Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Falliday Fest Archives (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/falliday-fest-archives-443/)
-   -   FF16Scrapacat Chatter Thread (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/falliday-fest-archives-443/ff16scrapacat-chatter-thread-613608/)

Scrapacat 09-21-2016 06:53 PM

FF16Scrapacat Chatter Thread
 
6 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title: Lights of the Seasons
Hostess: Scrapacat (Ky)
Keyword: FF16Scrapacat
Date: Saturday, October 15, 2016

***************CHALLENGE DESCRIPTION*******************

I just love the way light changes in the fall and winter. There are colors in the leaves that are amazing, then we put up all sorts of lights around the Christmas season. My challenge for you is to use the Bokeh technique around the edges of a die cut or stencil.

There are a few ways to achieve this - use the SCS tutorial Watercolor Bokeh or the Bokeh Background tutorial. My challenge is a little twist on these tutorials - I only want your bokeh to be outside your shape. You can stamp a greeting or image inside the shape you used. It's playtime! See what you can learn!

VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE
View the Falliday Fest Gallery HERE
View the Falliday Fest Master Challenge Thread HERE


UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. All Falliday Fest Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Falliday Fest Gallery, with the specific challenge keyword, no later than October 31st, 2016 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.
2. You may not combine challenges, but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.
3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
4. Please donate as many cards from this challenge as you can to our four Falliday Fest card drives. You can find all the details in the Falliday Fest Challenge Forum!

Thank you for participating in these card drives, and thanks to my amazing sample makers for their inspiration!

muscrat 10-15-2016 08:56 AM

Here's my bokeh lights card!

FF16Scrapacat lights by muscrat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Scrapacat 10-15-2016 09:00 AM

Yay! You're fast and that card is brilliant!

germanstampler 10-15-2016 09:12 AM

Im also done. Thanks for this great Challenge. I think I did not understand the challenge correctly. I have applied the bokeh technique around my image. Should the place where the image is left blank ? If so, I did not do it right. I'm sorry.

Stocking Prints

hobbydujour 10-15-2016 09:31 AM

Fun challenge and another opportunity to make a Christmas card. Thanks!

STAR-FILLED JOY

Crafty Julia 10-15-2016 10:20 AM

FF16Scrapacat Thanksgiving Abundance
 
Yes, I leaped over Halloween, though I did include some pumpkins- for my watercolor bokeh crafted crinkled card. Added a "vine like wreath" for my top border (reverse cut on Sizzix christmas tree #2 die) and added a fussy cut girl in a large pumpkin. I used a rectangular acrylic block and a dc circle for my bokeh images. Here's FF16Scrapacat Thanksgiving Abundance

tessaduck 10-15-2016 10:57 AM

Got it! Beat the storm! FF16Scrapacat tea-riffic

tigerlily55 10-15-2016 11:23 AM

Question
 
I've never done bokay before. My colors are bright red, gold and green. I am using WC paper and as far as I can tell the paper is dry. It seems like my white pigment ink turns a pale gray as it dries even if I go over it again. It seems like a lot of pictures I see show a distinct white on the card. What's up with this?

Scrapacat 10-15-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanstampler (Post 21340405)
Im also done. Thanks for this great Challenge. I think I did not understand the challenge correctly. I have applied the bokeh technique around my image. Should the place where the image is left blank ? If so, I did not do it right. I'm sorry.

Stocking Prints

No worries! You completed the challenge and hopefully had fun - that's all that matters to me!

Scrapacat 10-15-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55 (Post 21340509)
I've never done bokay before. My colors are bright red, gold and green. I am using WC paper and as far as I can tell the paper is dry. It seems like my white pigment ink turns a pale gray as it dries even if I go over it again. It seems like a lot of pictures I see show a distinct white on the card. What's up with this?

That happens to me when I put acrylic paint or white pigment ink over dye (water-based) or pigment ink. The wetness from the paint or pigment ink activates the dye ink just enough to stain it. The goal is to soften the colors, so a pale grey works just fine. If you want a really white bokeh, seal your bright colors with mod podge, or heat emboss with clear powder before applying the white pigment ink.

tigerlily55 10-15-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapacat (Post 21340518)
That happens to me when I put acrylic paint or white pigment ink over dye (water-based) or pigment ink. The wetness from the paint or pigment ink activates the dye ink just enough to stain it. The goal is to soften the colors, so a pale grey works just fine. If you want a really white bokeh, seal your bright colors with mod podge, or heat emboss with clear powder before applying the white pigment ink.

Thank you. That is very helpful!

Clownmom 10-15-2016 12:39 PM

This one was really fun. Here's my card:


Bokeh Christmas Tree

Holstein 10-15-2016 01:55 PM

Thanks for a great challenge....never did it before...will do it again. Here is my card.
FF16Scrapacat Bokeh by Holstein - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

terry serman 10-15-2016 02:03 PM

here's mine:
FF16Scrapacat Bokah Snowman by terry serman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

sleepyinseattle 10-15-2016 03:20 PM

Thanks for a great challenge, I've never tried this before.Am trying to get in as much stamping as I can while we still have power. Big storm coming.


Starry Night in Seattle by sleepyinseattle - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

peeps321 10-15-2016 03:23 PM

Hi Ky! Here's my bokeh card..thanks for the fun challenge! :p

Bokeh Hello

jacqueline 10-15-2016 03:59 PM

Finally made it into my craft room to post my bokeh project for Ky's challenge:

FF16Scrapacat by jacqueline - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

germanstampler 10-15-2016 11:51 PM

Thanks then I'm relieved. And YES this Challenge was FUN :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapacat (Post 21340512)
No worries! You completed the challenge and hopefully had fun - that's all that matters to me!


MommaPatti 10-16-2016 01:52 PM

Looked up the Bokeh techniques and decided to use the watercolor...it wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected it to be. I'm only disappointed that the photo doesn't show the white "bokeh" very well. But I plan on doing a few more of these with this technique! Thank you, Ky, for an inspiring challenge!

Birthday Bokeh by MommaPatti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Covington Crafter 10-16-2016 06:05 PM

Thanks for the challenge, Ky. Beautiful samples from your crew! Here's my card, FF16Scrapacat Moonlight Fairy Dance. I went with the watercolor bokeh technique.

cindy_canada 10-16-2016 09:02 PM

I love the bokeh technique! I think it's my all-time favorite technique I've learned over my many years of stamping. Your challenge gave me the chance to use my new Twinkle Trees stamp set:

Bokeh Santa

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jennifrann 10-17-2016 01:43 AM

I love bokeh! Sometimes I get a little carried away with my circles.
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2757544?&cat=500&ppuser=426444

Shirleysgirl 10-17-2016 07:27 AM

Cool Challenge!
 
I've never done this before and was very pleased with how it turned out! Just love how I keep learning from all of you talented people!!! So FUN!

Bokeh Birthday by Shirleysgirl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

luvtostampstampstamp 10-17-2016 12:09 PM

Here's mine, Friendship Greetings by luvtostampstampstamp - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Scrapacat 10-17-2016 01:37 PM

I am loving how you all have embraced this challenge! It's incredible that we start from a common place but no 2 are alike. We have such a beautiful gallery! Keep playing!

c-mouse 10-17-2016 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my bokah.....this was a fun challenge!

stampingwriter 10-17-2016 03:36 PM

I finally tried a Bokeh Technique. Here's my card.

lacyquilter 10-17-2016 04:04 PM

Here's my card: bokeh blessings.

JBgreendawn 10-19-2016 06:01 PM

well its not the most traditional colors ( haha this is like the second time I have played with brusho's I thought I was going to get "fall" colors from the names so, I had to switch gears mentally after I seen what these looked like wet...

FF16Scrapacat Merry Elves by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

octoberbabe 10-19-2016 10:06 PM

This is not my favorite technique to do, but I love how it looks. Here's mine:

FF16Scrapacat by octoberbabe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

JadeOnline 10-19-2016 10:38 PM

Fun tutorial. I'm not sure my white circles turned out as well as I wanted, but I know that they're there.
Dream Bokeh by JadeOnline - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Scrapacat 10-20-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 21343707)
well its not the most traditional colors ( haha this is like the second time I have played with brusho's I thought I was going to get "fall" colors from the names so, I had to switch gears mentally after I seen what these looked like wet...

FF16Scrapacat Merry Elves by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hahaha! That's a fun little prank brushos played on us! I had to make a sample sheet for each color - one when they're painted on, and one when they are just sprinkled and sprayed. Yours came out great! Good job thinking on the fly.

Scrapacat 10-20-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabe (Post 21343779)
This is not my favorite technique to do, but I love how it looks. Here's mine:

FF16Scrapacat by octoberbabe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I love your card! Even though it's not your fave, I'm so glad you played with it. Thanks!!

guneauxdesigns 10-20-2016 10:13 AM

Here is my card featuring the Bokeh Technique!

pvilbaum 10-20-2016 06:04 PM

Here's my second ever Bokeh card. I like how this one turned out.
FF16Scrapacat - Bokeh Witch by pvilbaum - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Forest Ranger 10-21-2016 06:10 AM

Here's my card...

Messy Snow by Forest Ranger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

hotwheels 10-21-2016 01:42 PM

here is my card.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=20490

taclary 10-22-2016 06:22 AM

I really liked this challenge. I do need to work on my Bokeh technique. Can't seem to find a good white ink. Since mine didn't show up so well I put glitter on it and really like how the background turned out.

You can see my card here.

Lights of the Season

Scrapacat 10-22-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taclary (Post 21345453)
I really liked this challenge. I do need to work on my Bokeh technique. Can't seem to find a good white ink. Since mine didn't show up so well I put glitter on it and really like how the background turned out.

You can see my card here.

Lights of the Season

If you want more white showing, you can use white acrylic paint, or seal your colored layer with embossing powder or a thin coat of mod podge (or similar) applied in one stroke and left to dry. If you paint the mod podge on, going over one spot more than once, the glue will smear the colored dye ink. Frankly, I love the way yours looks!

SkyNacho 10-23-2016 08:01 PM

Here is my bokeh card.

Merry and Bright Season


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:39 PM.