Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Glitter Guru

Default Any magic tricks for getting ink out of laundry?

HELP ME PLEASE! I just went to take my hubby's kahki shorts out of the washing machine to find they are covered in black ink. They have not been dried yet. I have sprayed them with Spray and Wash. Does anyone know of anything that will get black ink out of the shorts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Compulsive Stamper

Default Ink out of laundry

The only thing I have ever used was hairspray. Buy the cheapest you can find and work it in the fabric. You may have to spray several times to get it out. This is an old trick I learned when working in the fashion department of J.C. Penney's over 20 years ago. Good luck
Old 07-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Cheap hairspray will take ink off. You might have to do more than one washing - just don't dry them in between.

I have also notices that it's impossible to keep a name on a bottle of sunscreen - I'll use permanant marker to write on a bottle and send it to daycare, but it always comes off - I don't know if it's because it's a plastic bottle or it's the sunscreen, but I've used permanant markers on other plastic bottles before and it doesn't come off - never tried it on clothing though, so use that idea as a last resort as in 'these shorts can't get any worse'.

And remember, Mary O'Neil started the Hot Potatos stamp company by carving a stamp and trying to cover up a stain on her clothes. Maybe your hubby wouldn't mind some hand stamped shorts
Good luck,
Ann
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

Default Hand-stamped "GOLF" shorts

And remember, Mary O'Neil started the Hot Potatos stamp company by carving a stamp and trying to cover up a stain on her clothes. Maybe your hubby wouldn't mind some hand stamped shorts
Good luck,
Ann[/QUOTE]

Too Funny Ann
maybe I could use the set "back nine" and make some great golf patterned shorts for him!
I will try the hairspray trick. Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Glitter Guru

I just removed about 12x12" area of ballpoint pen scribbles (thank you, 3-y.o.!) from our cotton sheets by pouring rubbing alcohol on it. It seemed to be a good solvent for the ink - perhaps that's why hairspray works?

Good luck -
Alyson, who keeps rubbing alcohol on hand all the time for my budding artist's experiments...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Matboard Maniac

rubbing alcohol is now better than hairspray - according to Heloise. She was on the morning show here yesterday. She said the new hairsprays don't work as well anymore because of the changes in propellants. I collect all kinds of trivia while I channel surf!!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
Forum Fanatic

I took a whole load that had been washed and dried with ink stains to the cleaners. It was worth the money to get the stains out rather than pay to replace all of the clothes!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
First To Quack

Try the rubbing alcohol~ I washed a blue pen from my dd waitress apron & the alcohol did it get out. Use it a little at a time & flush with cool water, keep repeating at needed. Since you didn't dry it, you should be fine. Hooray for you for spotting it!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 07-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

If it is ball point ink, then the alcohol should definitely get it out. It *IS* the alcohol in the hairspray that takes the ink out, and alcohol is even cheaper than hairspray!! Besides, who wants that sticky residue from the hairspray on their clothes?

Penny
Old 07-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Alcohol has worked for me too.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #11
Cardstock Collector

Default get the ink out

ok i was just looking for any other way to get ink or paint out of clothes but the hairspray thing dont work like one of the ladies said the propelents arent the same, and as for rubbing alc. well that takes way to long. ive used a simople way of getting the stains out, dont get em in the first palce, lol no kidding aside we all have paint stores in the area right well the next time you are in the area of one stop in and get a small can of goof off paint remover. it is a very diligent cleaner and with my experience it dont ruin anty cloth that i know of, be sure to try it on a hidden corner first just in case. but it is a quick cleaner that works. once you have it what i use is a old tooth brush with the bristles cut down half way (so they are stiffer) and if you happen to smoke or just have a lighter arround or any available flame, just before the bristles on the neck part of the tb slowly heat it up so it is bendable, turning it somewhat fast so it dont ignite plastic is not healthy for anyone. once it is warnm and plyablepush back on the bristle part of the head so it bends to a 90 degree angle (looks like an "L") hold it for a minute or two or just run it under some cold water to cool it holding it in posistion so it dont bend back. then you have a small and effective spot cleaning brush. dip it in the goof off and scrub away not to hard on silk type material but you know how much presure it can take.
well my work here is done farwell dear ladies and remember even if there are no white stallions in your neighborhood, the knight in shineing armor could be driving a chevy now