or ALL but only fill the container half way. The spin is so wonderful with these after the wash cycle that drying times are cut in half - very nice!!

I am so happy we have these and I would never go back to the old style.

SCS Member #133
Old 04-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstamper
I have access to Consumer Reports online - I can email you the latest ratings for the front load washers if you like. PM me if you're interested.

Anne
Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

I have the Bosch washer and dryer as well. I absolutely love them. They use a lot less water and take no time at all to wash and dry. Plus I can get my king size comforter in them! My parents have the Whirlpool front loaders and they have only had good things to say about them. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

Let me tell you how much I love my front loader... if I have to buy a washer ever again it will always be a front loader. I've washed sheets and blankets all day today.. big giant sleeping bags... two small sleeping bags together.
I wash AT LEAST one and a half loads compared to a reg. top loading washer and use less detergent. Can wash big bulking things. Mine is load sensitive so it adds water depending on the size... meaning you can wash one article of clothing and it senses that... saves water. It extracts more water so there's less dry time. i thought that I would end up wearing out my old dryer because of the load size but I think that b/c the clothes are dryer it takes less time and my old dryer is still plugging along.

b-t-w i dont work for maytag....
Old 04-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the basic Kenmore for over two years. I love them. I do use the HE detergent because I read it cleans your clothes better. The only thing I don't like is how low they are to the ground. DH is currently building me a platform since I couldn't afford the ones Sears sold at the time we got the washer/dryer. We also got a check back from PG&E for buying the washing machine. I saw a huge difference in our water consumption by not running the 20 year old set anymore (homeowners left it for us).

Good luck choosing.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #9

Thanks for all your input. I'm more convinced now...like I need to be convinced about having anything new!!! Anyone else?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I have the Whirlpool Duets, I love them. We bought the kenmore bases for them, they were a little more expensive, but have a shelf on top of the drawer that I can set the basket on when I am loading or unloading. We live in base housing, so I cant comment on the energy or water savings. Kenmore is made by whirlpool. I do use the HE detergent, Costco has their own brand or I wait for Tide to be on sale somewhere. If I ever have to get another set, they will definitely be front loaders! If you are military and looking to get these, PM me and I will tell you how we got our great deal!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

I have a Maytag Neptune and I love it. Someone told me I wouldn't be able to stop a load mid-cycle to throw in extra clothing but that's not true with the Neptune. Wouldn't go back to top loading for all the tea in China.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #12
Glitter Guru

I'm convinced they're better for the environment, but I've wondered how I would adapt my laundry routine to use them. I tend to treat stains, soak for 1 hr to overnight, add unstained clothes, and run the cycle. I guess one could soak then spin out the soaking water to add more clothes? But that negates some of the water savings. Does anyone who has a front loader have feedback on that?

Thanks -
Alyson
Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
Forum Fanatic

Just wanted to add that in addition to being a savings on water and energy, the front-loaders also don't give nearly as much wear and tear on your clothing, etc. as they get washed.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #14
Mad Swapper

Have the whirlpool duets, as well. LOVE THEM!!!! Will never have anything but a front-loader, ever again.

The only thing I would do differently is buy the platforms for them--I have to bend WAY over to get the clothes out. Now, I am only 5'1", so it isn't a big deal, but my DH hates to get the laundry out cuz he feels like he is crawling on the floor (he's 5'11").

HEATHER
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #15
Pearl-ExPert

I have the Frigidaire front loader...LOVE it!!! The only con is that it isn't big enough for a king comforter. My sisters had the kenmore elite and loves her's plus it is big enough for the king comforter...The only thing I would change would be the size~
Old 04-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #16
Die Cut Diva

We own an appliance/furniture store, so I got these because my husband sells and services appliances.
I have NOTHING bad to say- I love them. I have the Whirlpool ones up on stands, baby! If you can't afford the stands now, ask for them for Christmas! It is so worth it. You can store rags, bathing suits, packs of dryer sheets, sheets, whatever in them AND not having to bend over is fantastic.
You only use half the detergent you normally would and they are more gentle on your clothes (no agitator in the middle) and you can fit TONS of clothes in them! No kidding!!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Die Cut Diva

...forgot to add,
I wash KING size comforters & you can do sleeping bags in them!

Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
Mad Swapper

I'm guessing by front loading you mean the same kind I used while in Germany living in the village for a little while. Germans are big into environment, recycling, and conservation. I tell you, my clothes have never been cleaner! The whites were so white and I didn't even use bleach. The only drawback was that it washed a longer time than a regular washing machine, so I could not get as much done as I needed.

Not sure about American washers though, they're probably faster now. I'm glad you posted this question because I was planning on looking into these when I moved back stateside.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Die Cut Diva

Default OMGosh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryZ
We have the Kenmore Elite HE 3T series - from Sears - with the drawer stand for each so they are much higher up and I hardly have to bend...LOVE THEM!!...We got a very nice energy credit when we bought these almost two years ago because they are so energy efficient and they do save tons of water...The only con I have is sometimes the little girls socks get sucked under the rubber tube going around the basin and I have to pull it back to get them out. Not a very big con... but I do have to remember to look...I don't use the special HE detergent, we use Costco's or ALL but only fill the container half way. The spin is so wonderful with these after the wash cycle that drying times are cut in half - very nice!!...I am so happy we have these and I would never go back to the old style.
OMGosh...*EVERYTHING* Mary said!!! I've got the same model. Had mine for 3.5 years now - *LOVE* them!!! It cut about $20-$25 off of our monthly combined water / sewer bill (our municipality is our provider for both). They hold a *ton* of clothes and towels! I can fit two quilts in at a time - and I love summer for hanging on the line - my energy usage goes down to *zip* with 'em! They never get unbalanced. There is an extended spin cycle which is like having the centerfuge at a laundromat - and that cuts down the dryer time even more. I'll never go back to a top loader...*never*!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahloumel
Just wanted to add that in addition to being a savings on water and energy, the front-loaders also don't give nearly as much wear and tear on your clothing, etc. as they get washed.
absolutely correct! Our clothes are in *much* better shape. I save a *ton* on detergent, too: I use All Free Clear - which I only buy twice a year in the huge 2-gallon size with a spout. It only takes a few ounces. I use chlorine bleach less, too. Though i do use Biz a bit more on whites instead...

What Mary said about children's socks slipping into the "seal" rim is annoying, but not critically bad - you just get used to checking for them. And as my boys have gotten bigger and the socks have too, it's happening less and less. The only "con" that I could add: They are both *so* quiet that I have to physically go into the room to check to see if they're still running!! Even with the "Cycle End" beepers, I don't always hear them. They are *so* nice and silent! I can think of a lot of worse things!

HTH ~ K

Last edited by Vintage Redhead; 04-14-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #20

Kaylyn...you are too funny! If the only con is not being able to hear them running, I know I must have one of these washers. Now I just have to figure out which brand to buy. Sounds like they are all good. My DH talked to an appliance person who said Whirlpool is probably the best bet since they have been around the longest and have worked out the kinks. Looks like I can't go wrong no matter which one I pick.
My other question is should I get the matching dryer? There is nothing wrong with my dryer now, and it sounds like it will be running even less with the excellent water extraction. Will it look stupid to a have mis-matched set? (Well, duh!!! Yes!) Decisions, decisions!!!
Thanks everyone for all your tips!
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 AM   #21
Glitter Guru

I have the bosch - I loved them - and my house sitter says she loves them too. I got the drawers that go under neath - it costs extra but thought I HAD to have them - lol - I never remember they are there - don't use them at all.... I like that I can wash tons of clothes all at once and like someone mentioned - even a king size comforter... When I bought mine - they told me that they actually get clothes cleaner if you put lots of stuff in them.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #22
Kookie Creator

LOL... I remember how I checked on them *all the time* when we first got them because they are so silent!!
We actually got the clear slides for the doors so I could make sure the water was coming in... the little girls love watching everything move around, too.
I'm used to the silence now, but in the beginning it sure was freaky.

SCS Member #133