Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DGC054 - Recolor Challenge - 07/27/10

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for playing in the last digital challenge - Distressed Edges. Lots of beautiful pages were uploaded and great ideas shared as well.

Are you ready for another fun challenge? This is a Recolor challenge. Working with digital images allows you to change colors, make them more saturated or less, the options are endless.

I have created a DIGITAL SCRAPBOOK LESSON KIT for you all for this challenge. To get your kit, click HERE. Included in the kit are some grey scale items, paper, bows, etc. There are also 2 tutorials included that show different ways to recolor digital items. You can recolor any item, they don't have to always be a grey scale image like those in this kit.

Your challenge this time is to take the items in the kit, any number of photographs, any number of other digital papers and elements you want and create a layout using the techniques in the tutorials to make a layout. Use the color techniques to make all your items match. So many times when we are getting ready to scrap, we pick out our favorite papers and elements, grab the photos and things just don't seem to look right. Using the techniques learned this week, you can easily make your photos and digi elements blend together.

Have a great time with this new challenge. I hope you learn some fun new things and have a creative and fun challenge. If you have any questions, please let me know or post in this thread. There are many talented members here who can answer questions and give out more ideas.

So let's get ready to have fun, to share ideas and to inspire each other with out layouts!

To start the challenge off, here is my layout. I used the elements in the kit and colored them in pinks, burgundies and tans. I then took my favorite picture of my brother and I and placed it in the layout. The old black and white of the photo didn't match with my papers and elements. I used the hue/saturation command and created a sepia of the original black and white and then gave it a little bit of a rose color to match the layout.

My Little Brother
Can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

If you have questions, you can post them here or PM me. (MaggieMayLove)

You can view all submissions for this challenge here: DGC054 Gallery

To add your page to this gallery, just add DGC053 to your keywords. Please also add SBC10JUL in the keywords. This makes it easier for us to search and find your layouts. Oh, and if you would, please take a minute to post a link on this thread so we won’t miss seeing your work!
Have a great week! I look forward to seeing your layouts.

Oh, and one more thing -- don't forget to leave a little love for others when they leave love for you. Everyone likes to read comments about their work!!
-------------------------------------------
SBC's Information Thread: Everything you need to know to participate!

PLEASE NOTE:
A New Digi Challenge will be posted every other Tuesday. Have fun and check back again on August 10th for our next challenge.__________________
Laura

Last edited by MaggieMayLove; 07-26-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've downloaded your kit. It's lovely and I know I've got lots of other elements I've downloaded that I wondered about changing the grey color on. I think I just used the hue/saturation levels and kept changing them until they sort of matched my other elements/pics/or papers. I'm looking forward to trying this technique out. It is, of course, pretty late here and I have to get up by 5:30 a.m. for work so it's off to bed for now! Thanks for the new challenge though! Hopefully I'll get some computer time away from DGS in order to play this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

This will be a fun one, Laura. I'm anxious to read your tutorials!

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

HERE is mine...thanks for the great kit and the fun tutorial.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by slprunningView Post
Your page turned out so cute, Erika. Love the coloring of the flowers and the layout. You're so good at white space!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Wow, that page is wonderful. I struggle so with white space and a clean look but I love it so much. Your coloring is wonderful with your photos, what an inspiration! Thanks for playing in the challenge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slprunningView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Hey Terry!

Time does seem to be a problem, doesn't it? I wish I knew how to make some more of it! Can't wait til you get to sneak a bit of time yourself and play!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
I've downloaded your kit. It's lovely and I know I've got lots of other elements I've downloaded that I wondered about changing the grey color on. I think I just used the hue/saturation levels and kept changing them until they sort of matched my other elements/pics/or papers. I'm looking forward to trying this technique out. It is, of course, pretty late here and I have to get up by 5:30 a.m. for work so it's off to bed for now! Thanks for the new challenge though! Hopefully I'll get some computer time away from DGS in order to play this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Hi Everyone! I'm looking for some layouts! giggle I hope you all get time to play, and if you have any questions, please post them here. We have lots of members with lots of answers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Good evening. I am working on your tutorial and had a little trouble with #4. I finally got the petal to color (the challenge will be to figure out another time how I got it to work) but when I got to #11 (double click on the layer to get the styles palette.), this doesn't happen in PSE7. I've looked thru all the drop down menus at the top and I still can't figure out how to find what the layer style is on that layer. So I'm stuck. I'm pretty sure I've seen this before but it's after I apply a style to the layer and then click on the fx on the right of the layer and my layer doesn't have that fx on it right now.

Any suggestions for PSE7? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Terry, I see the problem. I wrote that tutorial in PHotoshop. In elements, try it this way:

When you color the petal, select a foreground and background color you want to use for the gradient. Then select the gradient tool and choose foreground to background. With the petal selected, drag the gradient tool from one end to the other of the petal and it will shade from the foreground to the background color.

The inner shadow doesn't allow for adjustments in Elements, either. I just played around in Elements and you can do this.
Add an inner glow > I chose Simple, now you'll get the little fx which allows you to make a few adjustments. There is a little box to the right of the size slider and you can click on that and change the color, I chose a darker shade of the color I used for the petal and that worked to give some outer dimension to the petal.

See if these work for you and I am sure you will find some more fun ways to experiment, too! Let me know, ok?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you Laura. I haven't used the gradient tool (correctly) at all yet (just played with it a bit) so this will be helpful. I'll try it again on Saturday when it's not so late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I love how your challenges involve using our digi program and it's tools...........how fun. Gonna give this a try soon. Thanks Laura!!!!!
please visit my
GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

You're welcome, Taca. I am having a lot of fun watching layouts show up in the gallery and I am always here to answer questions, too. Have fun playing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by taca410View Post
I love how your challenges involve using our digi program and it's tools...........how fun. Gonna give this a try soon. Thanks Laura!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
Thank you Laura. I haven't used the gradient tool (correctly) at all yet (just played with it a bit) so this will be helpful. I'll try it again on Saturday when it's not so late.
I know what you mean, there are so many things this program can do, it's overwhelming. So step by step we go. I will write the other tutorials using my version of Elements (number 6) and that should make the tutorials go easier.

I think I have some more tutorials on using the gradient tool in Elements. I'll have a look and let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #15  

Default Recoloring Galore!

Here's my page! I started off working on a different page but I couldn't manage to work in enough elements, so I switched to these photos and layout instead. This was truly a learning challenge for me!!

Playtime at the Park

Thanks for the tutorials and stuff, Laura! :p

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I have posted my layout for the recolor challenge here.

Not only did I recolor the page, the ribbon and the tag, but I recolored the baby's blanket. He had a pink blanket and I didn't think a pink layout would work for a boy so I recolored it using the hue/saturation slider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

What a wonderful surprise this morning when I checked the gallery to see Wendy and Ann's gorgeous pages. The recoloring is so perfect, matching the photos to the elements in a harmonic way, such a pleasure to see such creative use of the elements in the challenge. Thank you both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieMayLoveView Post
What a wonderful surprise this morning when I checked the gallery to see Wendy and Ann's gorgeous pages. The recoloring is so perfect, matching the photos to the elements in a harmonic way, such a pleasure to see such creative use of the elements in the challenge. Thank you both!
Thanks, Laura, I enjoyed it, and I love to see the diverse ways people interpret challenges!

I just went in and reposted my photo of my page since I hadn't realized the "string" on the tag shifted when I posted it last night and it was all askew. It hasn't updated yet, but hopefully it will.

Last edited by wendella247; 07-30-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I use fxFoto for my digital scrapbooking so the tutorials I can't use the same way. But I was able to figure out what I needed to do for my software. Keep the challenges coming!

Day at the zoo! by cards_by_karen - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cards_by_karenView Post
I use fxFoto for my digital scrapbooking so the tutorials I can't use the same way. But I was able to figure out what I needed to do for my software. Keep the challenges coming!

Day at the zoo! by cards_by_karen - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Karen, your page is great, and what an adorable photo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

I'm having trouble with the challenge, I can fill my flower peddles with color but once I use the gradient tool it goes back to grey scale. I must be doing something wrong. I'm using PSE8 are the instrustions different for that program???
please visit my
GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I'm having trouble with the challenge, I can fill my flower peddles with color but once I use the gradient tool it goes back to grey scale. I must be doing something wrong. I'm using PSE8 are the instrustions different for that program???
I'm sorry you're having trouble with the tutorial. I wrote it in photoshop and yes, you're right, it's different in Elements. I am collecting some tutorials for using the gradient tool in elements and will post them here before the weekend is over. In the meantime, try this: Choose a foreground color and a background color that you want for the petal. Then choose the gradient tool, make sure foreground to background is selected in the top options bar. With the petal selected, click and drag from top to bottom. The petal should fill with the foreground and background colors you chose. You can control + Z to undo and try again as much a you'd like to get the look you want. Also, the inner shadow does not allow for changes in elements, so I chose inner glow. Once you add a simple inner glow, you will see a tiny little fx in the layer where you added the glow. Double click on the little fx and you will see that you can change the inner glow including the color. Double click on the little color box and you will get the color picker. Let me know how you do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cards_by_karenView Post

That's wonderful that you can use the tutorial in a different program. We can all share the knowledge we learn with each other, thank you, this is great fun. And yes, I'll keep those tutorials and challenges coming!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks Laura, it worked perfect...............now if I could just recolor the paper, I don't know what is wrong with me I used to be able to do this????????
please visit my
GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Hi Candy, Yea, I'm glad that worked. See you just need more practice!
You can recolor the paper using the hue/saturation option, then it's all one shade of color or you could select some of the flowers individually, color them in separately. One way to do that would be to open the paper, I used the flower paper. Grab the magic wand tool, be sure contiguous is checked in the top option bar, then click inside one of the petals of one of the flowers. Make a new layer and fill with color. It will just fill that one petal. You can shift click on one petal and shift click on another petal to select more than one petal. You can also use the magic wand and click on the background to select it. Make a new layer and fill with color. Try that!
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I would LOVE to get some tutorials and maybe a digi-challenge using the gradient tool! I just have a couple of basics with it, so let us know when you post the tutorial!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Default Gradient tutorials

Here is a tutorial I found on gradients, very basic, get started kind of one. Plus he's kind of entertaining as well.
How to use the gradient tool in Adobe Photoshop Elements | Video � Wonder How To

This one is good, too!
Saving Custom Gradients in Photoshop Elements

This should get you started. One of the challenges I have planned uses the gradient tool to create some fun looks. More later!

Have fun and please let me know any techniques you'd like to learn more about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

does anyone happen to know how to do this is MDS?? I really wanna participate, but not sure I can with MDS :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Hi Kristie,
I don't have the program (I know I should get it :o), hopefully some of the members here will see this post and offer some help. In the meantime, I did find this blog with several good tutorials. will look for more.
http://kittystamp.blogspot.com/searc...gital%20Studio

Last edited by MaggieMayLove; 08-01-2010 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristiemlaneView Post
does anyone happen to know how to do this is MDS?? I really wanna participate, but not sure I can with MDS :(
I don't have MDS, but I've noticed there are quite a few MDS tutorials and videos. Maybe you can get some hints by googling.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I have both MDS and PSE. I am pretty sure most of the techniques that PSE offers are not available with MDS. I don't think you can recolor the way you can using the hue/adjustments sliders and the first challenge was with filters which are not in MDS.

I'm sure there must be some other challenges out there that use MDS though. I haven't searched for them, but I'm betting there are!

Sorry for the bad news, maybe someone else has a better answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #32  

As I said above, I don't have MDS, but this site refers to a "Change Color" option in the Stamp Palette, particularly HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness using non-SU colors.) It's about halfway down the webpage under "Adding Pages & Embellishments," and about 6 screenshots down in that category (you'll see a picture of the color palette).

Mukibug: My Digital Studio Tutorials

I don't know if this will provide any help, but you might check it out and let us know!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

thanks everyone for our help....I don't think its possible to do this challenge with MDS, but I will be keeping my eye out for upcoming ones I can do I am so jealous as all your pages look fantastic!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Hi Kristie!
You'll be able to do the next challenge with us. I will gear the challenges so that you and others can use MDS to join us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I posted another layout using the recolor technique. Just a simple background change here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieMayLoveView Post
Hi Kristie!
You'll be able to do the next challenge with us. I will gear the challenges so that you and others can use MDS to join us!
That would be fantastic!! I am really looking for ways to push myself to get really into this program. I don't have PSE, but I think I may be getting a copy free from work so that would be great DH would KILL me if I bought another program I have the CM Storybook creator....hey does anyone know if you can do it with that program? I don't use it often because I like using my mac laptop and SC is only for PC :( but maybe I could do some cool techniques and import them somehow...uggh that might be getting too technical!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Hi Kristie,

That sounds great. I don't know what to do with the CM Story Teller either. I used to go to CM classes all the time when I first started! LOL Even though I am a Stampin Up Demo, I don't have MDS either. I have used Photoshop and Elements for over 10 years now and I'm spoiled because you have so many tools and so many ways to use them.

Last night I went to our upline meeting and asked all the demos to talk to me about MDS so I would have a better idea of what it can and cannot do. Although it's a great program, it has so many limitations for digital scrappers. So if you can get Elements, I think you will be able to really soar in digi scrapping.

In the meantime, we'll have lots of fun with more challenges! And I am so glad you can join us!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Here's my try at re-coloring..........TFL
Tyler turning her world upside down by taca410 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
please visit my
GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

That's a great try, it's wonderful, so much fun, such great colors! Makes me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

I made one more. I can color the paper but am haveing trouble coloring the ribbons........Have to keep trying TFL
mud bath by taca410 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
please visit my
GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes