Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Digital Stamping (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/digital-stamping-272/)
-   -   coloring your digi (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/digital-stamping-272/coloring-your-digi-483605/)

CraftMomm 03-11-2010 03:30 PM

coloring your digi

How do you color or digi's? Do you use a computer program, colored pencils, water colors, copics, chalks, all of the above?

creatingisfun 03-11-2010 03:47 PM

I usually use markers, colores pencils w/baby oil, watercolor pencils. Anything I'm in the mood to use ;)

CraftMomm 03-11-2010 03:50 PM

colored pencils with baby oil? what does that do?

Ellibelle 03-11-2010 06:45 PM

I use copic markers or prismacolor pencils blended with gamsol.

wardd 03-13-2010 03:19 AM

I use copic markers. If find the markers really display the brightness to my cards. You can see many cards colored with copic markers in my blog.

Tiffany7 03-15-2010 06:14 PM

My favorite technique is copics with prismacolored pencils over the top of them.

pinkroses 03-19-2010 03:35 PM

I use chalks,copic markers, colored pencils, and gel pens

danibug 03-19-2010 05:58 PM

I use Prismacolor markers or Koh-i-nor pencils with Goo-Gone to blend them.
HTH!

craftjunkiesc 04-18-2010 10:32 AM

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using an HP ink jet printer to print my digi images. I've been letting them dry overnight or longer before coloring, but the ink continues to smear and run when I color with water color pencils, Twinkling H20s or Prisma pencils with OMS. Short of getting a different printer, what can I do to stop the running of the ink?

cat_woman 04-18-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiesc (Post 16529792)
I'm using an HP ink jet printer to print my digi images. I've been letting them dry overnight or longer before coloring, but the ink continues to smear and run when I color with water color pencils, Twinkling H20s or Prisma pencils with OMS. Short of getting a different printer, what can I do to stop the running of the ink?

You can try a spray fixative. The one I use is Prismacolor and I bought it at Michaels with a coupon. Any art supply store will have a spray fixative as well.

LaLatty 04-19-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

I use a heat gun to set my digi images. All you need to do is to go over your images with your heat gun before you color them. It really works! I do this all of the time. I'll print my images, heat set them right after I print them and then I can color them right away. I have found though that I need to heat set each image about 30 seconds or so for the ink to set. HTH

Ldumont999 04-20-2010 08:28 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLatty (Post 16533434)
I use a heat gun to set my digi images. All you need to do is to go over your images with your heat gun before you color them. It really works! HTH

Awesome! Yes, it did work for me. I've been using perm ink markers up to now because I couldn't use anything else. The color is intense and you can't really shade anything. This solution is perfect. Thanks!

LaLatty 04-20-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldumont999 (Post 16540540)
Awesome! Yes, it did work for me. I've been using perm ink markers up to now because I couldn't use anything else. The color is intense and you can't really shade anything. This solution is perfect. Thanks!

You're welcome :) Glad I could help!

gram2boyz 04-30-2010 02:21 AM

I have an HP printer too and I always give mine a shot of hairspray. Setting it with the heat gun wasn't enough. Maybe it depends on the paper too. I mostly use Georgia Pacific. I color mine with OMS and prismacolors. On some of my smaller images I use markers.

LaLatty 04-30-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyz (Post 16605437)
I have an HP printer too and I always give mine a shot of hairspray. Setting it with the heat gun wasn't enough. Maybe it depends on the paper too. I mostly use Georgia Pacific. I color mine with OMS and prismacolors. On some of my smaller images I use markers.

I use GP card stock too, but I don't color with OMS and prismacolors. Maybe that's the difference. Or it could be the ink. I'm not sure what brand of ink we use. Hubby had ink tanks hooked up to our printer and then he just refills the tanks when they need it.

annascreations 04-30-2010 05:02 PM

I use bic markers. I've been happy with them except I wish they came in lighter colors.

stampinfool67 05-02-2010 07:49 AM

I started out this past winter with the Bic's but in March took the Copic plunge! LOVE THEM! I'm so excited to be taking the Copic Certification class here in a few weeks and learn new techniques, too! Years ago I used Prisma colored pencils, and still have them but really love the more brilliant, vibrant colors that I get with markers... and LOVE the blendability of the Copics!

EvaC 05-12-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

had this same problem with my HP....fixative, letting sit over night and heat setting did not work...
It took a bit for the ligt bulb to go off....they make a different photo cartridge for my printer. I purchased one and then just switch it out when I want to print out digital images. Works like a gem...no heating setting etc...

mouseprints 05-12-2010 09:28 AM

I know this won't work for everyone, but I have a laser printer at home. I print my digi images on that on GP paper and it works great. Don't have to heat set it. (Laser printers are already heat set.)

Some businesses have laser printers.

Trish

stampasmile 05-14-2010 05:41 AM

I use Copics. If I don't have the right colors, I use Prisma pencils.

hoptownracer1 08-26-2010 10:02 AM

I want to thank you for saying that you use bic markers to color your images. I tried using some crayola thin markers I had and was delighted with the results. Thanks so much!

Snuffermus 10-17-2010 01:17 AM

I use copics and twin touch. I love colouring in white/gray/black so I have a bigger range of those. And I got Polychromos crayons which I rarely use atm :rolleyes:

jovian7 12-08-2010 01:32 PM

I use Twin Touch markers, a few copic and another discontinued Design markers. I also use Prismacolor pencils and gamsol (OMS). Just a clarification, from what I have read, prismacolor verithin pencils aren't good for blending - I've never used them but that is what I have read. their lead is harder than the normal prismacolor pencils.

I have some watercolor pencils waiting to be tried but haven't taken the plunge yet :)

Ted 12-17-2010 05:05 PM

I use Photoshop Elements to color mine. I like that I'm able to add texture, etc.

Here are some cards I did:

Happily Ever Crafter: Digital Art

hoptownracer1 01-24-2011 10:35 PM

Started with the Bics and Sharpies that you all told me about. Love those! Now, I've been using chalks and colored pencils together along with markers, and I love that also! So fun to color!!!