Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Disney World advise??

DH and I are trying to plan a vacation to Disney. We have been saving all of our change!! When we went 13yrs ago for our honeymoon we stayed at the Caribean Beach resort, this time with 2 kids it looks like it would be cheaper to stay at the value resorts (music,movie theme). Has anyone ever stayed in those resorts that can tell me if it a "you get what you pay for" or is it "Disney nice"? I just don't want to get down there and not like where I am sleeping. KWIM??
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwacker View Post
DH and I are trying to plan a vacation to Disney. We have been saving all of our change!! When we went 13yrs ago for our honeymoon we stayed at the Caribean Beach resort, this time with 2 kids it looks like it would be cheaper to stay at the value resorts (music,movie theme). Has anyone ever stayed in those resorts that can tell me if it a "you get what you pay for" or is it "Disney nice"? I just don't want to get down there and not like where I am sleeping. KWIM??

We have stayed high $$$$ and we have stayed at the value resorts.

With kids I will continue to go back to the value resorts.

I think they are great and "geared" for kids.

The rooms are smaller than we had in the high $$$$ resorts but we were hardly in the room anyway.

Snack bars and food were just as good as any other place.

The only drawback is transportation is not as easy. You have to take a bus to the transportation center.

It can get crowded at the waiting areas but no one was rude or nasty and the buses run every few minutes so it was not "that" bad.

Made traveling back at night a little "rough" when one of the kids would fall asleep and needed to be carried but the "value" part allows us a full weeks stay instead of 4 days.

I don't know if you can go to Places To Go and pull up old threads but there used to be several of them there.

Disney has a board you can visit that will answer all your questions.

I can't remember the exact site name but I am sure someone can tell you.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

The rooms were just as clean. People just as nice and we still got the little "Towel Pets" so the kids were happy.

Pools are just as big if not bigger and are just as clean.

We have only stayed at Pop Century(twice)so I do not know about the others.

I think middle DD stayed at the Sports one.

ALSO....If DH or kids like Sports you need to go over to the Sports Complex.

We took a cab and it was well worth the $10.00 not to ride the "long way around" on the bus.

I detest the buses anyway.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Granny! I keep researching and trying different weeks to see which is most cost effective.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
We have stayed high $$$$ and we have stayed at the value resorts.

With kids I will continue to go back to the value resorts.

I think they are great and "geared" for kids.

The rooms are smaller than we had in the high $$$$ resorts but we were hardly in the room anyway.

Snack bars and food were just as good as any other place.

The only drawback is transportation is not as easy. You have to take a bus to the transportation center.

It can get crowded at the waiting areas but no one was rude or nasty and the buses run every few minutes so it was not "that" bad.

Made traveling back at night a little "rough" when one of the kids would fall asleep and needed to be carried but the "value" part allows us a full weeks stay instead of 4 days.

I don't know if you can go to Places To Go and pull up old threads but there used to be several of them there.

Disney has a board you can visit that will answer all your questions.

I can't remember the exact site name but I am sure someone can tell you.

I just wanted to make a quick correction here.

When you take Disney transportation, it will take you either directly to a park, water park or downtown Disney.

The only place you have to "transfer" to a different bus is if you're taking a bus from the Magic Kingdom to Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom.

I just returned from my 5th trip last week, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

You know we have been either 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years,several times years before that and on 2 cruises and I can't for the life of me remember everything.

It all kinda runs together after awhile.

But the more I think about it I think I do remember different buses for different parks.

I just know the buses are the LEAST favorite part of my trips. Well....Maybe a close 2nd after It's A Small World....LOL

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 05-20-2010 at 06:18 AM..
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

LOL Granny! I am with you on It's a small world.
Although it has been 13yrs since I last went, I do remember that we could get a bus at the hotel but they had certain buses for certain parks. Looks like if we do make it this summer we'll opt for the value resorts because of the cost. DH has been saving change for YEARS so it is a matter of counting it and seeing if we have enough. The kids want to go so bad they are 7 and 10 yro boys. Are there any downfalls of the value resorts?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

We've stayed at a number of the resorts on property and quite a few off property as well.

Unless you get a substantial discount (40% or so), the WDW resorts are not worth it to us. The buses are convenient (particularly if you want to go to different places) but the rooms themselves are just "meh" at the moderate resorts. My friend who is a Disney Vacation Club member called the value resorts "Motel 6 quality with Disney prices." I've never personally stayed at a value resort.

The high end resorts are really nice. We stayed at the Swan and Dolphin and it was fabulous, but SPENDY.

If you want to park the car for a week (or not even rent a car) and stay "on property" at the parks, the water parks, the golf courses, Downtown Disney, etc. the resorts might just be your thing. But we can only do the parks for a few days and like to explore the rest of FL on our trips too. So for us, the resorts are not the best option.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

PS My favorite moderate resort is Port Orleans French Quarter.
PPS We got STUCK in It's a Small World last year. OMG, 30 MINTUES of that song. I about jumped out of the boat and swam for it. LOLOL

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

At our resorts, each park had it's own bus EXCEPT for the water parks. For some reason, I remember them being combined with Animal Kingdom.

I will say that at the Caribbean Beach Resort, it took abour 20 minutes once you got into the resort to get to your stop. It was HUGE!!!! I won't stay there again, LOL.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! You poor thing! I think I would have jumped.
We stayed at the Caribean Beach resort on our honeymoon and it was nice. This time around we will be driving and parking the car for a week to ride buses. We'll only be going to see WDW. I like the convience of the buses. It does stink to pay Disney prices for motel 6! lol
Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
LOL! You poor thing! I think I would have jumped.
We stayed at the Caribean Beach resort on our honeymoon and it was nice. This time around we will be driving and parking the car for a week to ride buses. We'll only be going to see WDW. I like the convience of the buses. It does stink to pay Disney prices for motel 6! lol
Sounds like the resorts will be perfect for what you want to do. And 7 and 10 are PERFECT ages for WDW. We took our kids in March and DD was 10 and DS was 7. They had the best time of all the times we've been. Adrenline junkies! Space Mountain mutiple times, Thunder Mountin, Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Mission Space, Test Track. Oiy! I was quite literally green by the end of the day. LOL~

August in Orlando is brutal. I went last year for CHA and stayed a few days at WDW. The humidity saps your energy fast. But on a positive note, the lines weren't that bad.

Be sure to take LOTS of pictures.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

If there are any days you'd prefer to drive to the parks instead, remember that Disney resort guests get free parking at all the parks.

And even though I've gone a bunch of times, there is still soooo much I don't know about Disney!! LOL

For us, staying onsite is worth using the Magic Express from the airport and not have to worry about driving while there.

We've never stayed value, but if you go to disboards.com it's a lot like SCS, only for disney. Anything you could possibly want to know is there.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

You might also want to check out www.touringplans.com, allears.net and mousesavers.com. (My family - cousins, grandkids, EVERYONE - is planning a trip for this October so we're in full on Disney planning mode right now!)

Also, check for specials they're offering for when you're planning to go. We had our trip scheduled for a certain week, but then they started promoting their free dining plan with certain trip packages deal. Since we were getting the dining plan anyway, we shifted a few things around and ended up being able to stay for a couple extra days for less money just by going a week earlier and staying in a different resort. (We're staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter, btw, and my little 7 year old cousins can't wait to play in that faboo looking pool! Oh, and meet Chip & Dale...)

We are so stinking excited. Okay, I'M so stinking excited! I've been to Disneyland in California, but I've never been to Disneyworld and I sooo can't wait!!!!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
If there are any days you'd prefer to drive to the parks instead, remember that Disney resort guests get free parking at all the parks.

And even though I've gone a bunch of times, there is still soooo much I don't know about Disney!! LOL

For us, staying onsite is worth using the Magic Express from the airport and not have to worry about driving while there.

We've never stayed value, but if you go to disboards.com it's a lot like SCS, only for disney. Anything you could possibly want to know is there.

LOL....Same here. I don't think you can ever see all/know all.

We learn something new every time we go or from someone who comes back and tells us.

The disboard was one of the main things that made our cruises so wonderful.

Rooms at value resorts were just fine and dandy for us. We did not expect it to be luxury and as long as it was clean we were happy and the kids got their towel "pets" so they were happy.

I guess it all boils down to time and $$$$ and what each family wants from thier trip. We have spent the $$$$ and had less time then we opted for less $$ and more time.

On the cruises you would never find me in the value cabins but at WDW it did not bother us.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

We just went a few weeks ago. As a family of five our options were a suite at the value resort or a cabin at the Fort Wilderness campground. They were having a special on the lodging so we went with the cabin. It was great. We had a bus stop just around the corner that would take us to the beach area where we could catch the water taxi to the magic kingdom, or to the front of the campground where you could catch a bus to any of the other parks. Also as a guest at a disney resort you get a parking pass so if you have your car there you can drive to any of the parks and the parking is free.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #16
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincystamper View Post
You might also want to check out www.touringplans.com, allears.net and mousesavers.com. (My family - cousins, grandkids, EVERYONE - is planning a trip for this October so we're in full on Disney planning mode right now!)

Also, check for specials they're offering for when you're planning to go. We had our trip scheduled for a certain week, but then they started promoting their free dining plan with certain trip packages deal. Since we were getting the dining plan anyway, we shifted a few things around and ended up being able to stay for a couple extra days for less money just by going a week earlier and staying in a different resort. (We're staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter, btw, and my little 7 year old cousins can't wait to play in that faboo looking pool! Oh, and meet Chip & Dale...)

We are so stinking excited. Okay, I'M so stinking excited! I've been to Disneyland in California, but I've never been to Disneyworld and I sooo can't wait!!!!

ENJOY!

We have been in October and had nice weather. Still warm enough for shorts but not so hot you could not move or breathe.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #17
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
We just went a few weeks ago. As a family of five our options were a suite at the value resort or a cabin at the Fort Wilderness campground. They were having a special on the lodging so we went with the cabin. It was great. We had a bus stop just around the corner that would take us to the beach area where we could catch the water taxi to the magic kingdom, or to the front of the campground where you could catch a bus to any of the other parks. Also as a guest at a disney resort you get a parking pass so if you have your car there you can drive to any of the parks and the parking is free.

HOW fun!

About the only way I will ever get Poppa to join us and the grandkids will be to stay there.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and I highly recommend the meal plan.

We did a character dining almost every day and let me tell you a hot dog with the princesses in Epcot would've cost us $21.99 out of pocket. And a little bag of cheetos from a snack cart was $3.

The best deal we found for quick service meals was the Wolfgang Puck Express place at Downtown Disney. I can't belive that food counted as a quick service. Wonderful!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #19
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post

Definately.

We did a surprise after Christmas/New Year's Eve trip and drove and had to stay off site because of last minute decision to go.

Flying and doing the Express is the way to go.

OF COURSE....It is easy for me to say this when I am going on my daughter's $$$$....LOL
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

I keep checking on their vacation packages but they don't include park hopper passes. I really like the park hopper option as opposed to staying in the same park all day. Definately checking the dinning option out. I think I may have to call them, when I check costs they change from hour to hour. Wierd.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't have the park hopper and don't think I would've been able to take more than one park a day. Ha ha. You can always leave that park and go back to that same park later. We did that when the magic kingdom had extra magic hours until 2:00 am. And we would leave to eat at a resort and come back.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

I just mean that when DH and I went if things seemed crowded or whatever when we went before it was nice to go check out another park that day. Which was nice because we were there for the 4th of july and the Magic Kingdom was at capacity and it was bad.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

www.wdwinfo.com Go to discussion boards check out trip reports and budget board. We go during value season like early December. Have been during Thanksgiving and Christmas. I won't do hot and humid. Have stayed at All Stars Values about 6 times and their is a McDonald's at the entrance of the resorts. We also stayed at a moderate on our first trip with a package deal with tickets. Check prices for air and hotel not included with ticket. Values aren't big or fancy but adequate for sleeping and changing clothes. If you stay on site you get free parking which normally costs about 11 bucks. Disney is huge so staying on site saves time. I like to rent a car for grocery run, trip to Sea World and getting back to resort at park closing. I love fireworks. We take a folding cooler for beer and milk in room. We also pack peanut butter and jelly begals to park along with jerky and dried fruit. We usually eat at counter service check out menus and reviews before you go. Usually do one fancy dinner. Learn about Fast Passes and have fun.

f
Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Parking is actually $14 a day now for off-site guests.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #25
Pearl-ExPert

We definately will stay on site and pack a cooler for the room and take snacks with us to the park. I checked out adding the dinning package to the package we want and for 2 adults and 2 kids (who don't eat much) to eat 2 quick service meals and 2 snacks a day it would add almost $500 to the cost of the trip. I know we can eat cheaper than that. I am getting so excited. DH has to take his change in and have it counted and we sold a piece of equipment last night now if I could unload all of these retired stamps I have we might have enough to get there!!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #26
Watercolor Wizard

www.disboards.com has all the information you will ever need. Also think about getting a chase disney visa card. You get a small amount of points for every purchase and you cash them in on a Disney Gift Card - 1point = $1. We had $800 to spend on our last trip.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #27
Watercolor Wizard

There is a special deal with the meal plan going on now.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #28
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS881 View Post
There is a special deal with the meal plan going on now.

That is the meal deal. A little to much for us.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
We definately will stay on site and pack a cooler for the room and take snacks with us to the park. I checked out adding the dinning package to the package we want and for 2 adults and 2 kids (who don't eat much) to eat 2 quick service meals and 2 snacks a day it would add almost $500 to the cost of the trip. I know we can eat cheaper than that. I am getting so excited. DH has to take his change in and have it counted and we sold a piece of equipment last night now if I could unload all of these retired stamps I have we might have enough to get there!!
Disney is offering free dining this summer/fall, but I'm not sure of the dates. Check it out and see if you can go during those times.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

http://www.disboards.com/announcement.php?f=22&a=284
Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #31
Pearl-ExPert

Ok THANKS!! I checked it out and am waiting for their quote. This was not on the WDW website yesterday.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ok THANKS!! I checked it out and am waiting for their quote. This was not on the WDW website yesterday.

Please don't go through that travel agency ~ I've heard not very good things about them.

You are able to call Disney directly and book the same exact thing yourself without going through a travel agent.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #33
Pearl-ExPert

ugg! I just noticed the dates on this offer. This won't work for us!!! We have to plan for the 1-6 of August or the last week of July. Only because football starts on the 11th of Aug and DH coaches DS's team.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #34
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
That is the meal deal. A little to much for us.

We never used the food program on any of our trips.

Again...personal choice that just worked better for us.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
Pearl-ExPert

I am beginning to get discouraged. DH says to try to get the price down more, the only way to do that is to shorten the stay.

I really feel more comfortable going through Disney website anyway and not an agency. With my luck the whole thing would get screwed up!! LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

one more question

Does anyone know the height requirement for most rides. I want my DS to enjoy everything. I will have to measure him but I think he is 48"
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #37
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
one more question

Does anyone know the height requirement for most rides. I want my DS to enjoy everything. I will have to measure him but I think he is 48"
I have a book that gives details like that. There are too many rides to list, but if there any specific ones you'd like to know about, let me know and I can look it up.

Actually....even better....visit this site for details about the attractions in the Magic Kingdom. Scroll down the menu on the left side to see each attraction listed by what "land" they're in. When you click on an attraction it will give you all kinds of info, including height restrictions.

Have fun!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #38
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #39
Watercolor Wizard

www.disboards.com
www.mousesavers.com
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #40
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
Just a heads up on taking change to the bank. Make sure you roll the coins. The last time my hubby brought lose change to the bank, they were going to charge him a "service fee". He brought home the change and rolled it himself!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
FOR SALE