Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Help planning fun/romantic week in Orlando with my husband.

I'm planning a wedding anniversary trip to Orlando, Florida around the beginning of June. Any advice on some fun activities. I may be able to talk my husband into DisneyWorld for one day... but what are some other fun things to do? It's just him and I. We are in our late 30's. I am looking for both entertaining and interactive ideas. I cannot swim, so I'm not a big water person.

Gone Forever: -40#

NEWEST BIKE/WALK GOAL: 500 miles 20/500
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Cocoa beach is beautiful and usually pretty empty. I also really enjoyed the tour of the space shuttle launch facility

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

It is weird, but I HATE the beach. I don't like the feeling of sand on my feet or the water. Once, in Hawaii on the Big Island I liked it a lot. We sat on a rocky cliff and listened to the waves crash in, it was very relaxing. So, maybe it's just the sand.

I think we would love the space shuttle launch facility. I'll look that up. Would love more ideas... we will be there for a week.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

When we go to Orlando, I like to go to the dinner-show places. We've been to Medival Times, Arabian Nights and Sleuth Mystery. Just do a search of "Orlando dinner shows" and your options will come up.

Also, be sure to go to Sea World. In spite of recent events, it really is a must-see.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I would say go to Epcot. There's LOTS of amazing food options and I find it less kidsy than the other parks.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Are you totally committed to Orlando?

If I was in my 30's(shoot even now in my 60's)and going away for a week with hubby I would head to Key West.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestamps716 View Post
I would say go to Epcot. There's LOTS of amazing food options and I find it less kidsy than the other parks.

If I only had 1 day I would choose Epcot also. Make dinner reservations and catch the fireworks.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
Are you totally committed to Orlando?

If I was in my 30's(shoot even now in my 60's)and going away for a week with hubby I would head to Key West.
I thought the same thing. Friends of mine have been telling hubby and I to go there for years.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I thought the same thing. Friends of mine have been telling hubby and I to go there for years.

It was a stop on our last Disney Cruise but I was there with DD and grandchildren.

I REALLY want to go back with Poppa.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

What's in Key West that was so fun? We have free tickets to Orlando, it wasn't our first pick. Maybe if we were planning on taking the kids....

Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by funstamper View Post
What's in Key West that was so fun? We have free tickets to Orlando, it wasn't our first pick. Maybe if we were planning on taking the kids....

It is hard to pick any one thing.

I just love the look,the atmosphere and the people watching.

It does have some "shady" areas though....LOL

Orlando is just too hot for me and too far away from the beach to get any good breezes.

BUT hey!....No kids and alone with your hubby you will have fun no matter where you go.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

CityWalk at Universal Studios is fun at night. We went there and went to a bar (club was downstairs) and just people watched. The outlet malls are a lot of fun. Agave Azul is a Mexican restaurant that we went too and really enjoyed. Did you get free flights into Orlando? You might look at St. Augustine (where I currently live) as an alternative -- it's about 1 1/2 hours from Orlando. They have cute bed and breakfasts and a lot of things to do. It's the oldest city in the U.S. so it's fun to see the history and walk down St. George streets (shops). They have attractions like ghost tours, alligator farm, fort tours, Fountain of Youth, Marineland, pirate cruises, kayaking trips, etc. Of course, they have the beaches (St. Augustine beach is white and sandy; Vilano Beach is more like crushed shells and good for finding shells/shark teeth). It can be very romantic too!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Hardware Hotshot

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions.

I particularly agree with taking a tour of the Kennedy Space Center! (not that I'm biased or anything just because I work there! lol)

If you like to people watch, you can spend a few hours at Port Canaveral. There are good restaurants at the port.

St Augustine is a beautiful city. I've always wanted to go there for a weekend & stay in a B&B. I haven't been to Key West if waaaayy too many years, so I can't comment on that, other than it's on my list of "places I want to visit."

Fun Stampers Journey Coach #154
My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher

We did this right after we got married. The most romantic was discovery cove. We swam hand in hand under rock formations, swam with dolphins, swam with stingrays, had a romantic lunch and took a nap in the hammock. LOVED It!

We also did magic kingdom, it was so nice to feel like a kid again and the rides were great. Then we did flea markets, we bought stuff for each other and did a dolphin dinner cruise on a yacht so we ate outside while we saw dolphin and the sun setting.

Were going again this week, but with kids so it wont be quite as romantic Have fun!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Stampin' Fool

I have lived in central florida for my entire life and I am a bit older than you. I know it is sad and I keep trying to leave the area but it just hasn't happened yet. LOL

I am NOT a theme park person so take all my suggestions with a grain of salt as we tend to enjoy things that are a bit off the beaten path.

That being said, I do enjoy Epcot the most of all the theme parks, even did when I was a kid/teen, I would also look into The Old Spanish Sugar Mill Restaurant in De Leon Springs. It is a restaurant where you cook your own pancakes right at your table and it is right on the springs. While in that area, I also really like Blue Springs State Park, though the manatees won't be there in the summer. But canoeing and/or kayaking on the various springs is nice too.

An hour or so west of Orlando offers Tarpon Springs which has a neat little Greek area and boat trips where they go diving for sponges. Near there is also Ybor City which is Latiny/Cuban area that offers some intersting cultures and restaurants including the Columbian Restaurant that is suppose to be fabulous! I have never been there but it is on my bucket list! There is also one in Celebration Florida and in St. Augustine but Ybor has the orginal one.

If you are into cultural types of things, the west coast offers a really nice Baroque/Renaissance museum, The Ringling Museum. It was started by one of the Ringling Brothers (from the circus) and has some VERY valuable art and you can also tour their home and a circus museum as well.

If you like art that is more modern then skip on over to St. Pete for a the Salvador Dali museum. Dali was one weird guy and his paintings are extremely interesting!

Kissimmee/St. Cloud area has airboat rides which could be fun if that is your thing. Kissimmee also is suppose to have one of the best bass fishing lakes in the country or something really amazing. Speaking of fishing, a lot of people like deep sea fishing and there are lots of places that will take you out for various times.

If fun and cheesy is your game, I recommend Gatorland or the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine. I like them both a lot! They are fairly inexpensive (for this areas theme parks) and actually really clean and nice but they don't take up the entire day. They don't have that overly perfect and polished feel to them like the big theme parks and I think that is what I like the most about them. They feel more genuine to me.

Anyways, like I said, we tend to like things that are a little less popular but I hope this at least gives you something to think about.

PS The Keys are on my bucket list too! I am planning to go in a couple of weeks but sadly, that may be changing, not sure yet.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Robin- Maybe I'll see you there. My dh really wanted to see the Kennedy Space Center.

Scoutpup- you sound like a fun person, thanks for your list!

I bought show tickets to Cirque du Soliel and to see the Blue Man Group. We also decided to go to Epcot and Universal Studios. The rest of the time we are going to just be spontaneous.!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by funstamper View Post
Robin- Maybe I'll see you there. My dh really wanted to see the Kennedy Space Center.

Scoutpup- you sound like a fun person, thanks for your list!

I bought show tickets to Cirque du Soliel and to see the Blue Man Group. We also decided to go to Epcot and Universal Studios. The rest of the time we are going to just be spontaneous.!
We saw La Nouba while at WDW last week, and it was FANTASTIC. Seriously. I loved it, my friend I went with loved it and I would definitely do it again.

We sat in the 5th row, right in the center ~ fantastic view.

Enjoy your time alone with hubby!