Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Inking Addict

Default 4 year old + scissors...need I say more?

Well, it finally happened. My 4 year old daughter took a lovely stairstep chunk out of her bangs and a healthy snip out of the right side of her new stacked hair do. The amazing thing is that 2 year old brother was in the bathroom with her and he came out unscathed!
I could have cried....but what did I do? I collected the hair and took a picture of her new doo, called the beautician for a little damage control tomorrow, and proceeded to go down to my scrapbooking cave to scrapbook the incident. Couldn't do anything else...not like I can glue it back on or anything...ooh, wait, Crystal Effects might do the job...whatdaya think?
Do all children do this at one time or another??
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

Good for you for taking pictures to scrapbook!!

My daughter (5 years old) has not done this yet, but last year she got gum stuck so badly in her hair that I had to cut off 6 inches!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Sassy Shani

I waited until I was 11 to chop my bangs. My sister Kathy was having a sweet 16 party and I was told I had to stay upstairs in my room. Well that is exactly what I did. I stayed in MY room and cut MY bangs and then came down to show all her friends. They just pointed and laughed at me. JERKS!!! Too bad scrap bookin wasn't in 23yrs ago.....
Old 06-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

Talking Do they cut their hair? I think that is an understatement....

Ok, this is why my daughter doesn't have any hair on top. Somehow, someway, about every couple of months she is able to acquire a pair of scissors.

Someone slips and leaves them out from the craft box. Now mind you, these are child safety scissors....but STILL they are efficient at cutting hair.. I know this from THREE incidences, THREE! THREE!.....ok, still upset about the whole thing...

not as bad as my neice who is only 5 days older than my three year old daughter...here is the story....

Seems my BIL left out his hairclippers on top of the washing machine in the garage....

Mommy (my sister) lovingly made her daughters gorgeous raven locks into beautiful pig tails on each side of her head... well... Bella (my neice) got a hold of daddys clippers turned them on and successfully clipped BOTH pig tails off!!!! I don't think any damage control could have saved that head! OH, my sister was in TEARS!!

This was only a week apart from my daughter cutting a big chunk off the top of her head. At least with Jazmin, I could at least fix the bangs a little and some hair covered the spots... but Bella.....no way......Shaved BOTH sides of her head... she looks like she has a mohawk!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

My curly-haired daughter gave herself a mullet when she was three. I cried and cried. I almost couldn't bear to take a picture of her! I still don't see the humor in it, but DH laughs everytime it is brought up!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Yes ... this seems to happen eventually to all children. All three of mine either cut their own hair or their siblings!

Our funniest one actually was a 'shaving' incident. My son obviously wanted to be like daddy and shave hair off of his face .... but had none on his cheeks or chin.

There went the eyebrows!!! We felt so very lucky that he did not cut himself since it was a real razor. He looked sickly without the color of brows but they did grow back. He is now 17 and shaving the correct way ... but we did get him an electric shaver - ha ha.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
Matboard Maniac

OK, my daughter is nearly 23 now...guess it is OK to tell this story!

My husband and I had gone with our next door neighbors to the Navy Hospital Corps Ball (my neighbor and I were on active duty). We had gotten a co-worker we felt was mature (she was nearly 30, for gosh sakes!) to babysit and we were only going about a mile away. There we were, all dressed up, and my co-worker's wife and I had a sudden feeling we needed to go home and check the kids (pre-cell phones). Depending on who you talked to, it was one of the funniest things ever!

Well, I was mad at first, but couldn't help laughing and it still makes me laugh!

The baby sitter was asleep on the couch with the TV blaring "Magnum P.I.". Even so, we could hear the pitter-patter of little feet (our 2 yr old, their 3 yr old) from little girls coming down the stairs. My little darling had grabbed a handful of her wispy blonde hair, right at the top of her head, and snipped! Then she had decided to cut her friend's hair...a "big chunk" out of the back!

But wait, that's not all! Of course hair that has been so skillfully "trimmed" must be styled! SO of course, she used Pledge! Not only was there hair everywhere, it was stuck to everything!

And you wouldn't expect girls to go out in just plain old pajamas! These had been artfully "designed" (again, my daughter) with holes cut EVERYWHERE!

Now, how could she have gotten to the scissors, you might wonder? It is difficult being the mother of a genius! She had pulled out the drawers and climbed to the top of a dresser in her closet and then knocked my sewing basket down!

Oh, the grand finale was getting into the bedroom the sitter had put them in and finding water everywhere ...FROM THE HOLES IN THE WATERBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANd I forgot to tell you, they had been put to bed with Otis Spunkmeyer double chocolate chip cookies ("because they just wouldn't settle down")

I am not sure, to this day, what happened to the babysitter! SHe was gone when we got back downstairs, and she got her orders a few days later, so who knows!

Anyway, it was terrible and funny all at the same time. There were many such adventures with my daughter growing up, but never again with scissors! She has always been an adventuress!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Oh, I forgot to add that I have always thought it was genetic! My Mom had long pigtails when she was about 4 and she hated them! One day when Grandma went out to hang up the laundry to dry, Mom just cut them off. Grandma came in and said the usual, "wait till your Dad sees this" and then Mom went upstairs and glued them back on with rubber cement! Well, even in the 40's it was never a good thing if a girl had to go to the barber! That is the only thing they could do, though...grew back very cute, though, and we have great B&W photos of it!

Skipped my generation, though. I had heard the story and didn't want to end up "in trouble" with my Grandpa!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 AM   #9
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I will never stop loving all these hair cutting stories.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:29 AM   #10
mothermcbride

I always laugh when I think of my goddaughter. I know her so it's funnier to me but she cut her hair once and hid it in her mother's shoe. Her mother couldn't find the hair at the time. We lost it when she finally did.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

My 3 year old dd cut her hair. It was the day before Easter and I went out ot finish the last minute shopping. The kiddos were home with Daddy, my first time out alone (well, with my Mom) in weeks. My dh calls in a total panic about 25 minutes after I left. She had left her two little ponys but cut the hair underneath them on one side. Kinda like a mullet, I guess. Dh noticed it when he was playing with her and she took Daddy's hat and put it on. When she took it off hair was flying everywhere. He said he couldn't figure out where the rest of the hair was since what we found was not enough to cover what was missing. Well. about 2 days later I found the rest of the hair. She put it in her purse and hid it under my bed! Little stinker. Then worst part was that when he took her to get a haircut, the girl made it look worse then it did before. I had told him just to leave it alone since it was mostly covered by the top layer of hair. that girl totally butchered her hair. I was so mad! My MIL usually cuts our hair but she was out of town. We had to wait 3 days and take her to the salon and get it done right. Uggghhh. I didn't get any pictures.......

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Old 07-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

Both of our kids have done this. DD was intact when we arrived at Papas house to pick her up. She walked back inside, was in there about 30 seconds, came out and had cut her bangs to the scalp. I about cried. Thank goodness it grows back!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

LOL Just about 6 weeks ago my boys both did this. They were out in our back yard playing. We still have a few boxes of stuff on our Basketball court and I had given them instructions NOT TO TOUCH any of the stuff.

When it was time to call them in for bed I looked out the back door to see the 6 yr old cutting the 4 yr olds hair. I could see the back of the 4 yr olds head. I started laughing hysterically. Called my DH over to see what was happening. When they saw us they tried to hide. LOL

They came in... the 4 yr old had chopped to the scalp pieces everywhere and the 6 yr old had some here and there. I told them it wasn't funny because they could have gotten hurt but I was laughing because they looked funny.

I left his hair that way for a few weeks. He went to the dentist during that time too. Everywhere we went someone asked me what was wrong with him... LOL I just said his big brother gave him a hair cut and that they understood.

I did the same thing to my friend when I was little. I ended up going to cosmotology too. Then I dropped out... Yes, I'm a Beauty School Drop out.

Most kids do it... nothing to be stressed about. The only difference between a good haircut and a bad one is: two weeks.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Default 4 year old scissors...need I say more?

My daughter cut her and her friends bangs off just before they started kindergarten and wanted to make themselves "beautiful" for school..... When we came over from Germany my mom was so sea sick and was trying to get some rest when my sister cut off one of her long pig tails with the manicure scissors. We still talk about it..... That was over 40 years ago.....

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Old 07-05-2005, 05:18 AM   #15
Insane Embellisher

O.K. So I didn't actually cut my hair, but it's still a hair story. When I was around 3-4 my older brothers were big into assembling model airplanes, cars, etc. I'd seen them using this tube of 'stuff' (aka airplane glue) to put their models together, and in the mornings, I had noticed my dad using a tube of 'stuff' (aka VO5 styling gel). In my mind the two tubes were the same thing, and when my brothers weren't around, I decided I wanted to 'style' my hair and proceeded to squeeze out the entire tube of airplane glue and 'applied' it to my hair. So this stuff is pretty permanent. They tried anything they could think of to get this stuff out of my hair, but the ONLY option that worked for my parents was to shave my head completely. Oops!

Pam

You know, I really don't want people to spoil my delusions with reality.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

My son cut MY hair when he was 4. He's never cut his own, but he cut MINE! I was at the computer and he came in and said he wanted to play barbarshop. I thought he had a comb in his hand, so I let him comb my butt-length hair that was pulled up in a ponytail. So after about 5 minutes of him combing my ponytail felt loose. I reached up and had gobs of hair falling out of it. He didn't have a comb that I swore I had seen him with, he had a pair of art scissors!! He had cut into, around and under the ponytail. I immediately called my stylist and told him what happened. He stayed late after his last customer so he could "fix" my hair. I ended up with a really short do.

I'm not sure what the fascination with it is, but my son was the only one who did it. My stylist was great, though, because he talked to my son and told him he had to go to hair school and have a license and showed him his own license. I couldn't be angry with my son because, well, I let him do it, right?

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay