Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default How do you make time to craft?

You'd think that a woman with no children and a job that does not run over 40 hours a week would have plenty of time to work on crafts.

However, a look at my art room would not indicate it. I've got several UFOs going (some are 4 years old!). I've got stuff here and there. I rarely ever get a chance to sit down and work on something from start to finish.

I'm open to any and all advice. Oh, yeah--I'm married and my husband has NO problem with my doing my thing. He's even been known to help me with bookbinding and other difficult stuff.

I can't figure out why I can't get anything done...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

No answers, just a bunch of questions:
1) What called your name/sparked your interest in the first place?
2) Where do you see yourself on the perfectionism scale?
3) What's your best guess to what's holding you back from finishing things?
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, jeaniebean55--1. I started making ATCs around 2007, buying Somerset Studio and doing a lot of vintage-based art. I love old photos. Went to a couple of art retreats and had a blast.
2. Oh, that is a good one--I'm a total perfectionist; and so
3. Perfectionism is the answer to #3.
Unread 10-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah, perfectionism ... I have such a love/hate relationship with that gremlin! lol! On one hand, it pushes me to go further than I might have and get to places I didn't think I'd be, on the other hand, when out of control, it can stop me from ever starting a thing or if I've completed a project, it's sure to keep me focused on those details and places where it isn't quite right ... grrrrrrrr!!!!

So, maybe what works for me will have a kernel of something that you find helpful, but no worries if none of it applies.

I'm so fortunate right now, in that I have a room just for my stamping. That allows me to leave things out and undone and close the door if company is coming. That's huge. It allows me to have a thing out and I can step away from it, play with it a bit more, step away again ... and it scratches that perfectionist itch that wants to make these bits of paper and inks and ribbons and such into some wondrous work of art.

But there are two other kinds of projects I have too. One ... I have an 'ideas' binder with lots of pictures of lovelies that either I've done, I've collected from here or pinterest, and this is my 'go to' when I need a card for a specific occasion. Now I don't have to sweat, worrying that what is in my head may not happen irl and I'm in a time crunch. What I choose is within my skill zone and time limit and it's fun to put it together.

The other ... I make time to experiment, play and create 'throw away' cards. If they're nothing more than instructional (well, that didn't work or hmmmm, I like the way those things play together) but never amount to anything more, that's all good and part of the process. If this goes directly into the recycle bin, mission accomplished. But I also have a box with interesting pieces from this that may emerge again as part of something else, or maybe will eventually end up in the recycle bin after all, but it's still all good. Others from this project turn into 'OK cards' and there's a local assisted living center that loves to take them. and once in a while something emerges that is 'just right' for that special someone, but that's not the point of this project. making plenty of throw aways is.

and then, I have ebbs and flows with card making, and I'm really OK with respecting that. I got into this mad hobby because it gave me so much joy, and at the end of the day, that's what I'm after ... joy. If I'm not having fun, if there isn't some delight or joy, then I'm not having it. Got plenty of other things in my life loaded with shoulds and oughts ... those things stay on the other side of my craft room door.

Like I said ... none of this may be helpful to you, but if it sparks something for you, then yay! (and others here may have lots of way better ideas. I'm retired now, but others have full time jobs and a family to boot and still get some good crafty time in ... whew!)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 10-05-2017 at 01:43 PM..
grateful2bsaved and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 10-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

nevermind ... (post above is way longer than I intended)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 10-05-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Unread 10-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

That's OK! I don't mind long posts at all.

I am also fortunate to have my own craft room. I can and do leave things out, either on the work table or in shallow boxes in my Expedit (some UFOs, for e.g.).

I think I put too much pressure on myself and I never do "throw away" items. Maybe that is something I should try.

Thanks for your kind suggestions.
jeaniebean55 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 10-06-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know exactly how I came across this, but I've appreciated the 'play around and see what happens' concept jenniebellie encourages (she's also great at using recycled materials in a lot of her things, and I wonder if that's how I came across her.):

I haven't stepped into the world of art journaling, but love some of the people who take you on their 'process' journey. Cat Hand is another (I think she does ATC cards, too)

It's a weird shift, to just enjoy the journey, the process, and not have a designated end point ... but boy, I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun along the way.

(as always, if any of this is helpful, yay! but no worries if it's not what you're looking for.)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 10-06-2017 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: adding links
Louisa May likes this post.
Unread 10-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

one last thought, then I'll shush up and let others chime in: part of how/why I got started was the social piece. There were a bunch of us who got excited about stamping and card making at the same time. Three of us lived on the same street and we'd get together at one or the others houses and work on projects, chat, and enjoy each others company. we've all moved away from our neighborhood now, and finding friends who like to play with paper and ink hasn't been easy in my new neighborhood. I've invited some new friends over to play with my toys, but so far, no one has gotten too excited. It's a weird hobby, because there's a lot of 'I need to be alone in this process' but there's a need for the social, too. and for me ... I'm not a peeply person. a few friends are fine, a crop or swap ... doesn't work for me (although I know lots of folk really enjoy that).
jeannemlehrman and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 10-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the link to the video! I've heard of jenniebellie but haven't watched any of her process vids.

I wish I had a friend nearby who liked to do crafts. As it stands now, it's a pretty solitary thing for me.
Unread 10-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
I wish I had a friend nearby who liked to do crafts. As it stands now, it's a pretty solitary thing for me.
I know. sigh ... I have a friend who crochets and another who knits and we may have to just be a 'mixed media gang', lol!
Unread 10-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

You need to make a schedule for all your to do for the week and schedule time in you craft room. Even if you just go piddle around in there.
Unread 10-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Crimping Master

I wish I had an answer. I find I have little free time but try to schedule time when I have a long weekend or a break (I work for the school system). I also don't like to do anything unless I have at least a few hours. I keep thinking I'm going to work past that, but I haven't yet! If I have 35 minutes to at least make card bases/cut out with the Cricut I should do it. I started as a scrapbooker, but I rarely do that these days unless I go on a retreat with some folks (2-3 times a year). Again, I should make use of the short periods of time I have!
Unread 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I actually do have time to craft most days as my three daughters are in middle and high school during the day and I don't work, but I'll find myself not crafting simply because it seems like too much effort to start the process. I will find other tasks to do instead. One trick I use to overcome the "too much effort" hurdle (because I want to want to craft and once I jump in I do have fun!) is to leave a project unfinished. That way, when I go to my craft desk, I can immediately pick up where I left off without a thought - no effort required to begin! Once I spend 15 minutes or so working on my left-unfinished project, I am in the crafty zone and having fun and the ideas begin to flow.

Another trick is to start a crafty session by caseing a card. There are SU! demos whose video classes I enjoy and I will create right along with them. Doing this makes me feel like I am stamping with someone without their actual presence (I cannot create when I am with other people).

I suggest examining what you think your time hurdles are, as a poster above said. For some, it is a job or family responsibilities. For others, it is perfectionism or an inability to craft in fits and starts. For me, it is just getting started. I hope everyone's suggestions have given you help!
Unread 12-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
Glitter Guru

Pretty much I make time to craft by getting up between 4:30 and 5:30 every morning - I do my crafting till 7AM and then get ready for work - If you don't set aside a specific time (just like a doctors appt.) you'll never do it!!!

Proud Fan Club Member
RAK
Guest Designer Color Challenge July 2017
Unread 12-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

I so hear you. There are days when I can not take time out to do any type of crafting. However on weekends I do try to catch up. Sometimes 30 minutes.here and 20 minutes there. When ever I can steal a few precious moments that is my me time.

Barb
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Default for the perfectionists out there ...

just came across this, so glad I did! have a feeling there are a few others out there in SCSland who might appreciate this woman and her grappling with the dimensions of perfectionism and creativity.

(be advised, the f-word is part of the title of a book she's chewing on and discussing)

Unread 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
You'd think that a woman with no children and a job that does not run over 40 hours a week would have plenty of time to work on crafts.

However, a look at my art room would not indicate it. I've got several UFOs going (some are 4 years old!). I've got stuff here and there. I rarely ever get a chance to sit down and work on something from start to finish.

I'm open to any and all advice. Oh, yeah--I'm married and my husband has NO problem with my doing my thing. He's even been known to help me with bookbinding and other difficult stuff.

I can't figure out why I can't get anything done...

I have exactly the same problem!! So frustrating.. Could it stem from 1.) too much on your/my plate or 2.) a fear of failure

???????
Shirl
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
Rubber Obsessor

Fear of failure, for sure!