Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Talking Harry Potter Lovers, Unite here!

There has been some chatter on other threads about starting a Harry Potter thread, and I thought since the movie is less than a week away, and 2 weeks till the book, let's start!

I have noone at work or home that is excited about this, so I got feel the love from somewhere!

My 2 dying questions:
1. Is Snape good or evil?
2. Is Petunia a squib?

Anyone else?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Matboard Maniac

I'm so excited for the book to come out...

I'm ashamed to call myself a Potter fan though and not remember what a squib is!! Can you refresh my memory?

I don't know about Snape... I thought he was good until the last book now I just don't know!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

I think that Snape is evil.
I don't think that Petunia is a squib. I think I remember reading somewhere that they called Harry's Mom a Muggle or Mud blood. Some kind of mean name like that. Maybe it was Draco Malfoy that said it? Sorry. I haven't read or watched any HP in a while.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

My vote is that Snape is good. It seemed as if he was trying to teach Harry a final Occulency (spelling?) lesson while protecting him from the others. My feeling is that Dumbledore had to talk him into killing him. I think we might learn something about Snape that will make all of us like him and redeem him of his "Harry-hating" ways.

Gone Forever: -40#

NEWEST BIKE/WALK GOAL: 500 miles 20/500
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurafjv View Post
I'm so excited for the book to come out...

I'm ashamed to call myself a Potter fan though and not remember what a squib is!! Can you refresh my memory?

I don't know about Snape... I thought he was good until the last book now I just don't know!
A squib is like the opposite of a 'mudblood'...someone born of wizard parents with no magical ability.

I think Snape is good.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for that!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

And I think its very possible that Petunia is a squib....in fact the more that I think about it more than likely...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks for that!
You're very welcome
Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Wasn't Harry's Mom Petunia's sister? Sorry, did that make sense? LOL. I am anxiously waiting for the new book to come out. My friend already preordered it and is going to let me borrow it after she's done with it. I'm so glad she reads fast! LOL.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Forum Fanatic

There is definitely more to Petunia's story than we have been privy to, fo sho!

Snape is good! I hope!

I can't wait to get my hands on that 7th book! I won't do anything else all weekend except read it!

We have to wait several days to see the 5th movie. My youngest daughter goes to church on Wednesday nights. She won't give that up to see the movie. Then she leaves for v-ball camp in Alabama for 3 days. Sobbing... We'll have to see it the second week it is out!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Yep Petunia is Harry's aunt through his mother's side.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_01 View Post
Wasn't Harry's Mom Petunia's sister? Sorry, did that make sense? LOL. I am anxiously waiting for the new book to come out. My friend already preordered it and is going to let me borrow it after she's done with it. I'm so glad she reads fast! LOL.
Yes, Petunia Dursley. She was Lily's sister. Dumbledore made some comments in book 5 or 6, I think, that makes one think Petunia knows more than she has ever let on. Oh, I think it was book 5 when the dementors were attacking Harry and Dudley. The howler came from Dumbledore to Petunia... yeah, that is it!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

Now that I remember who Petunia is and what a squib is... I agree that there is alot about Petunio that we don't know about. I can't remember the details but I remember thinking before that she did have magical powers and had "supressed"them.

I hope that Snape is good too! Like I said I thought he was up until the last book and I'm still hoping!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
Glitter Guru

I'm rereading book 6 to refresh my memory to get ready for #7. In this book, Petunia's kitchen is described as "unnaturally clean" or something to that effect. There have been several comments like that about her cleanliness. I am positive there is something there! I also think Snape is ultimately good, but trying to play both sides of the field. It'd be interesting to know more about Snape's family, I don't think there has been any mention of them. I wanna know if Dumbledore and Sirius are really dead.

I was disappointed to learn that the book comes on the 21st. For months I have had July 13th stuck in my head as the date. Oh well, I suppose life will go on!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

My daughter is excited because the book is coming out on her birthday. She's gonna be 6 and just starting to read but she has been asking for that book for her birthday. I'll just read it to her before bed like I did with the other books.
I've always kinda liked Snape so I am hoping he is a good guy. I was so disappointed with his behavior in the last book.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn1224 View Post
I'm rereading book 6 to refresh my memory to get ready for #7. In this book, Petunia's kitchen is described as "unnaturally clean" or something to that effect. There have been several comments like that about her cleanliness. I am positive there is something there! I also think Snape is ultimately good, but trying to play both sides of the field. It'd be interesting to know more about Snape's family, I don't think there has been any mention of them. I wanna know if Dumbledore and Sirius are really dead.

I was disappointed to learn that the book comes on the 21st. For months I have had July 13th stuck in my head as the date. Oh well, I suppose life will go on!
Wasn't Snape distantly related to Sirius? Remember the tapestry in Sirius' mother's house? Or was it Malfoy who was distantly related. Dang it... Now I'm going to have to go get the book off of the shelf. Book 5
Old 07-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine P View Post
Wasn't Snape distantly related to Sirius? Remember the tapestry in Sirius' mother's house? Or was it Malfoy who was distantly related. Dang it... Now I'm going to have to go get the book off of the shelf. Book 5
I think it was Malfoy, not Snape.

BLINGO
Old 07-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Insane Embellisher

I think Petunia has Magical abilities but didn't want to be 'abnormal' so she hid it. She can't be a squib because her parents were Muggles. I think Snape was under the Imperius Curse. But you also have to take into consideration he entered into the Unbreakable Vow with Malfoy's Mother Narcissa.....if Malfoy was unable to finish his duty, Snape HAD to or under the Vow...he would die.

I am frothing at the mouth over the new book....I can not wait to get my hands on it. I preordered it so I hope I will get it shortly after it is released.

My little gallery
Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
Die Cut Diva

Oh, all of this chatter, is making me leap out of my skin! I still think Scholastic should have hired me to market HP 7 for them, I would have had #7 com out on 7/7/07 at 7:07 am, that would be tomorrow! When will you ever get to play off the numbers like that again?!?!?!?!?!

I just got done reading #5 for the 3rd time, and it was just as exciting from the first. Now, I am only about 100 pages into #6, and I am dying to finish it, although I have already once finished it. Why is it I can't reread any other books, but these books I can read over and over? Must be something magical!

Anyone else have any questions we can discuss? Me, personally, thinks there is more to Petunia that meets the eye. Whether Rowling will explore that avenue, we shall see, I guess. I hope, because since book 5 when she got the howler, I have been wondering.

And Snape, as much as I hope he is the bad guy, I don't think he is. I think he was under the imperius curse of unbreakable vow about protecting Harry, or something w/ Dumbledore. Which leads me, is Dumbledore really dead? If I recall, they said there was fire at his funeral, and he does have the phoenix........ hmm...... we'll have to see.

Oh, this is so much fun to chat with others, anyone else have anything else? I will post more as I read #6. But, I can't read too much, this is my reward for working out, I can only read it during workouts, so I actually get my butt to the gym and work out! Ha! Do whatever it takes, huh? But, I swear, #7, I will be sitting home reading it front to back. If I had vacation days at my new job, I would take a vacation day on Monday to read it!

Has anyone heard how many pages #7 is? That is the other question I had. I loved all of the 870 pages in #5, and was disappointed when #6 was 200 pages shorter. Oh well......
Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
Inking Addict

Ok, huge HP fan here too!

I just reread Books 5 and 6 to get ready for the movie and the book.

1. I think Snape is good. I think it was pretty clear in the 6th book he and Dumbledore were fighting because Dumbledore told him he would have to kill him. I don't like Snape, but I think he is a good guy.

2. Petunia a squib, I don't think so. I have noticed all of the 'unnatural' clean statements and I wonder what it is there. If anything, I would guess she was so jealous of her sister that she didn't realize she had a lot of powers herself. Maybe she went to Hogwarts one year and didn't go back. ?? Maybe she didn't get accepted?

I personally have been wondering if Neville is going to be a bigger part. I have had this sinking feeling that Harry might die. I can't even tell you why. I just feel like Harry may be a horocrux or have something that is one since you have to kill someone to make one and after he dies maybe Neville will turn around and kill Voldemort.

As for Dumbledore being dead, I think he is, but he should continue to help Harry as a painting maybe. I am wondering who will be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and if Slughorn will return as the Potions teacher.

I seriously cannot wait for this book. I am salivating!

SAHM to a wonderful 6 year old, Drew and 4 year old boys, Sam and Ethan.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
Forum Fanatic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 784 pages in the US edition (confirmed), 608 "expected" in the British edition. At least, according to Wikipedia
Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #22
Crimping Master

Is it July 21st yet?

No.....

Dinger!

2 more weeks left!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 784 pages in the US edition (confirmed), 608 "expected" in the British edition. At least, according to Wikipedia
you rock!!!!!!! 784 pages, is awesome! Thanks so much, now I am REALLY excited!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I'm happy to see other "adult" HP fans. I'm the only one here in my family. I'm going to see the movie with my 15 year old nephew!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #25
Die Cut Diva

1) I agree with what some of the others have said, I think that Snape had no choice because of the unbreakable vow. But I'd still like to think he was a bad guy ( only cause he's so mean to Harry and the others )

I think Petunia knows a lot more then she lets on ( possible she graduated from Hogwarts or went, but met her jerk of a husband), I dont know if she is truly magical, but she's not a squib by definition ( or it could be that she is and its a cover up saying her sister was the only magical one in her family)
I just want the book to come out already.... I actually finished reading all 6 of the others about a month ago, and haven't been able to get into anything else since. I started a Stephen King book I've been meaning to read, and cant get past chapter 5 ( which is odd I should already be done with it )
My birthday is the 14th, and told hubby thats all I want for my birthday - HP 7... lol and it's okay that I wont have it ON my birthday...
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #26
Rubber Obsessor

Default Aussie Adult Harry Potter Fan

Hey
I cant wait til July 21st It is going to be the best birthday ever, yep my birthday and the new Harry potter book on the same day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus my partners name is Snape.

I dont want to hope for anything to happen or not to happen for fear of the opposite being in the book. lol
I was devasted at the end of the last. Still havent really come to terms with it yet. I just can't wait..... have the count down clock on my computer!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #27
Gallery Gazer

Anyone going to a book release "party" or anything at your bookstores??

I went to one ( my first) for book 6 and had such a blast, I can't wait for this one. They read alout the last chapter from the previous book, then do a countdown like new years eve, and at midnight, they start handing them out....it is a hoot!!!! Last time I went alone ( feelt like such a geek) this time my sister and a few friends are joining me.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 AM   #28
kraf*T*y mama

Quote:
Now that I remember who Petunia is and what a squib is... I agree that there is alot about Petunio that we don't know about. I can't remember the details but I remember thinking before that she did have magical powers and had "supressed"them.

I hope that Snape is good too! Like I said I thought he was up until the last book and I'm still hoping!
I am with you on Petunia ~ she is not a squib because neither of her parents were wizards, her sister Lily was considered by some a "mudblood" because she came from a non-wizarding family. I think Petunia is hiding something that could possibly be some magical powers or at least important information.

My mind can not decide on Snape, I want to say that he is evil but I think that's what JKRowling wants you to think, I believe I read somewhere that JKR uses the characters Hermionie, Dumbledore and someone else to get across the truth, which if that is the case then Snape is not evil because dumbledore trusted him.

I also do not think we have seen the last of Dumbledore or Sirius, at least I guess I hope not. I am currently re-reading 6 to get ready for 7.

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Old 07-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #29
Insane Embellisher

You all are KILLING ME!!! 2 more weeks! Ugh.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to mariewick

I would have to go with the flow.....Petunia either has some magical powers or is hiding something really important.

As far as Dumbledores death......(I guess that's where Snape comes in) how could a 6th year student kill a veteran wizard? If I remember Malfoy was very weak during this book.

I really hope that Sirius comes back. And if Voldemort and Harry go to battle again that the others that Voldemort has killed come back to help. Was it the 5th book that their wands met and all the people Voldemort killed came out of his wand. They were able to help Harry for a brief second while he went to touch the key.

So many possibilities its so fun to think of EVERYTHING!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #31
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftykylie View Post
Hey
I cant wait til July 21st It is going to be the best birthday ever, yep my birthday and the new Harry potter book on the same day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus my partners name is Snape.
OMG you're Kidding?!?! How cool is that?

My little gallery
Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #32
Matboard Maniac

I've read the books about five times, and I think Petunia could have magical powers. I'm still wondering what that letter left on the doorstep said. I think it may play a big part in the seventh book....

My Gallery
Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewick View Post
I really hope that Sirius comes back. And if Voldemort and Harry go to battle again that the others that Voldemort has killed come back to help. Was it the 5th book that their wands met and all the people Voldemort killed came out of his wand. They were able to help Harry for a brief second while he went to touch the key.

So many possibilities its so fun to think of EVERYTHING!
4th book, right? It was in the graveyard when Voldemort killed Cedric, right? I've often hoped for that same resolution...that everyone comes back alive, but I really don't think it will happen. Oh, the anticipation! I really need to quit reading this thread! LOL It is giving me anxiety!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #34
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
4th book, right? It was in the graveyard when Voldemort killed Cedric, right? I've often hoped for that same resolution...that everyone comes back alive, but I really don't think it will happen. Oh, the anticipation! I really need to quit reading this thread! LOL It is giving me anxiety!
Ummm Goblet of Fire, so yes 4th book... Cedric and Harry are in the maze together on the last task, and both touch the goblet ( right it was a goblet in the maze) and find out it's a port key ( due to the fake " Mad Eye Moody" who was actually working for Voldemort) they end up in the cemetary and Cedric Dies, then Harry and Voldemort duel it out, and Cedric, and Harry's parents all come back to help him weaken voldemort so Harry could escape back to the arena/ stadium
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #35
Insane Embellisher

Ahhh, do I have time to re-read all the books before the 7th comes out??? I've forgotten SO much!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #36
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehenstamper View Post
Ahhh, do I have time to re-read all the books before the 7th comes out??? I've forgotten SO much!
Go ahead and try, you have 2 weeks! I have managed rereading #5 and #6, but depending how much time you have on your hands, give it a try!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #37
Gallery Gazer

I want to join in! We've already got tickets to the midnight showing of HP5 on Tuesday. DD (19) and DS (15) really wanted to go. DH is going because he doesn't want to feel left out. We're planning on having an HP marathon of movies 1-4 this weekend to prepare.

DS is re-reading books 1-6 this summer... he's on book 4 already. DD is trying to talk me into going at midnight to get the book and after reading all your posts, I think we will. She gets first shot at reading it because she's the faster reader, then me , then DS. It's killing me waiting so long for it!

I love all your theories about what is going to happen in book 7. I think Snape is good, although I don't want to like him, not sure about the others, yet.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #38
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill stamps View Post
DD is trying to talk me into going at midnight to get the book and after reading all your posts, I think we will. She gets first shot at reading it because she's the faster reader, then me , then DS. It's killing me waiting so long for it!
WHAT? You're not getting 2 copies! LOL We started that at book 4!! I couldn't wait for my daughter to finish, and she is a super fast reader. She read the longest one in less than 2 days!! We've got ours reserved, and oldest DD will go and get them at midnight! I say 1 copy for you and 1 for the kids to share! LOL
Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #39
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggab0o0 View Post
Ummm Goblet of Fire, so yes 4th book... Cedric and Harry are in the maze together on the last task, and both touch the goblet ( right it was a goblet in the maze) and find out it's a port key ( due to the fake " Mad Eye Moody" who was actually working for Voldemort) they end up in the cemetary and Cedric Dies, then Harry and Voldemort duel it out, and Cedric, and Harry's parents all come back to help him weaken voldemort so Harry could escape back to the arena/ stadium
Excellent recap! Exactly!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #40
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
WHAT? You're not getting 2 copies! LOL We started that at book 4!! I couldn't wait for my daughter to finish, and she is a super fast reader. She read the longest one in less than 2 days!! We've got ours reserved, and oldest DD will go and get them at midnight! I say 1 copy for you and 1 for the kids to share! LOL
I WISH! But DH says it's "a waste, we only need one copy". I may get a second one anyway. DD will read it fast and DS will read the hardcover, but he'll buy the paperback when it comes out.