Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Organization?

When I download images, I am careful to save them by company/designer so I know where I got what, but after I have done that, any tips for remembering what I have? A virtual catalog of some sort maybe? Only I have no idea how to do that or if it's even possible.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I save my stuff into a digi stamp folder. Eventually I save them onto a CD and label it digi stamps. I have a large CD holder with all my digi scrapbooking CD's and stamps. I arrange them acording to topic when able.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

Default One way to catalogue digital supplies

This post is pretty long, and I even left some things out to shorten it. I hope I've been clear, but if you have questions, feel free to post here or PM me. I'll try to answer as quickly and as clearly as possible.

I use Google's free digital image management software, Picasa, to manage digital stamps, papers, and printables. I do NOT use Picasa to manage my photos. I could, but I wanted to keep my photo management and my digital image management seperated. That's just me. YMMV.

One other caveat: Picasa is a management software, like a database. It will scan your hard-drive (the entire thing or just the folders you want to track) and keep an up-to-date list of every image you move to, from, or around in your digital image files. However, Picasa only SHOWS the images (like a telescope) and keeps a list of any additional information you may want to associate with those images (tags, categories, albums, etc.) The images themselves remain in the original file and folder.

With that said, here is what I do.....

I download and/or extract any digital files to this folder/sub-folder structure:
> Pictures
>> Crafts & Projects (just cuz I have a lot of them)
>>> Digital Papercraft (one of my way too many pursuits)
>>>> Digital Designer/Company's Name (however you name your folders)

Since I have a variety of digital images including scrapbooking kits, I have sub-folders in each Designer's folder: papers, elements, alphabets, wordart, templates, overlays, and stamps. I don't have every sub-folder every time, just those that are necessary. This division makes my life easier when I want to find a file, but I use these sub-folders to make collections in Picasa as well.

When I open Picasa, the left-hand frame shows a list of folders containing my digital images. If I select a folder, the right-hand frame quickly scrolls to that folder and shows ALL the images contained in that folder. Now, here is the power of a management software....I right click on the left-hand frame's folder name, and hover on "Move to Collection" in the drop-down menu. When I began using Picasa, I didn't have any collections, so I selected "New Collection" then typed in the name of the collection: Papers, Elements, Alphabets, Wordart, Templates, Overlays, Stamps, adding each collection as I worked my way through the folders.

Once I make a new collection, a title bar with the name of the collection appears in the left-hand frame. I can click on the title bar to open it, and each file is listed in that collection. Click on the file, and all the images appear in the right-hand frame. In other words, all the alphabets from each individual designer/company/kit are clustered under "Alphabets." All the papers can be found under "Papers." However, I haven't actually MOVED a single file or folder. They are all in their original structure, allowing me to reference and correctly credit the designer/company/kit.

After my collections are set-up, I began tagging my images. Tag information is kept in a separate file in each folder, so I didn't tag images until the folder structure was set-up in a way that worked for me. Additionally, because tag information is not imbedded in the image file itself, if Picasa becomes corrupted or the hard drive fails, the information from the program is irretrievably lost, so back-up, back-up, BACK-UP!

Images can also be "placed" in Albums. I have one album of Flower stamps, an album of Animal Stamps, and album of Birthday stamps, etc. To add an image/images to an album, right click on the image, hover on "Add to Album," then click "New Album." Type the new album name, and click "Okay." The new album appears in the left-hand frame under the title-bar "Albums."

Using Picasa, I can find and access my images in a variety of ways. I can check out an "Album," view every image in the "Stamps" collection, or check out a particular designer/company in "Folders." If I don't have any idea what image I want or where to find it, I can search. Best of all, since the actual image never moves from it's original place in my folder structure, I can catalogue every image several different ways, making it easier to keep track of all my digital papercrafting supplies.

Again, I tried to make this clear while still being concise. If you have questions, don't hesitate to post or PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Andee, thanks SO much for taking the time to type that explanation, it is EXTREMELY helpful. I also use Picasa, but I never really understood that it was a purely a management system until you spelled it out. Because it has already automatically scanned and saved my digital images, all I had to do was sort and tag them. I'll be working on it a little more over the weekend so be sure I'll be in touch if I have any more questions
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Compulsive Stamper

Default Organization

Great, I'm so glad I could be of assistance. And since you're already familiar with the program, getting everything organized will be that much easier for you.

To be honest, it was helpful for me to spell everything out. While I was writing, I realized that I could use Picasa to organize and catalogue many other craft related images such as project ideas, techniques, video tutorials, possible future purchases, and even my physical stamps. Seems i owe you as much thanks as you gave me . Thanks, and again, I'm glad I could help.

Last edited by Vintage.Ritz; 02-14-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

Andee,
I use Picasa, also. But you just taught me a ton more of stuff, thanks so much.

addicted
my gallery
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=99034
Proud Fan club member