In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #3681
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I always thought of religious teachings as stories that were told to "scare" groups into following somebody's ideals of wrong and right.
Ahh, if only that was true for me too! I was in one of the groups that were successfully "scared". So many people are afraid of hell. My mom still tries to use the fear of hell to convert me. She herself is afraid of it.

My co-worker (the one with whom I loooove debating this stuff) sometimes brings up my DH. She says stuff like "wouldn't you feel bad if he died and went to hell and then you became saved so you would go to heaven, but he wouldn't be there?" I always reply that it is a question that is non-applicable to me because as long as I have free will, I will never worship her evil God, who saw fit to create a hell that he knew the vast majority of the human race would enter (according to my interpretation of the Bible).

And I think my sister tells her son about the fate (hell) of people who are not "children of God".

So much fear-mongering.

I wonder how many people would actually still be Christians if the Bible clearly stated that there was no hell, no eternal suffering, no eternal burning?? Possibly only the Jehovah Witnesses would remain, and most mainstream Christians consider those people "not Christians".
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #3682
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,140
Default

You know I've always felt there was so much contradiction in the religious jargon.

You have free will but must believe in fate.

God made you in his image yet there are all shades of humans and two genders

You'll go to hell for being a bad person but bad things might still happen to you if you are good.

And it seems God ONLY teaches thru really horrible circumstances. Seems I was suppose to learn something really deep when I was pregnant with my first child, never have smoked, done drugs, voted Republican, eaten badly, drank excessively and yet she was still born prematurely and died. Yet my MIL whose son was killed by a drunk driver two days before Christmas 1995 found that the church really helped her heal and she became some what fanatical to the point that she gives so much to the church that it is harming her health.
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~My 6th Avon 39
sewsplendidstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #3683
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
 
kthaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
You know I've always felt there was so much contradiction in the religious jargon.

You have free will but must believe in fate.

God made you in his image yet there are all shades of humans and two genders

You'll go to hell for being a bad person but bad things might still happen to you if you are good.

And it seems God ONLY teaches thru really horrible circumstances. Seems I was suppose to learn something really deep when I was pregnant with my first child, never have smoked, done drugs, voted Republican, eaten badly, drank excessively and yet she was still born prematurely and died. Yet my MIL whose son was killed by a drunk driver two days before Christmas 1995 found that the church really helped her heal and she became some what fanatical to the point that she gives so much to the church that it is harming her health.
Well....if the person truly repents for it, they won't go to hell.
__________________
Karen
{ Gallery | Blog }

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
kthaman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #3684
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,140
Default

Oh yeah I forgot. Lie, cheat, steal but say sorry and you're square with God.
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~My 6th Avon 39
sewsplendidstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #3685
Hardware Hotshot
 
Samantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 4,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthaman View Post
Well....if the person truly repents for it, they won't go to hell.
Oh brother I am going to hell. I have this beautiful card up on the mantel from you and I never said thank you. I am truly sorry. I mean it.

I wonder if I am still going to hell now.

Thank you and HUGS,

BTW, I see your birthday is coming up soon.
__________________
Sammie # 7651

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Samantha is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #3686
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
 
kthaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,250
Default

If *you* are going to hell - there is no hope for me
__________________
Karen
{ Gallery | Blog }

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
kthaman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #3687
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 103,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
You know I've always felt there was so much contradiction in the religious jargon.

You have free will but must believe in fate.

God made you in his image yet there are all shades of humans and two genders

You'll go to hell for being a bad person but bad things might still happen to you if you are good.
You seem to have taken a path similar to my friend that I meet for coffee most Tuesdays. She has always been an atheist, she said it never made any sense. She doesn't read about atheism or know the new authors or anything, she just never had religion shoved down her. She said she'd listen to her little friends and think, "how could they believe that?"
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #3688
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

It is so puzzling to me that God is all-loving and watches out for you if you believe, but allows the most atrocious things happen to all kinds of people, Christians and not... Christianity is the one true way but there are hundreds of Christian sects that all believe something different about what it means to be Christian...and they all believe that people who do it differently are wrong...and anyone who is not Christian, even if they have another faith and lead a moral life, is wrong...but yet one sect (not sure which one) believes that a finite, set number of people will get into heaven and no more...if there was an intelligent being sitting up on high, and (s)he was loving and all-powerful, wouldn't (s)he tell everyone exactly what (s)he wanted so that all of these people (s)he created could be together with her/him for eternity? Should life and eternity be a guessing game?
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #3689
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
It is so puzzling to me that God is all-loving and watches out for you if you believe, but allows the most atrocious things happen to all kinds of people, Christians and not... Christianity is the one true way but there are hundreds of Christian sects that all believe something different about what it means to be Christian...and they all believe that people who do it differently are wrong...and anyone who is not Christian, even if they have another faith and lead a moral life, is wrong...but yet one sect (not sure which one) believes that a finite, set number of people will get into heaven and no more...if there was an intelligent being sitting up on high, and (s)he was loving and all-powerful, wouldn't (s)he tell everyone exactly what (s)he wanted so that all of these people (s)he created could be together with her/him for eternity? Should life and eternity be a guessing game?

Well, you know if bad things happen it's because Satan did it or "it's part of God's plan". I especially hate that expression. Is it "part of God's plan" or do we have "free will"? Make up your mind?!

So many contradictions...
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #3690
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
She has always been an atheist, she said it never made any sense. She doesn't read about atheism or know the new authors or anything, she just never had religion shoved down her. She said she'd listen to her little friends and think, "how could they believe that?"
Growing up we went to church regularly when I was too little to remember and then again late in elementary school/early middle school. At home it was never "shoved" on me, but we belived in Jesus and prayed before bedtime and dinner, and celebrated Christmas and Easter. In high school I dated a very Catholic guy and thought that I would eventually become Catholic. (HA) I don't remember there being a moment when I "lost my faith", I just remember realizing I didn't believe in religion, then questioning whether there was a God, and accepting that there may or may not be, people can't know for sure, and I'm okay with that. Took Western Civ in college, and that was the best class I ever took and it soooo shaped my beliefs. I learned in that class that the ancient Christians based many of their holidays and rituals on pagan traditions, even Christmas is based on another God's birthday, the trinity was voted on and almost didn't exist, and so many other jaw-dropping things! Then in another class, we did one of those horrible exercises where you have to decide who gets to live at the end of the world. I was furious when my group decided to throw out a healthy, caring, intelligent atheist. Then another group said they kept him because they figured they could convert him! I don't know who I was angrier at! The "fun" activity turned into a 20 minute shouting match (I wasn't alone). One of the girls said about the bible, "It's the best piece of moralistic fiction ever written" and I have carried that with me ever since. I was very angry about religion then. These days I truly respect other people's beliefs, as long as they respect mine. I know that many people find comfort and solace in their religion, and that is wonderful for them. I cannot, however, abide intolerance and hate in the name of God, and that gets my angry. I have no problem with people who have blind faith, but to hate someone else because your book, written by men, tells you to, is shameful!

Sorry for the novel...I got going
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #3691
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

ooohhh...It's God's Will is one of the great lies! Why would your loving God will unspeakable things to happen every minute of every day?! Which is it...is he loving or is he spiteful, and if he's omnipotent (sp?) why would he be spiteful!?
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #3692
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post

Sorry for the novel...I got going
lol, happens to the best of us!
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #3693
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
ooohhh...It's God's Will is one of the great lies! Why would your loving God will unspeakable things to happen every minute of every day?! Which is it...is he loving or is he spiteful, and if he's omnipotent (sp?) why would he be spiteful!?
I consider myself agnostic. When I was in (Catholic) college I took a religion class with a very radical professor. His classes were very controversial, and eventually the school fired him because his classes and teaching scenarios were in direct opposition to the Catholic teachings. He didn't believe that the Virgin Mary was a virgin, though he did believe she existed. He didn't believe that Thomas walked on water, etc. as these things were not scientifically possible.

I remember him teaching that if God existed, then he was either uncaring or impotent (yes, he used that word as impotent = unable, try using that word with a bunch of immature college boys though ) I never forgot that.

The older I get, the more I lean towards feelings of atheism, as much as I want to believe that there is more than this. It just isn't logical.

And while I do have tolerance for people who believe in all the religious stuff, I do honestly find some stuff difficult to stomach. My mom and I cannot talk religion at all, because it almost certainly ends in a yelling match. The brainwashing that I see people doing to their very young children creeps me out.

Anyway, my thoughts are rambling a bit. See? I did it too!
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #3694
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine529 View Post
The older I get, the more I lean towards feelings of atheism, as much as I want to believe that there is more than this. It just isn't logical.

And while I do have tolerance for people who believe in all the religious stuff, I do honestly find some stuff difficult to stomach. My mom and I cannot talk religion at all, because it almost certainly ends in a yelling match. The brainwashing that I see people doing to their very young children creeps me out.

Anyway, my thoughts are rambling a bit. See? I did it too!
I completely respect the community, the morality, and the uplifting parts of religion. But I can't stomach the parts of the teachings that say that this person is better, or more valuable than this person because of this arbitrary thing. Men are better than women, gays are simply unacceptable, Christians are better than any other people. Honestly, the institutionalized mysogyny (SP?) is what gets me personally--hits home. I have friends, MY AGE, who think that their husbands are the head of the household, women are incapable of preaching, and men are just more capable and closer to God. I don't even know how to argue with that because it is so STUPID! One actually said obey in her vows! She did, he didn't! What!!!????

There...more rambling!
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #3695
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
I completely respect the community, the morality, and the uplifting parts of religion. But I can't stomach the parts of the teachings that say that this person is better, or more valuable than this person because of this arbitrary thing. Men are better than women, gays are simply unacceptable, Christians are better than any other people. Honestly, the institutionalized mysogyny (SP?) is what gets me personally--hits home. I have friends, MY AGE, who think that their husbands are the head of the household, women are incapable of preaching, and men are just more capable and closer to God. I don't even know how to argue with that because it is so STUPID! One actually said obey in her vows! She did, he didn't! What!!!????

There...more rambling!
OMG! The whole "submissive wife" thing - another thing that makes my stomach churn. Makes you wonder if they make their wives leave the house when they are "unclean" or if they would stone them if they were unfaithful...
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #3696
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine529 View Post
or if they would stone them if they were unfaithful...
OMG! At the same wedding the preacher told the groom that he should remain faithful even if he didn't feel romantic love for his wife!!!!!! ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #3697
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
OMG! At the same wedding the preacher told the groom that he should remain faithful even if he didn't feel romantic love for his wife!!!!!! ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And that is what I refer to as "holy crap".
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:52 AM   #3698
Hardware Hotshot
 
Ireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
It is so puzzling to me that God is all-loving and watches out for you if you believe, but allows the most atrocious things happen to all kinds of people, Christians and not... Christianity is the one true way but there are hundreds of Christian sects that all believe something different about what it means to be Christian...and they all believe that people who do it differently are wrong...and anyone who is not Christian, even if they have another faith and lead a moral life, is wrong...but yet one sect (not sure which one) believes that a finite, set number of people will get into heaven and no more...if there was an intelligent being sitting up on high, and (s)he was loving and all-powerful, wouldn't (s)he tell everyone exactly what (s)he wanted so that all of these people (s)he created could be together with her/him for eternity? Should life and eternity be a guessing game?

Agree with most everything you said in all your posts.... I just don't get it and never will!
__________________
Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth or the only truth. -Charles Anderson Dana
Ireland is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:53 AM   #3699
Hardware Hotshot
 
Ireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine529 View Post
I consider myself agnostic. When I was in (Catholic) college I took a religion class with a very radical professor. His classes were very controversial, and eventually the school fired him because his classes and teaching scenarios were in direct opposition to the Catholic teachings. He didn't believe that the Virgin Mary was a virgin, though he did believe she existed. He didn't believe that Thomas walked on water, etc. as these things were not scientifically possible.

I remember him teaching that if God existed, then he was either uncaring or impotent (yes, he used that word as impotent = unable, try using that word with a bunch of immature college boys though ) I never forgot that.

The older I get, the more I lean towards feelings of atheism, as much as I want to believe that there is more than this. It just isn't logical.

And while I do have tolerance for people who believe in all the religious stuff, I do honestly find some stuff difficult to stomach. My mom and I cannot talk religion at all, because it almost certainly ends in a yelling match. The brainwashing that I see people doing to their very young children creeps me out.

Anyway, my thoughts are rambling a bit. See? I did it too!

Ditto.... "creeps me out" is the perfect term for it for me, too.
__________________
Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth or the only truth. -Charles Anderson Dana
Ireland is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #3700
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: france
Posts: 322
Default

Hi there!

My first post on SCS will be in this thread. I agree with most that had been said. Mostly about the whole lot of incoherences within all the 3 monotheist religions.

When I was a kid one of my questionning was "OK God created everything but who/what created God?"

Now I've stopped questionning myself about the existence or non existence of god. I just follow the big lines that a guy named Jesus showed us and some of the commandments because I think it's one of the best ways to live in harmony with each other.
fabig1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 05:30 AM   #3701
Die Cut Diva
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,198
Smile Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabig1 View Post
Hi there!

My first post on SCS will be in this thread. I agree with most that had been said. Mostly about the whole lot of incoherences within all the 3 monotheist religions.

When I was a kid one of my questionning was "OK God created everything but who/what created God?"

Now I've stopped questionning myself about the existence or non existence of god. I just follow the big lines that a guy named Jesus showed us and some of the commandments because I think it's one of the best ways to live in harmony with each other.
I'm sure we all are honored that you chose this thread as your first post. I don't think most people find us that fast. Ah! That question about who created god... I remember my catechism! "god always is, always was, and always will be" Convenient way of getting rid of the problem.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #3702
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: france
Posts: 322
Default

I never went to catechism. My father didn't want us to study religion may be because he knew too much about it... Anyway my friends and cousins were going to catechism and talked about what they were discovering/learning. Me thinking what the hell are they talking about! and the questioning starting. Who is right who is wrong? what is right what is wrong? Well one thing appeared clearly to me: I had been told that god was seeing everything we do. So even if I don't believe in him he can see what I am for real and then will happen what will happen. All these things about saying sorry or giving monney to church etc to gain paradise is a pure non sense as it doesn't change your heart.

So as far as the existence of a god is concerned I am an agnostic but when it comes to religion I will be against every religion which believing it is the only one decides to make war to every one that desagree, or states that women and men are not equal. Mind you, I think economy is getting pretty close to being a religion. You are asked are you a capitalist or a communist?? How do you say I am an agnostic in this case

I think I'm getting "emportée" and going too far.

By for now.
fabig1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #3703
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,992
Default

Hi Fabig!
Wow you did find us quickly! *grin*
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #3704
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
ooohhh...It's God's Will is one of the great lies! Why would your loving God will unspeakable things to happen every minute of every day?! Which is it...is he loving or is he spiteful, and if he's omnipotent (sp?) why would he be spiteful!?

Because He can.

I've always felt that way about God. He's spiteful because He can be. And "spiteful" is being nice... I would instead use "malicious", "evil", "cruel".

God may well be "loving" as well, but His love is sick (according to my interpretation of the Bible). And it comes with a ton of strings attached. It is the kind of "love" that an abusive person has for the brainwashed person under his control.

--------

When my brother was arguing about God's killing of the Eqyptians' firstborn sons, my sister (religious) came up with something like "well, God made everyone; He's the one who gives everyone life, so it's His right to take it away too."

Riiiiiiiiight. To me, the God depicted in the Bible sounds like a rampaging, murdurous evil madman. The only good quality in God that I see (in the Bible) is His brilliance. He truly knows how to hurt people in the worst ways. AND, He knows how to do it so that Satan gets the blame for it. And for every believer who sees through His act, He's got Hell to scare them in line.

----------------

And when my Dad used deception to spring that Jesus crap on us (making us think that he was going to show us a cool magic trick, but then turning it into a disgusting, repulsive witnessing spectacle), it was all I could do to restrain myself from saying "Dad, Jesus is dead. Get over it. And His disciples were idiots who wasted their lives. Too bad, so sad. At least Houdini made a living with his magic."

I am fairly certain that if I had said that, he would've turned away, completely (but silently) furious, and that the anger would have festered in him until a period of time later when he might have had a second heart attack as a result, and possibly died. But boy oh boy, if he were younger and healthier, I would've asked to speak to him alone and I would've let it riiiiip. I mean, if he wants to witness to us, fine, but leave out all the good magic stuff and keep it separate, or let us know from the get-go that this magic stuff is going to lead to a mini-church session you know??

Yes. I know I'm overreacting. It is because I actually did restrain myself from venting about it to him directly. So I'm pouring it out here. Sorry.
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #3705
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I'm sure we all are honored that you chose this thread as your first post. I don't think most people find us that fast. Ah! That question about who created god... I remember my catechism! "god always is, always was, and always will be" Convenient way of getting rid of the problem.

Yes, this was one of the "Great Mysteries" .
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #3706
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Because He can.

I've always felt that way about God. He's spiteful because He can be. And "spiteful" is being nice... I would instead use "malicious", "evil", "cruel".

God may well be "loving" as well, but His love is sick (according to my interpretation of the Bible). And it comes with a ton of strings attached. It is the kind of "love" that an abusive person has for the brainwashed person under his control.

--------

When my brother was arguing about God's killing of the Eqyptians' firstborn sons, my sister (religious) came up with something like "well, God made everyone; He's the one who gives everyone life, so it's His right to take it away too."

Riiiiiiiiight. To me, the God depicted in the Bible sounds like a rampaging, murdurous evil madman. The only good quality in God that I see (in the Bible) is His brilliance. He truly knows how to hurt people in the worst ways. AND, He knows how to do it so that Satan gets the blame for it. And for every believer who sees through His act, He's got Hell to scare them in line.

----------------

And when my Dad used deception to spring that Jesus crap on us (making us think that he was going to show us a cool magic trick, but then turning it into a disgusting, repulsive witnessing spectacle), it was all I could do to restrain myself from saying "Dad, Jesus is dead. Get over it. And His disciples were idiots who wasted their lives. Too bad, so sad. At least Houdini made a living with his magic."

I am fairly certain that if I had said that, he would've turned away, completely (but silently) furious, and that the anger would have festered in him until a period of time later when he might have had a second heart attack as a result, and possibly died. But boy oh boy, if he were younger and healthier, I would've asked to speak to him alone and I would've let it riiiiip. I mean, if he wants to witness to us, fine, but leave out all the good magic stuff and keep it separate, or let us know from the get-go that this magic stuff is going to lead to a mini-church session you know??

Yes. I know I'm overreacting. It is because I actually did restrain myself from venting about it to him directly. So I'm pouring it out here. Sorry.
You're ok to vent here. My mom tries the witnessing thing to me too. I tell her, "sorry mom, I'm too old to be brainwashed." She gets so angry! Then she moves on to the children. I tell her that they will get involved with religion, if they choose to, when they are old enough to understand it, not when they are young enough to be scared into believing it. (this coming from a person who had her kids go through Baptism, Communion, Penance & Confirmation, just to shut my mother up -yes, I'm a total hypocrite & a heathen, too)

It's tough though, my mother is a devout Catholic & my Dad is an atheist. I always try to drag my dad in to my side of things, but (wisely) he just stays out of it. After all, he's the one who's got to live with the woman.
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #3707
Crimping Master
 
bksjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Probably procrastinating
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
"well, God made everyone; He's the one who gives everyone life, so it's His right to take it away too."
If I believed I could actually buy this argument. However, it's not really the death that bothers me, it's the horrors that people all over the world go through every minute of every day. There are too many, and it's too horrible, to even give examples, but I'm sure your imagination can help you horrify yourself. Death can be peaceful, but there is no excuse for allowing atrocities to happen to innocent people.

Sophie, I'm so sorry for your parental situation. It's just so bizarre! My mom slowly slipped away from her religion long before I came home with my Western Civ stories so she is fine with my agnosticism. However she still can't quite understand why I don't believe in angels, which I find really funny!
__________________
Barb
IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*IIII*
"No one's really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends."
bksjones is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #3708
Glitter Guru
 
scarlett75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
So what is the age of reason? Why are there always references in threads sharing that their five year old asked Jesus to save them or let Jesus into their hearts. Age of reason works both ways right?

Or is it "age of until they say they love Jesus"?

Wow I'm snarky tonight. Have waited too long for dinner.
It varies from church to church, but the "age of reason" is, supposedly, when children can distinguish between good and bad choices. In the Catholic Church, I believe it's 7 years old (or at the time of your first confession prior to first communion).
__________________
"Just because it's unexplicated does not make it unexplicable." - HOUSE
scarlett75 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #3709
Glitter Guru
 
scarlett75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Yes, that's what I was going to say. And same thing as V, I've seen people thrilled about even 3-4 year olds "accepting Jesus." Freaks me out.
What seems odd to me is that you have parents who will swear that their child has accepted God and knows what that means. But, then they'll dismiss the imaginary friends or other influences on the child because he or she is "too young to know better". And, worse...when you get the people who won't let their children choose a book because they "don't know what's good for them", but they'll let them choose a belief system or life defining philosophy.
__________________
"Just because it's unexplicated does not make it unexplicable." - HOUSE
scarlett75 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:03 AM   #3710
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: france
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Yes, that's what I was going to say. And same thing as V, I've seen people thrilled about even 3-4 year olds "accepting Jesus." Freaks me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett75 View Post
What seems odd to me is that you have parents who will swear that their child has accepted God and knows what that means. But, then they'll dismiss the imaginary friends or other influences on the child because he or she is "too young to know better". And, worse...when you get the people who won't let their children choose a book because they "don't know what's good for them", but they'll let them choose a belief system or life defining philosophy.
And have you ever thought that 3-4 is an age where you believe in monsters, fairies and all that goes with it so why not Jesus or God.
Here you are free to have your children "baptisés" when they want and if they want. That is the great thing living in a "laic" (non-religious) ruled country... Even the churches are for letting the children deciding very late. I've got friends who baptized (sorry not sure of the english word) their daughter when she was 11 and I've got members of my family who decided for their children who were baptized at 3 months...
fabig1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #3711
Stampin' Fool
 
frosted_gorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,377
Default

My sister was five when our mom died, and we were told it was God's will/plan.
She could never figure out why she then had to go to church to worship and praise the god who took our mom away. (we were living with our Aunt, a practicing Catholic)
I don't get God, but I do think if a kid can conjure up an imaginary friend, then embracing a 2000 year old dead guy isn't too much of a stretch - though they are too little to understand the theology behind it. Heck, my 10 YO DS still believes in the Tooth Fairy and Santa.

Last edited by frosted_gorilla; 08-01-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: forgot a word
frosted_gorilla is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #3712
Die Cut Diva
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,198
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine529 View Post
OMG! The whole "submissive wife" thing - another thing that makes my stomach churn. Makes you wonder if they make their wives leave the house when they are "unclean" or if they would stone them if they were unfaithful...
Before I got married, I remember talking to my mother and Maid of Honor about, why should the man be in charge. Both said at the same time, "Because somebody has to be!" Wow! I wish I would have known at the time to say that that's not the only way of being! People-business partners, co-workers, room mates- share power and responsibilities. Why not married couples? Oh, but that would mess with that pesky patriarchy thing! What was I thinking!
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #3713
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marble Falls, Texas
Posts: 251
Default

Okay here is a question for you all....six year old asking a lot about God...he is picking all this up at school...we live in a very religious community...how do you answer questions to your six year old...when you don't believe in the big guy?

Sandra
Westwind is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #3714
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
Okay here is a question for you all....six year old asking a lot about God...he is picking all this up at school...we live in a very religious community...how do you answer questions to your six year old...when you don't believe in the big guy?

Sandra

I've told my kids that some people believe that there is a God (like their grandmother does) or gods and that other people believe that there isn't anything more than what we see here on earth. And then that there are people like me who are open to the fact that there may be something more that what we see, but have not been convinced yet.

Bottom line is, I've told my kids - well mainly my older son who is 11 and has asked about God/religion - that when he is old enough to learn about different religions, that I will encourage him to decide for himself what he would like to believe, and if that means believing in Allah or the Catholic God or nothing at all, or just being agnostic, then that will be fine. It's his choice.

He has been going to a Southern Baptist church with a friend of his, mostly because of the Youth Group they have, and he enjoys it. I look at the paperwork he comes home with and ask him about what they teach. (I don't want him fearing fire & brimstone etc.) So far, they have gotten a little preachy, but not to the point where I feel it's brainwashing. If I see it going that way, I'll be prompted to ease up on his attending.

I don't know if that helps you at all. I guess I am an advocate of letting my kids come to their own conclusions, even if that means that their ultimate conclusions would differ from mine. If my sons choose to believe and they find peace & comfort through that, then that's ok with me (barring any fanaticism or cults, of course)
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.

Last edited by nadine529; 08-01-2008 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: to add last paragraph
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #3715
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Marble Falls, Texas
Posts: 251
Default Good advise...

Thank you Nadine...I have told my son that some people don't believe in God...the fact that there is something that may be greater is something I have not yet said...he is young for that...I am still trying to answering questions about what is beyond heaven!
Westwind is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #3716
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
Thank you Nadine...I have told my son that some people don't believe in God...the fact that there is something that may be greater is something I have not yet said...he is young for that...I am still trying to answering questions about what is beyond heaven!
You're welcome. It's hard because he's really very young to grasp those concepts.
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #3717
blaBBermouth
 
stampinbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Running...always running
Posts: 36,972
Default

I wanted to let you ladies know that I lurk and read your thread. I know its open for any and all to read, but since this is a regular, progressive thread I feel as if I am eavesdropping. Carry on....
__________________
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~Albert Einstein
stampinbb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #3718
Stazon Splitcoast
 
nadine529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 15,683
Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbb View Post
I wanted to let you ladies know that I lurk and read your thread. I know its open for any and all to read, but since this is a regular, progressive thread I feel as if I am eavesdropping. Carry on....

lol, Amber - you are too funny.
__________________
~Nadine

C'est moi, c'est tout.
nadine529 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #3719
Directionally Challenged Parrothead
 
muddy otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: back to bobbing along in my kayak
Posts: 33,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine529 View Post
lol, Amber - you are too funny.
No worries, Amber--I drop by periodically as well and everyone's always made me feel very welcome. And I've learned a lot, which I've very much appreciated!
__________________
Jane
God sent angels down to earth in the form of dogs with notes saying 'don't judge, just love.' They ate the notes but keep trying to deliver the message.
muddy otter is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #3720
blaBBermouth
 
stampinbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Running...always running
Posts: 36,972
Default

I've been a reader for a long time. I drop in and check out the posts. Yesterday it was pointed out to me that by reading a "group" thread, one is eavesdropping on what the posters consider a private conversation. So, I felt like it was necessary to tell everyone I was "listening". Glad to hear no one is upset about it.
__________________
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~Albert Einstein
stampinbb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off